Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

The 11890 advert with a guy with a sort of cheeky Dublinese accent,
    11-8-nointy ? Is it my imagination or is it that scut Paddy Courtney ?
    Fast smart-ar$e delivery that grates. Sounds like a younger version of
    Brendan O'Carroll ...

die-rect-tree inn choir-ees... 11-ate-noyen-tee

Anyone know if it is Courtney who does this voiceover ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

swingking wrote: »
    has anyone heard that god awful ad for Ice beer or something. The woman is humming along to the Beach Boys "Sufing USA" but doing it in a sort of way that makes her sound like she's shivering.

I swear to god It is the worst radio ad ever. I actually turned to a different radio station. It was just horrible:mad:

lmao caught that this evening and thought there was somehting up with my reception or something I think it's for some new Budweiser spin off...something else to boycott so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Any ad on I102-104 at the minute with the thief...........god that laugh!!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

The current Stenna Line ad on 2FM with the kid saying:
    "The S**T was brilliant" .......sounds like that anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The kid on the Failte Ireland ad, you know the one, where he keeps asking are we there yet to various places outside Dublin, none of which I can understand as he can't talk properly, well he's really annoying me at this stage. What is it with marketing drones and their obsession with using irritating children to advertise products?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

"Autoglass repair. Autoglass replace."

Ads like this are why I installed an iPod connector in my car radio.

jor el wrote: »
    The kid on the Failte Ireland ad, you know the one, where he keeps asking are we there yet to various places outside Dublin, none of which I can understand as he can't talk properly, well he's really annoying me at this stage. What is it with marketing drones and their obsession with using irritating children to advertise products?

Yep, that and the bloody airtricity ads.

Go away children...mummy and daddy aren't going to listen to household budgeting advice from people who can't even use a toilet properly yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lassiecomehome

The one with the women talking over coffee *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

The one with the women talking over coffee *shudder*

Any one with women chatting over their coffee. *shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

mobius42 wrote: »
    "Autoglass repair. Autoglass replace."

Ads like this are why I installed an iPod connector in my car radio.

i still think that is Autoplus Repair, Autoplus Replace. my ears must be f*cked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Any one with women chatting over their coffee. *shudder*

Ugh. "I told him I was pregnant". Aren't I a responsible adult?

And another classic..

"If you want a tasty baaaaaaaaake" but thankfully that one's been taken off the air.

The one that really done my nut recently was the one with the husband phoning his wife and sadly huffing that she won't be home for dinner, and that the kids miss her..and she makes it back from her business trip just in time and everyone's happy.

I don't know whether it was for an airline or what..absolutely dreadful, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

APM wrote: »

I thought I was the only one who heard it like this! And then it sounds like he's talking about a "space****" straight after it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

APM wrote: »

Yep! I was thinking it sounded like that as well! :D

Also, does anyone think it's annoying that it's done in an English accent?

Not saying that there's anything wrong with the English (heaven forfend...) or their accents, but it's just like they couldn't be orsed to have an ad "localised" for Ireland with an Irish accent - they just ran the UK one (well Oiehland is still like, UK-ish, innit?)

Kinda like the way the Spanish tourist board ran ads a few years back here, and the phone number was the English 0800 number (jes, well Airelang ees parrt off Grayt Breetan, no?) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Who's responsible for this abomination. Advertising at its worst. Harvey Norman is in a bad enough state without this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It's a horror show, worse than anything previous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Merged with existing bad advert thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

The road safety authority's "He Drives, She dies" advert is astounding.

Not only is the ad badly made, and poorly scripted ("girls - time to put the foot down". Nice wording in a road safety ad, there chaps.) , but I'm left wondering how on earth they can get away with such a sweeping generalisation wrapped up in smug sexism.

Smacks very much of "we've made a complete b*llix of the speed limits, speed traps, penalty points, drink driving legislation, provisional licencing, road status, motor tax, road quality, motorway maintenance, and everything else. We have to get some breathing space to get the heat off us before people realise we're squandering piles of cash on f*ck all.

Let's blame the men. Everything wrong with the Irish roads can be solved by saying "careful now" to any girls thinking of getting into a car with a young fellah. That should make the country safer."

Utter arse. The roads are in a hideous state in this country & driver skill is noticeably poor, but this feeble, sexist, poorly thought out campaign isn't going to reduce road fatalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Not only is the ad badly made, and poorly scripted ("girls - time to put the foot down". Nice wording in a road safety ad, there chaps.) , but I'm left wondering how on earth they can get away with such a sweeping generalisation wrapped up in smug sexism.

Smacks very much of "we've made a complete b*llix of the speed limits, speed traps, penalty points, drink driving legislation, provisional licencing, road status, motor tax, road quality, motorway maintenance, and everything else. We have to get some breathing space to get the heat off us before people realise we're squandering piles of cash on f*ck all.

Let's blame the men. Everything wrong with the Irish roads can be solved by saying "careful now" to any girls thinking of getting into a car with a young fellah. That should make the country safer."

Utter arse. The roads are in a hideous state in this country & driver skill is noticeably poor, but this feeble, sexist, poorly thought out campaign isn't going to reduce road fatalities.

That ad is a disgrace. I can't imagine what the person who wrote it was thinking. Apart from the fact that it is badly worded and utterly unfair, it completely alienates male drivers which will be handy for the next time they run an ad aimed at males.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Autoglass repair...autoglass replace....Story bud, my names Anto and if you had have come to me earlier I woulda injected yer windscreen with me special resin, but now I'm gonna ride yer insurance company instead bareback for 400 yo yos for a new windscreen cos you were too lazy to come in and see me.

F**K OFF ! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

he was on Ray D'arcy today :)

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    he was on Ray D'arcy today :)

Does he sing everything he says?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

who, ray? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Oh god yes! Why do they insist on using a child who appears to be speaking (with the worlds worst speech impediment) through a mouth full of what I can only assume is spit? You can barely understand him, he's not cute, and I actually hate the ad entirely because of the annoying child in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

:mad::mad:The Maxwell House ads make my skin crawl!! :mad::mad:

:mad:Badly scripted and badly 'acted':mad::mad:

'..speaking of grand, where are those lovely scones?......' :confused:WHAT????:confused:

Whoever comes up with these 'two wimmin talking over a coffee' ads should be brought out and flogged in front of their families!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

+1 - with ads like this, no wonder board snip want to cut their budget.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Who's responsible for this abomination. Advertising at its worst. Harvey Norman is in a bad enough state without this

+1 aaaggrrr aarr aaaggghhh - total crap:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

The way to cure all those boy racers is to arm surplus civil servants and get them to shoot out their tyres when they're doing doughnuts and revving their Fiestas and Puntos in towns up and down the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

orourkeda wrote: »

can't believe they got away with doing this ad.........would drive anyone insane.........the sooner they close down the better.......I wouldn't miss listening to this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Any ad on I102-104 at the minute with the thief...........god that laugh!!!!

Brgds
    Johnny

Here's some piss takes i've done of those ads, click the link below.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/Y1RwTXRhV3JZY1RIRGc9PQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

paulhannon wrote: »
    Here's some piss takes i've done of those ads, click the link below.

37MB audio file. You couldn't have compressed it to mp3?

and having downloaded it, the quality is un-listenable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

Sizzler wrote: »
    Autoglass repair...autoglass replace....Story bud, my names Anto and if you had have come to me earlier I woulda injected yer windscreen with me special resin, but now I'm gonna ride yer insurance company instead bareback for 400 yo yos for a new windscreen cos you were too lazy to come in and see me.

F**K OFF ! :mad:

What gets me is the whole technical end of the spiel, shockwaves, resin, microcracks etc. Jaysus he's a lad that replaces broken windscreens, to listen to him you'd swear he was singlehandedly responsible for launching the Space Shuttle!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

37MB audio file. You couldn't have compressed it to mp3?

and having downloaded it, the quality is un-listenable.

no i couldn't no, it took me just 1min10sec to download (hardly an inconvenience) and the sound quality is fine.

The Maxwell House ads are awful. Especially the one about the Gaeltacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

janeybabe wrote: »
    They must have gotten funding for that one.

"Egxxxxxcell-ent"

:rolleyes:

Horrible (the ad and the coffee)

And the one with the girl talking about her 'homemade' scones. Shut up. It's not clever or funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Global Home Improvements silly ad back on with Anne and Joan 'it's been ages'. Bit I can never understand is when one of the housewives, responding to a line about them being in business for 27 years, says 'Now that isn't a long time!'. Maybe its the excitement of getting a free fifteen year guarantee. It's just been on RTE 1 and that's what the muppet actually says. Like to bash her with the unsightly facia boards from their other stupid ad!

In fairness she says "Now that is a long time".

I'm more worried about this poor woman talking to herself, since it's the same voice-actress that plays both voices...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

And the one with the girl talking about her 'homemade' scones. Shut up. It's not clever or funny.

I'd give her one :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Who remembers that bloody Reids of Nausault St ad, complete wreck the head:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Wertz wrote: »
    I'm more worried about this poor woman talking to herself, since it's the same voice-actress that plays both voices...
    ...and I thought it was just me who spotted that?

She seems to do every RTE VO requiring 'middle-class retired housewife'.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Anyone heard the Newstalk self-promo for Orla Barry where she's talking about interviewing Colin Firth in his hotel room?

For some reason I felt the urge to apologise to Mr Firth.

...and I thought it was just me who spotted that?

She seems to do every RTE VO requiring 'middle-class retired housewife'.
    God that silly c*nt nattering on on the phone (to herself!) about global home improvements/windows/conservatories...a highly irritant voice that we get to hear on the double (and in plenty of other ads)...she could give yer wan from Alliance Electrical a schooling on talking with marbles in her mouth that one...

I thought it was Kathleen Watkins for a while but probably not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Every Eircom ad bugs the hell out of me. I have to switch the radio station as soon as I hear one about to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I think it's been mentioned before, there's the new ad for Harvey Norman - WOW! HARVEY! WOW!!!
    Excruciating!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Anything voiced by Clelia Murphy, Dawn Bradfield or that D4 accent wanker that does the Irish ferries and other ads.

Oh and those stupid "oodles, poodles" ads for electricity or something. m

Failte Ireland horse show ad...I don't need to go into details, if you've heard it you know what I mean. Really defines what a bad radio advert is...

Really defines what a bad radio advert is...

Not the worst IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Wertz wrote:
    Failte Ireland horse show ad...I don't need to go into details, if you've heard it you know what I mean. Really defines what a bad radio advert is...

+1

This ad is unbelieveably bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭cml387

Oh **** the horsehow ad. Can they not try a bit harder?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement