Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

That 11890 ad with "Eddie Hobbs" makes me put my fist through the radio..

You must have one hell of a sturdy radio, (not to mention a sore fist.) :D

But seriously, I always wonder what foreign tourists visiting Ireland must think of us when they hear the words - "Hobbs Law States" in that piercing nauseating accent.

I live in fear that one of them will ask me to explain what it means someday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

murpho999 wrote: »
    Have people heard the latest ads for Sunday World and Sunday Tribune?

Find both ads highly offensive as attempts to make money out of a tragedt before the victim is even buried!

Agreed, it is disgusting and the Tribune in particular should be ashamed of themselves as I wouldnt expect anything less from the scumbags at the Sunday World.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

telekon wrote: »
    Agreed, it is disgusting and the Tribune in particular should be ashamed of themselves as I wouldnt expect anything less from the scumbags at the Sunday World.

gutter journalism from 2 rags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tip for companies who advertise on the radio: If you have to spell your f**king website, then your marketing fails. It costs less than €10 to register an alternative domain that doesn't make you sound like a muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Can someone please tell the fella from the Supervalu ads that the word is "offer" and not "awfur"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

That 'Brennans bread' advert makes me want to machine gun the effing radio 'says he' :mad:

I can't stand it, I really hate it with a vengence, quick, change station, quick, quick . . .

And inhale :)

theres another ad for that charleville cheese and their poxy town meetings. stupid bint has a dozy sounding voice speaking muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

squonk wrote: »
    Nova have some awful ads. Most annoying is ome vacuous D4 bint yammering on about how she got her baps augmented in some clinic and about how their after op care was 'like, reee-aaa-llyyyy amazing!'. Talk about the Celtic Tiger being alive and well in these people's minds. There'd be medical grounds in some cases for reduction procedures. Sickening!

Yeah, I honestly think the worst part of Nova is the terrible ads. I hate how they try to make women who get their boobs enlarged sound like victims.

I also don't mind Pat Courtney or Louise Maloney in their day jobs but I'm sick of hearing them doing half the ads (the "Woolshed bahahahand grill" and the "oh my cod lunchtime special" seem to come up every break as well as the one about iPhone repair with all the barely censored swear words).
    That 11890 ad with "Eddie Hobbs" makes me put my fist through the radio..

They have caused me to actively avoid 11890. I don't care if they are the cheapest, I'll pay the extra bit to not endorse this rubbish. Eddie Hobbs has been off the RTE celebrity circuit for ages now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Drackedie

There are 2 ads on Live95FM in Limerick which make me grit my teeth.

One is for a Toyota garage in which the announcer refers to it being the "Best place to buy your zero-eleven Toyota". What the hell is a zero-eleven? Zero-nine, 8, 7 etc I can understand but surely the zero dropped last year in 2010? Idiots.

The other one is for EZLiving furniture and has a loud-voiced guy on it saying - dammit can't remember exactly now - something like "Good news the EZLiving sale is still on but must end soon" and repeats it 3 times. Really f**king annoying.

Oh, and that Subway Karaoke ad on TodayFm is really annoying too. I have to turn off the radio when that sh1te comes on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ok, first time I've noticed this thread so apologies if I'm repeating anything here....

Two that really annoy me at the mo.:
    1. UPC

Craig Doyle has been living in London Town for too long methinks. Who uses the words "footie" and "chuffed"? I've been accused of being a snob in my time but fock me, I don't use either word unless I'm taking the p*ss.

2. McDonalds Coffee Ad.
    I've only half-heard it twice but what exactly is she saying in the first 10 seconds of the ad. where she says 'beans' twice in a manner which makes no sense? I admit I've only half-heard it twice so this may be my error and it may make perfect sense, but I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Craig Doyle has been living in London Town for too long methinks. Who uses the words "footie" and "chuffed"?

Ah, it's just come on the radio as I type this. I am sick of hearing that guy advertise anything from UPC to uPVC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Oh Lord, has anybody heard the latest Apache pizza radio advert?

Dear oh dear oh dear, sounds like some kind of 1970s attempt by some 'seriously lacking' leaving cert students at doing their first ever radio Advert (on a very tight budget) :)

Fleetwood, would, would fleetwood is another very sad attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Ok, first time I've noticed this thread so apologies if I'm repeating anything here....

Same here.

I'd have to agree about the Craig Doyle UPC ads, "the folks are getting it now.....watching footie with my Dad." Loike right on Craig.
    Some terrible ads on Nova. Too many voiced by Louise Molony, aargh that accent.....omg loike totally awful.

You can probably spot a common thread for me with these ads, that dreadful D4/Dort accent that's so prevalent on radio now.

I like the No Nonsense insurance ads, some very funny lines.

Cole wrote: »

I like the No Nonsense insurance ads, some very funny lines.

The new one with the man for home insurance are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Grrrrrrrr that stupid add for Unislim, with the girl keeps ringing and leaving voicemails to her friend:

Ummmmmmmm, yum

Ummmmmmmm, yummy

Ummmmmmmm, yummier

Ummmmmmmm, yumiest

Stupid stupid add :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Being a polar bear giving up smoking is never easy

WTF?

I don't know what THEY were smoking when they came to the conclusion that this arbitrary, irrelevant tripe was clever marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Being a polar bear giving up smoking is never easy

Yeah I thought this was stupid as well.. At least Bird's Eye have the loose premise that the polar bear might be living in someone's freezer...

That ad about the person who had a stroke, as told by his son... I'm sorry his father had a stroke, and I'm glad that he survived, but for god's sake .. could they not have given the child a Red Bull before going on... Sounds like he's reading out his five times tables..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Col200sx wrote: »
    Grrrrrrrr that stupid add for Unislim, with the girl keeps ringing and leaving voicemails to her friend:

Ummmmmmmm, yum

Ummmmmmmm, yummy

Ummmmmmmm, yummier

Ummmmmmmm, yumiest

Yes! I came to this thread specifically to mention that ad! I nearly crashed the car this morning racing for the "off" button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

could they not have given the child a Red Bull before going on... Sounds like he's reading out his five times tables..

I was only half listening to the ad, but I thought it was the child that had some medical condition.
    Aglomerado wrote: »
    Yes! I came to this thread specifically to mention that ad! I nearly crashed the car this morning racing for the "off" button.

That is another fine example of radio advertising being the most half-assed and ill-planned of all advertising. Let's just throw any old crap together and annoy people into buying our products. Yeah, that'll work fine. I love the bit at the end that goes; Works in conjunction with a balanced diet. If you had a balanced diet, you wouldn't need or want this crap in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

There's an ad for a financial trading course, with some lad going "Learn the Peter Brown way".

Peter Brown sounds like an absolute c*nt.

Just something about his voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

SoBe wrote: »
    the eircom phone watch adds that try and convince you your house WILL be broken into if you dont get one....grrrr drives me nuts

Yeah as if the guards would come instantly! When did that ever happen!
    I know a case where a man was tied up while being raided by burglars and the guards kept ringing him to see if it was a false alarm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

That ad about the person who had a stroke, as told by his son... I'm sorry his father had a stroke, and I'm glad that he survived, but for god's sake .. could they not have given the child a Red Bull before going on... Sounds like he's reading out his five times tables..

Sounds exactly like the kid whose friend was being beaten up by her father in the Barnardos ad.

It's not fair! why didn't Suzy's father have the stroke? :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Charlieville cheese ad, talking as though it was a meeting.
    Cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Some Freight company

Laaaandan to Cowk is only 75 Euwo Mate!

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

dobsdave wrote: »
    Charlieville cheese ad, talking as though it was a meeting.
    Cringe.

+1 this add is so annoying....are they all toasted cheese muching simpletons in charlieville....? yes if you are to believe this add...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Sweet Jesus I hope the mespil hotel burns to the ground after those ads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Is this the crowd Mespil are catering to?

1. UPC

Craig Doyle has been living in London Town for too long methinks. Who uses the words "footie" and "chuffed"? I've been accused of being a snob in my time but fock me, I don't use either word unless I'm taking the p*ss.

Gotta say that it's annoying. Every time I hear that ad I think to myself "No way Craig Doyle! Your parents are getting something, probably free, from the same company that pay you a ton to be in their ads! I thought they'd get telly with Sky and phone with eircom".
    Some terrible ads on Nova. Too many voiced by Louise Molony, aargh that accent.....omg loike totally awful.

The latest one that pisses me off is for some website, I think it's like a second hand adverts site or something. It's really short and weird. It's just like "log on to our website at x" and then there's a small squeeky voice that says "that's f**kin' great" and that's it, about 5-10 seconds long. I can never for the life of me remember the website for more than a minute either so they even failed on the "being so annoying you'll remember it" thing.
    optogirl wrote: »
    Some Freight company

Laaaandan to Cowk is only 75 Euwo Mate!

Jaysus.

Notice how specific they are in that ad. They mention the number of pallets and a few specific one-way routes which are all ex-tax. Of course the most annoying thing is MORE FAKE ACCENTS on the radio.

Ah, it's just come on the radio as I type this. I am sick of hearing that guy advertise anything from UPC to uPVC!

Haha yeah! I wonder if he slipped the tongue while filming either of the ads? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

Awful I know, but until I actually listened to it properly today, I thought the kid in the ad was the stroke victim (slurred speech) :o

• Advertisement

Awful I know, but until I actually listened to it properly today, I thought the kid in the ad was the stroke victim (slurred speech) :o

That was what I thought the 1st time I heard it.

Theres a new ad for one of the directory enquiry cos with some woman with a stupidly put on cork accent.

neris wrote: »
    That was what I thought the 1st time I heard it.

Theres a new ad for one of the directory enquiry cos with some woman with a stupidly put on cork accent.

As bad as it is, it's a step up from Eddie Hobbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Directory Enquiries ad with the man its the accent that gets me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭cml387

Eircom phonewatch have featured so often in this thread that there is a sort of grandeur to their awfulness.

At one stage they used Dewblin accents as their booooorglars until it was pointed out that they were stereotyping Dubliners as criminals.

Now it seems that there is a gang of voiceover artists stalking the country who cross the door of the Eircom phonewatched house at their peril.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

neris wrote: »

I think that's Dawn Bradfield again, a serial offender.. She certainly offends me anyway.. Every Cork cliché in the ad.. lazy and unoriginal advertising.
    cml387 wrote: »
    Eircom phonewatch have featured so often in this thread that there is a sort of grandeur to their awfulness.

The whole moral or message of these ads REALLY bugs me.. its like you deserve to be robbed if you dont have Eircom PhoneWatch.. HATE these Eircom ads as much as I hate Eircom Jim..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Col200sx wrote: »

Ummmmmmmm, yum

Ummmmmmmm, yummy

Ummmmmmmm, yummier

Ummmmmmmm, yumiest

I hate this fúcking ad so so much. Honest to God how can people actually be paid money to come up with this type of dirge. I would very much like to punch her in the face every time she says it. Yummmmmm!

As for those cheese eating monkeys in Charleville and their bloody town meetings, Jesus wept.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

As mentioned earlier, that DealSolo.ie ad on Nova with the little squeaky voice that chimes in with 'It's ****ing great!'. For the life of me I don't get that squeaky voice bit. Why is it there? The ad functions perfectly without it. It's just stupid and redundant and makes a decent ad for a company sound like a stupid ad for what must be a retarded company for deciding to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

I know I shouldn't...

...but I just HATE the advert for stroke awareness with the little boy talking about acting F.A.S.T. Its just so lifeless and irritating.

...hmmm at least I remember it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I know I shouldn't...

...but I just HATE the advert for stroke awareness with the little boy talking about acting F.A.S.T. Its just so lifeless and irritating.

...hmmm at least I remember it :(

Shame they didn't start that campaign a few years earlier :(

However annoying, it will save lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

If I hear that ad with Twink promoting Grumpy Old Women once more I swear I will hunt the DG down and beat him within an inch of his life with a Tena Lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eminoz

belacqua_ wrote: »
    If I hear that ad with Twink promoting Grumpy Old Women once more I swear I will hunt the DG down and beat him within an inch of his life with a Tena Lady.

Give him a belt of a tea pot from me too...

This ad is just killing me at present. Thought the whole purpose of the "grumpy old..." series/franchise/whatever was, eh, original - indeed amusing - opinions on whatever.
    What's original about this, or even amusing??? Over-rehearsed, over-acted (sorry, stating obvious in that woman's case), over-patronising (esp to Dubs) (and other Really Grumpy old women).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Does anybody know who the woman that voices the links is, i.e."Crown paints, it's not just paint, it's personal"?

Her voice is really, really starting to grate on me ole lug 'oles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Confession time:

The radio ads I like (or should I say, don't dislike) are:

- the Wimax one from a while back, which featured a catchy tune.
    - the "Apache Pizza Happy Days" ad

Just thought I'd add my tuppence worth of positivity, and subject myself to ridicule :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

+1 this add is so annoying....are they all toasted cheese muching simpletons in charlieville....? yes if you are to believe this add...:D

Oh Oh :eek:

You're in for a bashing if our friend Telekon sees that post. ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

greendom wrote: »
    Shame they didn't start that campaign a few years earlier :(

However annoying, it will save lives.

Regarding the Stroke radio commercial, I can't understand a word the kid is saying. I think that's the point the guys were making. If it's an awareness campaign it fails miserably. I agree it's a pity they didn't start it years ago, but it's also a pity that most people don't understand the monotone.

• Advertisement

As for those cheese eating monkeys in Charleville and their bloody town meetings, Jesus wept.....
    Lapin wrote: »
    Oh Oh :eek:

You're in for a bashing if our friend Telekon sees that post. ;):D

Erra, he's half right. :(

Technically though, that Charleville in the ad is actually Avoca, Co. Wicklow. i.e. Ballykissangel. I wipe my hands of the ad as there is not enough town spirit in the actual Charleville to hold such a town meeting!!

Plus, Charleville Cheese isn't even made in Charleville. Its made in Newmarket, Co. Cork!! :rolleyes:

So I believe the joke is firmly on you Fozzie...wakka wakka!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Same here.

I'd have to agree about the Craig Doyle UPC ads, "the folks are getting it now.....watching footie with my Dad." Loike right on Craig.

If he actually pronounced his T's it would be approaching the realms of bearability, but the fact that he says "the folks are geshing ish" just tips it over the edge. Still, nothing is worse than the prat doing the McDonald's Yurroe Saver ads... "Grab a boishe to eashe"

As regards Nova, 4 hours of Pat Courtney is bad enough but when he lends his... inimitable voice to every second ad on the station it gets a bit too much. Going from shouting "WOOLSHED BAAAAA, WOOLSHED BAAAA COR MATE LOOKIT THE MENU" to an all-too-measured "Front. Line. Energy." in 20 seconds is a bit surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

what do you call a pizza with bits of mould growing on it?
    a patchy pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BCSG7

Can anyone think of an idea for a 30-60 second Radio Ad to try and get teenagers to become more physically active? It is part of an assignment i'm doing.

BCSG7 wrote: »
    Can anyone think of an idea for a 30-60 second Radio Ad to try and get teenagers to become more physically active? It is part of an assignment i'm doing.

Are you sure youre not just a lazy ad exec whose best years are behind him... ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement