Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

I think you're right about the TSB ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Radio Ad for Irish Life, came back recently, really winds me up.

Some brat Kid answers the phone and the Irish Life Rep asks for Mr Donnelly, the brat says yes, this is Jamie speaking.

No, no, no - since when did kids answer to the prefix 'Mr'. His Father is clearly in earshot of this conversation, why wouldn't he answer the phone.

Ad continues in similar vain for next 30 seconds, gets no better.

Annoying accents too. Hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

dh0661 wrote: »
    YEA 11890 "ninja directory enquiry", I can only assume it was someone on work experience came up with this one and it slipped through the net :rolleyes:

Oh yeah
    Think it goes something like,
    "It's meeee...Miss 90.....Telephone enquiry....11890....!"
    See...it rhymes and all
    Who says these guy's don't earn their money?
    I rang up 11890 immediately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Singin Im no a Billy, Hes a Tim

NNoooooooooooooooooooo

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

What about that stupid new Magum caramel ice cream add.

Layers of caramel and chocolate, with Madigascan ice cream:rolleyes:

Oh it's Madigascan ice cream, jaysus now I really want some of it.

Since when has Madigascar become famous for their ice cream.

Terrible terrible add

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

The ads that were on for elevery sports, advertising Cantebury sports wear.
    theres this cocky english cnut saying the following:

"Even the name sounds majestic and expensive. Like LordCantebury of the Round Table. But not at Elvery Sports!"

@_@ <--I literally make that face evey time I hear this ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Kids singing "Row Row Row your Boat", voices thin out during the ad, ending with a single kid finishing the song.

"While you've been listening to this ad, 6 more children have died"

Is it implied that the 6 kids were the ones who were singing the song?
    Has the ad company hired a sniper to kill the kids one at a time while they're singing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This car has a 7 year warranty?
    I can't believe it has a 7 year warranty.
    Does this other car also have a 7 year warranty?
    Yes, it has a 7 year warranty!
    A 7 year warranty?
    Yes, a 7 year warranty.

We f**king get it. Just stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Col200sx wrote: »
    What about that stupid new Magum caramel ice cream add.

Layers of caramel and chocolate, with Madigascan ice cream:rolleyes:

Oh it's Madigascan ice cream, jaysus now I really want some of it.

Since when has Madigascar become famous for their ice cream.

Terrible terrible add
    Madagascar is famous for it's vanilla. I guess that's what they're getting at. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

D4 Hotels "fight" one makes me want to find the script writer and do horrible, horrible things to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

I wish Dara O'Brien would ever fcuk off with his ads for "Dublin Pubs".
    Does he not earn enough money from his comedy without inflicting this patronising guff on us...?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

I dunno. I like them.
    The only problem is that they're repeating the old ones. They should make new ones :pac:

I like his ones, the ones by wimmin just aren't funny. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mr E wrote: »
    This car has a 7 year warranty?
    I can't believe it has a 7 year warranty.
    Does this other car also have a 7 year warranty?
    Yes, it has a 7 year warranty!
    A 7 year warranty?
    Yes, a 7 year warranty.

We f**king get it. Just stop.

This and the ad for a concert for a certain ex-Beatle. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

This and the ad for a concert for a certain ex-Beatle. :mad:

"A once in a life-time opportunity" - assuming you were born after the gig in December, and will die shortly before he comes back again next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

bilko1234 wrote: »
    Oh yeah
    Think it goes something like,
    "It's meeee...Miss 90.....Telephone enquiry....11890....!"
    See...it rhymes and all
    Who says these guy's don't earn their money?
    I rang up 11890 immediately!

me too! I'm now legally prohibited from calling them again :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

SkidMark wrote: »
    Some brat Kid answers the phone and the Irish Life Rep asks for Mr Donnelly, the brat says yes, this is Jamie speaking.

Oh God ya. "This is Mary from Irish Life". She is soooooooo cheery, smug and full of the joys of life. My big white hairy arse she is.

No one, anywhere, in the entire history of mankind has ever rang (or been rung back by) a call centre and had the phone monkey at the other end speak to them in a smug soothing voice like that. And certainly not after she has had to endure 3 generations of the same gimpy family pi$$ing her about until they finally wheel grandad in, turn up his hearing aid, pop in the false teeth and let her give him her speel.

What a crock. And what sort of kid refers to themselves as "Mr"????

Stoopid stoopid advert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

the one where your man is trying to come up with an excuse for the heinous crime of not making 'the big switch' and the subsequent "ah you've set off the cheque is in the post now"

and as for that Coco Pops one where the kids are singing about breakfast...not what you want to hear at any time of day, especially first thing in the bloody morning

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Missy86

SkidMark wrote: »

No, no, no - since when did kids answer to the prefix 'Mr'. His Father is clearly in earshot of this conversation, why wouldn't he answer the phone.

Ad continues in similar vain for next 30 seconds, gets no better.

Annoying accents too. Hate it.

I absolutely detest this ad, I turn the volume down on the radio until its finished. Their voices go through my head!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

There is an ad for, I think Permenent TSB, and after the main bit of the ad there is what feels like 5 minutes of fast paced terms and conditions. Like "Permanent TSB is regulated by the financial regulator, subject to changes in interest, no animals were harmed during the making of this ad, investments may depreciate, we are an equal oppertunities employer ect etc etc. And then at the end of all that it goes Terms and conditions apply.

You think, could they not just say terms and conditions apply and leave out all the other stuff. The add feels like it last for about 3 minutes. Its maybe only 45 seconds but feels like to drags on. So annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Kids singing "Row Row Row your Boat", voices thin out during the ad, ending with a single kid finishing the song.

Has the ad company hired a sniper to kill the kids one at a time while they're singing?

I actually LOL'ed.

Row row row your boat gently down the stream(Multiple voices)
    BOOM! Headshot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Does he not earn enough money from his comedy without inflicting this patronising guff on us...?

I like his ads, the latest one with the French verb is funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I wish Dara O'Brien would ever fcuk off with his ads for "Dublin Pubs". Does he not earn enough money from his comedy without inflicting this patronising guff on us...?

this really pisses me off. "These pints are at a completely different pace".. I'd say the pace would fairly change again if you hit a checkpoint on the way home. Ad flies in the face of most drink driving ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Reminds me of that (possibly apocryphal) story about Bono on stage at Live8, where he says "while I've been talking, another five children have died in Africa", and some wag shouts up "well then stop talking, ya tosser!"

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Those ads have an air of real desperation about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

this really pisses me off. "These pints are at a completely different pace".. I'd say the pace would fairly change again if you hit a checkpoint on the way home. Ad flies in the face of most drink driving ads.

Why are you assuming the ad is either encouraging drink driving or assuming that people who go to a Dublin pub will drive home ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That'll learn 'em to sing better next time!

Coco Pops - High School Musical edition. Someone needs to take them out one by one. Or better again, all at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I heard Daft Dave on spin South West today :eek: - please don't tell me that it's part of a new national relaunch of that <snip> --- <snip> --- <snip>

OK OK OK - rubbish

I've heard the Daft Dave one recently again but only on the regionals/non-Dublin locals so far. Means most of the posters here are likely to be spared it!

Originally Posted by Mr E View PostKids singing "Row Row Row your Boat", voices thin out during the ad, ending with a single kid finishing the song. "While you've been listening to this ad, 6 more children have died"

I would torpedo the boat if I had the chance.. The WORST of the guilt inducing ads, ... there should be a law against this similar to the blackmail legislation.. irony in the fact that they have paid a media company (from donated money) to produce this "advertisement". Maybe only four of the kids would have died if they hadnt paid a PR company?

• Advertisement

Jip wrote: »
    Why are you assuming the ad is either encouraging drink driving or assuming that people who go to a Dublin pub will drive home ?

Ah Jip.......I dont hear any reference to "not drinking and driving". What are the statistics on people who drive to work as to those who dont? Do you not think it's at least contradictory to the "drink responsibly", when they say "go for a few pints after work".. (paraphrased, of course)

MYOB wrote: »
    I've heard the Daft Dave one recently again but only on the regionals/non-Dublin locals so far. Means most of the posters here are likely to be spared it!
    Heard it on either 98 or 104

Nevore wrote: »
    Heard it on either 98 or 104

Noooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, that stupid add, I think it's for Coco Pops, with all the kids singing:

I'm not a morning person

In between anoter kid singing about being late in the morning.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Those ads have an air of real desperation about them.

They leave me really hacked off. Every time I'm tempted to think DoB is a good comedian, I remember those Dublin Pubs ads. They're not bad, I'm just disgusted that he would lend his vocal talents (and, who knows, perhaps his writing skills) to safeguarding the interests of that vulnerable sector of society, embattled publicans. Give us a break, Daire...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Noggy2006 wrote: »
    I absolutely detest this ad, I turn the volume down on the radio until its finished. Their voices go through my head!!!!

Just heard an even more cringeworthy new one.
    Kid phones Bronagh in Irish Life to talk about cake??
    Apparently IL find nuisance calls amusing ... "Hello Bronagh
    ... are you wearing underwear ... ?"

Deirde O'Kane.. most annoying woman in history. Hated her before the ad, hate her almost as much as Wycherley now.

Deirde O'Kane.. most annoying woman in history. Hated her before the ad

Is that in reference to the Cost Cutter ad? - or maybe I've got the wrong woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Is that in reference to the Cost Cutter ad? - or maybe I've got the wrong woman.

Jesus that ad is unbearable.

unbearable is a little bit too nice IMO

• Advertisement

unbearable is a little bit too nice IMO

Yeah that's the one Donna. I thought everybody knew her distinctively off putting voice at this stage. Her and her idiot property "tycoon" sister who was telling us all that the housing prices had peaked at the end of 2008.

Here's Deirdre being particularly unfunny (as usual).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Yep, the Deirdre O Kane Costcutter one...'nothings too good for my Matthew'...jebus,she has a voice like a chainsaw....:rolleyes:

Yeah that's the one Donna. I thought everybody knew her distinctively off putting voice at this stage.

@ voices and faces I'm very good - names I am a disaster.

What ads do the Wycherley voice tell me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Yep, the Deirdre O Kane Costcutter one...'nothings too good for my Matthew'...jebus,she has a voice like a chainsaw....:rolleyes:
    Horrible, she couldn't crack Hollywood, now she can barely crack D4...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 Blackjackdavey

Listening to Ben Dunne struggle to finish a sentence about one of his gyms without plowing a quarterpounder with cheese down his throat. While challenging his competitors to, basically what sounds like a scrap, all the time while wheezing like a smoker who's run a marathon. All makes for the worst series of radio ads known to man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

find that new add for permanent tsb where a child accidentally rings up and explains to the receptionist that they are eating cake with cake on top , to be pretty annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

YEA 11890 "ninja directory enquiry", I can only assume it was someone on work experience came up with this one and it slipped through the net :rolleyes:

I knew I'd find this somewhere in the thread. My blood boils when I hear this ad.:mad:

I don't get it. Is it meant to be funny or deliberately racist or what? you can find ninjas in the directory? am i stupid or something? whats the joke?

i would love to know what out japanese visitors make of this and they must hear it cos its on the whole time, with that stupid voice, wrecking my head. maybe the japanese have "leprachaun directory inquiries"?? Because it makes SO MUCH SENSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

irishh_bob wrote: »
    find that new add for permanent tsb where a child accidentally rings up and explains to the receptionist that they are eating cake with cake on top , to be pretty annoying

Christ, while I'm on here...another inane ad. Maybe these trendy marketing ad people are too clever for me and know what theyre doing with their clever subliminal messages.

"I like cake" = "must...bank...with...Permanent...TSB" Ah, I get it now. Will be contacting my bank manager in the morning....Morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Harvey norman go harvey go ... Over and over again annoying.
    +1 for the
    Costcutter ad its been on for ages hasnt changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

Love the no-nonsense.ie car insurance ads!

"Gentle ben but not so gentle cavan bear attacks"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement