Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

janeybabe wrote: »
    And on the flip side, the ad for Cadburys selection box which is kind of the same but utterly annoying.

To me they're both utterly annoying, but the Barry's Tea ad wins it by a nose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Wertz wrote: »
    To me they're both utterly annoying, but the Barry's Tea ad wins it by a nose...

I actually haven't heard the Barry's Tea ad, but I heard some eejit talking about it on the radio the other day and he thought it was lovely.

It was Angus McNally (Sp?) who was talking about it so I presume I will hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The current Meteor ad (TV & radio) is pretty annoying, because the guys voicing the reindeers say "Meedee-yor"....

You'd imagine they'd get the name of the company right, wouldn't you ?

If it wasn't for the "offical" V/O at the end, you'd never hear the real name of the company.

I actually haven't heard the Barry's Tea ad, but I heard some eejit talking about it on the radio the other day and he thought it was lovely.

It was Angus McNally (Sp?) who was talking about it so I presume I will hate it.

I'm surprised, it's been doing the rounds for about 3-4 years now and has featured in this thread on more than one occasion. There's something so twee and hackneyed about it (maybe I'm just a cynic) and repeated play really hammers home the annoyingness. It's sole saving grace is that it only gets rolled out for a few weeks at Christmas. D'arcy listeners voted it their favourite radio ad the other morning, which speaks volumes...

I'm surprised, it's been doing the rounds for about 3-4 years now and has featured in this thread on more than one occasion. There's something so twee and hackneyed about it (maybe I'm just a cynic) and repeated play really hammers home the annoyingness. It's sole saving grace is that it only gets rolled out for a few weeks at Christmas. D'arcy listeners voted it their favourite radio ad the other morning, which speaks volumes...

Automatically hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think you need to be a certain age to appreciate it.

Meanwhile the Garmin ad is still pissing off every demographic. Make it stop! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bum Boy

Gobble gobble !

It gives me a pain in the hoop and I just have to change station . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

That Safe Food ad.."...She'll be all nice and SHLLLINKEHHH".

I hate it when she says that word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Good old Aengus,the man who who makes Tom Dunne seem edgy and avant garde:P

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Meanwhile the Garmin ad is still pissing off every demographic. Make it stop! :(

God I hope I'm put down before I get to that astonomical figure.
    That's coming from someone who had once got a trainset for christmas and would certainly be pushing the demographic this claptrap is aimed at...
    Choo Choo!

Fully agree about the garmin ad...the more I hear it the more I can't help but chuckle...she sounds like a strangled cat at one point and a fat cow for most of the rest. I'd love to know if the ad in question has had a positive impact on Garmin's sales figures...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

"need lane assist"....sounds like she's pushing one out.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

Rule 1/ Neutral accents only, unless it's funny.
    -sub-rule a) You are no judge of what is funny, neither are your friends, nor are your colleagues (especially not your colleagues). Hire a professional comedian for advice (not Deirdre O'Kane), we will provide a list.

Rule 2/ Posh accents are only funny if they are English. It's a proven fact.

Rule 3/ Children should be seen and not heard. Where did you muppets lose track of this basic rule? (Yes, lose is spelled correctly).

Rule 4/ Do NOT accept work from cnust like AA, Eircom, RTE, Garmin or any other proven idiot of the nations ariwaves.

Rule 5/ Track down your radio advertising course lecturer and put them (and us) out of their misery.

Rule 6/ This rule book can be extended by anyone NOT involved in marketing or sales (you are respnsible for the utter flockin shyte that stands for radio advertising as it now stands, we are taking it back from you bunch of cnuts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Delphi...

Delphi...

Delphi...

Shut it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

"Hoi. Oi'm the most woyleeee man in Oireland..." <flick>

Thats all I've heard of that ad for a while now, it always makes me change the station.

Wheezy Garmin Yank is another one. Isn't Lane Assist something you might need somewhere like LA where you have 6 lane freeways? Pretty bloody useless in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The script & voice acting are very good & the pace of it is deliberately slower than the other ads in my opinion helping it.

Very irish & very sweet, nice work.:)

Very smarmy, fake, sickeningly sweet, condescending, and utterly, utterly pointless. Anyone who cries when hearing this ad (other than tears of hatred) is an idiot. And yes, people were crying on hearing it.

There was even some story done on Ray D'Arcy show, where some woman voiced the ad. I didn't hear it, because I switched it off as soon as I heard her say "There's something about Christm....", but the texts were pouring in about truckers pulling over to cry, and other such nonsense. It's and ad for TEA BAGS, ffs.
    mike65 wrote: »

Five?

Now we have Cadbury trying to do the same, with their selection boxes, but then the mood of the ad (if you're into all that soppy crap) is totally ruined by some gimp going "Snacking on sugary food and drink may damage teeth", at 90 miles an hour. There's another one too, but can't remember what it's for. Trying to be all nostalgic, while actually just being condescending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Svenolsen

Ads with "authoritative" voices in Ireland are almost always spoken with an upper crust English accent.(for Banks,Arts, any Judge speaking etc. etc.)

Mort than half the ads on RTE Radio 1, I reckon, are spoken in that strange put-on English accent.

These are ads for Irish companies I am talking about.

Gives them "gravitas" to Irish listeners I suppose.

Being down-trodden for 800 years has obviously left the Irish with a monumental Inferiority Complex to the English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That Montgrass wine ad gives me nosebleeds in rage..

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

Svenolsen wrote: »
    Ads with "authoritative" voices in Ireland are almost always spoken with an upper crust English accent.(for Banks,Arts, any Judge speaking etc. etc.)

Mort than half the ads on RTE Radio 1, I reckon, are spoken in that strange put-on English accent.

Being down-trodden for 800 years has obviously left the Irish with a monumental Inferiority Complex to the English.

Right right. Terrific race the English. Terrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

The Cadbury ad is a piss-take of the Barry's ad.

Also, about a year (maybe two?) ago, a poster named Dublin Writer wrote a fantastic defence of the Barry's ad.

But that f/ucking Garmin ad and the Waterford Crystal ad make me very glad the Celtic Tiger is now a fireside rug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

earwicker wrote: »
    Also, about a year (maybe two?) ago, a poster named Dublin Writer wrote a fantastic defence of the Barry's ad.
    Jebus, did I? It's amazing what Jagermeister-abuse can do to ones memory.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »

Now we have Cadbury trying to do the same, with their selection boxes, but then the mood of the ad (if you're into all that soppy crap) is totally ruined by some gimp going "Snacking on sugary food and drink may damage teeth", at 90 miles an hour. There's another one too, but can't remember what it's for. Trying to be all nostalgic, while actually just being condescending.

I think Denny is the other one...heard it this morning and it has the same airs and aspirations, attempting to pluck on the christmas heartstrings.
    As for the selection box ad taking the piss out of the Barry's one? Please, more like trying to jump on the bandwagon of mass appeal in the wake of what seems to be a pretty popular ad to the hoi poloi.

Back on topic, and I know it's been mentioned across the forum but that stupid feckin' food safety ad for cooking your turkey (gobble, gobble)...christ on a bike, who in their right minds came up with this and who let it make it to air? All this in the wake of the whole pork thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth...I don't know anyone who's ever gotten foo poisoning from under cooked poultry...or bbq for that matter. Why are resources and time being wasted on this tripe?
    ...and if they really must be, would it be possible to treat the general public with some modicum of respect and maturity instead of preaching to us like a pack of children in a remedial class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah in fairness, turkeys can very easily be undercooked, especially if they were frozen.
    Really s**t ad, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Svenolsen

I don't know anyone who's ever gotten foo poisoning from under cooked poultry...or bbq for that matter.

Famous Last Words:
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist......."
    (General John Sedgwick, May 9th 1864.)

USA statistics:
    More than 200 known diseases are transmitted through food. The causes of foodborne illness include viruses, bacteria, parasites, toxins, metals, and prions, and the symptoms of foodborne illness range from mild gastroenteritis to life-threatening neurologic, hepatic, and renal syndromes. In the United States, foodborne diseases have been estimated to cause 6 million to 81 million illnesses and up to 9,000 deaths each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,594 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Somewhere on Youtube there is a pisstake sketch from a nordie Unionist DJ's show where he's taking the rip out of the fact that even in NI, they use English accents for "posh" stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭need assistance

Doesn't seem worth starting a new thread. Although I hate the ad and to be honest it has nearly made me think twice about donating to any charity involved in life stock to africa does anyone know where I could hear streamed or even download the bothar "are we there yet" advertisement. It annoys my family more than me and would like to play it incessantly for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The pi$s-poor pi$s-take of Eddie Hobbes (the "most wiley man in Ireland") and that tw*t who will hate your carbonara and wants her chiraz in a clear Waterford crystal glass (seriously, f*ck off, missus) are the top of the sh!te ads pile for me at the moment.

Aaah no!! Those Aer Rianta ads where the fcuker with the most revolting draaaaaaawling Doooooob accent tries to sound laconic.

Get me a fcukin sick bag quick!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

The Lifestyle Sport ads "Tis the season to buy BALLS". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Like the safe food ad with the turkeys/actors

Hate every barrys tea ad. I don't drink barrys tea and these ads do not make me want to. I'm sure they work on some sub conscious level by keeping it in the minds of people but still, could you not use a nice jingle.

Famous Last Words:
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist......."
    (General John Sedgwick, May 9th 1864.)

USA statistics:
    More than 200 known diseases are transmitted through food. The causes of foodborne illness include viruses, bacteria, parasites, toxins, metals, and prions, and the symptoms of foodborne illness range from mild gastroenteritis to life-threatening neurologic, hepatic, and renal syndromes. In the United States, foodborne diseases have been estimated to cause 6 million to 81 million illnesses and up to 9,000 deaths each year.

Listen, I don't deny that it happens and that it probably happens a lot. I simply said I don't know anyone that it has happened to...perhaps it's through my lack of knowing anyone that's stupid enough to eat undercooked meat.
    Anyway that's beside the point, my point is that the advert is incredibly annoying, is a waste of money; in the regard that it's so annoying that people just either switch off or ignore it, and in the fact that it's about 40 seconds too long...if there's a need for safety adverts then they should be short, concise and to the point, not padded out with this gobble gobble crap or talk of actors...hell why does it even need two voices?
    While I'm here, how come the ad in question, on this, the 28th of December, is still being run at least once an hour across the radio network? I think it's safe to say that by now any turkey that was lurking in the vicinity of an oven has been at this stage either eaten or fed to the cat or been binned. Why is good money being spent on airtime for this ad now that the big day has passed?
    The FSA is simply another government body and waste such as this is indicative of the waste that's gone on for years across various public bodies, as people clamour to justify their jobs, with campaigns such as this one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

RTE fuelling my rage with their 'personalities' reminding us what a top job they're doing. The radio drama ad with the swooping umbrellas and galloping coconut shells was good, but Miriam O'Callaghan telling me how to respond when I'm told that curiosity kills the cat makes me want to gag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

I find it embarrassing.Can't believe some advertising firm made a fortune for such drivel.

Referring to the turkey ad, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

The Kildare Village one annoys the hole off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Indeed, the faux yank accent is annoying.

Sulmac wrote: »
    The Kildare Village one annoys the hole off me.

:eek:

bad spelling, you mean the whole of you:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

"Hasta la vista, piggy bank!"

Taking the girl off was a good idea. Replacing her with Charlie does not absolve the earlier mistake. In fact, it serves only to compound it. If one whiney child voice didn't work, why should another?

In summary, oh dear oh dear oh dear :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

I know this may be sacrilege but Gaybo is beginning to p*** me off about driving to Newbridge (from Dublin in 30mins but that's another controversy)
    to see some museum.

No I don't want to visit it but no I am not out of my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

I cant refer to Saggart as Saggart anymore....Dunnes Stores have turned it into Soggort!!!!

Ah, now that Christmas is over, there'll be no more singing for Garmin, or reminiscing about the time you bought a train set and drank tea, or how good it was to have a selection box. We should rejoice, the season of uber-crap ads has now ended.

Except, now all we get are sh*tty sale ads, and worse again, insurance "sale" ads. Give me a break, insurance companies do not have sales.

Top offenders are, once again, shill.ie (that's right, now with extra slurring of words), Axa, and Hibernian.

Also, what is it with all the ads where the voice over actors can't pronounce their words properly? That one on the Rehab Bingo ad insists on saying You-ro, all the people in the Super Milk ads can't talk at all, and there are more, but I'm too sick and tired to remember them now.

Another year, more of the same fecking ads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

Dave thinks donating to charity anonymously means not signing the cheques.

When Pete's local taxi firm lowered their prices he was gutted because it meant he wasn't saving as much walking home.

I mean, seriously. Is that the best they could come up with? And who ever heard of a taxi company lowering their fares.

I'd love to shoot whoever thought of this ad in the face with a blunderbuss filled with tramps diarrhea.

(Why can't you say '****e'?)

The Garmin ad lives on though. If the music used in it, which I always loved, is played, someone always sings the Garmin ad. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dubjeff

Any ad that has two or more D4 girls talking in that fake half laughing type of way about some nonsense.

EG: ( to be read with a fake laugh feel )
    I'm notch going outch tonight I'm staying in with My bottle of wine/moistureiser/canestan etc - Que all the girls giggling!

I'm annoyed just typing this - I'll have to have a lie down

I mean, seriously. Is that the best they could come up with? And who ever heard of a taxi company lowering their fares.

So you find a crutch, and break your own leg, in order to cash in on the crutch. But now you're out of work, you have the hassle of not being able to get around, you have medical bills, and your insurance doesn't cover any of it, because you did it deliberately. Making a claim now, would be fraud. Interesting, on an insurance ad.

Filling the pockets of your suit with socks and jocks, when getting it dry cleaned. Well, they'll just remove them from the pockets, as you can't dry clean them, and the suit wouldn't clean properly with them in the pockets. Then, presumably, they'll clean the socks and jock, and charge you for it. Again, not a good idea.

Most importantly, why are these two guys arguing over who's a bigger miser, when neither of them is actually either of the two miserable idiots being discussed? And how does associating your service with the biggest morons in the country, make people want to use your companies services? The mind boggles.
    dubjeff wrote: »
    EG: ( to be read with a fake laugh feel )
    I'm notch going outch tonight I'm staying in with My bottle of wine/moistureiser/canestan etc - Que all the girls giggling!

Oh Brenda, it's so splenda, ah ha ha ha..... kill me now.

Drive a Chevrolet, everything is included, doors, mirrors, etc, nothing is extra*

*Delivery and related charges not included

Now that's such a shit ad, it deserves to be highlighted and ridiculed, for the sheer stupidity of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

jor el wrote: »
    So you find a crutch, and break your own leg, in order to cash in on the crutch. But now you're out of work, you have the hassle of not being able to get around, you have medical bills, and your insurance doesn't cover any of it, because you did it deliberately. Making a claim now, would be fraud. Interesting, on an insurance ad.

Filling the pockets of your suit with socks and jocks, when getting it dry cleaned. Well, they'll just remove them from the pockets, as you can't dry clean them, and the suit wouldn't clean properly with them in the pockets. Then, presumably, they'll clean the socks and jock, and charge you for it. Again, not a good idea.

Most importantly, why are these two guys arguing over who's a bigger miser, when neither of them is actually either of the two miserable idiots being discussed? And how does associating your service with the biggest morons in the country, make people want to use your companies services? The mind boggles.

Splendid dissection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

The most annoying one at the moment is that one with the woman saying "I will hate your carbonara, I will like your dad, I will match-make your brothers"! What is the point of this ad? It took me about 4 or 5 hearings before I even realised what it was for... So it's not even a good ad in annoying way. (Not going to say it here and therefore justify the ad - the annoying ones just want us talking about them).

But it makes no sense... And "I will matchmake your brothers"? WTF is that about? You can't match-make someone! "I will matchmake with your brothers" I'd nearly allow... But anyway there's no such word as "Matchmake".. "Match-making" is OK just like "Horse-riding" or "Kite-Flying". But you don't say "I will kite-fly the park!" And does she mean she'll get the brothers together in some sort of incestual homosexual affair?

She's pretty much saying "I'll be an annoying b*tch as long as you let me use this product we're talking about". I don't know at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

The best way to deal with annoying ads is to switch over. Works best when there are two competing similar themed shows, e.g. Ian Dempsey v Colm & Jim or Matt Cooper v George Hook. The ads will normally be between articles anyway so unless there is something specific you want to listen to coming up, you might as well switch over. Then when the annoying ad comes on the other station switch back.

Enough people do this and they'll stop making annoying ads, knowing they're losing a good chunk of listeners every time they play one.

The new Today FM weather stab annoys the bejaysus out of me.

WTF is "real butter" ? I know there are ****loads of margarines and spreads and "god-knows whats in the tub but my knife can spread it so I don't care" crap, but none of them claim to be "fake butter", do they ?

Butter is butter. Period.

It's almost as bads as the TV ad where some patronising Yankee bimbo tells someone who specifically asked for sugar that they don't want sugar, they want something else instead.

Imagine if he'd asked for beef and she'd said "he actually wants pork".

Margarine and spreads are not butter. Not fake butter. Not.....butter.

Butter is butter. There's no such thing as "real" butter.

There are "real" diamonds, but only because there are "fake" diamonds.

There is no "fake butter". Therefore there is no need for the word "real". It's butter.

[/RANT]

You are one bitter lad , Liam, and thats for sure.

Lot of anger in that post:mad:

You are one bitter lad , Liam, and thats for sure.

Lot of anger in that post:mad:

Ah, but it's not "real" buitter!!! ;):D

Seriously, though, FB.....how would it sound in an ad if someone said "buy a real TV at Harvey Norman's" or "buy some real bread to go with your real butter" ?

Ah feck it, it's only an opinion, and maybe I should get out more.....I'm off to the club to find myself a "real" girlfriend!!! ;):D:D

Highland R adio ,Donegal has one for a kitchen/bedroom furniture manufacturer.

Husky bird's voice says at the end "Pukes, not just good in the kitchen, good in the bedroom too".:rolleyes:
    Can't wait for the depression to put them out of business after assaulting our ears hourly with such crap.:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement