Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    That ad for eggs or The Egg Council is pretty weird.

I posted about this ad already... But it's been played and played and played.. how much of the Government's money did The Egg Council WASTE on repeating this ridiculous advertisement. And idiot number 2 in the ad sounds like he needs a Locket more than he needs an egg...... once again, a ridiculous waste of money for an add that doesnt make any sense..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It was mentioned already on this thread but that stupid smoking ad, the one with the guy singing.....

Everytime I hear that ad I reach for my cigarettes and light one up.

I find I'm smoking a lot more since they started airing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 soul.less wonder

it seems that your one with the lisp who used to be in fair city is back doing some add for pensions where she puts on a bad cork accent and then reverts to her normal accent for the 'regulated by the financial regulator etc' bit at the end.whats the point of that?

man her voice really annoys me. she was all over the radio a couple of years ago. why would you employ someone with a speech impediment to do a voiceover????!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Any ad for a company that sells windows are now becoming a pain the backside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Zurich life ad...."I asked my broow-caar"

That Cork accent could be used to drill teeth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

That Joseph O'Connor ad. You'd never tire of smacking that man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sky Plus ad, is that John Goodman? Very strange, I have no idea what's going on. The wife character's voice is incredibly annoying though.

jor el wrote: »
    Sky Plus ad, is that John Goodman? Very strange, I have no idea what's going on. The wife character's voice is incredibly annoying though.

It is John Goodman.. The wife is Holly Hunter.. .. it's a bizarre concept..

The wan with the American accent on the ad for Kildare village, - they obviously think we associate the "Sex in the City" twang with style; - cant they find an Irish female to advertise an Irish shopping centre?:confused:
    And that really annoying woman who tells us we should be saving for our funeral expenses and providing for our "loved ones" once we hit 50!!

• Advertisement

those new sky ads are really annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

inthehat wrote: »
    The wan with the American accent on the ad for Kildare village, - they obviously think we associate the "Sex in the City" twang with style; - cant they find an Irish female to advertise an Irish shopping centre?:confused:

On here before that she (cannot remember her name) is Irish - with the most annoying false twang.

Total switch over ad. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

There's a new ad out for "de Dubalin pub".

I swear it seems to go on for about 5 mins and makes me want to smash my head off a wall !

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

The way the fella talks in the pub ad, you'd swear he was a tumor or some sort of genetic disorder:
    "I've been withye all your life - i've been with your father and his father..."

Some taxi company has a one using the names of dublin suburbs to tell a stupid story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

The Lyons tea, putting the talk back into tea ads. God they're terrible

• Advertisement

Eurokebabra, Abrasaver menu... shut up! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

I kept hearing an annoying ad for a company that buys gold last week. Anyone know what it was? The guys voice drove me crazy. Especially the way he said details at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Oh my ears :mad:

That add with the guy singing a song about giving up smoking.

The one that ends with:

"When I saw my GP, it was the end of the old smoker me"

Shut up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Col200sx wrote: »
    Oh my ears :mad:

That add with the guy singing a song about giving up smoking.

The one that ends with:

"When I saw my GP, it was the end of the old smoker me"

Shut up :rolleyes:

Catastrophic disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭Patser

I know this is far from the worst thing about this ad, and is probably just pedantic, but during the ad for the Millionaire Raffle, which is back on again, when they say

'And the Millionaire found and saved a rare species of native butterfly, while scuba-diving with his Nobel-prize winning, Supermodel Missus of his 100 foor yacht'

I find myslef shouting, "No wonder it's F***ing rare, if they're finding Butterflies while Scuba Diving! It's probably just a plaice!!!!" :mad:

It's amazing what 1 million can buy you now according to this ad - holidays for everyone, yachts, mail order Russian Supermodel, Prize winning Wife

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

neris wrote: »
    those new sky ads are really annoying

Tell me about it, and its sad that Holly Hunter has fallen on such hard times.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

It is John Goodman.. The wife is Holly Hunter.. .. it's a bizarre concept..

+1
    why is it so mumbled?? i cant hear out whats going on....terrible add..

Patser wrote: »
    I know this is far from the worst thing about this ad, and is probably just pedantic, but during the ad for the Millionaire Raffle, which is back on again, when they say

'And the Millionaire found and saved a rare species of native butterfly, while scuba-diving with his Nobel-prize winning, Supermodel Missus of his 100 foor yacht'

I find myslef shouting, "No wonder it's F***ing rare, if they're finding Butterflies while Scuba Diving! It's probably just a plaice!!!!" :mad:

It's amazing what 1 million can buy you now according to this ad - holidays for everyone, yachts, mail order Russian Supermodel, Prize winning Wife

well 1 million would defo not get you anything near a 100ft yacht. The voice of your 1 on that ad sounds like the thick red neck paddy mammy whos just in from milking the cows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Not so much "bad", but just irks me;

The Hearing Aid/Hard of hearing aid on Radio 1.

A hearing aid ad...on the radio.

A HEARING AID ad...on the RADIO.

Lapin wrote: »
    Everytime I hear that ad I reach for my cigarettes and light one up.I find I'm smoking a lot more since they started airing it!

A friend of mine said exactly the same thing.. Ad drives me, a non smoker, to distraction.... sounds like a cross between Joseph O'Connor and John Murray "singing" it..

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

This morning,I heard what possibly is the WORST ad I've heard in ages.

It's Des Bishop,and his equally annoying mother plugging tickets for his forthcoming,unfunny,they usually show.

STOP THIS AD NOW BEFORE I HAVE A FALLING DOWN MOMENT...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

My Top 3 are:

3rd) Brennans Bread ad (de butter and de jam) its that Sidney James like chuckly at the end that really does my F%^&ing head in.:mad:
    2nd) the female VO for TG4 Suil Eile (or somefink) she does other ads but all delivered in a dead pan accent, annoying as FcuK !!!! :mad::mad:
    1st) Dublin Pubs (the new one) I cant even express my distaste for this as my blood pressure will go thru the roof :mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

National Radio Cabs. National? I don't think so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

tommytee wrote: »
    1st) Dublin Pubs (the new one) I cant even express my distaste for this as my blood pressure will go thru the roof :mad::mad::mad:
    This one is interesting. Why do they pay to have this add on a National radio station - Newstalk. I know people in Dublin hear it anyway but seeing as the majority of people in Ireland live outside Dublin it would seem to be a silly waste of money:confused:

Beeker wrote: »
    National Radio Cabs. National? I don't think so.

Yeah, and the way they harp on about how punctual they are !
    Try calling them to say you need a cab from Salthill into Eyre Square in 10 minutes and see if they turn up on time :D

"National" my arsé :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The Persil ad with the annoying children is really starting to grate now. Every single ad break on Today FM has it. Radio goes off now every time I hear it.

that repak ad with fergal quinn thanking us for recycling does my head in. he sounds like a patronising old fart who thinks hes above everyone else in society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

that repak ad with fergal quinn thanking us for recycling does my head in. he sounds like a patronising old fart who thinks hes above everyone else in society

Could agree more. what a patronising old man he really is

All of those government / quango related ads really annoy me because of the money they spend... For example, the one telling people how to use a roundabout, or telling you to be "a bright spark" and use an electrician to do your electrical work (as opposed to a chippy I presume), the Little Steps ad which tells you that apparently if you feed your chav kids chips and dont give them exercise they will get fat... I'm just waiting for the ad that tells you that if you dont put one foot in front of the other you will fall over, (from the Irish Walking Society no doubt)...

But those two ads, both from the RSA I think, about safe driving are sooo counter productive...

Advert 1: Voice says "It's hard to concentrate on two things at the same time"... While two voices speak to you at the same time but out of synch.. Personally the first time I heard this I found it completely disorienting, and thought there was somebody else in the car speaking to me... Which could have caused me to crash...

Advert 2: Latest one, with a guy yawning on the ad, telling you to pull over if you're tired... Him yawning, of course will encourage you to yawn and distract you from your own driving....

Are the people who create these ads completely r*tarded... All paid for by the state of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

"Imagine staying in a castle on the Sky Road..."

...imagine paying a professional actor to voice-over your ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

But those two ads, both from the RSA I think, about safe driving are sooo counter productive...
    Are the people who create these ads completely r*tarded... All paid for by the state of course...
    Is it just me, or does anyone else see the conflict of interest regarding Gay Byrne employed both by RTE and the RSA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭buzzwell

Your actors are fooling anyone Canada life.

Does anyone actually believe that these are CL "employees"?

The production values, professional sound quality, and accentless voices lead me to suspect that they are not real employees.

Whether they are or not, the very fact that there is speculation that the ad is untruthful does nothing useful for a company's image.

A badly thought out campaign in my opinion.

You know the one, nice handy little tips on how to save yourself a few bob, like getting your DVDs online (not in your local shops), finding yourself in financial difficulties?, well there are agencies to help you like MABS.

It's just soooo helpful and patronizing.

I think its from Irish Life!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong

Is that actually the voice of Jack Charlton in those annoying Airtricity ads or is it an actor?

The Geordie accent in the ad sounds overly put on.

• Advertisement

All bank ads REALLY annoy me as their portrayal of themselves is always disingenuous and laughable... But particularly the AIB ads...

"If you have a viable business, contact us.... "

AIB, if ye own business that I viable, why did you need billions from the taxpayers????

Lapin wrote: »
    Is that actually the voice of Jack Charlton in those annoying Airtricity ads or is it an actor?

The Geordie accent in the ad sounds overly put on.

Sounds like Big Jack to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

WTF :mad: WTF :mad: WTF :mad: WTF :mad:WTF :mad: WTF :mad:

AGGHHH, that McCains ad on Radio, with those annoying kids, ' she got more chips than me" SHUT THE fC^K UP and let me inform you Mr. VO man, McCain chips are NOT part of my family, never will be and never were, I am a food snob so take your processed tripe elsewhere.
    and stop saying that overused verbage 'its all good' Its all $hite more like!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I hate the i love shopping dot eye ee one. Can't place your ones accent but its not Irish

Edited for clarity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

That f**king RSA ad for truck and bus drivers.

Everytime that b**tard yawns he sets me off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Speaking of the RSA, will someone tell them that its Tread Depth (not Thread Depth). THERE IS NO "H" !!!!!

• Advertisement

That F---ing camel, cow and goat ad for bothar. I wish theyd send the tapes of that ad to africa along with the poxy goat and camel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

That F---ing camel and goat ad for bothar. I wish theyd send the tapes of that ad to africa along with the poxy goat and camel.
    Not as bad as the one they had on last year. "Are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet?" and "sure everyone loves a goat". :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

el diablo wrote: »
    Not as bad as the one they had on last year. "Are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet?" and "sure everyone loves a goat". :rolleyes:

Bad news. It's back!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Bad news. It's back!

Man I hate these ads,but the one that is driving me to the edge of insanity,is the return of the Garman ads.................NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Ah man that stupid bird singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" in that stupid accent, for the Nissan Juke I think?

The way she sings it makes me want to punch the radio :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement