Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

"I BOUGHT LOADS!!"

nobody cares and your voice is really annoying so get trolleyed :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Ah, but it's not "real" buitter!!!

No, it's real budder.

Have 11890 lost the plot altogether with their "Willey man" ads? He goes on for twice the length of the actual advertisement now with terms and conditions, I'm not exclusively contracted to 11890, I'm available for afternoon classes and the odd Bar Mitzfa, etc. What the hell is that even about?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

The latest Dunnes Stores ads. "The difference is we're Irish".

What has this got to do with anything. In these times people want value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

DerryRed wrote: »
    The latest Dunnes Stores ads. "The difference is we're Irish".

What has this got to do with anything. In these times people want value.

Man, that ad annoys me so much. It's complete bullsh*t, using a line like that hoping that people won't shop in LIDL etc. Dunnes were very Irish when they were ripping us all off (remember they were the cheap brand in the 80's, but through the 90's and 00's they were expensive) and LIDL and ALDI and the likes were giving us reasonable prices.

Now that we're in a bit of a recession they're very "Irish" and hoping to get us back with this patriotic bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

The ads with the Eddie Hobbs not-very good-soundalike are getting very annoying. I switch over when I hear it, no matter what station its on.

Also the number of ad breaks on Radio 1 seems to be increasing but repeating the same commercials over and over again is a real turn-off, literally, for regular listeners. Having to stop interesting interviews mid-flow to take ad breaks is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the axa ad. "hello, axa customer service here" "you're not the first to be so pleasantly surprised" etc etc

that ad was written, produced and approved in the ten mins before the christmas party by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

tbh wrote: »
    the axa ad. "hello, axa customer service here" "you're not the first to be so pleasantly surprised" etc etc

that ad was written, produced and approved in the ten mins before the christmas party by the sounds of it.
    And with some alcohol taken by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Brennan's Bread... in that fecking accent.

'Faycebyouk?' - sez he.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I know its been mentioned before....but who in the name of god thought that SuperMilk ad would work? That and the ADHD guy on the sky ad made me through my remote at the stereo this morning :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Big Tone wrote: »
    The ads with the Eddie Hobbs not-very good-soundalike are getting very annoying. I switch over when I hear it, no matter what station its on.

Also the number of ad breaks on Radio 1 seems to be increasing but repeating the same commercials over and over again is a real turn-off, literally, for regular listeners. Having to stop interesting interviews mid-flow to take ad breaks is ridiculous.
    Oh you must be talkin bout the "I'm the most WILEY man in Ireland" ads.
    Fockin hilarious don't you think????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hope hope hope

show_imagebank_thumb?id=3727&issue=154&treeid=1317

Hope hope hope you feck off with your pretentious whittering! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Who is that Mike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the mystery train driver himself - John Kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

John Kelly, is he worth €204,675 to present a niche music show on Lyric FM, and a smug pretentious arts show on RTE1 TV?

I like the new TG4 ad airing on the radion at the moment. A farmer telling his dog to shut the feck up if he knows what is good for him, after the dog reports back on another farmer having a terrible accident. It's quite amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

bilko1234 wrote: »
    Oh you must be talkin bout the "I'm the most WILEY man in Ireland" ads.
    Fockin hilarious don't you think????

Well after a few listens it gets totally tedious!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

John Kelly needs to stfu with his hope thing. I hope that RTE stop making sh1t programmes but that's not going to happen. Hope means nothing, John!

IronMan wrote: »
    I like the new TG4 ad airing on the radion at the moment. A farmer telling his dog to shut the feck up if he knows what is good for him, after the dog reports back on another farmer having a terrible accident. It's quite amusing.

"Dún suas Madra, you didn't fecking see anything". Heard that one last night, pretty good.

And yes, Nightwish, those Sssssssssuper Milk for Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssuper families people need to be pushed off the top of that mountain, or run over by traffic on the school run. High-pitched whiney biotches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Worst by far at the moment is the one for the Nora Dunne art Gallery...Ben Dunne's voice and ad doesd nothing to make me want to visit the gallery! it is woeful. I think that I have only heard it on Newstalk FM. Did anyone else hear it? What do you think?

I think we should do a poll for each month of the worst ads on the radio in the month and have people vote on the top 10 suggested ones! It would be interesting to see the results!

robo wrote: »
    Worst by far at the moment is the one for the Nora Dunne art Gallery...Ben Dunne's voice and ad doesd nothing to make me want to visit the gallery! it is woeful. I think that I have only heard it on Newstalk FM. Did anyone else hear it? What do you think?

It's so bad I actually think it's funny. The ad before Christmas where Ben says "and HHHHaaaapppppyyyy Chrissssstmaaaaassss everybodyyyyyyyyy" was better though. I used to actually laugh every time I heard it.

I think he's taking the mick out of himself with the ads. I'd say he listens back and laughs his ass off at them.

As with regards the TG4 ad, "Dún Suas Madra", it is very good. They make great TV ads too. Check this one out http://www.irish.ie/using/tg4/movies1.asp?movieId=8&lang=en - hilarious (then again, i might be the only one who thinks it's funny!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Ah yeh it is so cringe worthy...makes me laugh and cringe!
    Ben Dunne knows that he really doesn't have a voice ofr radio ads...but he has a recognisable voice and I guess if it was one of the usual voice overs, I may not have noticed it, but with his voice, you can't but notice it. But it won't urge me to visit the galary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I miss Ben Dunne doing the "Are ya listen' Jackie Skelly?" ads.

robo wrote: »
    Ah yeh it is so cringe worthy...makes me laugh and cringe!
    Ben Dunne knows that he really doesn't have a voice ofr radio ads...but he has a recognisable voice and I guess if it was one of the usual voice overs, I may not have noticed it, but with his voice, you can't but notice it. But it won't urge me to visit the galary!

Fair dues to him, he also saved money on not hiring somebody to voice the ad for him.

I don't even know where the gallery is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Poochie05

IronMan wrote: »

That dog is a better actor than some of the humans in other ads (you know who you are!*):p

*inkmaestro.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Grrr... that ad for Gerry Ryan on 2FM that uses a chorus of dogs barking and whining as their jingle..

I heard an ad for Gollum and Dim Dim at the weekend, and it sounded like it was just some listener singing the jingle, maybe over the phone. Went something like "Oh my god I can't believe it, it's the Colm and Jim Jim breakfast show", :confused: WTF is that about? Strange and stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

jor el wrote: »
    I heard an ad for Gollum and Dim Dim at the weekend, and it sounded like it was just some listener singing the jingle, maybe over the phone. Went something like "Oh my god I can't believe it, it's the Colm and Jim Jim breakfast show", :confused: WTF is that about? Strange and stupid.
    I think (and this is a big think) that it might be Bono from the time he rang into their show about something completely random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

jor el wrote: »
    Drive a Chevrolet, everything is included, doors, mirrors, etc, nothing is extra*

*Delivery and related charges not included

Now that's such a shit ad, it deserves to be highlighted and ridiculed, for the sheer stupidity of it.

Heard this twice today and p***d myself laughing at the blatant contradiction!!! What idiot came up with that ? It's so "bad" that it's like something like The Panel would say ABOUT the ad!

SKY PLUS IS SHOUTING AT ME :(

I think (and this is a big think) that it might be Bono from the time he rang into their show about something completely random.

Bono, really? Well that just re-enforces what a tool he is. Either way, amazingly bad ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Had to revive this thread to mention the one about the new ad for that mobile operator (I won't even mention their name because then their marketing people win).

They have a guy who I think is supposed to be Doctor Evil, crossed with Steve Carrell for some weird reason. Really awful stuff....

• Advertisement

Let the sun shine on your face? No, just f**k off. And as if it wasn't bad enough having it on every single ad break, the song is being played by DJs, on pretty much every show, every day on every station. I'd rather listen to ads for Barrys Tea, using stupid phrases like "shouty yolk" and "chick flick".

That ad for 'House' enrages me...

.. cheap, tacky and lazy! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

basquille wrote: »
    That ad for 'House' enrages me...

.. cheap, tacky and lazy! :mad:

That the one on Today FM where yer one asks 'House' questions and they use sound clips from the show as answers? Its terrible

On a more positive note there was an ad on the radio for some sort of product for your pet. It outlined the difference between cats and dogs, was quality, "Oh look a flying stick! I better go catch it!" "Again Again!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

That ad for panadol with that annoying woman pretending to be a DJ who has to 'wake up the whole town'. Bad +50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, it was mentioned before for the classic line "Welcome to the morning breakfast show" (as opposed to the early afternoon breakfast show for students)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

The best ad on radio ever has to be the Barry’s Tea ‘Turn the moment gold’ Christmas add.
    The one with the father buying the train set.
    Kid: ‘You’ll never guess what Santa brought…’
    Father: ‘Well doesn’t that beat Bannagher, isn’t Santa the smart fellow…’
    No fake accents, no pretentious statements, just a great little story.
    Pity it’s only on at Christmas time.

Personally I think its the work of satan

I do like kia Car Add where there are extras

the man who is told to jump away but the bunjee is extra makes me smile

her accent is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

That the one on Today FM where yer one asks 'House' questions and they use sound clips from the show as answers? Its terrible

On a more positive note there was an ad on the radio for some sort of product for your pet. It outlined the difference between cats and dogs, was quality, "Oh look a flying stick! I better go catch it!" "Again Again!"

I honestly thought that ad was a bit sexist. The woman being the clever cat and the man being the stupid dog. If it had been the other way around then a lot of complaints would of flooded in! It's not as if we don't have enough ads where men are made out to be idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Koloman wrote: »
    I honestly thought that ad was a bit sexist. The woman being the clever cat and the man being the stupid dog. If it had been the other way around then a lot of complaints would of flooded in! It's not as if we don't have enough ads where men are made out to be idiots.

Indeed. It's bad enough that they have to eat from bowls, get neutered, and are scolded when they lick their privates in company, but now they have to suffer the indignity of sexism on a tuppence ha'penny radio ad.

A dogs life indeed. You should gather all the dogs in your neighbourhood and start a petition. Video tape it for us, willya? :D

The best ad on radio ever has to be the Barry’s Tea ‘Turn the moment gold’ Christmas add.
    The one with the father buying the train set.
    Kid: ‘You’ll never guess what Santa brought…’
    Father: ‘Well doesn’t that beat Bannagher, isn’t Santa the smart fellow…’
    Pity it’s only on at Christmas time.
    The work of Satan indeed!
    I always wished that when the oul guy says at the end "Put the kettle on and we'll have a cuppa tea", that his wife would turn around and say,"PUT YOUR OWN FU**IN' KETTLE ON! WHAT DID YOUR LAST SLAVE DIE OF????"Now THAT would turn the moment gold!:D

Ha! That whole ad is one giant pretentious statement.

Fear not though, if Barry's tea ads are your thing, they have a wonderful non-Christmas one, with a student who has a very severe case of ADHD, but it's OK in the end 'cause he meets some bird who plays camogie. There's another with a woman who forgot to take her PMS pills, but she's going on a date, so all's well that ends well, as long as it isn't some shouty yolk of course. Should keep you going till next December.

I also find it unlikely that that student got Barry's Gold Blend in the college canteen. More likely he got a generic-canteen-brand-extra-week-one-cup-tea-bag served in a thimble sized polystyrene cup. Golden moments indeed.

I'm off for a cup of tea now, need to calm myself down...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Kwl

Who could forget the Ray D'arcy ad a few years back with "Don't be a f**king eejit, don't drink n drive" Instant Classic!

Honestly, how could that ad be played at 7 in the morning is beyond me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Theres an ad for some revision/cram books for the leaving cert thats taking off the Financial Regulator 'whats this ad for?' one.

The ad was crap when the Financial Regulator did it - its unbearable rehashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Mr E wrote: »
    Had to revive this thread to mention the one about the new ad for that mobile operator (I won't even mention their name because then their marketing people win).

They have a guy who I think is supposed to be Doctor Evil, crossed with Steve Carrell for some weird reason. Really awful stuff....

This is the one ad that makes me want to scream with annoyance. The particular mobile operator in question will NEVER receive my custom for producing such an awful ad. That whole crappy 'evil' laugh.......... it's like nails on a blackboard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Ozziej wrote: »
    All time worst ad....... National radio cabs. "Some of the drivers are really cute."

Not fit to print what it should really say about those drivers after my experience with them when my job used them for taxi account (doesn't any more).

It's back and it's just as f**king cringeworthy.

Who writes this stuff?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Black and Yellow, Black and Yellow, Hales Freight!

Also the ad with Giovanni Trapattoni! He sounds like the Pope in it.

Autoglass with Anto

How bout those TV licence inspector ads....?
    "I've decided to pay you with this cake..."
    "I'm sorry, we can't accept that"
    "There's rum in it"
    "I'm sorry"
    "A lotta rum....!!!!"

Ha.. someone at TV3 must be listening to us.

They changed the 'House' ad to having a bloke chatting to him now... equally bad!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

bilko1234 wrote: »
    How bout those TV licence inspector ads....?
    "I've decided to pay you with this cake..."
    "I'm sorry, we can't accept that"
    "There's rum in it"
    "I'm sorry"
    "A lotta rum....!!!!"

I quite like that ad. There's a genuine hint of madness in that womans voice! :D
    basquille wrote: »
    Ha.. someone at TV3 must be listening to us.

They changed the 'House' ad to having a bloke chatting to him now... equally bad!

:D

Indeed, perhaps people are listening - The Eurospar ads have dropped the rubbish Bertie impersonator as well.

Now let us mobilise our forces against the Glade poo / Cadburys deformo-kids TV ad axis of evil!

• Advertisement

2fivers wrote: »
    I quite like that ad. There's a genuine hint of madness in that womans voice! :D

Yeah, there might be madness in it alright, but is it in any way realistic?
    Would this be a typical conversation between typical TV guy and typical resident of a house? I think not. (even if she is supposed to be pissed up).
    The same can be said for the conversation between the same TV guy and the Guy who was too busy "stooodenting" to own a TV, and then under Nazi like interogation from our TV license hero, admits that he's going to lie on his sofa and watch "Dr. Phil" all day.
    Damn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement