Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

I'll be back to ye about Champion Butter, hi!; ye, barbarians.

But then you'ld need the soul of a poet to get it, and I don't think you have it. Ah well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

That polo mint ad where your man is sucking it. My friend and i were driving and she freaked out when ad came on because she thought it was one of those drink driving ads where brain damaged survivors talk about how they wish they didn't speed. I think that ad for polos is so awful and kinda does sound like they mock special needs people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Slightly outside the box here but I never liked that 'Come Together' advert for 2fm, and now it's fallen out of date twice. I hope they don't try to edit it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The HB Wibbly Wobbly - weird facts ad with the poxy German accent

Loop de Loop, not Wibbly Wobbly Wonder. Desperate crap ad still.
    Poochie05 wrote: »
    The new Polo mints ads - just heard these this morning, not 1 but 2 in an ad break! I'm already despairing that this is just the start of that campaign :(

Just heard that there now. Dear god, that slow guy is just terrible. Anything that involves bodily noises (snoring, eating, drinking, coughing, sneezing, etc) should be banned from the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

The Irish version of the Rowntree's Randoms ad. The bogger mechanic talking about cupcakes etc. That is so embarrassingly crap. :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

This thread is absolutely hilarious, love the witty comments :D

An annoying ad for me at the moment is some office bird asking her colleagues about an accounting course, speculating that her colleague "must be angling for a spot on the senior team"

Cue D4 stereotype and "howye" stereotype dissing the idea of doing further education, leaving the steadfast, responsible young woman to tiredly say "Thanks for the input guys......"

Maybe it's just me but I dislike all ads which try to recreate an office atmosphere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Lots of businesses now advertise their products by stating where they are located in relation to Dublin. With all the new motorways they use taglines such as "now only an hour and a half from Dublin on the M6" etc.

I couldn't give a toss how far anywhere is from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Been a while since I posted on this...loads that have escaped over the months, but one that sticks with me is that horribly accented lady with the screechy voice impediment, that does the airtircity voiceovers (her "husband" is no better)...between her on one side and loosey Kennedy on the other, I decided to stick with ESB even if they charge 14% more...

Oh and btw Eircom Phonewatch...yes there may be a recession on but I still doubt that middle class burglars actually exist on this little island...how about some more genuine voiceovers from people that vaguely sound like they might rob you...might lend some credibility to your ad campaign.

Garmin ad, the new one with the postcode thing....again the accent on yer wan giving the nasally directions past the red car at mrs murphy's house....god just STFU. Beats the crap out of their christmas ads though.

Last one...those damn budweiser ads with the shivering choir doing beach boys or whatever...headwrecking and too clever for it's own good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

the concern ad for the pakistan floods are getting a bit annoying now. i know they need to appeal for money but at this stage everyone knows about the floods there and they could change the ad, its a bit old now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

neris wrote: »
    the concern ad for the pakistan floods are getting a bit annoying now. i know they need to appeal for money but at this stage everyone knows about the floods there and they could change the ad, its a bit old now.
    Slightly OT, but Concern have more money in the bank than they could possibly know what to do with and dont spend it but they still advertise for their €40 donation :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

The new Polo ads, with the bloke "sucking" on the mint totally freaks me out, it's such a disgusting sound.

Get em off the air:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Mr Magners wrote: »
    The new Polo ads, with the bloke "sucking" on the mint totally freaks me out, it's such a disgusting sound.

Get em off the air:mad:

+1.

yuck, it's foul.

It has to be the wardrobe elegance ad with the girl who can't sing.

Although I heard I'm no a Billy, he's a Tim is back.

God help us all for the foreseeable future. :(

Lapin wrote: »
    It has to be the wardrobe elegance ad with the girl who can't sing.

That one is amazingly bad...I thought it was only airing on local radio, haven't heard it on national stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

One of the series of unfunny ads for Permanent TSB.

"Teach your kids independence early, really early."

Be still, my splitting sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Wertz wrote: »
    Oh and btw Eircom Phonewatch...yes there may be a recession on but I still doubt that middle class burglars actually exist on this little island...how about some more genuine voiceovers from people that vaguely sound like they might rob you...might lend some credibility to your ad campaign.

They used to use burgalars with Dublin accents, but someone complained and now they can't anymore... ha ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

That girl singing the Wardrobe Elegance ad hasnt got a fupn note in her head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

That girl singing the Wardrobe Elegance ad hasnt got a fupn note in her head.

I'd heard it early one morning, and thought it was a Gift Grub p*ss take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

the new ads for the tom dunne show on newstalk in sept are wrecking my head. that idiot joe acting as a teacher and giving out.

and that wardrobe ones a pain in the head aswell. wish theyd remove that ad its been on so long. because of that ad id be off to sliderobes

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

I'd heard it early one morning, and thought it was a Gift Grub p*ss take.

a truly terrible add that has me switching over the second she starts "singing" :(

is it supposed to sound Christmassy? or what’s the idea of the "jingle bells" like backing track? woeful effort...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PostHack

The new Garmin one is driving me bonkers. "New sat navs from Garmin with LLLLLLLLLLLocate Post Codes".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

a truly terrible add that has me switching over the second she starts "singing" :(

is it supposed to sound Christmassy? or what’s the idea of the "jingle bells" like backing track? woeful effort...

The boss of Wardrobe Elegance has done a testimonial for Newstalk, so maybe the four-times-an-hour bombardment of their infernal jingle is his gratuity

Or what about "They come from the four corners of the globe"... die Bradfield dieeeeeeeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

"Grrrrrrrreatness awaits at the Newbridge Museum of style icons".

half-hearted line delivery by Gaybo, and utterly patronising guff from a sycophant.

"Beep-Beep.ie" - don't pay the voicover actor to say it twice, just repeat it the second time even though it sounds weird.

The new Supermacs ad is so amateurish. One of the worst I've heard.

Anyway, their "food" is disgusting too.. I tried it last time I was down the country. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The Charlie Haughey ad for 11890 directory enquiries is class. I think what really does it for me is the sound of the chill wind howling in the background!

The only way they could have done it better is if they had Dermot Morgan do Charlie, but some things aren't possible - even with "technology"! :D

Completely agree on teh CJ ad...better than the usual kung fu fighting nonsesne.

Just came in to say I hate the child in the Dairygold advert...."Is it just me or is that weird?" I hate the accent and I hate the vocal inflection...then they round it off with that damn music from the todayFM jingle.
    Horrible.

el diablo wrote: »

Anyway, their "food" is disgusting too.. I tried it last time I was down the country. :D

I think I heard the one, it uses the old Supermacs jingle from their ads in the 80s and 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

YOU BOUGHT A NEW MOBILE - is that the same ear shattering voice that does the cost cutter ad - and your man in the same ad sounds like a total muppet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Good or bad, these are some of the radio ads I still remember:

"Radio Nova, the weekend's just begun, Radio Nova Europe's No.1" (that was sung)

What in particular do you like about this station? Sexy John! (anybody remember that from Radio Nova? John O Hara was the dj)

"Northside! Northside! - the great, great shopping centre!" (sung, as we all know)

"Countin' them down from coast to coast with Casey Kasem!" (Radio Nova or Sunshine 101 or Energy 103) (every Saturday)

"Rick Dees Amerrrrican Muuuusic Maagaazine" (same station as above; he came after Casey Kasem)

and "Rick Dees Weeeeekly Top 40!"(every Saturday)

• Advertisement

God I would love to thump the head off Eircom Jim.. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I love that current Irish Times advert for the GAA, mentioning all 32 counties (going with the tune of Beethoven's 9th Symphony). It was on RTÉ Radio 1 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Rebelheart wrote: »
    "Northside! Northside! - the great, great shopping centre!" (sung, as we all know)

Reminds me of an old colleague from Woodies DIY who did an off the cuff impression one day: "Northside! Northside! Full of f*cking knackers!" (Sung to the same tune)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I guess when your used to eating dirty nappies and sanitary pads from Abrekababra potatoes taste odd.:D

I guess when your used to eating dirty nappies and sanitary pads from Abrekababra potatoes taste odd.:D

Not sure what that means. :rolleyes:

Rebelheart wrote: »
    I love that current Irish Times advert for the GAA, mentioning all 32 counties (going with the tune of Beethoven's 9th Symphony). It was on RTÉ Radio 1 today.

+1

This is a great ad.

A sh!t stirring little remark if ever there was one.

I see you are from Dublin 1. There is a Supermac's there too.

Are you suggesting the the quality of the food in that branch is somewhat better than their restaurants outside Dublin?

Or perhaps you are one of those Dubs who really haven't a clue how to find their way around their own city. And there are many.

Not sure what that means. :rolleyes:

I'm suggesting when after a night out you and your Dublin 1 buddies wander into your favourite chippy, Abrekebabra, instead of a cod and chips you get a nappie in batter or a sanitary pad for a kebab.

A sh!t stirring little remark if ever there was one.

I see you are from Dublin 1. There is a Supermac's there too.

Are you suggesting the the quality of the food in that branch is somewhat better than their restaurants outside Dublin.

Or perhaps you are one of those Dubs who really haven't a clue how to find their way around own city. And there are many.
    I'm suggesting when after a night out you and your Dublin 1 buddies wander into your favourite chippy, Abrekebabra, instead of a cod and chips you get a nappie in batter or a sanitary pad for a kebab.

Wow, touchy. :rolleyes: I've only ever tried Supermacs once (Galway) and I won't be going back. I think there's one on O'Connell St. but I've never been. I rarely eat in Abrakebabra but I'd certainly choose it over "taysty and tempting" Supermacs each time. I've never been served nappies or sanitary pads in there. Not sure what that's all about.

Anyway, this thread is about Radio ads so we should probably get back on topic.

• Advertisement

Wow, touchy. :rolleyes: I've only ever tried Supermacs once (Galway) and I won't be going back. I think there's one on O'Connell St. but I've never been. I rarely eat in Abrakebabra but I'd certainly choose it over "taysty and tempting" Supermacs each time. I've never been served nappies or sanitary pads in there. Not sure what that's all about.

Anyway, this thread is about Radio ads so we should probably get back on topic.

I was just having a laugh bud. You need to get a bit less sensitive. I guess you Jackeens are all metrosexual now.

Abrekebabra has a bit of a poor reputation regards quality.

Supermacs is a culchie thing. A true blue dub like yourself wouldn't get it I guess.

Lets get back on topic.

I must say I hate those ads for Brennan's Bread.
    That ould codger with the thick inner city Dublin accent always reminds me of the alco that used to sit on a bench facing the kiddies playground in Mountjoy Square.

Today's bread today - MY AR$€.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Lets get back on topic.

I must say I hate those ads for Brennan's Bread.
    That ould codger with the thick inner city Dublin accent always reminds me of the alco that used to sit on a bench facing the kiddies playground in Mountjoy Square.

Today's bread today - MY AR$€.

Watch it all the way to the end, it's completely worth it! :pac:

I was just having a laugh bud. You need to get a bit less sensitive. I guess you Jackeens are all metrosexual now.

We're all metrosexual in Dublin because there's no demand for Supermacs here? Not the brightest spark, are you? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Supermacs and Abrakebabra are equally sh1te.

I really don't like the directory enquiries ad with the guy impersonating Charlie Haughey. I just don't think it works but others seem to disagree.

We're all metrosexual in Dublin because there's no demand for Supermacs here? Not the brightest spark, are you? :confused:

Yeah thats it Sherlock, spot on.;)

Anyway moving away from el bambino. If I ever hear that ad for "I'm no a billy, he's a tim" again, I'll eat a taco roll from Abrekababra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The TV licence ones are absolutely awful :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

God I would love to thump the head off Eircom Jim.. :mad:

+1 he is the anti-christ.

The most annoying ad at the moment is the McDonalds breakfast menu one with the 2 office workers. She has to do the 200 slide presentation by lunchtime - "SCORE". If she worked in my office, she'd be long dead by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

never do I want to hear the words 'ABSOLUTE FRINGE' on my bloody radio again

^

I still don't know what that ad was for...
    No don't tell me, I don't really care.

Absolute cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

One ad that makes me change the station (and there hasn't really been one like that for a while) is the one for some management training course or something like that. A woman asks her male colleagues about a course. One guy says he hasn't been near a classroom for years, the next guy says he likes to rely on his natural leadership ability, etc.

F**king painful.

The other ad is one of the McDonalds breakfast ad. The 200-slide-presentation-by-lunchtime-"SCORE" one has already been mentioned, but what about the two women talking about their cars? One had her car clamped outside her own house, the other didn't have a car any more because she'd left the keys in the ignition. Moral of the story: Women are stupid? ** I'm sure that's not the message that McDonalds want to put across, but that's my interpretation of the ad.

** Disclaimer: Women aren't stupid, just marketing execs who come up with this drivel.

The final one is the Lotto one (what would you do to win the lotto). "Score the winning goal in the World Cup Final (really long pause) for France (really long pause) against Ireland (really long pause) in Croke Park (really long pause) on St. Patricks Day. Truly awful stuff.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement