Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

mike65 wrote: »
    "Hi I'm a pseudo all American young guy and I have a banging stereo cos my car runs on Shell Extra Octane BS"

To be read in a voice not unlike this one
    I actually thought they'd just ripped the ad from Shell US and put an Irish commentary to it.

Not sure which is worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mike65 wrote: »
    "Hi I'm a pseudo all American young guy and I have a banging stereo cos my car runs on Shell Extra Octane BS"

To be read in a voice not unlike this one

I've not heard the Shell one, but there's an absolutely crap Texaco one on the same lines. Some American tool going on about how much he's spent on his car and his sound system.

Garmin are back, new ad, same tune, same sh*te. How is it possible that they can take a terrible ad, modify it 3 years in a row, and each time make it worse than the one that went before it? That takes a special kind of whatever it is these people are. I guess it can't be long until the Barrys tea, train set muck, is back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh thats the same ad! (I thought Texaco had pulled out of Ireland, clearly out of touch)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭JoeFitz89

Newstalk bad ads yes but there really is worse..anyone ever heard tipp mid west - the ads are really terrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

jor el wrote: »
    Barrys tea, train set

Best ad ever IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The ad for Kildare Village likening it to New York. It's Kildare ffs. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

dh0661 wrote: »
    Best ad ever IMO

Please please tell me this hasn't started again.

I swear to God, if Lyons storm all radio stations and delete every single copy of this ad I will never drink another cup of Barrys again

Slidey wrote: »
    Please please tell me this hasn't started again.

Best ad ever IMO :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Marty Whelan saying "Every Lidl Helps"......listen next time!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Has no-one's mentioned that awful Irish Life with Mary ringing for Mr Donnelly.. and she chats to a child, then a "man-child" and then an old man about a pension.

Irritating as f*ck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

basquille wrote: »
    Has no-one's mentioned that awful Irish Life with Mary ringing for Mr Donnelly.. and she chats to a child, then a "man-child" and then an old man about a pension.

Irritating as f*ck!

Hate that fkn ad as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

That x-mas ad for Bothar really wrecks my head :(

"Are we there yet? Are we there yet"

SHUT UP YOU STUPID ****ER, THEY'RE GOING TO SACRIFICE YOU !

Almost makes me want to change my avatar ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 noiseannoys

baalthor wrote: »
    ", THEY'RE GOING TO SACRIFICE YOU !
    Sorry to introduce a pedantic note into this debate (voiceover by the normally brilliant Mikel Murfi) but the fine work Bothar do involves sending out livestock which will breed and supply milk. The calves and kid goats go to other families. The livestock is NOT sacrificed which'd be a bit shortsighted :]

Maybe some ad makers etc could be sarificed
    instead if it's blood your after:D??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Maybe some ad makers etc could be sarificed
    instead if it's blood your after:D??

Where can I donate to that worthy cause? :pac:

Nothing really getting on my nerves currently...except maybe the current swathe of manafacturer sponsored ads for leading consumer brands featuring sudden "price drops", that have that little addendum tacked on to the end: something along the lines of "Recommended retail prices are set by the manafacturer and may not reflect the prices charged by retailers" sung in a "Terms&Conditions apply" voice...
    In other words, those big bad companies that overcharged for years suddenly can't sell their goods and have lowered their supply price...so if the stuff is still too dear then it's the supermarket's fault not theirs...

"Our items might still be expensive, but it's not our fault so run out and buy them anyway."
    Sod off tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

D.I.D. Christmas version with singing 9, 9, 9, to the air of Jingle Bells, truly awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

:mad: Oh God, the Garmin ads are back! :mad:

They changed them a bit, but they're as annoying as ever. I will never buy a Garmin product and I will discourage everyone I know from buying one. I hope Google's free GPS app puts them out of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

D.I.D. Christmas version with singing 9, 9, 9, to the air of Jingle Bells, truly awful.

Terrible.... the muppet shouting Noooiiiiinnnnneeeee!! every couple of seconds doesn't help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

Irritating as f*ck!

Does anyone else think that the young lad is called Johnnie, but it sounds like he actually says.. 'Hi, this is Joannie'? Very annoying ad alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

mobius42 wrote: »
    :mad: Oh God, the Garmin ads are back! :mad:

They changed them a bit, but they're as annoying as ever. I will never buy a Garmin product and I will discourage everyone I know from buying one. I hope Google's free GPS app puts them out of business.

Give it a rest Garmin. These ads are so irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

The most and I mean most annoying ad at the moment is the one where the two parents are breaking their sh1te laughing over cuddly toys or action figures!!! ; this has to be the worst one ever. :mad::mad:

mobius42 wrote: »
    They changed them a bit, but they're as annoying as ever.

How is it even possible, to use different "singers", different words, but to the same tune, and still make each one worse than the one that went before it? Find a new ad, you idiots.
    Best ad ever IMO :)

It's an ad for tea bags.
    Has no-one's mentioned that awful Irish Life with Mary ringing for Mr Donnelly

Worse is the one with the child that can't pronounce her Ls, so it's all gwanny and gwandad, aw, how cute. Why is it she has no problem pronouncing Irish Life then? Surely it should be Irish Wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

jor el wrote: »
    Worse is the one with the child that can't pronounce her Ls, so it's all gwanny and gwandad, aw, how cute. Why is it she has no problem pronouncing Irish Life then? Surely it should be Irish Wife?

I've never seen them spelt glanny and glandad.

Actually, I'd very worried at anyone called glandad.

swingking wrote: »
    The most and I mean most annoying ad at the moment is the one where the two parents are breaking their sh1te laughing over cuddly toys or action figures!!! ; this has to be the worst one ever. :mad::mad:

Totally agree with you here, +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Shane Byrnes men over 40 health check up.....I can see his mullet shaking as he shouts his lines into the mic.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The Korkys shoes one. Oh Ehm Gee, Shoes! Jesus, give me an icepick and access to her face, please?

• Advertisement

I've never seen them spelt glanny and glandad.

Actually, I'd very worried at anyone called glandad.

Ah, the red mist made me mix up the R in Irish with the L in Life. Iwish Life it is then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Azelfafage

The amount of posh put-on English accents used on RTE Radio 1 advertisments is comical.

It is a Dublin 4 inferiority complex.

(The French would never use German accents on their radio ads.)

You RARELY hear regional Irish accents on RTE Radio 1 advertisments..Miley is on today I know.

That the Irish have to ape the English means the English culturally trounced the Irish.

When I hear,over and over again, the inane and stupid words:

"RTE Supporting the Arts" .....................

I switch to BBC Radio 4.

God save us from arts idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

"Sure doesn't everyone want a goat?!"

Awful! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

I see the Vienetta ad is back, the one with the scottish couple screaming to each other about ice cubes. They just sound like a right abrasive pair of **** who have no other food in the house besides ice cubes and ice cream. I don't know anyway why they couldn't use Irish actors for this even if they kept the stupid script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Blakkenamber

How about that new medical product they are advertising on radio -I think it is called methathone but is sound like they are advertising methadone ( the heroin substitute that addicts are given). How could they get the product name so wrong?
    also O'Briens,the wine merchants,have an ad for an italian wine with a voice over by a barely understandable italian- and it appears he mentions the word ECOLI.....not good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Death to Garmin.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Another turd of an add that's on lately, is the Vienetta add, with the couple putting on Scottish accents when looking for the ice cubes.

The wife asking where the ice cubes are, and the hubby saying:

Look under the Mint Vienettas, beside the Vanilla Vienettas, they'll be bout there.

Ughghgghhghghghgh

Bertie and Louie, the X factor twins <face palm>

Sweet Jebus, what nonsense is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭MaltHouse Mouse

What about the current ad for Stellar Magazine... It is muck!! It is as if the VO artist (I use the term lightly) was playing with helium before the script was read. Her voice would make you want to hit the radio with a baseball bat.

Pure and utter dirt that would make your ear's bleed.

Fcuk Today FM, just heard that Bothar 'Goat' ad twice in the one ad break!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

squonk wrote: »
    I see the Vienetta ad is back, the one with the scottish couple screaming to each other about ice cubes. They just sound like a right abrasive pair of **** who have no other food in the house besides ice cubes and ice cream. I don't know anyway why they couldn't use Irish actors for this even if they kept the stupid script.

100% agree with you on that one, i have actually started turning the station when i hear that add...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

D4 hotels. The single worst accent I have ever heard on an ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

How about that new medical product they are advertising on radio -I think it is called methathone but is sound like they are advertising methadone ( the heroin substitute that addicts are given). How could they get the product name so wrong?

Yeah! I heard that and thought exactly the same!

Reminds me of a mate of mine who used to walk past a methadone clinic in Dublin on his way to work every morning. He said he was always careful walking past people there, in case he'd cause them to drop their little cup, because it wasn't like knocking someone's pint in the pub... "Ah sorry bud! Here, let me buy you another one..." :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TakeMyNameDown

Azelfafage wrote: »
    You RARELY hear regional Irish accents on RTE Radio 1 advertisments..Miley is on today I know.

Or when the culchies are going up to the big smoke and stay in the Mespil hotel. Their ads make me want to claw my ears off and feed them to the dog.

There is also a place in hell for that Chewbacca munching monkey felcher Jim from eircom support!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 buzz123

Sharon ni Bheolain.

What the hell is introduchin, protechin, contradichin, compunchin and any other bloody word with ction or tion at the end of it? it's drivin' me mental!:mad::confused: I can't watch her any more and if she clicks or sucks or whatever the milf does when the camera goes back on her I'll jump, seriously, I'll jump!!

• Advertisement

Or when the culchies are going up to the big smoke and stay in the Mespil hotel. Their ads make me want to claw my ears off and feed them to the dog. There is also a place in hell for that Chewbacca munching monkey felcher Jim from eircom support!

Agree on both accounts. That ad where somebody rings to thank Eircom on behalf of all of their customers really gets to me. :mad: I work for myself as an IT consultant, and part of my work involves dealing with Eircom. So on behalf of my customers, who have had to reorder bband packages that Eircom forgot about, who have received ISDN routers instead of broadband routers, who have spent hours dealing with your retarded support agents, have had lines falling over on them that Eircom have blamed on customer site issues when the problem turned out to be an Eircom issue ... on behalf of all of these people I would like to tell Gaylord Jim and Eircom to F**K OFF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

What a pain in the arse that add with George Hook and Brent Pope talking about the new food recipies website from famous restaurants around Ireland.

And George Hook continuously referring to him as "Poopie", I can't get the idea out of my head that he's referring too him as a turd all the time.

Stupid add:rolleyes:

I hate those bloody Kia ads with that Northern eejit bantering with yer wan "an excellent choice Madam".

First of all, why do Kia have such stupid names for their cars: "Seed" (yes, I know it's "cee'd" or some stupid rubbish like that, but all I hear is someone trying to sell a car called a "Seed" :rolleyes:); and the other one "Sporty Wagon". I mean "Sportwagen" has a nice Teutonic VW or Audi feel to it, but "Sporty Wagon"? For some reason, the extra vowel just makes the name sound, like, retarded.

And second of all, when did Northerners suddenly become jaunty, cheeky-chappie eejits? Back in the good old days, there was a nice air of threat about the Ulster accent. You could just hear them phoning in bomb warnings: "Ya haav fiev monnuts tee get oyt! There's a boamb under yer fokkin' Kia Seed". Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the peace process, but if I was from north of the border, I wouldn't be too impressed that advertisers were lobotomising and emasculating my fellow Ulstermen in order to sell Korean cars!

I dont give a fk if I get lost every day of my life, I will NEVER buy any product from Garmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

fricatus wrote: »
    I hate those bloody Kia ads with that Northern eejit bantering with yer wan "an excellent choice Madam".

First of all, why do Kia have such stupid names for their cars: "Seed" (yes, I know it's "cee'd" or some stupid rubbish like that, but all I hear is someone trying to sell a car called a "Seed" :rolleyes:); and the other one "Sporty Wagon". I mean "Sportwagen" has a nice Teutonic VW or Audi feel to it, but "Sporty Wagon"? For some reason, the extra vowel just makes the name sound, like, retarded.

And second of all, when did Northerners suddenly become jaunty, cheeky-chappie eejits? Back in the good old days, there was a nice air of threat about the Ulster accent. You could just hear them phoning in bomb warnings: "Ya haav fiev monnuts tee get oyt! There's a boamb under yer fokkin' Kia Seed". Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the peace process, but if I was from north of the border, I wouldn't be too impressed that advertisers were lobotomising and emasculating my fellow Ulstermen in order to sell Korean cars!

+1 for the Kia ad - why do these ads with normal conversations sound like no conversation you would ever hear in real life. As for the Cheery Northener type I think you can blame James Naisbitt for that.

greendom wrote: »
    As for the Cheery Northener type I think you can blame James Naisbitt for that.

That's exactly where it started! Well spotted! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Frizzaldo

"They're behind the vienettas!........."

Grrr, this has to be my new least favourite radio add.

Moany scottish people whining about Vienettas is never going to make me want to buy Vienettas and normally makes me switch station.

My other least favourites would be the Guinness adds, either the "I am a"..."Well Bred orse", "Oyster" or "Trumpet with Soul" campaigns or the guy who tells you about the "shound" of a can opening.

The new texaco adds with the american cab driver or car tuner are pretty bad too.

there are some really terrible radio adds out there...surprisingly i don't mind the Harvey Norman adds.

what are your least favourites??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

The Tesco ad having a swipe back at Dunnes is class. Dunno if its been on air long but I only heard it yesterday.

The regular Dunnes one would go on about "whatever item .. Dunnes price €1.89, Tesco price €1.99 ... The difference is, We're Irish"

Then yesterday I heard the Tesco version ... "whatever item .. Tesco price €1.89, Dunnes price €1.99 ... The difference is, We're Cheaper"

Speaking of James Nesbitt, the unibrowed Kathryn Thomas lookalike, he is on TV talking about a 'nipple under the mistletoe' in some horrible tv ad.

Back on topic, radio ads that are bugging me, Meteor carol singing ads, please stop! Plus some other ad that features musical doorbells, why do they think they are funny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

the new texaco with texron ad.

dear lord, goes something like this with some sort of faux american accent:"ive spent 10 grand on my car including my sound system yet the best thing money can buy is texaco fuel with texron-its a SOUND investment!"

my god, i havent heard it too much yet but my brother is ready to kill someone after it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement