Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

LOL. Very good Donna. :-)

really?

(if your post was sarcasm, I retract the question. If it wasn't....jaysus. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

we bitch at the ads in this thread people, not at each other.

never at each other.

<3

mods

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I'm just after hearing that absolutely stupid Axa add for about the third time this morning.

That stupid one with the guy and girl driving in the car on a journey using the sat nav, with something like following conversation:

Sat Nav: In the next 200 yards, turn left....
    Guy: Ok it's the next left love....
    Girl: Right
    Guy: LEFT, LEFT!
    Girl: What.

What the fcuk????? That is the most stupidest add I've ever heard. And both his and her voices wreck my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

The new Ben Dunne ad on newstalk is terrible but yet again I always notice it when it comes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

2fivers wrote: »
    really?
    (if your post was sarcasm, I retract the question. If it wasn't....jaysus. )

2BrainCells, why do you always feel you have to respond to my postings, even when they have nothing to do with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

2BrainCells, why do you always feel you have to respond to my postings, even when they have nothing to do with you?

cooler - 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

There's a terrible one for city and guilds qualifications at the moment.

2 really bad actors playing "serious" businesspeople.

Terrible terrible acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Shatner wrote: »

Oh God yeah... that's a horrendously crappy ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

That ad cracks me up. The way the ‘MD’ character says ‘get them in here’ and his ‘PA’ says ‘yes, sir. Right way’ is hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

City & Guilds, I thought that went out with Italia 90 :eek:

Doing ads like that on the radio certainly doesnt give it any credibility.

Get them in here now, YES SIR ! PMSL! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Col200sx wrote: »
    Sat Nav: In the next 200 yards, turn left....
    Guy: Ok it's the next left love....
    Girl: Right
    Guy: LEFT, LEFT!
    Girl: What.

That ad really grates my ears. What the hell has a satnav and two idiots got to do with car insurance? Presumably they crash the car when your one tries to strangle the other idiot and looses control.

The Euro 2 Halloween ad is back. You know, the one they made on a €2 budget. Awful stuff.

I put the poor quality of ads here down to the fact that most of them are TV ads originally, and they just take the audio component and play it on the radio, with little or no editing. The end result is some half-assed effort where the listener has no idea what's going on, unless they happen to have seen the TV version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 HealthyWay

Worst ad ever -

We had no electricty in my day. The Dinosaurs kept knocking over the wind turbines......

Kill me now...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Rocky wagon and rock me who ha is just nonsense though. These aren't expressions used by any actual real person

It's "where's the rock ye wagon" as in "Where's the huge engagement ring that your boyfriend (who must have had a full frontal lobotomy to even consider marrying you) bought you with his hard earned cash that would be better off in Rabo Direct, ye B*tch"

and " Rock, me whoo ha" as in "Rock, my a*se, he decided that he'd rather look after his financial future than marry an irratating D4 gold-digger"

Sorry, I'm being a total pedant, and you're right, this ad makes me want to scoop out my brain with a rusty spoon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

HealthyWay wrote: »
    Worst ad ever -

We had no electricty in my day. The Dinosaurs kept knocking over the wind turbines......

Kill me now...........

Oh god yes.

Nasty ad. Make it stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

The new Ben Dunne ad - how many times can you say bendunne.com in 30 seconds?

CHRIST

• Advertisement

BeatNikDub wrote: »

CHRIST
    More annoying than that is Ben is banging on about websites for selling etc. Hasnt dawned on him that he's missed the internet "revolution" by just the 15 years or so :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Sorry if I said this before... but I don't think so

Any ad where they go on about how they don't need a fanfare because their product is so great.

If you talk about not having a fanfare that's the same as having a f****kin fanfare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

"Euro 2 has the lot for Halloween and dead sheep!"

Ummm... excuse me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

a few ads with kids' voices doing the rounds again...not good! :confused:

BeatNikDub wrote: »

CHRIST
    Sizzler wrote: »
    More annoying than that is Ben is banging on about websites for selling etc. Hasnt dawned on him that he's missed the internet "revolution" by just the 15 years or so :o

Woops!

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/my-buy-and-sell-site-was-a--disaster-admits-dunne-as-he-pulls-the-plug-1916115.html

No more ads for this by the looks of it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

STOP advertising UB40...

CHRIST!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

There's a very annoying ad now doing the rounds. I think it's for Quinn Direct, but it features someone whistling a ditty to the backing of a guitar, à la Roger Whittaker.

It's not so much the ad itself that's annoying, but that fcuking tune really grates on my nerves! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

That new bloody pensions ad is seriously getting on my t1ts. The one with a couple "not being able to mention it" and talking in a soft apologetic voice to the other. IT'S A BLOODY PENSION YOU ARE ON ABOUT. NOT RECTAL CANCER FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Maybe mentioned already but the one for Elvery sports I think with the sports radio commentators. One of them sounds like Kevin Gildea.
    Sample dialogue:
    "Jog on Gary!" "Ooookkkaayyy, thanks for that John"

Unfunny on so many levels.

Guy: "what was the score.. "
    Girl: "Liverpool won 3-2, three goals in the last five minutes... "
    Guy: "Any who won..."
    Girl: "O'Gara scored 16 points... "

Stupid ad, a thousand sites that are more convenient to use on the Internet rather than traipsing through Aertel... And btw, Liverpool scored three goals and O'Gara scored 16 points - was the script for this written in 2008????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

There was an article in the Independent yesterday about annoying radio ads. It's a good read and ,unsurprisingly, mentions the Rabo Direct 'Rock me hoo-hah' ad in the first paragraph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Ciaran B wrote: »
    There was an article in the Independent yesterday about annoying radio ads. It's a good read and ,unsurprisingly, mentions the Rabo Direct 'Rock me hoo-hah' ad in the first paragraph.

The "author" of that article had very little research to do
    just had to log in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

The current NCBI radio ad, for whatever it is they're raising money for now, bug the hell out of me. They're so bloody patronising and irritating. I have to switch the radio off when I hear it start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Poochie05

That stupid ad for those 2 women who end up yet again at Kildare Village instead of going for a walk. Along with those countless ads that portray men as stupid, or worse, murderers when behind the wheel, etc., this one is no different in portraying women with no sense of direction and only interested in shopping for designer clothes. Can our ad agencies not come up with anything more original? Down with lazy stereotypes!:mad:

That ad for the Guinness Cork Jazz thing annoys the fk out of me...
    "Deeep, reeeal deeep." Stupid fkn thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ciano12

homah_7ft wrote: »
    It has previously been done in the TV forum. What is your favourite or least favourite radio ad? I hate all those ones that say, "It's almost six O'clock time to call ..." most of those places are closed at 6. Add to that Harvey Norman ads with particular mention for the happy birthday ones. I like the Roca Tiles ads that are on around the Vincent Browne show.

Ya defo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

vibrant wrote: »
    Oh, Newstalk106 in Dublin seem to play really awful ads. They did one that was...

"Newstalk106 in Dublin"

?

National Station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

"Newstalk106 in Dublin"

?

National Station

Yeah but when that post was written in 2005 they were probably still a Dublin station, weren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭PacManFan

That stupid ad for the aquatic centre with some eejit pretending it's a frog does my head in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭kelty

Eircom & Ben Dunne please F**k off. Every second advert on Newstalk seems to be from one of these. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Stupid Eircom ad with the muppet talking like some sort of Mystic Meg, mind control type. Irritating in the extreme.
    Whatever it is about Eircom's ad agency they're very consistent at being crap.

Agreed on that aquatic centre ad too....that woman's voice goes through my head.

Lastly the insurance ad with the satnav and the couple arguing....especially the bit where the voiceover goy says "Yo-ikes"....yikes? Oh f*ck off would you....this isn't the USA. Happen it would do all these insurance companies far better to reduce their advertising output and lower their premiums slightly, if they actually want our business...annoying ads are going to make me for one avoid your compnay like the plague, unless your rates are reasonable...

Wertz wrote: »
    Stupid Eircom ad with the muppet talking like some sort of Mystic Meg, mind control type. Irritating in the extreme.
    Whatever it is about Eircom's ad agency they're very consistent at being crap.

The Eircom ad about the old dear whose friend has moved on is rubbish as well. Eircom support are AWFUL, they are the most unhelpful and incompetent "support" I (as an IT engineer) have ever come across. This ad is disingenuous in the extreme considering how bad their support are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭icanhearjimi

That f**king ad for 11890 where yer man is speaking like Eamon deValera. Drives me mad, must be on 50 times a day
    And those ads with Ben Dunne. Can he talk any slower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Is it just me or do Newstalk have some weird ads?!

Ben Dunne must be doing stuff for Denis O Brien coz noone could afford all those ****e adds! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I've only just heard the start of this add and can't even think of the product, but know it's something to do with babies.....

But the add that starts with:

Are you bald and toothless?...
    Do you have problems with flatulance and drooling...

Cracks me up, such a funny intro to an add:D:D

Although it does remind me of one particular person I work with who has all those symptoms:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

The old database/new database ad for Data Ireland

All involved deserve a thorough beating

The old database/new database ad for Data Ireland. All involved deserve a thorough beating

As well as being the most ridiculous thing to try to sell in a recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

"BenDunne.com. It's only €1.50. If you don't like the results........don't use it anymore!"

Or alternatively, if you don't like it.....ah sure keep on using it anyhow.
    Betcha Ben wrote this ad himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

New one for D4 hotels with someone who sounds like Frank Kelly doing a really crap cowboy/western.texas accent. Very embarassing and it makes you wonder who they thik they're marketing to!

squonk wrote: »
    New one for D4 hotels with someone who sounds like Frank Kelly doing a really crap cowboy/western.texas accent. Very embarassing and it makes you wonder who they thik they're marketing to!

There's a lot of those "culchies come up to the big city" and have their yearly treat of staying in the hotel type ads alright.

That new Dara O'Briain ad for the Vintners is ridiculous. He's talking about having a pint after work.. ffs, advertising having a drink after work when most people drive to work, and the government wont even let you have one now. Such a stupid ad in the context of the latest changes to legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

That x-mas ad for Bothar really wrecks my head :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

There's a lot of those "culchies come up to the big city" and have their yearly treat of staying in the hotel type ads alright.

Mespil has to be worst offender in this. Those dreary ads with their classical music and simple country folk chatting in accents not heard since The Riordans aren't just for Christmas, you know - they seem to be on Radio 1 year flippin round now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

that tiles one with the monkeys and the nuts... is epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I have to admit a secret love of the goat on the bothar ads... :o

What's really bugging the shit out of me is the fake Xfactor ones. No idea who they're for since I switch over as soon as I hear the crap come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"Hi I'm a pseudo all American young guy and I have a banging stereo cos my car runs on Shell Extra Octane BS"

To be read in a voice not unlike this one

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement