Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hmm, jor el beat me to it again, and I'm in full agreement with him...are we supposed to start buying more so we can recycle more? I thought the whole idea behind waste management was to STOP producing as much, not to increase it.
    In lieu of posting about that ad, I'll instead mention the one for Zurich Motor Insurance, featuring yet another annoying couple in their car calling each other muppets and such...wrap yourselves around the nearest lamppost and do the listening public a favour...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Endfloat

It's open, its opel, it's open it's opel! (in an incredibly gay voice)

Grrrrrrrr, F*ck! It's so bloody annoying I just want to bash the production engineer for recording it!

Q102 by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

that ad for aa roadwatch with the kid in the background saying 'call the aa '...while his parents ignore him.............. is so so so sooooooooooo annoying. anyone agree? i just turn off radio when i hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

that ad for aa roadwatch with the kid in the background saying 'call the aa '...while his parents ignore him.............. is so so so sooooooooooo annoying. anyone agree? i just turn off radio when i hear it.

You should probably be asking 'anyone disagree?'
    Everyone I've mentioned that ad to feckin hates it...and with good reason. Who in their right mind came up with it, I'd love to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Irritating children in radio advertising are the backbone of this entire thread. From AA child to slurry Chill.ie child, they can all go to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

That Twix ad with that woman banging on about how the guy making her tea didn’t use the proper cup and didn’t buy her a Twix. It’s bad enough listening to her smug drone but when the guy capitulates and tells her he’ll go to the shops and buy her a Twix I really despair. Grow a spine you whipped coward and tell her to give up the chocolate bars because she’s piling on the pounds and tell her how she disgusts you every single day. Obviously this won’t sell many bars but that’s beside the point.

Stupid Subway ad with some gormless idiot "eating" while talking about the sub of the day :rolleyes: When will these people just go away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

ah sure Super Value...Real Food...Real People!!!

I would have thought that these attributes would hardly distinguish them from the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

No so much ads but Promos on RTE...what is it with them and their constant repeating of Promos lately? Has anyone else noticed?

Last night alone they played the same promo for The Clinic 3 times in an hour and similarly for their midweek movie Legally Blonde which also got 3 airings in a hour, not to mention the promos for The Late Late Show during Tubridy on Saturday night!

So, its official, with the ads drying up RTE are now filling the slots with self-promos!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Just total and utterly taking the piss. Its Monday the 20th of October FFS. Halloween has not had a chance yet to cause its usual bonfire and fireworks induced mayhem on dogs and old people and we are listening to Christmas ads on the radio. Permanent TSB/3pay credit cards are the offenders. Start your "winter" shopping while Jingle bells rattles away in the back ground. Whats next people? Valentines ads in November? Summer sales ads in February? Why don't we just have Christmas all year long and get done with it. At the rate we are going we will be having ads for it in June next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Those horribly awkward ads by various English regional tourist bodies. Almost textbook examples of what not to do.

Mike

I see someone in AA or their ads people are reading...the dreaded child and his backseat bullsh*t (Call the AA!) has been left at the roadside and replaced by a shiny new ad featuring two great goys having all sorts of japery with an AA sticker...apparently one of the goys doesn't need to wear the sticker on his face (hilarity personified) because "They have his details on computer?"...yes our old favourite the high rising terminal is back to rub our noses in their vast knowledge and charming californian mannerisms.
    I hope the AA go the way of the Icelandic banking system...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What's with that guy on the ad for Louis Mulcahy pottery? Weirdness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

...any advert "says she" or "says he" in it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

What's with that guy on the ad for Louis Mulcahy pottery? Weirdness.

Love the end of that ad - An Daingean...Dingle. WTF??

• Advertisement

VW have some ad with a guy having a nightmare or some such, and crying. Fooking annoying, and stupid. Die advert people, die!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

jor el wrote: »
    VW have some ad with a guy having a nightmare or some such, and crying. Fooking annoying, and stupid. Die advert people, die!
    "Katie... who's Katie?"

DIE SLAG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love the ad where some guy is playing Eddie Hobbs and saying "I'm the biggest whiner in Ireland." I don't know why, but it makes me laugh.

Not idea what it's for though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

janeybabe wrote: »
    I love the ad where some guy is playing Eddie Hobbs and saying "I'm the biggest whiner in Ireland." I don't know why, but it makes me laugh.

Some directory inquiry service.

I love the way at the end they have to say "This ad is guaranteed Eddie Hobbes free" as a legal disclaimer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Oh my ****ing god....that advert where the woman/fella are in the nightclub and she asks if he has condoms - he doesn't know to which she replies "sure you might have clymidia, bye now!". I still can't get over how ****in awful it was...

• Advertisement

janeybabe wrote: »

Yep also a fan of this ad....it stands out from other directory services by NOT hvaing an ad that annoys me. Not sure why it doesn't...just something funny about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I'm sure its been said here in the past, but Deirdre O'Kane and Costcutter. Oh sweet suffering lamb of Jesus.

"from our cheery telephone "hell-ooooo" to the greetings we give to our husbands "and what time do you call this?" "

Just who made her the Voice of Mna na hÉireann?

Oh, and to top it off, the NASTY jingle at the end... "always more to offfaaaa"

Horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Tell ya sommat, if I had to listen to that voice for more than uno ora per diem.....hey .... anyone got a cure for ropeburns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

WTF is with that stupid ad with Brenda and her splenda. Aargh, I want to kill whoever invented that ad. And why do the women in these ads have stupid posh accents????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

A couple of those TV licence ads are quite funny, particularly the one where the woman has heard that there's a recession on the radio so she's baked a cake for the licence inspector, "there's rum in the cake...lots of rum!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

"wow, awesome. Chill.ie have done it again..........". You don't even get the chance to tune out because its on ya so fast. That kids voice drives me nuts !!! Any ad using a child acting like an adult should be banned. The whole concept is patronising. If a child can tell its a good idea you would be a dope not to recognise it as such. AAAAGGGHHHHH.

Anyone else sick to the teeth of eircom's never ending stream of patronising ads? "Live a richer life", me arse. Yeah, you can live a richer life if we deem you worthy enough to be able to avail of one of our overpriced and under performing products. And you'll need to be rich to afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DavidLive

Anyone else sick to the teeth of eircom's never ending stream of patronising ads? "Live a richer life", me arse. Yeah, you can live a richer life if we deem you worthy enough to be able to avail of one of our overpriced and under performing products. And you'll need to be rich to afford it.
    Nice rant!

Well said!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Speaking of Eircom, whats an Uber Warlord?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Still on the Eircom topic, they talk about downloading the latest flick, is there a legal way to do this? Or are they suggesting illegal activity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I have heard, unquestionably, the worst, most annoying radio ad of all time today. It's a christmas song with lyrics about garmin sat navs, sung by an incredibly annoying american. Words cannot express how disgustingly torturous it is to listen to. I'll be honest, once it came on for the third time I felt like smashing my radio into tiny little pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, heard that this morning. Very very very bad ad. One of those "so-bad-I-change-station" ads. Not the desired effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I heard that Garmin add and changed channels too.
    The whole "mom & apple pie" american accents dont play well on irish radio
    There is also another one "thats right I'm cheating on the big apple, & not because I'm a shrill harpee but because of some poxy provincial shopping centre"

I know many americans and none of them speak like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I have heard, unquestionably, the worst, most annoying radio ad of all time today. It's a christmas song with lyrics about garmin sat navs, sung by an incredibly annoying american. Words cannot express how disgustingly torturous it is to listen to. I'll be honest, once it came on for the third time I felt like smashing my radio into tiny little pieces.

still - can't fault their logic - there's many the 6-lane highway in Ireland where this yoke could prove useful :rolleyes:

Mr E wrote: »
    Speaking of Eircom, whats an Uber Warlord?

Also, what's 3 Mega-broadband?
    It's a christmas song with lyrics about garmin sat navs, sung by an incredibly annoying american.

Haven't heard this one, thankfully, but did they have the same ad last year? I vaguely remember some ultra-annoying Garmin ad last Christmas, but have luckily forgotten it now.

I'm just waiting for that fuuking Barry's Tea Christmas ad now, then I'll be switching off the radio altogether, till the new year.

As for crap, fake American accents not working on Irish radio, can someone please tell Clearwire this? It's been 5 years, enough already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Heard that Garmin ad today, thought it was going to be the same one as last year, but it's ten times worse (yes that is possible), has to be heard to believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

How about the ones for food hygiene (I think) where the woman in the ad starts saying to herself if I get food poisoning I won't be able to go to the party and meet Dave and someone else will meet him instead and they'll get married in a big castle...There's a male equivalent of it as well where some other bloke get a promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Let's not forget the "Have you lost your lust for life" ads. WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

extopia wrote: »
    Let's not forget the "Have you lost your lust for life" ads. WTF?

Don't you talk about it down the pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

123.ie fecking ads are so annoying. You just want to strangle everyone involved in making that sh1t, especially if you've been driving for a while and keep hearing it over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Cunning

THE ONE that irriates me at the moment is for some car
    [could be a crysler?}
    where a woman goes to santa with her kid and santa says

HO
    SHOULNT THAT BE HO HO HO
    EXTRA HO'S ARE EXTRA LUV...
    ETC

then goes on about how you dont have to pay extra bla bla bla
    then at the very end

DELIVERY AND BLA BLA BLA... NOT INCLUDED
    [they avoid the word extra but they might aswell have said it}

It's a christmas song with lyrics about garmin sat navs, sung by an incredibly annoying american.

Heard that this morning. Screaming Baby Jebus, what are these people thinking when they come up with this stuff? Same tune as last years, but so much more annoying.

lol just coming in to express my vehemence for the garmin ad, but looks like I've been beaten to it....hated last years' but it was positively grammy-winning in comparison to this dirge.
    You know I honestly believe that certain ad makers use the annoyance factor in the mistaken belief that it'll somehow brainwash it's way into consumer's heads.
    Lane assist? For Irish drivers? lmao..."Please get into the left lane, Please get into the left lane, please get in..."
    I was toying with the idea of buying a garmin 250w the other week...now I think I'l just get a rival's product...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I actually like that Garmin ad ! Maybe it's because I like the original tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

There's one ad I can think of that's worse than the Garmin ad..

The one with the Scottish husband & wife shouting to each other about the Mint Viennetta.

I hate this ad.. the accent grinds on me, the fact that they're shouting makes it even more annoying and it goes on 20 minutes (or what seems like) too long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Also, what's 3 Mega-broadband?

Only noticed this after you said it, they really are taking the p*ss with that!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I don't know what it is about the Hot Press ad that I dislike but really it makes me want never, ever buy their magazine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I don't know what it is about the Hot Press ad that I dislike but really it makes me want never, ever buy their magazine.

+1

But what annoys me about it is the way they say "Hot Press, available every 14 days".

The 14 days thing just grates me....just say god damn fortnight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

A syllable shorter, but is it really a big deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

basquille wrote: »
    There's one ad I can think of that's worse than the Garmin ad..

The one with the Scottish husband & wife shouting to each other about the Mint Viennetta.

I hate this ad.. the accent grinds on me, the fact that they're shouting makes it even more annoying and it goes on 20 minutes (or what seems like) too long!

That's the most bizarre ad. "Andy where's the bag of ice cubes?"........let me think, the oven maybe?!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement