Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

There's a new one out for some sort of cold beverage, where it consists of people shivering loudly. Its dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Old man decides he's going to hide in the attic 'cos that might be the guards ringing the front door bell, coming to take him away because he never paid for his glasses. But, as his wife tells him, of course he didn't pay for them! They're the second pair he got free from Specsavers. Hilarity ensues! Not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Bard wrote: »
    Old man decides he's going to hide in the attic 'cos that might be the guards ringing the front door bell, coming to take him away because he never paid for his glasses. But, as his wife tells him, of course he didn't pay for them! They're the second pair he got free from Specsavers. Hilarity ensues! Not.

Aye this one and the other specsavers one about hearing aids...irritating in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

That advert has been doing the rounds on Radio 1 for quite a while now. You'd think they would at least change the ads more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

How bout that TV license ad where the guy who answers the door says that he couldn't get one cause his Granny died.
    A narky Granny from inside shouts "I heard that!!!"
    He then says "Not you, the other one"
    Another narky Granny shouts "Are you talkin' about me now"
    I mean, who has two narky Grannys living with them????
    While I'm thinking of this....all TV license ads are dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bacon bites

what about the ones talking up....."oh yeah, chartered accounting". Since when did accounting become so glam?!

what about the ones talking up....."oh yeah, chartered accounting". Since when did accounting become so glam?!

"Obviously the bosses' luff choi-uld"

Shoot me now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

That Sky HD add with anthony hopkins and then the soccer dude with the funny accent talking about their favourite moment in life or something!,,,they're tryin to be all poignant with really poignant piano music in the background...oh the pathos of it all .. what a bunch of money grabbing wh*res..thank god Pat Kenny isn't round or he'd be interviewing them about it for 2 hours..im sure there's more to come with this HD add..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bacon bites

what really does my head in are the "Listen, Think, Know, Feel" promos on Newstalk. What jerk thought they were the way to go? I know that they are not technically ads but still...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

bilko1234 wrote: »
    How bout that TV license ad where the guy who answers the door says that he couldn't get one cause his Granny died.
    A narky Granny from inside shouts "I heard that!!!"
    He then says "Not you, the other one"
    Another narky Granny shouts "Are you talkin' about me now"
    I mean, who has two narky Grannys living with them????
    While I'm thinking of this....all TV license ads are dreadful.

They got Stephen Ireland working for them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

what really does my head in are the "Listen, Think, Know, Feel" promos on Newstalk. What jerk thought they were the way to go? I know that they are not technically ads but still...............

Newstalk must really be struggling to generate any advertising. Between the mindless frequency with which they peddle the few ads they have and the self-loving "LTKF" crap, it's becoming a real chore to listen to the station at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

emmemm wrote: »
    They got Stephen Ireland working for them now.

that's what the ad is mocking ffs.... *shakes head*. Did you all miss that. It's that D4 voiceover dickhead Mark Huberman that's voicing it as well. HATE HATE HATE those ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

"If you like the self-satisfying feeling of smugness you get from knowing you've wasted hundreds of euro on a pointless alarm system, then eircom smugwatch is for you". I wish that guy would just **** off, and take his stupid accent with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Steo K

the best one i think is that one with daft dave

turkish taverteen half price!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Steo K wrote: »
    the best one i think is that one with daft dave

So the recession has done us some favour - I havent heard that eejit daft Dave for a long while.:)

Roll on Harvey Norman.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The meteor ad about stupid text messages abroad is really bugging me. What utter imbeciles would send those kind of texts? Seriously? Meteor must think so little of their customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Armelodie wrote: »
    That Sky HD add with anthony hopkins and then the soccer dude with the funny accent talking about their favourite moment in life or something!,,,they're tryin to be all poignant with really poignant piano music in the background...oh the pathos of it all .. what a bunch of money grabbing wh*res..thank god Pat Kenny isn't round or he'd be interviewing them about it for 2 hours..im sure there's more to come with this HD add..

What!? The Sky ad isactually savage. I could listen to Anthony Hopkins talking all day. Highlights of the ad series are when he says: "Spooky. I love a good spook." and "People say it's hokey. Well, life is hokey. Life is hokey." I actually love those ads. It's probably his k's that I'm in love with, though.

The Irish Pride ads, with the crappy piano playing, have made an unwelcome return to the airwaves. Why must they subject us to this on an annual basis? Once wasn't enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

PunkFreud wrote: »
    What!? The Sky ad isactually savage. I could listen to Anthony Hopkins talking all day. Highlights of the ad series are when he says: "Spooky. I love a good spook." and "People say it's hokey. Well, life is hokey. Life is hokey." I actually love those ads. It's probably his k's that I'm in love with, though.

have you seen this?

http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/2183fc883c/test

(language nsfw if you use speakers)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Dr Sinnott

League of Ireland. Real football for real fans. Claire Byrne will be there. Will you??

Ah, not a feckin chance, if Clare Byrne thinks its worth going to then it must be crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I fuppin hate those Beacon Hospital ads...

(Cue sensitive music) "No-one should have to wait for medical care..."

Unless they're poor and don't have medical insurance of course...

"Our emergency department is open 8-6, Monday to Saturday..."

So little Conor or Saoirse will still have to mix it with all the povs in the public hospital system if they fall off their horse and break their arm at Gymkhana on a Sunday, right...

"Beacon Hospital. Because you deserve better."

Well given that we live in a supposedly rich developed country, we deserve better than a Hobson's choice between massive public waiting lists for the masses, and pay-your-way hospitals for the priveleged few...

The AXA Aviva/Hibernian soccer mom ad, "Running them to school, to their friends'...it NEVER STOPS!" and then we get the spiel about how if you're a safer driver Aviva will give you a discount...if you have no claims or no points they give you MORE discounts....eh, no you f*cking don't...in fact the last time I used your online quote system you wouldn't even quote me, despite my lack of points and 2 yrs NCB on a clean license....but wait, I'm not a woman.
    What a crock of sh*te.

Also huge thumbs down to the latest raft of Eircom ads...the one about cheap bargains referencing deflating medicine balls...yeah it's about all that's deflating in terms of your DSL tarrifs.
    They have another one too, who's plot escapes me but IIRC is even more annoying...if I hear it again I'll post a fuller critique.

That bord snip burger ad for supermacs is a load of toss too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Oh no those "Joan it's been ages" ads are back; can't stand them and I'd thought we'd seen the back of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Dr Sinnott

Those ads for Tom Crean antartic explorer. It might be a good show, I don't know but the ads are incredibly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Dr Sinnott wrote: »
    Those ads for Tom Crean antartic explorer. It might be a good show, I don't know but the ads are incredibly annoying.
    I don't know how there going to make any money on it.
    It's only on stage for a few days and they've been running that ad, ad-nauseum, for the past month, on RTE and Newstalk.
    Must be costing them a small fortune.
    Also, they could have varied the clips that are used, because the "I made a mistake!!!" one is very trying.

• Advertisement

bilko1234 wrote: »
    Also, they could have varied the clips that are used, because the "I made a mistake!!!" one is very trying.

It's probably the best one liner of the entire show?, I don't know - I haven't been to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Wertz wrote: »
    .if you have no claims or no points they give you MORE discounts....eh, no you f*cking don't...in fact the last time I used your online quote system you wouldn't even quote me, despite my lack of points and 2 yrs NCB on a clean license....but wait, I'm not a woman.
    What a crock of sh*te.

A bit off topic but try ringing them, I got ridiculous prices from everyone online but when I rang around they were cheapest at €999 for comprehensive, I can bring that down more by doing their free test and not driving between 11pm and 6am. I'm 22 year old male.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

The one for the translation service that finishes with the "punchline": "is it business-o conference-io?".

Hard to credit someone paid good money for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

It's rare a bitter old cynic like me compliments a radio ad, but there's a new Lifestyle radio ad on at the moment. The guy that does the voiceovers for E4 is doing the ad. He talks of the sale being 'Bleedin Massive' (as in Anto has a new jumper and it's bleedin massive) and it brought a smile to my face, keep an ear out for it, I heard it on FM 104 a few times earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

It's rare a bitter old cynic like me compliments a radio ad, but there's a new Lifestyle radio ad on at the moment. The guy that does the voiceovers for E4 is doing the ad. He talks of the sale being 'Bleedin Massive' (as in Anto has a new jumper and it's bleedin massive) and it brought a smile to my face, keep an ear out for it, I heard it on FM 104 a few times earlier.

Yeah, I never get to listen to FM 104 but somehow I caught it and it made me smile too! Kudos to Lifestyle for putting a bit of money and effort into it.

But while I'm here... there's an ad for, I think, templeogue college's post leaving cert courses. The set up is a man and woman talking about some other young lady and her plans for the next year. The man learns that Off-Stage woman will not be going to university next year, and says something like, 'Really? Is she...' Only for the woman to cut in quickly: 'No, nothing like that?'

Is she WHAT? Is she dying? Is she pregnant? Is she aware that her so-called 'friends' discuss her behind her back? I get so preoccupied wondering about the possibilities, that I tune out for the rest of the ad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

'Come to see Coldplay, the band that conquered the globe'

What a load of ****! If they 'conquered the globe' then why the fcuk are they still advertising a couple of weeks before the gig! Maybe its the fact that they're a ****e band and they're charging 76 euro for a ****e gig :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

'Come to see Coldplay, the band that conquered the globe'

What a load of ****! If they 'conquered the globe' then why the fcuk are they still advertising a couple of weeks before the gig! Maybe its the fact that they're a ****e band and they're charging 76 euro for a ****e gig :mad:
    Or maybe, just maybe theres some recession around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

dh0661 wrote: »
    It's probably the best one liner of the entire show?, I don't know - I haven't been to see it.

Judging by the "tepid"laughter by some female "in the audience" I doubt it.

Listen out for it... half hearted isn't in it.

What the is this "South Georgia on the *** of our ssssumb"

What Kerryman ever spoke like that and what the fook is he trying to convey:confused:

Overkill in the absolute extreme.

Sqeeze: Nearly a third, or more. Is it just me, or does that sound retarded to anyone else? How can it be nearly something, or more than it? It's been on twice at every ad break today too, which is even more annoying than a stupid slogan.

Also eircom, feck off with your stupid ads for your stupid useless products.

Has anyone posted the 11811 ad.

That ad. with the stupid voice from "the emergency" re. newstalk.

That voice really really really does my head in. :mad::mad:

That ad. with the stupid voice from "the emergency" re. newstalk.That voice really really really does my head in. :mad::mad:

I downloaded a few podcasts of The Emergency, and they really overuse the Dev voice with similar type fake announcements. Makes the show really, really irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Mmcd wrote: »
    Or maybe, just maybe theres some recession around!

Or maybe they're grossly overcharging their fans?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Has anyone posted the 11811 ad.

That ad. with the stupid voice from "the emergency" re. newstalk.

That voice really really really does my head in. :mad::mad:

So annoying. And that rider at the end - the one that echoes the "No Eddie Hobbs were harmed during the making of this commercial" - is just dreary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Ben Dunne's latest offering is a bit bizzare. Promoting his health clubs and launching an attack on Dunnes Stores at the same time. "Ben Dunnes better value beats them all".

See Don Wycherley is back with more annoying myhome.ie ads. A poor actor and a very irritating voice over "artist".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Why do they have an American in the ad for Kildare Village?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

She is not even an American. It is a very bad accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Bond-007 wrote: »
    She is not even an American. It is a very bad accent.

I'd say you're right. It's that default "twang" accent Irish people do when they're trying to imitate a yank. Still though, why? It's really irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone hear the new AIB Mortgages one with some woman gong on about getting her mortgage from AIB? Poorly edited. I know it's normal for members of the public tobe editited to shorten their contribution and make the editorial more pithy (as well as cutting out 'ums and 'ams but this girl's spiel sounds like it's undergone a hatchet job! Also, the really annoying thing she says at the end like 'and then it became MY mortgage as opposed to just like a piece of paper'... will you come on and get real. My mortgage is MY mortgage too, because if I don't pay it, I'll be out living in the hedge before too long! Ugh!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

I was listening to 2FM this morning and heard a Christmas (yes Christmas) ad from Harvey Norman.

I nearly choked on my cornflakes :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭luvs2spooge

123.ie without a shadow of a doubt

"Yeesssssssssssssssssssssssss!"

I want to strangle the computer animated twat!!!!

grrr!!

That bloody ad for some geriatric nutritional supplement is back...

"Now, Mr O'Brien, the smaller-sized writing..."

- "Now connnntainnns... lllllllutein. Now contains lutein!"

There's just something so patronising about it, though I can't put my finger on it. Also the way yer man says "llllllutein" really annoys me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

Yeah, I never get to listen to FM 104 but somehow I caught it and it made me smile too! Kudos to Lifestyle for putting a bit of money and effort into it.

But while I'm here... there's an ad for, I think, templeogue college's post leaving cert courses. The set up is a man and woman talking about some other young lady and her plans for the next year. The man learns that Off-Stage woman will not be going to university next year, and says something like, 'Really? Is she...' Only for the woman to cut in quickly: 'No, nothing like that?'

Is she WHAT? Is she dying? Is she pregnant? Is she aware that her so-called 'friends' discuss her behind her back? I get so preoccupied wondering about the possibilities, that I tune out for the rest of the ad...

I heard that one... I assumed 'pregnant'. Even if that is not want they meant, if that is what people are interpreting, then they are sending the WRONG message about their students. I actually emailed them about it after I heard the ad but I didn't get a response. They probably think I'm a crank. I really was just warning them to be careful when putting their brand in the hands of some ad agency.

I've only got one eyebrow
    I was born that way
    In the nip----

WTF this ad is the worst ad ever.:(:(:(:(

Advertising revenue for RTE must have reached a new low. But to use SH*T ads like this is the lowest form of crap ever. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

That guy doing the ad for Sky HD, pronouncing it "aitch dee". That annoys the sh1t out of me!

This is Ireland. We have our distinctive ways of saying things, such as "eejit", "Stephenses Day", "taytos", "suckin' daysel", and "haitch", which is the eighth letter of the alphabet.

"Aitch" is perfectly all right if you're northern, or from across the water, but it's just plain wrong, wrong, wrong coming from someone speaking Hiberno-English, full stop!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement