Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

jor el wrote: »
    I've heard those "Little Steps" ads by the HSE a couple of times now, and I still can't figure out what the hell they are on about. Ones tells you to eat a snack before going shopping :confused: There's another one with two kids talking to each other, and this makes little sense either. Is this the kind of rubbish that the HSE is wasting it's 20billion euro budget on?

The ad with the two kids is incredibly annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

2fivers wrote: »
    Supremely sneaky slipping him such a sibilant script. :D

Hehe, very good...

"Huthkvarna chainthawth and ride-on mowerth"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Cant stand the ad at the moment with the loonatic shouting

"Moher, Moher!!

and then some other guy saying to get behind the cliffs of Moher

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

The 8202020 ads drive me bonkers, I have to turn it off when it comes on. I dunno, the girl's voice just really grates...:mad:

The moher man is getting annoying too.

Anyone heard the one about the two kids discussing birthday presents? I dont know what it is for, the HSE or the Safe Food Council or something like that. The little boy explains how he got something like 20 footballs from relatives. Could they not think of something else associated with football other than balls?!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 realitylied

The best has to be that Insulator ad lol, I won't need to be back

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jerrehpips

or how about the creme egg mcflurry ad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

emy-87 wrote: »
    The 8202020 ads drive me bonkers, I have to turn it off when it comes on. I dunno, the girl's voice just really grates...:mad:

The moher man is getting annoying too.

Anyone heard the one about the two kids discussing birthday presents? I dont know what it is for, the HSE or the Safe Food Council or something like that. The little boy explains how he got something like 20 footballs from relatives. Could they not think of something else associated with football other than balls?!:confused:

With his accent, the first time I heard that ad I thought he was saying he got a "bowl" off everyone! Then at the end when his friend asks him who his favourite footballer is and he says his mum.....GAH get off my radio kid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jerrehpips wrote: »
    or how about the creme egg mcflurry ad?

As in good, or utterly irritating? I want to stab your one in the face, the patronising bitch.

What gives with the Pat the Baker ad though? Every time the girl says half pan, the sound goes down, and it's almost inaudible. Bizarre, and stupid.

Annoying ad of the hour has to go to Spar (once again) only it's even worse now. It's just brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

New Public Ad Enemy No. 1 for Damo....

Mace and Craig Doyle. Done in the style of Troy McClure, though not intentionally....

"Hi, I'm Craig Doyle. You may remember me from shows such as BBC rugby, and nowadays rugby on ITV4. When back home I pop into Mace for a breakfast roll. I can't resist them. Mace also helps to pay for the drop in income and exposure since leaving the BBC"

That's roughly how it goes.

Cringe worthy doesn't half cover it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This I have got to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Creme Egg Mc Flurry ad bitch....die, preferably from something painful and prolonged. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

I suggest grabbing the nasal-voiced "Pheeeeenix Maga-ZeeeeeeeEEEEN" man by the ankles and using him to violently beat the McFlurry woman.

My world would be brighter for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The ads with the Eddie Hobbs impersonation voice-overs are unbearable. He's an annoying prick himself so why the f**k pretend to be him???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭DJMG92

emy-87 wrote: »

yeh that is so annoying!

As in good, or utterly irritating? .

Oh god, utterly irritating!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Come to think of it, those blsated children advertising disneyland are maddening.
    "Will Mickey be there???" "Yeah!, and Minnie too!!" Goddamn, Disneyland isn't even that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Sorry if its already been mentioned, but that Spar ad with Bertie is just utter ****e! :mad:

What is it with convenience stores and woeful ads?? :confused::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

What is it with convenience stores and woeful ads?? :confused::(

Its a direct correlation with their woeful prices.

Sh1te value, ergo, sh1te ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

hot Press Magazine Ad- Cant stand the people's voices in thoses ads. I always switch off the radio until they are over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Unislim ad with Deirdre O'Kane, just heard it twice on the cycle home. Only twice and she is already wrecking my head. Cant stand this woman or her "property guru" sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Why does the guy have to shout in the no-nonsense dot ie ad.

I was about to fall asleep in bed last night listening to the radio and during the ad break, and suddenly I hear this guy shouting no nonsense. WTF?? :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Irish Ferries ad is awful. Some guy with a really weird voice going on about I don't know what because I had to switch over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Is it me or does anyone else hate that Rochestown Park Hotel ad that is always on Newstalk!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

Donegal Catch ad. Good god. I've heard better gags pulled from christmas crackers.
    ...and saying them in an ironic nordie/Donegal accent doesn't add to the humour either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Is it me or does anyone else hate that Rochestown Park Hotel ad that is always on Newstalk!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

It's "Rocherstown" according to the kid who starts off.

how could the people making that ad. leave that in.

Is it soooo hard to say "Rochestown"

Drives this bantam cock up on his perch big time.

• Advertisement

Two ads boiling my p155 at the moment:

- That Weedol ad where yer wan has a new car that she wants to show to her mate, and there are weeds in the driveway, which yer man will get rid of with Weedol. The time saved, he can use to clean the car and only watch the second half of the match, because he's so bloody whipped! If he had any balls at all he'd tell her to wash her own car, beeyatch!

- Will Leahy and Column and Dumb Bum ads for 2FM on Radio 1... you know the ones where all the people are "trying on" the music. Stupid idea, stupid puns, and some guy with a stupid American accent at the end, trying to sound cool: "wlivin' tha wlife, wlovin' tha musiahk... arrrr-tee-eee, two ahf ahmm!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

What genius in the ad agency that looks after Superquinn, thought it would be a great idea to run the ads:

"This is an ad for Mary in Walkinstown..."

on radio stations in Carlow/Kilkenny/Limerick/Waterford/Kilkenny?

Surely it wouldn't have cost that much extra to localise them?

mick_irl wrote: »
    What genius in the ad agency that looks after Superquinn, thought it would be a great idea to run the ads:

"This is an ad for Mary in Walkinstown..."

on radio stations in Carlow/Kilkenny/Limerick/Waterford/Kilkenny?

Surely it wouldn't have cost that much extra to localise them?

Cue responses totally missing the point and showing a complete lack of understanding such as:

- Well you can't just have ads for every little parish around de countree, sure that would be ridiculous!
    - Sure everybody knows where Walkinstown is!
    - Ah Jaysus, is that chip on your shoulder from McDonald's or Boorger King? Hahahahahaha!!!

fricatus wrote: »

- Will Leahy and Column and Dumb Bum ads for 2FM on Radio 1... you know the ones where all the people are "trying on" the music. Stupid idea, stupid puns, and some guy with a stupid American accent at the end, trying to sound cool: "wlivin' tha wlife, wlovin' tha musiahk... arrrr-tee-eee, two ahf ahmm!"

Damn straight. New music? All the tracks are at least 6 months old and already played to death by the commercial stations.
    Will someone please explain to me why RTÉ are advertising their youth station (lol) on radio 1? What R1 regular is honestly going to re-tune to 2FM? If they're re-tuning it's most likely to be Lyric or Newstalk, perhaps todayFM. Similarly, should a wayward youth happen to end up on the fogey's staion they'll have re-tuned before any ad break occurs, lest their ears might start bleeeding from lack of choons.
    Oh wait, it's just to fill up the slots they can't sell. Try putting on some more content instead of padding out ad breaks you twits.

I find that when the 2fm ad is played on Radio 1 it's quite jarring. It really doesn't suit the tone, particularly when played first or last in the sequence of ads.

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    Damn straight. New music? All the tracks are at least 6 months old and already played to death by the commercial stations.
    Will someone please explain to me why RTÉ are advertising their youth station (lol) on radio 1? What R1 regular is honestly going to re-tune to 2FM? If they're re-tuning it's most likely to be Lyric or Newstalk, perhaps todayFM. Similarly, should a wayward youth happen to end up on the fogey's staion they'll have re-tuned before any ad break occurs, lest their ears might start bleeeding from lack of choons.
    Oh wait, it's just to fill up the slots they can't sell. Try putting on some more content instead of padding out ad breaks you twits.
    Those 2FM ads are easily a year old, I remember hearing them last summer. They've obviously recycled them, they should've updated the tracks at least.

janeybabe wrote: »
    I find that when the 2fm ad is played on Radio 1 it's quite jarring. It really doesn't suit the tone, particularly when played first or last in the sequence of ads.

Very true. It just sounds wrong on R1.

The new Costcutter ads are fairly bad. They got rid of Dierdre O'Kane, which can only be a good thing, but these new Minister for Value ones are just brutal. Worse than that is the editing. A five year old with a tape recorder could do better. I hope whoever made these ads didn't get paid.

Then there's the Pathclear ad. More irritating than the constant news reports about swine flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

is that neurotic Niamh I can hear on pathclear or weedol?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

This entire ad break has been brought to you by the publicans of Dublin!
    His moobs ad got cancelled :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

My daughter just told me how to solve a big problem...you know those African kids who get sick from drinking dirty water...why not send them the Irish rain.
    I told her we do something much better than that....

Smug...twee...patronizing...hate it hate it hate it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

REEDS OF NASSAL STREET
    REEDS OF NASSAL STREET
    REEDS OF NASSAL STREET

EVERY 5 ****ING MINUTES
    I THOUGHT THIS AD WAS DEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAD!1!!!

New ad that grinds my gears.
    goes a little something like...

One euro, one movie, one night, how much is that?

All to the sound of a coin rolling.
    first heard this when i woke up this morning
    i hate it already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I haven't read any of the thread, but I particularly enjoyed the self-advertising one on Newstalk.

The one about stimulating your cock ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Have to say I really like the ad for Specsavers where the guy goes in and asks for glasses, then asks for scratch resistant lens, then asks for 2 pairs etc etc and then sales assistant is ringing up the till while laughing away and then when he asks the last question the jackpot noise from a fruit machine kicks in ! Classic !

Well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Sizzler wrote: »
    Have to say I really like the ad for Specsavers where the guy goes in and asks for glasses, then asks for scratch resistant lens, then asks for 2 pairs etc etc and then sales assistant is ringing up the till while laughing away and then when he asks the last question the jackpot noise from a fruit machine kicks in ! Classic !

Well done :)

It's not too unlike the nononsense.ie car insurance ad tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mmcd wrote: »
    This entire ad break has been brought to you by the publicans of Dublin!
    His moobs ad got cancelled :D

Heard that; good ad but I'm sure it'll get boring if its overdone. But as it can't be the cheapest to air thats not that likely...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

i hate it already

:mad::mad::mad:

Does my nut too ..........

Is that what that noise is? I couldn't quite figure out, over the sound of my blood boiling. What is the point of repeating it over and over? As sad as it may seem, but ads like this make you wish they'd go bankrupt soon.

I actually had to threaten notes home for annoying the teacher to the kids in my class who were repeating that Xtravision ad over and over and over....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As sad as it may seem, but ads like this make you wish they'd go bankrupt soon.

You wish may be their command, seeing as they've hit the wall twice in my lifetime as it is... and their parent firm is buggered: http://www.limerickblogger.ie/blog/2009/03/xtra-vision-parent-company-close-to-collapse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

i hate it already

couldnt agree more ,its dreadful

Having been back working in Dublin the past while, I have been introduced to the devil incarnate aka the 8202020 taxi ads...between those and the xtravision ads (which I'm considering to be a breach of the geneva convention rules on acceptable torture methods), the radio has been getting switched off in favour of someone's mp3 player..anyone's mediocre music collection is better than the dross coming over the radiowaves both on and between the ad breaks of late...

janeybabe wrote: »
    I actually had to threaten notes home for annoying the teacher to the kids in my class who were repeating that Xtravision ad over and over and over....

lol, it's the same insidious method by which Lady GaGa reaches the top of the charts...sampled repetition of annoyingsome vocals.
    I can see "how much is da'?" being a great come back to just about anything a teacher would have to ask :D Damn I miss school...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

There's some ad for Words of Peace.ie or something on Newstalk. Someone spouting guff about emptying your mind and filling your heart :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Today's bugbears:

€ircon ad with yer wan who's a mum, a partner, etc...and most surprisingly "a dancer in the dark with her eyes shut tight". She's just her. What any or all of this has to do with their broadband products is anyone's guess but eircom's ad agency have a fine return to form with this rubbish. More of the same crap to come over the coming months as babcock and brown struggle for new business I imagine. I can't wait...

Tubs n tiles sale ad with some annoying metrosexual telling us about the shop's sale and adding in a funny addendum about line dancing (wtf?)...it's not the ad or the store I have a problem with, just the guy's irritating mannerisms, accent and the general tone of the ad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement