Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

"Do you remember when you weren't all such losers and you had real friends? Get off the computer, stop your Twitting and your Facetubing and go to a Dublin Pub™, geek. James Joyce would be proud of you."

No pal, the reason pubs are empty is because no one wants to pay €5.50 for a pint. But by all means, keep insulting your customer base, that'll bring them back in droves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Oh god, here we go; The CHRISTMAS favourite, Hampers & Roses is back. Which unfortunately for us means 3 months of the f#@%ing ad with the two idiots giving out to each other.

All lottery ads can go to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rainbowz

Bard the first voice is an impersonation of former Taoiseach Charles Haughey.
    Second voice is an impersonation of Eamon de Valera
    The ad makes sense from that point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

rainbowz wrote: »
    Bard the first voice is an impersonation of former Taoiseach Charles Haughey.
    Second voice is an impersonation of Eamon de Valera
    The ad makes sense from that point of view.

I didn't think the first voice was that obvious,- never copped that it was supposed to be Haughey at all, clearly wasn't THAT good... and the second voice (deV) only comes in to say that no former Taoiseach's were harmed (bit late if you hadn't copped the first voice was Haughey). So yeah... my 'FAIL' stands :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Bard wrote: »
    So yeah... my 'FAIL'

"We are paying (living) beyond our means."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

(bit late if you hadn't copped the first voice was Haughey). So yeah... my 'FAIL' stands :P

I'd have to disagree Bard... I think the fail is on your part... The voice is quite clearly an impression of CJH, and a pretty good one imo, and if that was not enough the "has done the state some service" bit is from Haughey's final speech as he resigned as Taoiseach (it's a quote from Shakespeare's Othello, I think)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I agree with Bard on this one.

Its a bloody awful ad.

Having said that, at least the Irish News of the World won't be able to use
    the slogan about no former Taoiseach being harmed....

Their current tv campaign with Bertie in the cupboard has shown him up as a
    complete tosser. The man obviously doesn't understand the meaning of dignity.

At least any slim hope he had of running for president is now dead and buried.

Lapin wrote: »
    I agree with Bard on this one. Its a bloody awful ad.

Oh I agree it's an awful ad, not half as bad as the first series of ads with "Dev" however, think it's voiced by those lads that did that show The Emergency on Newstalk...

think it's voiced by those lads that did that show The Emergency on Newstalk...

Oh Christ I remember those trailers for it on Newstalk now.
    I'd forgotten about them.

I knew that (awful) Dev impersonator sounded familiar.
    I think you're right there.

All the more surprising then that the 11890 people would hire the people behind such a failure to promote their product. The Emergency was widely slated as being one of the most un-funny things ever transmitted over the airwaves.

So much so that Newstalk quietly brushed it under the carpet and it has never been mentioned since.

And rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Spar I think. Two birds talking about saving a ton by staying in. Not shopping in spar you won't!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I didn't think the first voice was that obvious,- never copped that it was supposed to be Haughey at al

When I heard that ad, I actually thought it was Haughey, but thought it couldn't possibly be him because; why would anyone use him on an ad for saving money. Unless the point of the ad is that they're saying one thing (we'll save you money), while doing the exact opposite (charging you an absolute fortune), CJ Haughey style. That's one hell of an own goal for 11890 then.

Someone needs to tell Brother that an A3 page is twice the size of an A4 page too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

That Dev impersonator sounds Pakistani...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

I noticed this morning that the Supermac's add now refers to their "multinational rivals" as opposed to their "foreign rivals".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Old Mr Brennan, yet again.

When is he going to die. He could at least do us all a favour and retire, says he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Little Steps dot EU ad...the ad itself gets on my wick, but not as much as the fact that services are being cut across the HSE, and yet they still find funding for these crappy focus group-lead campaigns and the money to promote them.
    The breast feeding network ad is similar....how did mothers ever manage to feed their kids in the days before radio, internet and professionally (!) managed health services...

"There you go, a 'what's in your fridge omlette' and it didnt cost us a penny"

How does he work that one out... :confused: Is he keeping chickens in the fridge??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

How does he work that one out... :confused: Is he keeping chickens in the fridge??

A wind-up fridge and cooker as well I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Siejiang

there's a financial support ads on sunshine 106.8 begins with a woman screaming like, "ahhhhhhh.......debts, debts........."
    that 'ahhhhhhh....' HURTS me! especially when I set that channel for my radio alarm clock in the morning, so quite a few times I woke up in a woman's screaming.......:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Those ads for the marathon sports travel agents on newstalk really annoy me. The drawl off the fella nearly puts you asleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

I'm sure its been done to death on this thread but the Wardrobe Elegance ads are back on Newstalk. Gawd Love her but the singer is brutal, totally flat. and the song itself is awful too.

For a while last year they had that and "8-20-20" going back to back all day, nearly drove me mad and ended up with me changing the station a lot as well.

made in Navan with a 10 year...............guaranteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

neris wrote: »
    Those ads for the marathon sports travel agents on newstalk really annoy me. The drawl off the fella nearly puts you asleep

Yep, the chap advertising "twips to the Teeter of Dweams" in a Cavan accent. I fooking hate that ad. :(

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

just heard a new one on nestalk for unislim doing a really s**t "youre fired" impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

el diablo wrote: »
    Yep, the chap advertising "twips to the Teeter(?)of Dweams" in a Cavan accent. I fooking hate that ad. :(

Sounds to me more like the uvular 'r' of old Awdee, Co Loud.

delaad wrote: »
    Sounds to me more like the uvular 'r' of old Awdee, Co Loud.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

Don't know if it's been mentioned but the ad for the RTE player where the girl says she can't make it to a wedding cause she'll be missing the Late Late Show and "Tubs has really pulled it out of the bag" (as if that will ever happen). The guy responds by saying she can watch it on the RTE player and besides, it's their wedding. I mean, please..... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

"we are Morgan McKinley"

No. You're a firm of recruitment consultants, and therefore the lowest form of human life

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

The latest insert for Crown Paints on Newstalk goes something along the lines of "It's not just paint, it's personal".

No it's not. It's just paint.

The muppets who come up with this kind of meaningless drivel should be treated to a week of Dr Marvin Monroe's electric shock therapy. Every time one of them comes out with one of these "catchphrases", let there be 50,000 volts of the good stuff for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad:

I just heard a Christmas add for Ikea on the radio, full with the Christmas carol 'Tis the season' with their own words.

For fcuk sake it's only October 8th :mad:

Col200sx wrote: »

I just heard a Christmas add for Ikea on the radio, full with the Christmas carol 'Tis the season' with their own words.

i saw selection boxes in tesco in mid september and fake trees in woodies in august. what ever happended to halloween??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

The one for Optilase, where the woman keeps singing Optilaaaase in a soft and soothing voice - soooo annoying and it's on every ad break on Radio Nova.

WTF is it with singing ads these days. One today now for quit smoking and some gobchite singing about about how he gave up cigs.

I saw Coca Cola Christmas signage in a local Spar today. Hadn't been put up yet but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Does anyone remember the ad on RTE from the early 90s for the Jim Fitzpatrick Celtic theme park in Tramore, Waterford. It had a voice-over in a sort of fake Doug McClure accent that went: "Come to Celtworld where legend lives."

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The muppets who come up with this kind of meaningless drivel should be treated to a week of Dr Marvin Monroe's electric shock therapy.

LOL :D

I remember that one - brilliant early Simpsons episode:

DZZZZTTTT!!! AAAAHHHHH!!! Bart!!! Stop electrocuting your sister!!! DZZZZTTTT!!! AAAAHHHHH!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Does anyone remember the ad on RTE from the early 90s for the Jim Fitzpatrick Celtic theme park in Tramore, Waterford. It had a voice-over in a sort of fake Doug McClure accent that went: "Come to Celtworld where legend lives."

God, you're going back a while! I'd say there are posters on here who weren't even born when Celtworld opened. Indeed, I'd say there are posters on here who weren't even born when Celtworld closed!

I walked by there on Sunday. The place is completely gone - just a load of rolled rubble now. It was great when they changed it into that Quasar-type laser-gun place.

• Advertisement

have just heared this ad and never mind the date its a hidious ad with hidious lyrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

How does he work that one out... :confused:

It's one of those "quango" ads - they all live in fantasy land.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Surprised no one's hit on the New Ireland "day-by-day" ads. Yesterday's was "Friday-tastic". Sounds like it is voiced by Batman(Yates)'s Robin.

Does this ad appeal to anyone?

For me, it's so self-effacing, it's beyond embarrassment.

Horrible ad for some RTÉ production CD/book (?) from a Drivetime insert piece "diary" where the diarist in question uses the word "like" in a witty, repetitive fashion.
    Shut the hell up like.

Wertz wrote: »
    Horrible ad for some RTÉ production CD/book (?) from a Drivetime insert piece "diary" where the diarist in question uses the word "like" in a witty, repetitive fashion. Shut the hell up like.

Joseph O'Connor... cant stand the man, no idea why he is soooo lauded by RTE and why they give him sooo much air time..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The ad for Supermacs where the owner tries to guilt everyone into eating his Irish overpriced burgers over Burger King and McDonalds

"Hello, I'm Pat McDonagh, as you know Supermacs was founded in 1978"

Eh, hang on a minute Pat. Who on this planet knows when Supermacs was founded except your family? Was this nugget of information added to the Junior Cert syllabus recently?

Anything I know about 1978 I learned from Reeling in the years, and your chip shop didn't make the edit.

That ad put me off Supermacs for, well, maybe a few months or so. Take that Pat!

SkidMark wrote: »
    The ad for Supermacs where the owner tries to guilt everyone into eating his Irish overpriced burgers over Burger King and McDonalds

Eh, hang on a minute Pat. Who on this planet knows when Supermacs was founded except your family? Was this nugget of information added to the Junior Cert syllabus recently?

Anything I know about 1978 I learned from Reeling in the years, and your chip shop didn't make the edit.

That ad put me off Supermacs for, well, maybe a few months or so. Take that Pat!

When you hear the ad for the second time you'll know that Smacs was founded in 1978 because you heard the ad before. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

SkidMark wrote: »

I certainly have to agree with you here. Definitely one ofthe worst ads on Irish radio at the moment. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

It was mentioned already on this thread but that stupid smoking ad, the one with the guy singing... awful, hasnt got a note in his head, must have got singing lessons from yer wan from Wardrobe Elegance..

"Self assessed income taxpayers...the deadline for pay and file is coming up fast etc."

Where the hell did they get this marble mouthed woman from? Bad enough having to hand over a few grand to have it squandered in some form or other without having this toff preaching about fast approaching deadlines, penalties and audits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

It was mentioned already on this thread but that stupid smoking ad, the one with the guy singing... awful, hasnt got a note in his head, must have got singing lessons from yer wan from Wardrobe Elegance..

...needn't cost a piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiile

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Mummy, are we famous?
    What, pet?
    Are you and Daddy famous and am I a popstar?
    No, precious. Why do you ask angel-cake?
    Why do we get free movies and free curious George?

**A million radios get smashed into pieces**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Your actors are fooling anyone Canada life.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

That ad for eggs or The Egg Council is pretty weird. The guy looks in his fridge and sees eggs, onions, potatoes and cheese but says his fridge is empty. What was he expecting to find? Then the guy comes in and makes him an omelette which he claims didn’t cost him a cent. Who paid for all the food in the fridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Its bad enough we have AA Roadwotch on with the news, now there's some fakey ones with even more pretentious accents on some ad. Serious fail in morkeshing deportment there goys, I dont even know what the product and/or service is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement