Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

bilko1234 wrote: »
    2fivers wrote: »
    I quite like that ad. There's a genuine hint of madness in that womans voice! :D

Yeah, there might be madness in it alright, but is it in any way realistic?
    Would this be a typical conversation between typical TV guy and typical resident of a house? I think not.

Errmm. Ok. You win. I'll stop liking it and finding it funny because it's not a realistic enough representation of a ficticious conversation. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

basquille wrote: »
    Ha.. someone at TV3 must be listening to us.

They changed the 'House' ad to having a bloke chatting to him now... equally bad!

:D

I don't know why they thought that changing from a woman, to a man, using the exact same dialog, would make the ad any better. With all the people loosing jobs right now, you'd think they could find someone who isn't a complete moron to do the ads for them.
    I quite like that ad. There's a genuine hint of madness in that womans voice! :D\

Yeah, kind of like Mrs Doyle "There's cocaine in it!", but I don't think they could do that on a Radio ad.

The Halifax Flippin ad is back too. Was it too much to ask that they would have gone bankrupt by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Errmm. Ok. You win. I'll stop liking it and finding it funny because it's not a realistic enough representation of a ficticious conversation. :)
    I WIN WO-HOO!!!!!!
    :D
    We've heard all of the excuses, and NONE of them work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I woke up to some ad where 2 guys are shouting at each other. I couldnt tell you what its for (that'll p!ss off the marketing people :)) but god almighty it was enough to put me in a mood for the morning!

Yet another Homestore+More ad is on with the bloke talking a few million words a second. I can't understand the bloody thing! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

i love the ad where the people from the country are talking about going to dublin. whos this now? hugh lane? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

ARE YOU LISTENING NATIONAL ART GALLERY?

WTF is it with Ben (Nora Dunne's) art gallery :confused: SERIOUSLY? Dreadful ad and the whole idea of having it beside one of his gym's is hilarious :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Sizzler wrote: »

WTF is it with Ben (Nora Dunne's) art gallery :confused: SERIOUSLY? Dreadful ad and the whole idea of having it beside one of his gym's is hilarious :o

two ads for the price of one, innit? When I lived in Australia there was a ad that would be played at the start of every ad break - "Meatworld! <ad spiel> right next door to fruitworld".

Then at the end of the ad break, "Fruitworld! <ad speil> Right next door to meatworld."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

Have you heard the spoof ad for Tom Dunne's show .... goes something like "pay a visit to Tom Dunne's radio show and you will be pleasantly surprised ... it will lift your spirits " etc.

Very cheeky considering all the money BD is paying for this truly ridiculous ad (which doesn't even mention where the place is!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Not half as hilarious as his outrage over the prospect of an old peoples home being built next to another one of his gym. His main concern being, his customers having to endure the sight of hearses coming and going next door - I would have thought this would act as an added incentive. The man is priceless and deserves a place of his own in Nora's gallery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

The Halifax 7% ad. The good parts nice and slow and then the numerous terms and conditions at such a speed you cannot decipher what is being said especially with the annoying beat in the background. They obviously don't want anyone to listen too closely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

This may be a bit juvenile, but I'm delighted Daft Dave is back - great ads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Now a provincial ad..... straight after the death notices on LMFM......

Caffrey's Headstones, Marsh road, Drogheda.

I have never heard anyone so cheery selling headstones. Normally its a sombre tone, with appropriate soft soothing classical music, but it appears to be voiced by its owner....

Think of it, in a Drogheda accent...

"Hello! I'm selling headstones, and I cater for all your cemetery needs at competitive prices...." and he finishes of with... "there ye are, now!"

Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Good god, that woman and her cat.

"Remember the celtic tiger?"
    "(miaow)"
    "Awww"
    "(MIAAAAOW)"

I don't know what it's for. I don't care. Shoot them both. Now.

Oh yeah there's one with Marty Whelan doing the T&C's end bit at 200mph...highly irritating.
    Loads of others to mention since I last posted...can't think of any of them just now.

Wertz wrote: »
    Good god, that woman and her cat.

Lucy Kennedy, enough said. Outranking even Dierdre O'Kane in the Dierdre O'Kane stakes.
    deadhead13 wrote:

I can't believe some of the crap ads that are nominated for awards on that. The Cadbury Christmas ad, the Garmin Christmas ad :eek: All those crappy Guinness ads with that idiot bollocking on about some nonsense.

It's also a sad state of affairs, when getting Sky Digital attracts more terms and conditions than getting a mortgage, with the exception of Halifax, who have so many T&Cs that they have to employ Alvin of the Chipmunks to fit all the words in.

jor el wrote: »
    Lucy Kennedy, enough said. Outranking even Dierdre O'Kane in the Dierdre O'Kane stakes.

That explains it. Knew there was something naggingly familiar about the voice.
    Okay, I'll spare the cat and keep the other round for her. Just to be sure...

Okay, I'll spare the cat

The cat? Who mentioned cat? Oh wait, when you said
    "(miaow)"
    "Awww"
    "(MIAAAAOW)"
    you weren't quoting Lucy then? Now I see, apologies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

deadhead13 wrote:
    An animated wallpaper? Geocities called from the mid 1990's.. they want their wallpaper back! :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lucy Kennedy's pussy cat is really annoying me too.

"We can't afford sound effects, so lets get someone to make cat noises instead. Nobody will be able to tell the difference."

• Advertisement

Jesus that short list is brutal...didn't recognise many of the ads (or a lot of the clients/products lol) on there, so played some clips. Utter tripe for the most part (although there are some stand outs, to be fair, always liked the Paddy Power ones)...talk about a self-congratulatory reach around for the advertising industry. Less mutual back slapping, more creativity and new casting please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

That National Radio Cabs ad doing my head in at the minute(especially with the voice of the supposedly under pressure manager lol), coupled with the fact that it is seemingly on Newstalk 1000 times a day!

Brgds
    Johnny

Gateaux cake ad with the complete tosser trying to sing at the end of it....it defies description...I'm quite partial to their pineapple swiss roll, but between this ad and the accompanying TV ad (similarly voiced by random passing morons) I'll be avoiding their products for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Agreed, they give me a pain in the swiss as well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    That National Radio Cabs ad doing my head in at the minute(especially with the voice of the supposedly under pressure manager lol), coupled with the fact that it is seemingly on Newstalk 1000 times a day!

Brgds
    Johnny

Even if you manage to get over your desire to puke at the line "some of them are kind of cute", the premise that a bunch of taxis have completed an Initial Public Offering i.e. "have you got shares in that company?" , ensures a double-punch that will cause long term damage to your mental well-being. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

I love the Golden Pages ads. That hotel thing that sounds like mastermind or some seeyat does my fuxin head in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Ya that ad on Newstalk for that cab company really gets on my nerves!

'Do you have shares in national radio cabs or something?'

'No such luck but I have to admit, some of their cab drivers are kinda cute'

a - there is no such thing as an attractive cab driver

b - i want to kill that women in the ad!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

Ya that ad on Newstalk for that cab company really gets on my nerves!

'Do you have shares in national radio cabs or something?'

'No such luck but I have to admit, some of their cab drivers are kinda cute'

a - there is no such thing as an attractive cab driver

b - i want to kill that women in the ad!!!

I generally always have Newstalk on in the car while going to and from work. This advert absolutely drives me mad and I have no choice to change the station whenever it comes on.

Who wrote this ad? It does succeed in getting the name of the company stuck in my mind but not in a good way. I would go out of my way to avoid using this company after hearing the ad.

Did someone actually believe that the driver's are kinda cute statement was a good idea? There's obviously some room for job creation in advertising if there's adverts like this on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Those "Eddie Hobbs" ads for directory enquiries are grating now!

Theres another ad, dont know what its for because I switched it off it was so bad, featuring two guys, one of them says "I need a shaft" the other says "hold on I think I have one here in my pocket" the other retorts "but I'm a married man"...more crap Irish radio commercials to cringe and wince at!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

The new Daft Dave ones for Right Price Tiles

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

cooperla wrote: »
    I generally always have Newstalk on in the car while going to and from work. This advert absolutely drives me mad and I have no choice to change the station whenever it comes on.

Who wrote this ad? It does succeed in getting the name of the company stuck in my mind but not in a good way. I would go out of my way to avoid using this company after hearing the ad.

Did someone actually believe that the driver's are kinda cute statement was a good idea? There's obviously some room for job creation in advertising if there's adverts like this on the radio.

+1. This ad is an affront to radio listeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

On Newstalk, there's an ad fir Autoglass and they recently rerecorded it with a slightly less exciting Dublin accent.

I always laughed when referring to the windscreen cracking - he's delighted to claim "It cracked from soide tho soide":D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I find the League of Ireland ads a bit mad. It makes it seem like LoI games are populated with Irish "celebrities" and I'm not really sure what to make of their "real football, real fans" tag line.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Bawlocks, that Nora Dunne Gallery fella has such a boring voice. "A visit to the gallery will lify your spirits. It certialnly lifts mineee". Does my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

I find the League of Ireland ads a bit mad. It makes it seem like LoI games are populated with Irish "celebrities" and I'm not really sure what to make of their "real football, real fans" tag line.

Why do you find the ads a bit mad? While LOI games are not heavily populated with Irish celebrities, the odd one or two does no harm.

The "real football, real fans" tag line is highly appropriate for the league. Those LOI fans are the real deal in football in Ireland and not some barstool, Premier league watching fans! Good luck to them and the LOI, they need our support.

• Advertisement

Tricia Takanawa on the Munday Mullions ad is really getting to me now. Every Monday it's the same bloody thing. Another reason to not like Mondays.

I've also never wanted a company to go into liquidation as much as I want Right Price Tiles to. As if the shouting wasn't enough, Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaale Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime is just a step too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭DJMG92

The add for 8202020 cabs is annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

The Hibernian Aviva car insurance ad inciting good road manners. Should read:

Yeah, there's nothing like having your own low profile extra wide treads screeching, tunes blaring, sub pounding, windows down, even if it is only 3 degrees outside, modified exhaust blowing everyones eardrums to hell, blacked out windows all round so you can't be personally identified by the law. You might even get an odd welcome slapper's glance...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

deadhead13 wrote: »

UNreal hey!

I want to erase from existence the guy who speaks in the Diagio Guinness ads. What is this insistence on the south Dublin accent in our media? Revolute ye media cretins!

WTF! Radio stations and ad agencies giving awards to radio ads? That's like restricting general elections to politicians/bankers/developers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

Koloman wrote: »
    Why do you find the ads a bit mad? While LOI games are not heavily populated with Irish celebrities, the odd one or two does no harm.

The "real football, real fans" tag line is highly appropriate for the league. Those LOI fans are the real deal in football in Ireland and not some barstool, Premier league watching fans! Good luck to them and the LOI, they need our support.

Personally speaking, the fact that John Creedon and Tom Dunne claim that they attend LOI matches isn't go to bring me to Turner's Cross/Tolka Park any time soon.

IMO, there is a reverse snobbery element among LOI supporters which doesn't do the league any favours.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Koloman wrote: »

I don't care about sports, however, I do care when an ad impinges on my conciousness everytime I listen to the radio. I cannot tune it out for some reason, possibly because the voiceover in it change each time.

Also, I thought that in Ireland football often refers to Gaelic, and that they would view their sport as "real football".

But overall I find the ads a bit condescending in tone and intensely irritating as they break my concentration on whatever I'm doing everytime they come on the radio.

That bloody Axa ad with the oh-so patronising call-centre lady who sounds like she speaks through a permanently worn sh*t eating grin.
    "That's great news isn't it sir?" :D

It doesn't touch that damn aviva ad though...so so sick of that bloody sunshine song....bad enough on the ads but when certain daytime DJs take a shine to it and start playing the full version daily then I really do despair. There seems to be no getting away from aviva in general...stadium, crappy TV ads, billboards and that horrible yellow/blue branding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

hacx wrote: »
    Bawlocks, that Nora Dunne Gallery fella has such a boring voice. "A visit to the gallery will lify your spirits. It certialnly lifts mineee". Does my head in.

That's Ben Dunne innit? Boring voice, 'interesting' past life, terrible ad.

That bloody Axa ad with the oh-so patronising call-centre lady who sounds like she speaks through a permanently worn sh*t eating grin.
    "That's great news isn't it sir?" :D

I thought I was the only one who thought that. She sounds like she might be not quite all there in the head too. "I'll just continue nattering away here inanely while the customer has fainted in a vain effort to sound interesting, la la la la la.....".

Aye she would probably work very well on an ad for prozac...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The AXA ad reminds me of the tv ad that FBD are running with the patronising call centre woman. Maybe they're having a dig!

I heard insure.ie again during last week. It really sounds like "incher.ie"

Speak properly! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Please stop bypassingthe language filter by deliberately misspelling words. This is a public forum and is readable by members of all ages. The forum is written media so there's no excuse for bad language, it doesnt just slip out, it has to be typed. Misspelling just shows that you are deliberately trying to swear (or that you actually cant spell). FlutterinBantam banned for 7 days for excessive language. no more warnings to anyone, so keep it clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Worst has to be 8202020 taxi company. Everytime i hear it i switch the radio to another channel. It wrecks my head.

But sure if i remember the damn number its worked all too well. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

LoLth wrote: »
    Please stop bypassingthe language filter by deliberately misspelling words. This is a public forum and is readable by members of all ages. The forum is written media so there's no excuse for bad language, it doesnt just slip out, it has to be typed. Misspelling just shows that you are deliberately trying to swear (or that you actually cant spell). FlutterinBantam banned for 7 days for excessive language. no more warnings to anyone, so keep it clean.
    :eek:

Looks like you bypassed English language lessons. LOL.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement