Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The ad for Athlone Town centre where (I think) Bernard and Keith from i105-107 get mixed up with Big Brands and Big Bands with one of them doing the most awful trumpet noise. Absolutely cringe worthy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gleannmhuire

The actual message on the NEWSTALK ad for wordsofpeace.ie was

'When the mind feels empty, it is relatively easy to take care of it; turn on the TV
    But when the heart feels empty, you better know how to fill your heart'

I liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

If you're lookin for a cab it's the phone you gotta grab....
    call 8 swenty swenty swenty.....

I was convinced it was one of the eastern bloccers singing, but seemly she's irish

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

That add. with the little girls. Talking about INVESTMENT BANKING.

/facepalm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wertz wrote: »
    €ircon ad with yer wan who's a mum, a partner, etc...

I particularly hate the eircom ad that states "we don't believe in leaving anyone behind" which is complete BS, as they've left tens of thousands behind by refusing to upgrade exchanges for broadband. It's a blatant lie.
    just the guy's irritating mannerisms, accent and the general tone of the ad.

His smug tone, and whatever that accent is, pisses me off.

The comfort ad, with all the stupid voices, is quite confusing. What exactly is the point of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

There's an add in the style of X-factor but I've no idea what it's for at the moment. It was someone doing a poor impression of Bertie coming in and saying somethng like "I have got what it takes Louis".
    But what's even worse is that the person replying who one would expect is Louis Walsh juding from 'Berties' comment is actually imititating Simon Cowell, what's that all about :confused:

Jip wrote: »
    comment is actually imititating Simon Cowell, what's that all about :confused:

That's got me too, was sure that was Bertie and Simon for ages. It's the poorest Louis Walsh impersonation ever.

That bloody Cat Laughs ad is really grating now though, you know the one with all the fake "worst laughs". It goes through my head like a Barry's Tea toy train set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Amused by the change in the Volkswagon ad.

About 2 weeks ago it had the line "Our servers will never be able to cope".
    Then they realised "crap... nobody will ever place an order if they think our servers can't handle it".
    So they changed it to "We will never be able to cope".

FAIL. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

BER assesment advert now doing the rounds on the nationals...where the hell they dug up yer wan with the marbled mouth I'll never know.

"You must have a BER assesment carried out; It's The Law!!"

Jesus H Christ...it's the law? Big bloody deal...in case no-one's noticed, nobody really gives a damn about laws in this country as it stands.

"Well thought you might be interested, being the in property game and all?"

I hope you end your days in a derelict tenament...see where your property game and your energy rating gets you then.
    Remember folks "It's the law!" You wouldn't want to get in trouble now would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rainey.

i love the ads for pubs... brought to you by the publakins of dublin hahaha class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Hate that stupid specsavers ad at the moment, ye know, the one with some old geyser thinks the guards are at the door because he didnt pay for his glasses. The moral of the story is that its some specsavers offer for OAPs, believe it or not!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

BER assesment advert now doing the rounds on the nationals...where the hell they dug up yer wan with the marbled mouth I'll never know.

"You must have a BER assesment carried out; It's The Law!!"

Jesus H Christ...it's the law? Big bloody deal...in case no-one's noticed, nobody really gives a damn about laws in this country as it stands.

"Well thought you might be interested, being the in property game and all?"

I hope you end your days in a derelict tenament...see where your property game and your energy rating gets you then.
    Remember folks "It's the law!" You wouldn't want to get in trouble now would you?

My theory on this one is they only had budget to pay one professional actor. And rather than compromise the 'Smart Female / Dumb Male' rule of advertising by asking the actor to act two male voices, they instead picked someone up from the office, shoved the tired script in her face and said 'Read that (and remember, the man is thick)'.

Presto, the ad.

That **** about the insulation is driving me up the wall.

"NOW YOU HAVE TO ASK ME SOMETHING". If a man started talking to be in that voice on the phone, I'd hang up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I know they're not ads but all of the 2FM promos running on Radio 1 are repetitive rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

How bout that current ad for erectile disfunction.

24 year old female replying to a 38 year old male:
    "We'd always been close, but now, we were.....(searches for phrase) ...LOSING that closeness.....?????
    After they got him all sorted out she beams:
    "Now,... we're closer than ever!!!
    Well, whup-de-doo!
    If they have to advertise this in the middle of the day, why not use actors who would be nearer the age of people who suffer from these problems.
    Like mid sixties or so.
    Still hate this ad:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Big Tone wrote: »
    I know they're not ads but all of the 2FM promos running on Radio 1 are repetitive rubbish!

At least they've updated the music on them at long last!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Big Tone wrote: »
    mick_irl wrote: »
    At least they've updated the music on them at long last!

And gotten rid of that incredibly annoying "Yes, they're quite the Ting, ehh Ting" line. That irritated me so very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I don't see the point of trying to turn a radio 1 listener to 2fm. It would never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I don't see the point of trying to turn a radio 1 listener to 2fm. It would never happen.

Its a joke and if anything is a 2FM turn-off for any potential Radio 1 listeners.

RTE are in the enviable position of cross-promotion but this shameful promo for 2FM on Radio 1 is most inappropriate!

Bond-007 wrote: »

I actually went in the other direction thanks to Colm and Jim Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

There's a new ad on from Bord Bia promoting Irish lamb.

"Celebrity Chef" Nevin McGuire is on it, but every time I hear it, all I can think of is Fr Ted's Eoin McLove!

Has anyone ever seen them both in the same place at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Worst ad at the moment is for the Irish Management Institute, with yer wan chatting about how she's doing her management degree or whatever, and she's obviously supposed to be in a lift, because you can hear it go "ding".

The guy in the lift then suggests to her "I presume you're going all the way to the top", to which she replies "so could you" :rolleyes:

It is just the lamest ad ever. I laughed out loud when I first heard it, but then I began to wonder should I just vomit altogether...

I can picture a comedy version of the ad, where the guy replies "no, biiitch, I wasn't talking career! I was talking about the canteen on the top floor! It's lunchtime! Who the hell do you think you are anyway, with that attitude! Know your place and drop to your knees right now!

(oops, got a bit carried away there :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

There's some right howlers on Newstalk (and I assume other stations) at the moment:

- the one for the new patio with 2 old boilers banging on about 'peeling shoulders and a Dehli belly.'
    - the one for used cars from Merlin. It's one of those ads where 2 guys talk back and forth about what they're doing but the 2 guys have really similar voices so it sounds like some dude talking to himself about his new car.

Bad, bad stuff.

Edit: Ha! As I was typing this post Eoin on Off The Ball just read out a text from a listener saying the 'peeling shouldes' ad makes him want tho throw himself off a cliff.

Kildare Village. That fake yank accent annoys me so much.

The "Words Of Peace" ad is extremely unsettling. The fella sounds like he cant make up his mind on what country he's from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

bilko1234 wrote: »
    How bout that current ad for erectile disfunction.

24 year old female replying to a 38 year old male:
    "We'd always been close, but now, we were.....(searches for phrase) ...LOSING that closeness.....?????
    After they got him all sorted out she beams:
    "Now,... we're closer than ever!!!
    Well, whup-de-doo!
    If they have to advertise this in the middle of the day, why not use actors who would be nearer the age of people who suffer from these problems.
    Like mid sixties or so.
    Still hate this ad:mad:

:eek:WTF

People have sex in their mid sixties!!!!

Never!!!!

Good Jebus, there's a new Garmin ad (two varieties) and they're just woeful. Pray you don't hear them, just pray.

There's a Meteor ad that I didn't quite hear, but the end made me laugh. Something about the girl dumping her fella because of his height, "He'd be banging his head on hanging baskets, I'd be embarrassed". Silly, but the first radio ad that made me laugh in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

autoplus repair, autoplus replace-grrr it works but its annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

jor el wrote: »
    Good Jebus, there's a new Garmin ad (two varieties) and they're just woeful. Pray you don't hear them, just pray.

Your warning comes too late, jor el... I heard it yesterday :eek: And you say there's another variety? I had flashbacks to that awful woman singing about needing lane assist over Christmas!

Here's my message to Garmin though: after hearing your annoying ad with that American woman singing, I resolved never to buy a Garmin. In February, I became the proud owner of a Tom Tom One satellite navigation device! Now if everyone would just do the same until they change those bloody ads!

There's a good ad for the TV licence at the moment. Though I hate the general tone of those ads, I get the impression that they've cottoned on to this and are using humour - a much better strategy in my view! The ad in question is the one with the woman telling the inspector that the dog ate her TV licence because he has "a problem with authority, don't you <dog's name>? Good boy!!! <GROWWWLLL... whimper!>". Hilarious, but then I love dogs! :D

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    And you say there's another variety?

There are two different singing on the bus ads, with two different songs. Both crap.
    corcaigh07]autoplus repair, autoplus replace-grrr it works

Not well enough, it's Autoglass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Thank god I'm not the only one nearly pushed into a homocidal rage by the new Garmin ad. When will marketing leeches realise that not all press is good press? The nation hates your ads. The nation will not buy your products!!! Now I'll spread that message "everywhere I go".

Everywhere we go Everywhere we go
    People always ask us People always ask us
    Who we are Who we are
    Why so angry Why so angry

F**king GARMIN, that's why.

end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

That new one from Kellogg's about collecting art stuff for children...

It's way he says the line "your budding little Picassos" that really gets on my tits. :mad:

Does anyone know what the story is with the Elvery Sports ads? Two escaped mental patients with severe ADD having a conversation with each other, but seemingly two completely different conversations. Oh, and an elephant wailing. It's just bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Scene: An Irish Ad Agency meeting room.

customer: "so guys, we want to commission a new, fresh advertising campaign to sell our widgets"

Ad guy: "We've got just the thing. It's two people talking. One of them will say he's looking for a widget, and the other one will recommend your widgets"

Customer: "really?"

Ad Guy: "yeah. Now gimmie my money".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

On 96Fm in cork there is an add for a builders providers. Torture!

We built this city Corks builders providers built this city.
    the above is sung to sound like this song. Starship - We Built this City

the above is sung to sound like this song. Starship - We Built this City
    Sacrilege!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

jor el wrote: »
    There are two different singing on the bus ads, with two different songs. Both crap.

Not well enough, it's Autoglass.

i thought so too but it really sounded like autoplus in the ad jingle bit to my ears. i figured they changed name or something, never mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Its a brutal ad, everytime I hear it i turn the radio down

Grrrrrrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

lol was just coming on here to make a tirade about the autoglass ad.
    The annoyingly catchy breathy vocals and jingle isn't even the worst part...this dude from some undefined area of Dublin sing-talks this bullsh*t about cracks and €2 coins and speedbumps.
    I don't know how they managed to make this bit so annoying but they did...then you just make sure it's on every damn ad break across the airwaves during daytime and you have the makings of a real stinker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 noiseannoys

The RTE promo for Gaelic Games coverage on radio, where they come the length and breadth of the land, to do battle, epic, etc., is the one that has me reaching for the volume button. There's an awful lot to be said for living close enough to Norn Iron to be able to get clutter-free Beeb stuff on FM in the house, car or phone:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

The RTE promo for Gaelic Games coverage on radio, where they come the length and breadth of the land, to do battle, epic, etc., is the one that has me reaching for the volume button.

And the cod-country accent - together with the uilleann pipe dirge music - that's supposed to make it more soulful or something. It's a total turn-off

• Registered Users Posts: 25 noiseannoys

It's a total turn-off
    I feel your pain, MrsDeWinter:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

And the cod-country accent - together with the uilleann pipe dirge music - that's supposed to make it more soulful or something. It's a total turn-off

Absolutely agree, think its Jonathan Ryan doing the voiceover.

Absolutely hate the Garmin ad, will never buy a product from the bastards.

That Irish Ferries ad wrecks my head as well. That bllox with the D4 accent and poor acting skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

The FairCo advert that begins "Ah, my sister recommended FairCo...".

If it isn't intentionally crap, all those involved deserve to be shot.

The Brennan's bread adverts. Like listening to nails on a blackboard.

Those inserts on the Matt Cooper show for the Irish Times: 150 years of blah, blah, blah in that ridiculous delivery.

The smug "Sky"-style self-promos that have started to appear on Newstalk recently. Claire Byrne's is particularly grating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Nightwish wrote: »
    Thank god I'm not the only one nearly pushed into a homocidal rage by the new Garmin ad. When will marketing leeches realise that not all press is good press? The nation hates your ads. The nation will not buy your products!!! Now I'll spread that message "everywhere I go".

It does work though. I gotta gotta Garmin (sorry!) a while ago and if I've got friends in the car, they can't help but sing the song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Newstalk seem to have some ads that don't appear on other stations and are very annoying.

'Black and yellow, Black and yellow, Black and yellow, Black and yellow,' on the ad for Hales freight.

Then there's the national radio cab ads with crap fake 30's USA accents, 'oh it's national radio cabs driver person guy', not one bit funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

has anyone heard that god awful ad for Ice beer or something. The woman is humming along to the Beach Boys "Sufing USA" but doing it in a sort of way that makes her sound like she's shivering.

I swear to god It is the worst radio ad ever. I actually turned to a different radio station. It was just horrible:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Absolutely agree, think its Jonathan Ryan doing the voiceover.

ha - yes I think it is now that you say it. I was wondering why I kept expecting him to invite me to "knock knock, open wide" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

dont know if anyone else had mentioned these already but those LVA ads to get you into your local pub really annoy me:mad: especially the one where the whole ad break has been taken over by that baz guy and his man boobs then dara obrian and lucy kennedy and her match making bit:rolleyes:. their voices are like nails on a chalk board!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement