Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

There are three ads that really get my goat. The radio one about erectile disfunction which regularly comes on when the kids are in the room; the recent cringingly patronising one from Repak about the guy who put his wheelie bin out on a wet day .....for ffs !...and finally the awful one for Rabo Direct which features two shallow, DART accented, Celtic Tiger babes laughing about one telling the boyfriend she was pregnant when she wasn't - banal beyond belief!! Trouble is too I have no remote for the radio so have to keeping running over and switching channels - surely this can't be what the advertisers are paying for? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

dh0661 wrote: »
    I've only got one eyebrow
    I was born that way
    In the nip----

WTF this ad is the worst ad ever.:(:(:(:(

Advertising revenue for RTE must have reached a new low. But to use SH*T ads like this is the lowest form of crap ever. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yeah its actually on Newstalk as well. They really must be desperate for advertising revenue!

Anyways another one would be the Beatle's remaster ad with Dave Fanning. How can someone make one of the best bands ever sound boring?! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

PauloMN wrote: »
    Worst is Ben Dunne advertising his fitness clubs. Brutal. Good advertising nonetheless.

oh god yeah .... dreadful ads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

<stereotypical ad>

Storee bud, I nearly got done by the guards fer not havin me DOE done on the van.

yer wa??

Me DOE,

Take it dowen to that place where dey'll give you the full go over and you can have yesserself a free breakfast roll and cup of tea while you wait
    </stereotypical ad>

Is this not the most annoying ad ever :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

and finally the awful one for Rabo Direct which features two shallow, DART accented, Celtic Tiger babes laughing about one telling the boyfriend she was pregnant when she wasn't

Rock, me who-ha :confused: Oh just feck off you stupid pint.

The eircom burglar ads are also scraping the bottom of the barrel of god-awful ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone else hate those 'ironic' ads where there's a voice over guy reading something... it's yer man Simon Delaney in the latest one who starts reading the script, then stops, goes, 'Oh that's a good deal', cue bored sounding engineer/producer.. 'just read the script'.... I'm not sure if it's the same compnay who has been using the same format but there have been several variations over the past few months and now it's just a pain in the arse. Stupid and, if they're not all for the same advertiser, lazyiness by some ad agency!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I was born that way
    In the nip----

You know I thought this was gonna be an ad about racism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What about the axa ad with that old classic sat nav joke? "Take the next left" - "right" - "no left!!"

Ho ho ho. Hilarious.

Who actually says "yikes" anymore anyway?

Oh, and Ben Dunne? 2.55 for a cappuccino is NOT good value...

Mr E wrote: »
    Oh, and Ben Dunne? 2.55 for a cappuccino is NOT good value...

Yeah I thought it was a bit expensive as well. Maybe Ben uses a bit of his own Sprinkles across the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Like all children, mine can ask some REALLY tough questions….like why is that child in Africa starving??
    When I explain that it’s not that simple….I then realise that it IS!!!!!!
    Send money to a little boy in Tanzania who is called William (William???!!!)and write a letter.
    And you should just SEE the excitement when we get a letter back!

This ad gets on my t*ts.

ps
    I think Ben Dunne's point is that the coffee is too expensive as well.
    He has nothing to do with Dunne's Stores anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

That Nightline ad where some guy is told he should get a good line. He responds with “How you doin..” and she says “ cheeky”

Every time I hear that I strongly consider swerving in front of an oncoming lorry.
    Worst ad ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

I was born that way
    In the nip----

Advertising revenue for RTE must have reached a new low. But to use SH*T ads like this is the lowest form of crap ever. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

i actually like that ad, very descriptive and you can just imagine the type of person. The whole point of the ad????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Not only is he doing a new My Home.ie ad where he tries to disguise his voice, he is also doing an ad for Right Click, a computer repair shop on Camden Street, again trying to disguise his voice. But he still comes across as a total a$$hole. To any company thinking of doing an ad, please avoid Don Wycherly, he is a twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I love that ad about the evil eyebrow, ginger moustache wearing half samoan half tongalese vibrating naked man with a rash the shape of an auld ones head.

What's not to like?!

Anyway, it's brought to you by RTE and Irelands independent radio stations afailk :P

What I hate is the Murphy Gunn ad. I've never wanted to punch a child so hard in my life. Proper little annoying west brit accent on him.

Nevore wrote: »
    I love that ad about the evil eyebrow, ginger moustache wearing half samoan half tongalese vibrating naked man with a rash the shape of an auld ones head.What's not to like?!

How about the fact that they waste license payers money on an RTE advert about advertising. I think the ad is stupid and run faaaaar to often for what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Just posted the below in the Rant and Rave forum but seeing as this thread is about the best/worst radio ads I've decided to copy and paste it here:)

That Contraception Week ad that was doing the rounds on Phantom 105.2. Of course they HAD to pick some obnoxious hoor with a grotesque, UCD-style D4 accent to do the ad. "Seventeen TAAY-sand wimmin get preggers every dey!" AAAHH! it's a HORRIBLE accent!

How about the fact that they waste license payers money on an RTE advert about advertising. I think the ad is stupid and run faaaaar to often for what it is.
    It's by RTE and the Independent Radio stations of Ireland. It's on all of them, they're running it for themselves. Ever notice that the 98fm or 104 versions have a little "please contact our advert sales team at bla bla" right after the ad?
    They're running it for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

The add on Newstalk with “but remember, don’t fit under floor heating if you live in an igloo”.:mad:

I change the radio station as quick as I can when I hear that add starting. Its unbearable to listen to.

I like the evil eyebrow one though.:)

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It worked first time. After that it becomes amazingly annoying, and should be shelved.

It worked first time. After that it becomes amazingly annoying, and should be shelved.

Just heard it there again. There's a mute button on my radio, have to hit it every time. "I have only one eyebrow... now"... mute, mute, f*cking mute. Why does it have to be so long?

As was said earlier, anything voiced by Don Wycherley irritates me. Hate the b*stard and I dont even know him. Would deck him if I ever met him in the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Yes they have dragged the arce out of that ad, I switch channels as soon as it comes on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

That one that 'references' Orbital's Stopped Clock -

'It's hard to concentrate at two things at the same time'.

Instant cognitive dissonance and probably dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭spudwiser

i hate the new helmans ad that starts off with "the dolop maketh......"
    i literally scream out in pain everytime i hear it.

Aaargh, and stop saying dollop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Everybody, I'd like to introduce you to our new staff member SAGE, if you need help with HR blah blah blah.

The biggest LOB. This ad is probably one of the greatest reasons NOT to buy this software.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭canon5571

Nevore wrote: »
    I love that ad about the evil eyebrow, ginger moustache wearing half samoan half tongalese vibrating naked man with a rash the shape of an auld ones head.

What's not to like?!

Anyway, it's brought to you by RTE and Irelands independent radio stations afailk :P

What I hate is the Murphy Gunn ad. I've never wanted to punch a child so hard in my life. Proper little annoying west brit accent on him.

Ya I love the Tongalese one aswell!!
    Is the full text of the ad anywhere??

canon5571 wrote: »
    Ya I love the Tongalese one aswell!!
    Is the full text of the ad anywhere??
    Not on the interwebs. :( Google returns boards.ie for any quotes I search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Brendan O connor mace ad

/thread

Seriously how much more of a **** can this guy get? One of them basically says 'I don't like Mace because it makes me too happy and I'm notorious for being a TV hardman'

No you ****ing ****, you're known for being an obnoxious, nasty, neo-con, stupid, hypocritical tool!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

heard an ad for Harvey Norman there at the weekend about some sale on that. yer man couldnt say two words without havin to repeat them about 3 times. one of the most f*ckin infuriating ads iv ever heard. worst part was it was on during EVERY single ad break that day, nearly threw the radio out the window for a finish:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Nu-Centz

i have a soft spot for those meteor ads... "In your face Luxemburg" hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

The new Rabo Direct ad confuses me more than it annoys me. The 2 idiots talking (“Rock? Me hoo-hah” etc) aren’t customers of the bank but they’re insulting one of their boyfriends who is? Is that what it’s about? So, the ad is trying to entice customers to join the bank by insulting existing customers?

Why is she pretending to be pregnant? Does she want him to take his money out of the bank to buy her an engagement ring? How would that benefit him?

I don’t get it.

Ciaran B wrote: »
    Why is she pretending to be pregnant? Does she want him to take his money out of the bank to buy her an engagement ring? How would that benefit him?

I don’t get it.

For some reason, she was expecting to get engaged, why exactly I don't know, she sounds like the sort of person who'll never be bride. Rocky wagon and rock me who ha is just nonsense though. These aren't expressions used by any actual real person. She pretends to be pregnant to get back at him, because as we all know, there has never been a man in the history of the world that was actually happy to hear his girlfriend was pregnant. All men fear that. Presumably he murdered her the following week when she revealed it was all a joke.

Anyone hear the new Argos ad? Why, why, why, why, why, whywhywhywhywhywhywhy?

I couldn't agree more. Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ciaran B wrote: »
    The new Rabo Direct ad confuses me more than it annoys me. The 2 idiots talking (“Rock? Me hoo-hah” etc) aren’t customers of the bank but they’re insulting one of their boyfriends who is? Is that what it’s about? So, the ad is trying to entice customers to join the bank by insulting existing customers?

I don’t get it.

Yeah, annoying cnuts in an ad usually turn me off for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭icanhearjimi

that ad where yer man sings ole ole, really bad and out of tune, drives me nuts. and the ad ad for the elton john concert, must be on 30 times a day, give it up please. and any ad with that eejit simon delaney in it:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 bmw316

corks 96 fm a joke:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Dunno if it was mentioned in an earlier page but I cant stand the FAI/Italy match one thats been on NewsTalk for the past week or 2

Its the one with a suave(ish) voice saying "This is Ireland Manager Giovainni Trappationi..." and then theres an almost Star Wars Emperor/Pope JP
    voice from Trapp saying "Your country needs you"

Sounds like he's about to draw his last breath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Dunno if it was mentioned in an earlier page but I cant stand the FAI/Italy match one thats been on NewsTalk for the past week or 2

Its the one with a suave(ish) voice saying "This is Ireland Manager Giovainni Trappationi..." and then theres an almost Star Wars Emperor/Pope JP
    voice from Trapp saying "Your country needs you"

Sounds like he's about to draw his last breath!
    Does he not sound like the deceased Pope John Paul??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

robo wrote: »
    Does he not sound like the deceased Pope John Paul??

Dunno, he hasnt had a lot to say recently :P

Nah I just thouight it was a bit creepy the way they wheel him out for 1 line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

left...right...no left...what....yikes.
    Christ I really do think Irish advertising companies must recruit the crap that cant make it in the UK or US. Funny thing is , im not even sure what they are advertising :0)
    Ho hum why should anyone give a $h!t what I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Poochie05

It pains me to say it but I'm kind of enjoying the 11811 ads.
    Can't remember the exact word but the one about looking for the number 7 is good - used to be magnificent, now responsible for a number of deadly sins...
    OK maybe it's just me!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

WOW Harvey WOW

WOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Brian O'Driscoll now advertising CREDIT UNIONS FFS :eek:

Could they actually try any harder to find a celebrity voice that wouldnt even fart in a credit union,nevermind use one ! Fantasy stuff.

Know your audience FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

Wertz wrote: »
    The AXA Aviva/Hibernian soccer mom ad, "Running them to school, to their friends'...it NEVER STOPS!" and then we get the spiel about how if you're a safer driver Aviva will give you a discount...if you have no claims or no points they give you MORE discounts....eh, no you f*cking don't...in fact the last time I used your online quote system you wouldn't even quote me, despite my lack of points and 2 yrs NCB on a clean license....but wait, I'm not a woman.
    What a crock of sh*te.

This ad is still going, and still one of the top ten worst radio ads ever made.

I was born that way
    In the nip----

If I was Samoan, I'd be suing RTE over this racist ad.

I've lived in various countries in my time, but I have never come across such low quality radio ads in any other country. The scripts, mini-plots and particulalry the narration and execution is generally excruciating. And then the agencies use the same excruciatingly bad narrators again and again.

The abysmally low quality of advertising produced by ad agencies in Ireland must be a by-product of the low quality of training received by people who work in advertising in Ireland.

If only these agencies would advertise themselves, claim their own ads and invite public feedback. Surely that way the public could inform them directly of their mistakes and potentially save them from killing us all little by little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

I was born that way
    In the nip----

If I heard the ad correctly, the ginger Samoan in question promoting the effectiveness of radio advertising is played by Eamon Morrissey.

For me at least, a campaign using an actor immediately links the advertisement with the type of character I've seen that actor play in the past.

In Morrissey's case, these are : An annoying braggard in Halls Pictorial, a drunkard in The Brother, a country simpleton in Eat the peach, and most recently, a dirty, scummy, offensive compulsive liar in Fair City.

So, this choice of actor for this campaign means that :

Irish radio advertising = Slightly simple, offensive loudmouths telling lies and annoying people.

Probably not what the out-of-the-box thinking Dahlings at Beasly, Bingham and Bumhole Advertising had in mind when they originally came up with the crappy idea in the first place, but as it turns out, I reckon it sums up Irish radio advertising pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

If I heard the ad correctly, the ginger Samoan in question promoting the effectiveness of radio advertising is played by Eamon Morrissey.

For me at least, a campaign using an actor immediately links the advertisement with the type of character I've seen that actor play in the past.

In Morrissey's case, these are : An annoying braggard in Halls Pictorial, a drunkard in The Brother, a country simpleton in Eat the peach, and most recently, a dirty, scummy, offensive compulsive liar in Fair City.

So, this choice of actor for this campaign means that :

Irish radio advertising = Slightly simple, offensive loudmouths telling lies and annoying people.

Probably not what the out-of-the-box thinking Dahlings at Beasly, Bingham and Bumhole Advertising had in mind when they originally came up with the crappy idea in the first place, but as it turns out, I reckon it sums up Irish radio advertising pretty well.

It was a stupid ad - end of. There's no need to delve into the merits or not like it was a Shakespeare's play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

It was a stupid ad - end of. There's no need to delve into the merits or not like it was a Shakespeare's play.

My humblest apologies. I missed the bit of the charter that specified the exact rules and regulations regarding posting your own opinion.

(Jesus. I'm glad I didn't disagree with you about the ad's quality, I'd probably wake up to find my tyres slashed & a dead goat on my landing. )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That one that 'references' Orbital's Stopped Clock -

'It's hard to concentrate at two things at the same time'.

Instant cognitive dissonance and probably dangerous.

Strangely enough I can hear both statements in that ad perfectly at the start - possibly from 5 years of driving around on my mobile or handsfree! ;)

LOL. Very good Donna. :-)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement