Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

One of the worst offenders on the airwaves at the moment.

NRC have previous: remember the "some of their drivers are kinda cute" nonsense?

"there I was standing in de lashings of de rain....."

Get my baseball bat please....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Clooney Fan

There's a really annoying one at the moment, where the guy keeps saying 999.
    It's for kitchens I think. Very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

I have'nt read all 124 pages of this thread, so this is probably in there somewhere, but the worst of the worst has to be

National Radio Cabs on Newstalk:mad:

Must be effective advertiising though because I have no problems remembering their names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

In the latest Tesco ad Marty Whealan tells us about half price 'White Watchers' ready meals. They obviously didn't even bother to correct him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

That woulndt be anything new with Marty Tesco must pay him well

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Rachel Allen for O'Briens sandwiches.

I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than hear that f**king ridiculous accent again.

And as for the "nutty professor" masterpiece for Brennan's bread... there's no beating severe enough for those responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Good stuff barneygumble

That rachel Allen With her Accent is enough not to buy obriens sandwiches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

There are 2 that are really irritating me at the moment. The first is the Hyundai scrappage deal ad where they've decided to go down the American route by being loud, obnoxious and repetitive. Now I am in no way inferring Americans are such, but their TV and radio ads are. The second one is for Friends First which basically is 30 seconds of *cough sniffle wheeze cough groan splutter cough*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

There's one for some software that helps you do your end of year tax forms that drives me mad.

Done, dusted, finished, fin-e-to.

**gunshots**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 amylouise88

Man: Where are you going
    Woman: The Lowe Alpine sale
    Man: you can't
    Woman; why not
    Man; not in THOSE PANTS
    Woman; Just watch me

The Lowe Alpine sale - discounts so good they will make you come in your pants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Woman; why not
    Man; not in THOSE PANTS
    Woman; Just watch me

I haven't heard that one. Sounds great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

omg.. what?!
    that's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Woman; why not
    Man; not in THOSE PANTS
    Woman; Just watch me

I have not heard this either - but LOL. I wonder if it got pulled after one or two airings?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Any one unable to make out what the kids in the ad are saying over the African style music?
    Am I turning into my father who considers everything noise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

local ads are the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Would somebody PLEEEAAASSSSEEE teach Don Wycherley to speak properly and not sound like he has half a ham and cheese sandwich in his mouth when he is doing voice overs.... thank you..

Oh, and I still want to punch the head off GayEircom Jim. I mean that ad about the woman who apparently only has fifteen seconds or something to spend on to phone support.. anyone who has actually rang the REAL Eircom support (not to be confused with the fictional competent Eircom support depicted in the ad) knows that you will be waiting on hold, which is charged to you, for anywhere between two and five minutes at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Or how about:
    "In for the night...????, then curl up with a good book or a great movie. But how will I know what books or movies are great you cry????".
    I hate this Ba*terd.

And those continuing TV licence ads.
    " Oh I meant to get one but I had to collect my aunt from the airport and she only has one arm... and she has two bags.
    We've heard all the excuses and none of them work"
    Well we've heard all the ads and none of THEM work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

EBS ads before the weather, voiced by yer wan from Fair City, really starting to get on my wick as well.. Hit the mute button every time it comes on.

Any one unable to make out what the kids in the ad are saying over the African style music?

Try adjusting your hearing aid :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

There's a brilliant series of ads on my favourite station here in Finland, Radio Rock. They're in Finnish but start singing well-known rock songs something like these....

Run to the hills

Dad I can't sleep

Would somebody PLEEEAAASSSSEEE teach Don Wycherley to speak properly and not sound like he has half a ham and cheese sandwich in his mouth when he is doing voice overs.... thank you..

He's been at that for a while now. It's like he's trying to come across as an agreeable old codger for some bizarre reason. As opposed to the tw*t he really sounds like.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

that sh*tehawk auld fella who does the Bord Na Mona ads - used to do them for MyHome.ie and SuperValu I think.

Stupid, stupid voice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

That add they have lately about the inspiring team talks being played to the rugby team before the games in Croker sucks.

Yer mans team talk is sh1te, never mind inspiring in the add. He just sounds like a proper twat

The ad for the Bagel Factory with the insanely cheerful bubblehead who seems to think she has discovered the meaning of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm beginning to imagine that the "creative" type that came up the Kildare Village ads is someone in his 70's, to who the idea of America is still exotic and something we aspire to culturally. How else could you explain the hopelessly out of place American voice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Dunno about anyone else, but I hate the Alpro Soya ad. I couldn't even tell for days what this ad was about, because all I could hear was some silly "world music" African-type chanting, and some kid with an English accent wittering on.

First of all, it's a pointless ad: I had to listen and concentrate to know it was for Alpro Soya; and secondly, the fact that they use an English kid is annoying - not because I hate the English, or any of this "800 years" rubbish, but I don't think anyone in Ireland really identifies with the accent of an English kid. Also, it says to me that Alpro don't see Ireland as a separate market from "the rest of the UK" :rolleyes: if they don't do a localised ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

Just in case any of ye are interested, here's the shortlist for the radio advertising awards 2010....

http://www.radio-awards.net/shortlist.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Any of Airtricitys high-pitched nonsense

fricatus wrote: »
    I had to listen and concentrate to know it was for Alpro Soya;

Maybe a simple adjustment of a hearing aid would have saved you all that hard work.:rolleyes:

IMO it's one of the better ads aired ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Those adds for the sports travel agent (can't remember their name), where the psuedo American accent screams sh1te down the radio about Liverpool and Man U. Why is an American accent relevant to sell English football to Irish people?

My blood boils when I hear it:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ChairmanMeeow

ksimpson wrote: »
    Those adds for the sports travel agent (can't remember their name), where the psuedo American accent screams sh1te down the radio about Liverpool and Man U. Why is an American accent relevant to sell English football to Irish people?

I believe that is Morrothon spoorts? (I added the extras letters to empasise its annoyance:pac:)

blah blah blah blah CAR -
    blah blah blah blah TRAFFIC JAM
    blah blah blah blah MOTOR BIKE
    blah blah blah blah HELICOPTER blah blah blah blah

WTF:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

ksimpson wrote: »

Yeah the same anchor is currently on saying "well, we had QUITE A YEAR, last year boiz" "But we've another six nations to prepare for".
    I wonder if this guy is REALLY from Brooklyn, and you're right...WTF does an American accent got to do with an Irish sports travel company.
    Really gets on my tits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Kildare Shopping Village....this one in a fake American accent...what's that all about:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

bilko1234 wrote: »
    Yeah the same anchor is currently on saying "well, we had QUITE A YEAR, last year boiz" "But we've another six nations to prepare for".
    I wonder if this guy is REALLY from Brooklyn, and you're right...WTF does an American accent got to do with an Irish sports travel company.
    Really gets on my tits.

he's supposed to be Al Pacino in "any given sunday".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

tbh wrote: »
    he's supposed to be Al Pacino in "any given sunday".

That's no excuse. It still gets on my titz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

vibrant wrote: »
    They played it to death a few weeks ago, so much so that they played it 4 times in one hour!

Could be worse, in China they play the exact same ad several times in a row.
    Both on the radio and on TV
    It got so bad that a couple of years ago they passed a law stating that you could play the same ad no more than three times in a row.

Three times in a row.

Seriously.

Imagine the most annoying, whiny, obnoxious ads you hear in Dublin radio, all the ads here are like that.

Good thing their programs are even worse so I've got no interest to watch crappy Chinese TV in the first place.
    But the missus watches the tv and I hear the radio in cabs so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

whoa....op was 5 years ago...nevermind

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Wardrobe elegance
    Wardrobe elegance
    <something something something>
    Made in Navan with a 10 year guaranteeeeeeeeee.

Weapons grade levels of annoying. If you can’t hit the note don’t go for the note.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Whenever i hear it, it sounds like shes saying War Droballigans or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

dh0661 wrote: »
    Try adjusting your hearing aid :rolleyes:
    Dunno about anyone else, but I hate the Alpro Soya ad. I couldn't even tell for days what this ad was about, because all I could hear was some silly "world music" African-type chanting, and some kid with an English accent wittering on.

First of all, it's a pointless ad: I had to listen and concentrate to know it was for Alpro Soya; and secondly, the fact that they use an English kid is annoying - not because I hate the English, or any of this "800 years" rubbish, but I don't think anyone in Ireland really identifies with the accent of an English kid. Also, it says to me that Alpro don't see Ireland as a separate market from "the rest of the UK" :rolleyes: if they don't do a localised ad.
    Maybe a simple adjustment of a hearing aid would have saved you all that hard work.:rolleyes:

IMO it's one of the better ads aired ATM.

Hehe, looks like a pattern emerging there, dh0661... so are you the kid in the ad, the African singer, or the copywriter? Come on, admit it! :D

Young people today, they think the hearing-aid defence and a rolleyes is all they need to post on Boards. In my day, it was different!

Now where did I leave my walking stick? I'm forever forgetting where I put things...

Seat ad, heard it on i105-107 once, haven't heard it since.

Basically a rip of the Fsck you Deputy Stagg, Fsck you! event, was great though, had us roaring laughing in the car on the way to work. All bleeped out of course, but nothing like being told to buy a !"£$ing Seat Ibiza, first thing in the morning.

Now where did I leave my walking stick?

Hey - your gone way past a walking stick, remember you use a zimmer frame now ;)
    Now! - can you left your zimmer frame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I heard a new one this morning, so awful I can't remember what it was for, but something to do with ninjas and had this woman attempting what I assume was a Japanese accent but ended up sounding Jamaican, a Jamaican Ninja ?!?

• Advertisement

Jip wrote: »
    I heard a new one this morning, so awful I can't remember what it was for, but something to do with ninjas and had this woman attempting what I assume was a Japanese accent but ended up sounding Jamaican, a Jamaican Ninja ?!?

YEA 11890 "ninja directory enquiry", I can only assume it was someone on work experience came up with this one and it slipped through the net :rolleyes:

YEA 11890 "ninja directory enquiry", I can only assume it was someone on work experience came up with this one and it slipped through the net :rolleyes:

I'm sick of those 11890 ads. They play one almost every day on Morning Ireland at 8:15.

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm sick of those 11890 ads. They play one almost every day on Morning Ireland at 8:15.

@ 8:15, that sounds like a radio alarm call, LOL I'd be sick also :rolleyes:

Is that Tom Dunne's voice on the new TSB ad ? --- please don't tell me there is some other guy that sounds like that :eek:

123.IE and pretty much any of the stupid voice over "actor" one's. Don't mind someone talking on the ad, but why the need to put on a silly voice?
    Same fella that does some of the ads also does the "Twwoooo Effff Emmmmmmmmmmmm" things, the new ones, not the old ones (the old ones sounded like John Clarke tbh?)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement