Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

OT I know, but...
    'No Frontiers' was written and originally recorded by Jimmy McCarthy, but like many other of his Irish hits was made successful by others...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 catratbat

Yeah, he has some body of work, shame it's being kicked to shreds by whoever that vocalist...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

There are a load of Toyota ads on at the moment and my ears cringe everytime they say "Taiyota". Pronounce the bloody company right, dammit. Reminds me of the "Always batter value" one for Dunnes which they changed fairly rapidly.

And accents. The phonewatch ads, which thankfully I haven't heard for a while where a guy with an articulate middle class accent talks about how he's a convicted burglar. Now there's one for homelessness with a beautifully spoken homeless fella. I know they're trying to avoid stereotypes but can't they use just average accents or non-Dublin accents? Not all crims and down-and-outs went to Clongowes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That's still not as bad as their old "BUUUHGLARS" ads about how you would be raped in your sleep if you don't have phonewatch :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Christ that Euro2 ad is the pits and it's everywhere...currently only being outdone by Ms Garmin in annoyingness stakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Wertz wrote: »
    Christ that Euro2 ad is the pits and it's everywhere...currently only being outdone by Ms Garmin in annoyingness stakes.

Not even Garmin is as bad as Euro 2. Garmin 10 times in a row would still be better than Euro 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

The Eircom Broadband ad where the voice over puts on a Speedy Gonzalez accent.

Uber-annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mick_irl wrote: »
    The Eircom Broadband ad where the voice over puts on a Speedy Gonzalez accent.

Uber-annoying!

Oh fuk yeah. eircom's ads get worse and worse with each one. The only blessing is that none of them stay on the air for more than a few weeks. Halifax should take note: change your stupid annoying ads for other stupid annoying ads once in a while, it'll be marginally less irritating that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'm fond enough of the opera-esc garmin add

Oh, crazy Garmin woman, all is forgiven. We thought you would be the worst thing on the radio this Christmas, but how wrong we were. Queue "Rodolph the red nosed Day Break" song...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

That new Eircom ad really grates on me... the fastest mouse in cyberspace? 3 meg is slow compared to other countries ffs!

The drunken child from chill.ie bothers me too. It's borderline child abuse to get him off his face for the sake of an advert:rolleyes:.

And the ad for Peter Pan. Tanx a tousand......??? Argh! SILENCE! I KEEEEELL YOU!!!

I change the station when these are on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Script writers for agency and other ads have a lot to answer for in the production of really irritating radio ads that lack imagination and creativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Agonist wrote: »
    Reminds me of the "Always batter value" one for Dunnes which they changed fairly rapidly.

She's back on now for a new Dunnes opening in 'Soggart' it's Saggart you stupid bint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I've just realised that the title of this thread is Worst/Best Radio Ads. I don't think I've seen anyone give anysort of praise to an advert :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've just realised that the title of this thread is Worst/Best Radio Ads. I don't think I've seen anyone give anysort of praise to an advert :D

Actually I just came on to say that I really like the ad for Irish language books with Julian from the Famous Five.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That fcuker of a goat in the "Are we there yet..are we there yet "ad:mad::mad:

Hope the fooker is spinning on a spit in Tanzania two hours after arrival.

The Irish version is even more annoying "An bhfuil amid am fos, An bhfuil amid am fos, An bhfuil amid am fos" yes, hope the spit is waiting!

That fcuker of a goat in the "Are we there yet..are we there yet "ad:mad::mad:

Hope the fooker is spinning on a spit in Tanzania two hours after arrival.

It annoyed me last year and it's doing the same this year...sounds like it's Neil Delamere doing the voice too...can't be sure though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Sweet baby Jebus the ad for XL stop shops and their bloody Nissan Qashqai is doing my nut. Do they just walk out into the street and grab the first randomer they come across and have them write a script there and then and read it into a microphone? It is turgid, festering muck!

Obviously from the same advert house as those "excellent" Euro2 ads.....

There's some poxy ad on at the moment for those All4One vouchers. It's a fully sung 30" ad.

Please make them stop playing it...It makes baby Jesus' ears bleed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,594 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I actually quite like the food safety advert with the nordie women obsessing about her date finding someone else if she's sick; yet I've a feeling the same ad probably annoys other people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What annoys me are all those nordie ads that have been slightly adapated for use south of Newry.
    Can the RSA, FSA etc not voice their ads with actors from the Republic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,594 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bond-007 wrote: »
    What annoys me are all those nordie ads that have been slightly adapated for use south of Newry.
    Can the RSA, FSA etc not voice their ads with actors from the Republic?

Saves money. FSAI is overseen by a cross border agency as it is (safefood); RSA and DOENI pool funding for ad production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Aahhhhhhhhh Deirdre O'Kane is back!!! Not for Costcutter but for a play she's in, where I'm sure she plays yet another misunderstood nagging housewife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I blame this thread for causing me to fixate on the Garmin ad! :mad:

Has anyone noted the annual reapearance of the Barry's Tea Chrimbo ad yet? I love it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

mike65 wrote: »
    Has anyone noted the annual reapearance of the Barry's Tea Chrimbo ad yet? I love it :)

Oh not yet. You will see my annual venting of bile, hate and language when they do dust off that particular CD.... uuggggh its making my skin crawl thinking about it.

Doesn't that bate Bannagher, please no, make a new ad ffs!

Oh God Vintners Association you are so close to driving me away from the pub.

If it wasn't for the fact that you sold alcohol, I would never support you again.

Stop singing at me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

The laptop shop ad with the girl.. and the voice that gets squeaker and squeaker.. with the dumb guy who is echoing my feelings on the ad - WHAAAAAAAAAT?

The LAPtopshop is THE number one shop for TOP LAPtops..
    Whhhaaat?
    The LAPtopshop is THE number one shop for TOP LAPtops..
    Whhhaaat?

She then goes on to ****e about NETbooks and LAPtops and baby blue AND pink. I think she may be the most irritating ad person I have ever heard in my life with the most annoying intonation ever. I cannot STAND the ad. I would rather tear my ears off than listen to it.. but instead, I switch the second it comes on. Spin 1038 seem to be the top offenders, playing it twice in one ad break this evening.

Oh, and hearHEAR on that stupid mothereffing piece of ****e Oneforall ad. Another one that makes me want to kill the people who inflict it on me.

• Advertisement

janeybabe wrote: »

If it wasn't for the fact that you sold alcohol, I would never support you again.

Stop singing at me!

Is that The Saw Doctors doing the latest one, or just someone impersonating them? Lets all go, to the pub, to get ourselves a treat, etc. :mad:
    mike65 wrote: »
    Has anyone noted the annual reapearance of the Barry's Tea Chrimbo ad yet?

No, thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

The ad for the Mespil Hotel. From a time when coming to Dublin 'to visit the daughter who's studyin' zoo-a-ology' was so traumatic for culchies that they had to book a hotel room in Dublin 4 just to get over the sight of street lights... If the cringey dialogue wasn't despairing enough, the loopy pseudo classical music makes me want to throw the radio out the window...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Actually I just came on to say that I really like the ad for Irish language books with Julian from the Famous Five.

That's not an ad for Irish language books. They don't mention any specific books, just diss other books. If their books are so bloody great why don't they tell us about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

Is this the dumbest ad produced by Ireland?

I was listening to the Radio 104 (North side Dublin) FM being grumpy in the morning I stumbled across this ad

Content goes like this

“World economy is changing, its time you have to change. Visit us for breast augmentation, implants blah balh” Orielia, City west (Tallafornia)

Are they serious? Just takin piss?

Until now I thought world economy depends on oil, US economy, Newry shopping and the builders.

What baffles me is “What world economy is do with Plastic Tits”. What’s the correlation between World economy and Tits. Or Celtic tiger alive and roaring for Plastic tits??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

mick_irl wrote: »
    There's some poxy ad on at the moment for those All4One vouchers. It's a fully sung 30" ad.

Please make them stop playing it...It makes baby Jesus' ears bleed.

The one that's sung to the tune of Status Quo's 'Whatever you want'? That ad is pure evil.

Ciaran B wrote: »
    The one that's sung to the tune of Status Quo's 'Whatever you want'? That ad is pure evil.

Yes, that one! :mad:

• Advertisement

New eircom ad with that woman from the Eaglestar ladystar "oh sat nav" ad...I didn't think eircom's range of voice actors could get any more stuck up and smug sounding but they continue to surprise me...the annoying-ness continues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Although perhaps being slightly
    off topic, being a tv ad about a radio show,the launch of the Moyles radio 1 breakfast show in 2004. I think its worth a mention as I always thought it was a very clever little ad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATeZTQTNG_M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

just heard that feckin ad with the man and his train set. It was overdue.

:mad:

swingking wrote: »
    just heard that feckin ad with the man and his train set. It was overdue.

:mad:

same here, I switched off the radio for 5 minutes. When I put it back on, D'Arcy was reading out all the texts from morons people who love that ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

jor el wrote: »
    same here, I switched off the radio for 5 minutes. When I put it back on, D'Arcy was reading out all the texts from morons people who love that ad.

:confused: How? How can they love it? Mushy, cynical tug-on-the-heartstrings crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

cuckoo wrote: »
    :confused: How? How can they love it? Mushy, cynical tug-on-the-heartstrings crap.[/QUO

Because the clowns who text in are all the same. "Oh Ray, I had to pull the car in. I'm in bits. Tears running down my face whenever I hear <insert crap song/ad>". The same idiots who just have to dash off a "legend", "class" text whenever some muppet turns up in studio with a guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Heard that on Ray, I thought they were taking the piss out of the ad. When I heard they all loved it, I almost puked on myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The ad most annoying me at the moment is that "To Russia With Love" one on Radio 1. They have a load of kids from an orphanage or whatever telling you what they want, although their accents are so bad, you have to concentrate on understanding what they're saying (not a good thing for radio, when most people are concentrating on shutting up the children and eating their breakfast while steering with their thighs at 100 km/h).

I've never figured out what they're all saying, but I think they're telling you what they want for Christmas - one dude wants a toy car: "Eh doi kar. Senk yu ferry mach."

That Garmin woman also really does my head in, but I haven't heard her in a couple of days, so maybe they've seen sense and pulled her off the air.

Also that guy singing the Status Quo song, "Whatever you want..." gaaaahhh :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 naidheachdair

Stop singing at me!

I like that one! But perhaps it's because I'm in the UK and all our ads feature menacing voiceovers telling us not to drink, not to smoke, not to eat too much and so on, or that we're on someone's database and "can't escape the computer".

"Stay out of the pub or you will receive a £60 fixed penalty for, oh, I don't know... having a laugh. I don't think we've done that one yet. You're on our database and you... erm, I mean your car will be crushed. Don't you forget that. For more information on why you're under our thumb, visit werelovelyreally.gov.uk"

Can anyone tell me the point of the Waterford Crystal Clear ad? Is it trying to give the impression that all women are material obsessed harpies, or just the ones who buy Waterford Crystal? It personifies the absolute worst attributes in people from the Celtic Tiger era. Thank god that's all over now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That yank doing the Kildare Village ad gets my goat. So annoying and I suspect the yank accent is being put on.

Ah I see someone beat me to it on the Waterford Crystal clear ad...what a load of utter nonsense, I hope she chokes on the carbonara.

Came on to mention the current drink driving campaign (a noble cause) featuring several one-sided phone convos mentioning various methods of getting to and from the pub..it's not the sentiment I disagree with, it's the smarm-tastically trite methods of delivery by the various voice actors and their script writers, that just sounds so overblown and devoid of reality.
    If the RSA want to try and get through to the idiots who still think drinking and driving is a good choice, then they should consider commisioning adverts that cut a little closer to the bone instead of this self-congratulatory pussy-footedl rubbish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I want to big up the Barry's Tea christmas advert.
    The one with a man telling a story of getting a train set as a youngeter and how he felt & in turn purchasing same for his son.

The script & voice acting are very good & the pace of it is deliberately slower than the other ads in my opinion helping it.

Very irish & very sweet, nice work.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I love the ad where some guy is playing Eddie Hobbs and saying "I'm the biggest whiner in Ireland." I don't know why, but it makes me laugh.

Not idea what it's for though.

I change channel when that Ad comes on and a make point of never using that directory service. Hate it with a passion.

I want to big up the Barry's Tea christmas advert.
    The one with a man telling a story of getting a train set as a youngeter and how he felt & in turn purchasing same for his son.

The script & voice acting are very good & the pace of it is deliberately slower than the other ads in my opinion helping it.

Very irish & very sweet, nice work.:)

And on the flip side, the ad for Cadburys selection box which is kind of the same but utterly annoying.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement