Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Also, I thought that in Ireland football often refers to Gaelic, and that they would view their sport as "real football".

IFA 1880, GAA 1884. Gaelic is a newer codification of the same original concept of "football". I think those who got their first can claim the concept of "real".

That 8-20-20-20 ad drives me mad; the VO artist has a weird lisp or affectation on the way they're singing "20" that makes me change channels at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That bloody inshur-word-slur ad jungle is wrecking my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

that Northern "ING-land" ad does my head in. i actually have to change the station when it comes on and this comes from a lad that has high tolerance to AXA, Aviva, Daft Dave, Eddie Hobbs and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

Mad Dave from Right-Price Tiles,
    "The monkey's gone mad with the chainsaw and is slashing prices across the store."
    Class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Mad Dave from Right-Price Tiles,
    "The monkey's gone mad with the chainsaw and is slashing prices across the store."
    Class.

You're joking right?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

No. He slashed those prices. Sadly a little old woman was buying tiles and the time as well.
    They were cleaning up in aisle 2 for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

LoLth wrote: »
    Please stop bypassingthe language filter by deliberately misspelling words. This is a public forum and is readable by members of all ages. The forum is written media so there's no excuse for bad language, it doesnt just slip out, it has to be typed. Misspelling just shows that you are deliberately trying to swear (or that you actually cant spell). FlutterinBantam banned for 7 days for excessive language. no more warnings to anyone, so keep it clean.

Actually agree with this. My pet hate among the radio ads just now is the awful Halifax ad in which every other word is a hidden swear word. Seems very juvenile to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

emmemm wrote: »
    Actually agree with this. My pet hate among the radio ads just now is the awful Halifax ad in which every other word is a hidden swear word. Seems very juvenile to me.

I'm also in favour of not typing disguised swear words on an open forum, but I think you may have missed the point of the Halifax ads .

Listening on local radio to a discussion on advertisements in general, this was held up as a good example of the Irish taking the pee out of themselves - The "in group" displaying their displeasure by using words (which were clearly not swear words, but were certainly in as much common usage as "Damn" or "bloody" in my childhood) and this group becoming offended when someone who wasn't in the initial circle uses a different, but equally inoffensive term to describe the same circumstances.

It's loosely based on the Vaudeville comedy routine where a group of Nuns express their unhappiness by saying "Darn!" when the horse they've backed loses a race, but one particularly upset Nun shocks and offends the group by saying "Darn it to heck!", and as a result is banished from the convent for foul language. (You had to be there.)

It's not a particularly good ad, but I personally think it's just making fun of our attitudes and Hiberno-English vocal tics, it isn't in any way trying to be subversive....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

seeing as no-one are being positive about any ads(i dont blame ye) i think the No nonsense.ie ads are very good, i always laugh at the one where the male driver is being laughed at for being a male, 2 litre, 2 penalty points driver. too fecking true it is!

• Advertisement

I'm also in favour of not typing disguised swear words on an open forum, but I think you may have missed the point of the Halifax ads .

Listening on local radio to a discussion on advertisements in general, this was held up as a good example of the Irish taking the pee out of themselves - The "in group" displaying their displeasure by using words (which were clearly not swear words, but were certainly in as much common usage as "Damn" or "bloody" in my childhood) and this group becoming offended when someone who wasn't in the initial circle uses a different, but equally inoffensive term to describe the same circumstances.

It's loosely based on the Vaudeville comedy routine where a group of Nuns express their unhappiness by saying "Darn!" when the horse they've backed loses a race, but one particularly upset Nun shocks and offends the group by saying "Darn it to heck!", and as a result is banished from the convent for foul language. (You had to be there.)

It's not a particularly good ad, but I personally think it's just making fun of our attitudes and Hiberno-English vocal tics, it isn't in any way trying to be subversive....
    Thanks for the explanation. Maybe it's an ad being too clever for its own good. It offended me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Ray D'arcy and his Japanese Gardens ads are pretty annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭netron

worst radio ad at the moment is that annoying Right Price Tiles advert.

no i dont care about your monkey - just get it off the radio. annoying as hell.

and the other annoying one is the Nora Dunne gallery one with Ben Dunne narrating in this mid-atlantic drawl from nowhere.

ashamed of your Irish accent Ben?

pathetic.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    that Northern "ING-land" ad does my head in. i actually have to change the station when it comes on and this comes from a lad that has high tolerance to AXA, Aviva, Daft Dave, Eddie Hobbs and co.

yeah - thats definitely THE most annoying ad at the moment.

and in any case -who the hell wants to go to the hellhole of chav-scum-council-estate northern england?

well, i would - but only in a U.S. army helicopter , guns blazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

netron wrote: »
    yeah - thats definitely THE most annoying ad at the moment.

and in any case -who the hell wants to go to the hellhole of chav-scum-council-estate northern england?

well, i would - but only in a U.S. army helicopter , guns blazing.

Netron - Not everywhere in Northern England is like what you described, keep believing the Sun/Star stereotypes.....

Rgds
    Johnny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Don't know if it came in under the radar but didn't see anyone mention it here....that ad Euro2 were doing for their plastic paddy week really broke new ground on the crappiness front. I don't know which is worse...the crap they peddle or the ad.
    "Alright but Oi'm wearing moi thermals" God someone shoot that woman.

+1 on the Ing ads btw
    AnnoyING.

Not to worry, netron, the sale ended yesterday, so we won't be hearing them again for a while. I mean, it's not like the sale will somehow be extended to next Sunday now, is it? Nah, that couldn't possibly happen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

[panto] Oh yes it could![/panto]

any ad that finishes with..... you'll be glad you called..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    seeing as no-one are being positive about any ads(i dont blame ye) i think the No nonsense.ie ads are very good, i always laugh at the one where the male driver is being laughed at for being a male, 2 litre, 2 penalty points driver. too fecking true it is!

I like that ad a lot - very funny. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jerrehpips

took the words out of my mouth, which were
    'two words, daft dave'
    We thought we had enough of him, but no, hes back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I know they're not ads, they're promos but the very repetitive RTE "Fuel your imagination" especially the John Kelly v/o is getting very hard to listen to now. I switch off when I hear it, or any of those promos, it literally is a turn-off!

Any will they ever stop airing the "New Look Radio 1" because its very old now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Big Tone wrote: »
    I know they're not ads, they're promos but the very repetitive RTE "Fuel your imagination" especially the John Kelly v/o is getting very hard to listen to now. I switch off when I hear it, or any of those promos, it literally is a turn-off!
    Well, they've got to put something in to plug their unsold ad-slots.

Listen carefully and you can almost hear the resentment in Kelly's voice!

Well, they've got to put something in to plug their unsold ad-slots.

Listen carefully and you can almost hear the resentment in Kelly's voice!

Very true. In spite of the substantial ad price reductions on their rate card they still cant pull in the advertising, filling up the slots with repetitive aged promos will make people reach for the pre-set for Newstalk etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I hate the self-storage ads on Newstalk. Rory lad, it's a recession, I'm not going to book a hotel for myself, never mind my goods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone catch the "Come to Fermanagh" adverts? Talk about misjudged esp given the recent events.

I see An Post have nicked Stepen Ireland's dead grannies excuse for not buying a TV license. Cannot see the humour in that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭mazza

tbh wrote: »
    I hate the self-storage ads on Newstalk. Rory lad, it's a recession, I'm not going to book a hotel for myself, never mind my goods!

I don't find this ad too annoying but its certainly strange on a couple of fronts:

1) "Storage space is a problem for everyone these days"

Really? Maybe when the ad was made, but I dare say there's more than enough retail / storage space to go round now.

2) And then during the list of businesses needing storage "...even radio stations".

WTF is that meant to mean? There seems to be something ironic about it, given the way its phrased?! Am I missing something?

Whenever I hear it, I always ending up wondering was some kind of barter deal was done between the storage company and Newstalk (storage space in exchange for on-air adverstising) and its a reminder to Newstalk not to bill them! :D

My absolute most hated radio ad, not sure if its been mentioned yet: Fairco Windows (fine company I'm sure, terrible annoying ad) to the effect of:

"Yeah my sister recommended Fairco, cos her cousin recommended Fairco, who got a recommendation from his father to use Fairco, who was recommended Fairco by his aunt..." and on and on and on with no payoff or twist. :(

Its the woman's accent - pitched working class enough to watch the pennies, not be ripped off, know real value, but posh enough to be trying to improve her lot, not be too rough for anyone - that gets me as much as the text.

Its actually at the point where I have to switch the radio off now when the ad comes on - anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

mazza wrote: »

Whenever I hear it, I always ending up wondering was some kind of barter deal was done between the storage company and Newstalk (storage space in exchange for on-air adverstising) and its a reminder to Newstalk not to bill them! :D

I think exactly the same thing! Also, pedantic, but a guy with that kind of voice doesn't suit being called Rory. He should be Tom or Frank or something. Not Rory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The ad for some company that will help collect money you're owed from foreign companies.

The ad starts with an irish idiot guy ringing a japanese man. He asks if he recieved his invoice and the japanese guy keeps talking over him (in japanese) and the irish guy can't understand, but the japanese guy just keeps on talking.
    It's like they're saying japanese people are ignorant b@stards.

Another change station ad for me

• Advertisement

Grab yourself a Baaaahgain. No. Just no.

That Moher man is also annoying the hole off me. I just voted against the Cliffs of Moher because of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

The one for IMC cinema, 'The What?'

Just stop it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Come to think of it, Newstalk has terrible advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

what's the story with that ad for the vitners association

"We're goin out tonight, we're gonna haaave the craaaaack"

Really does my head in. It's unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're barely ads, but the Pat The Baker ident/inserts during the breakfast show on i105107 are horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

daft dave adds , headwrecking

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭mazza

Quint wrote: »
    The ad for some company that will help collect money you're owed from foreign companies.

The ad starts with an irish idiot guy ringing a japanese man. He asks if he recieved his invoice and the japanese guy keeps talking over him (in japanese) and the irish guy can't understand, but the japanese guy just keeps on talking.
    It's like they're saying japanese people are ignorant b@stards.

Another change station ad for me

I completely misinterpreted this ad when it was out first and actually used to quite enjoy it...

I always took the guy on the other end of the phone to be Chinese rather than Japanese. My assumption was that the hapless Irish guy had outsourced the production of his goods to China to save a few quid and then suddenly ran into all this hassle, language barriers, distance based problems etc.

Until I realised the Irish guy was looking to get paid, so I had it completely backwards and he was selling, not buying!

I don't think it makes the foreign guy out to be ignorant though, maybe more the Irish guy who isn't able to speak his customer's language and doesn't do anything to sort out the problem other than saying "I CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOU". :D

I wonder what the Irish guy is selling into the East anyway that can't be made cheaper and better there?! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's probably been mentioned before but i was not going to read through 96 pages to find it - the ad with the 2 old women -

"Hello Joan it's been ages"and ends "Now that isn't a long time"

Some house improvement ad. I keep thinking it's off the air and then it turns up like a bad penny. As soon as I hear it I change the station or put on a cd. So contrived and poorly written. Really vomit-inducing

The radio ads for Phoenix magazine are really starting to annoy me.

They consist of a list of names read out at high speed, and Im not sure who 90% of these names belong to, but from the 10% of them that I have heard of, Im quite sure I wouldn't like to be stuck in a lift with any of them.

(Gerald Keane, Mary O Rourke, various Dublin 4 property boomers etc.)

Anyhow, that's not the annoying bit. People I haven't heard of have just as much right to exist & be featured in an up-its-own-arse money fanzine as people I have heard of, even if they do eventually turn out to be annoying tits.

The annoying part is that this weekly ad is read out in the most grating high pitched monotone I've heard in a long time.

It's really nails-on-blackboard stuff. Horrible altogether.

• Advertisement

On Newstalk any one the George Hook promos especially the "cock and rooster" one are grating in the extreme!! And are repeated ad nauseum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

(Gerald Keane, Mary O Rourke, various Dublin 4 property boomers etc.)

Anyhow, that's not the annoying bit. People I haven't heard of have just as much right to exist & be featured in an up-its-own-arse money fanzine as people I have heard of.

I might be missing something with The Phoenix, but I usually find they dig lots of scuttlebut, and slate these very same people at every available oppo.

Not familiar with the radio ad but if it's 'Goldhawk calling all Phoenix fans' (or something) then I like the CJ from beyond the grave buzz. He hasn't gone away you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Big Tone wrote: »
    On Newstalk any one the George Hook promos especially the "cock and rooster" one are grating in the extreme!! And are repeated ad nauseum.

It is a stimulating ad though!biggrin.gif

Not familiar with the radio ad but if it's 'Goldhawk calling all Phoenix fans' (or something) then I like the CJ from beyond the grave buzz. He hasn't gone away you know.

It's not the Goldhawk ads. I remember those.

This one has a rather more excitable "Barry Scott from the cillit bang ads with a pistol barrel up each nostril" vibe to it.

Monotonous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 dreilly1990

That daft dave ad always recks my head when it is on

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Those new National radio cabs ads are beyond retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

I'd be very surprised if its not already here but can't stand 8202020 ,does me head in altogether.

And as for "have you made the switch" Lucy Kennedy, Sweet Jeebus she's become very annoying.

I've heard those "Little Steps" ads by the HSE a couple of times now, and I still can't figure out what the hell they are on about. Ones tells you to eat a snack before going shopping :confused: There's another one with two kids talking to each other, and this makes little sense either. Is this the kind of rubbish that the HSE is wasting it's 20billion euro budget on?

jor el wrote: »
    Ones tells you to eat a snack before going shopping :confused:
    I heard it this morning too. I can only guess that they mean by eating a snack before shopping, you're less likely to buy junk food. It's a weird one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is an ad for a gardening company, voiced by a well known gardener with a slight lisp.

The ad writers, in their infinite wisdom, tried to fit in as many words with the letter S (or soft Cs) as they could. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Mr E wrote: »
    There is an ad for a gardening company, voiced by a well known gardener with a slight lisp.

The ad writers, in their infinite wisdom, tried to fit in as many words with the letter S (or soft Cs) as they could. :)

I actually thought that was Mario Rosenstock first time I heard it.

Supremely sneaky slipping him such a sibilant script. :D

+1 to the rant against the adenoidal crack addict doing the Phoenix ad too. it's on 4fm every 5 minutes. Very annoying.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement