Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Kojak wrote: »
    Probably mentioned already but those Phoenix magazine ads from a few weeks ago with the narrator with a very strange accent. They seem to have changed the narrator, which can only be an improvement I guess.

I hate those ones. I just find the combination of the guys voice and talking like someone from a gossip show unbelievably irritating.
    Poochie05 wrote: »
    I was actually close to putting my fist through the radio this morning with those Euromillions introductions to the ad where VO recommends you hold on to something! They played it every ad break on Breakfast show on Today FM this morning.

Yeah those were terrible. I thought it was kind of funny the first time I heard it but it was literally the entire break for every break on the way in to work this week on TodayFM. It's not like they needed the publicity either. I'm glad Oxegen is over too, no more annoying adverts from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

That fukn Springboard ad that starts "Unemployed" with some English lad who loves the sound of his own voice voicing it really annoys me... first ad on the three ad breaks of Rachel English's lunchtime show today... really annoying..

And once again those stupid Tommy and PJ ads for Saorview......
    Tommy: "PJ, what will I do with my old analog aerial now that we have digital?"
    PJ: "Shove it up your h0le, Tommy.. Shove it up your h0le"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The today FM for the Rory McIlroy Pro-Am Golf tournament. Rory says "Did you ever wonder what it would be like to play with me?"

eh, no actually Rory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Hectors "keep her lit" radio spot, featuring a who's who of who cares.

Nyyyyavan Cat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I had the bedside radio on last night while I was in that twilight zone between being awake and asleep.

So I don't know if I dreamt about the return of an ad for the one (shouting) man play about Tom Crean.

Maybe I actually heard it, but if not please forgive me for the panic -

I MADE, A MISHTAKE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Auror

That damn eircom ad Jim we're having a baby.....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Auror wrote: »
    That damn eircom ad Jim we're having a baby.....:mad:

I feel your pain. Jim needs to stop the one nighters!

And once again those stupid Tommy and PJ ads for Saorview......
    Tommy: "PJ, what will I do with my old analog aerial now that we have digital?"
    PJ: "Shove it up your h0le, Tommy.. Shove it up your h0le"..

I nearly pissed myself laughing at this, reading it in the voices of the two on the radio :D

Anyway I want to put in a good word for the TV license ads. Those ones always bring a smile to my face which is especially good given the mundane subject matter.

I also like the Vodafone Comedy Festival one with the Canadian comedian whose name escapes me. I just wish they had a few different ones so I'm not hearing the same jokes over and over. He remarks "I could have done 8 more jokes Vodafone" and he's right, they should have made a few more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I can't make up my mind on that ad for taxis where the gangsta punter is rapping along with the Dublin cabbie. It seems to be on every single ad break on newstalk and whenever it comes on I find myself rapping along with the taxi driver part. I seem to know all the words and even the number off by heart. No idea of the name of the taxi firm though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    I can't make up my mind on that ad for taxis where the gangsta punter is rapping along with the Dublin cabbie. It seems to be on every single ad break on newstalk and whenever it comes on I find myself rapping along with the taxi driver part. I seem to know all the words and even the number off by heart. No idea of the name of the taxi firm though.

I love it! Don't know the name either but the number is 6 double 7 double 2 double 2 :)

I love it! Don't know the name either but the number is 6 double 7 double 2 double 2 :)

How ya doin' boss! jump in the back and I'll take ya into town where you'll have a bit of Craic! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

the worst radio ad at the moment I think is the one for the kilkenny cat laughs festival (I think that's what it's for) on today fm. this guy basically tells a load of very unfunny jokes in about 30 seconds (e.g. I used to work in a factory that made clown shoes, that was no small feat...I want to write a mystery novel, or do I...etc) and the end of the ad says 'if this is what 30 seconds is like, can you imagine what a whole weekend would be like'....yeah i could, it would be bloody painful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    How ya doin' boss! jump in the back and I'll take ya into town where you'll have a bit of Craic! :pac:

Yep, it's a cracking ad, makes me smile every time I hear it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Post fone ad featuring a Mr Singh. Irish actor doing an appalling Indian accent with a cross between Jamaican and Middle Oirland. Hilarious but awful.

Alos the 'Rocherstown' Park Hotel ad. Please stop it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭32yg

galway bay fm play pretty bad ones, a lot of them said by the same guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Post fone ad featuring a Mr Singh. Irish actor doing an appalling Indian accent with a cross between Jamaican and Middle Oirland. Hilarious but awful.

Yes that Mr Singh drivel is torture, it probaby comes across as offensive to Indians aswell. Also I hate that little jingle postfone have at the end of their ads, makes me feel like bursting my fist through the radio.

I'd love to punch the kid in that ad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Given that Rochestown is about 6 miles from the centre of Cork, calling it a 'city' hotel is taking the proverbial. Also, that kid should be kicked in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dear Radisson hotel Galway, the Celtic Tiger is currently decomposing, your stupid ad should also be taken out and shot.

Cottontail wrote: »
    the worst radio ad at the moment I think is the one for the kilkenny cat laughs festival (I think that's what it's for) on today fm. this guy basically tells a load of very unfunny jokes in about 30 seconds (e.g. I used to work in a factory that made clown shoes, that was no small feat...I want to write a mystery novel, or do I...etc) and the end of the ad says 'if this is what 30 seconds is like, can you imagine what a whole weekend would be like'....yeah i could, it would be bloody painful!!

Love that ad ♥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Cottontail wrote: »

Great ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Those 2 dick_head.gif's going "swoppage - you mean scrappage? - no swoppage" deserve a painful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dr. Bad Touch

the twat on the eircom ads, 'Jim' I think it its, gets right on my teets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Aaaaarrrrrggghhh... That ad for "Mawatan Sports Twavel" is back on Newstalk advertising "twips to the Teeter of Dweams" etc.

So crap. :mad:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

the twat on the eircom ads, 'Jim' I think it its, gets right on my teets

Jim: Eircom Support, Jim speaking!
    Woman: Jim, we're having a baby
    Jim: OK, but...
    Woman: But what?
    Jim: Are you sure it's mine?
    Woman: Of course not, sure no woman in their right mind would sleep with a greasy little twerp like you!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

coonecb1 wrote: »
    Jim: Eircom Support, Jim speaking!
    Woman: Jim, we're having a baby
    Jim: OK, but...
    Woman: But what?
    Jim: Are you sure it's mine?
    Woman: Of course not, sure no woman in their right mind would sleep with a greasy little twerp like you!

The "are you sure it's mine" implies that old Jimmy boy did sleep with this woman and recognises her voice. Which raises serious questions not only about his contract and personal ethics but also the woman herself. Eircom has a lot to answer for.

stannis wrote: »
    The "are you sure it's mine" implies that old Jimmy boy did sleep with this woman and recognises her voice. Which raises serious questions not only about his contract and personal ethics but also the woman herself. Eircom has a lot to answer for.

Um, I was aware of the implication they intended, but thanks anyway for pointing it out.

I took the liberty of changing the last line, as I think it would be a more realistic interpretation of Jim's encounters with a woman

stannis wrote: »
    The "are you sure it's mine" implies that old Jimmy boy did sleep with this woman and recognises her voice.

eircomjim_2.jpg

Look at him ffs.. He couldn't impregnate the cat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to use a child's voice as a drill sergeant telling their mother to "come-on" and "hurry up"

I swear that mother should give her son a wallop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fvcking Tom Crean back to haunt me until October!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

where to start....

Iarnróid Eireanns Flip flopping thing....what an utter failure of an advert, especially the one with the knitted shorts thing. What is the point of this promo? The whole flip flopping thing screams of made up buzzword to try and get people talking about....well, what is it? A family ticket with reduced rate? None of that is made clear. Oh so we need to go to the website? All character and "humour" lead with no substance about what the actual product is...
    Terrible.

The Zurich insurance ad with the yodelling featuring one of the usual Irish voiceover suspects translating what some lady is yodelling about. Highly irritating and a pointless waste of costly airtime, the tenuous link seeming to be that the company is swiss and so is yodelling....but what on earth has that to do with insurance? Needs major editing IMO.

Eason's ad with yer wan and the aliens in her garden...just no. Also whilst on the subject what is it with Irish ads of late using the term "sorted" (Easons, Eircom, DDA parking) except they pronounce is "swarted". As if to try and promote a product as a quick fix, one stop shop type thing.

Eircom Jim managed to get someone pregnant whilst avoiding being outsourced to East Asia? Congratulations Jim. I still don't want your package though with it's ambiguous promo pricing.

Last one: been going a while now, but the UPC fibrepower ad is a real headwrecker, Doyle's smarming over the superhero backing track and then that bloody D4 blurb at the end about switching; her voice could be used for deep sea drilling.

On the bright side, at least Prince's concert is over...if I heard "you sexy mother ---- WOOOOHOOOO!" too many more times or Fenton banging on about purpleness, I couldn't have been held reponsible for my actions

[edit] Oh yeah, not heard it in a while, but that Sky ad a month or more back about Amy and her +box was the final catalyst I needed to give up my subscription. Should have done it years ago...so if anyone from Sky is reading thanks for ads like that, a real moneysaver. The lady who did this ad has that UPC girl beat in the annoying shrillness stakes, handsdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

mike65 wrote: »
    Fvcking Tom Crean back to haunt me until October!

"I made a mistake" (Hilarity ensues...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I had avoided Tubridy since he went to 2fm and then yesterday, much to my surprise (I thought he emigrated!), he was back on RTE1. It was only an add for 2fm but I did turn the radio off. The snippet of an ad was enough to remind me of why I don't listen to him so I think that probably makes it a good one???

Wertz wrote: »
    where to start....

Iarnróid Eireanns Flip flopping thing....what an utter failure of an advert, especially the one with the knitted shorts thing. What is the point of this promo? The whole flip flopping thing screams of made up buzzword to try and get people talking about....well, what is it? A family ticket with reduced rate? None of that is made clear. Oh so we need to go to the website? All character and "humour" lead with no substance about what the actual product is...
    Terrible.

This one has been annoying me a lot lately. Especially considering at the beginning he says "I have 2 flips but no flops!" and at the end he asks "so is me flip bigger than me flop?".

On the bright side, at least Prince's concert is over...if I heard "you sexy mother ---- WOOOOHOOOO!" too many more times or Fenton banging on about purpleness, I couldn't have been held reponsible for my actions

This was the best part of Prince's performance, the ad being over. I don't dislike Prince, just the stupid ad, particularly the WOOOOOOOOO and "the world's greatest performer" or whatever he called him.

Another annoying one is some sort of Vodafone business one. It sounds like a guy talking over an intercom but it keeps breaking up, has nothing to do with what they're selling and is frustrating to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

C14N wrote: »
    Another annoying one is some sort of Vodafone business one.

Not sure if it's the same ad that you're talking about, but the one for Vodafone business where the guy refers to "late night heroes sending e-mails after midnight".

Now to me, the only thing anyone who works during the day should be doing after midnight is drinking, watching TV, dancing, fcuking the missus, or sleeping.

If you're voluntarily sending work e-mails at that time of the night and you're not on overtime, shift, or on-call, then you're not a hero, you're a fool - the worst kind of bloody corporate crawler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Lapin wrote: »
    I had the bedside radio on last night while I was in that twilight zone between being awake and asleep.

So I don't know if I dreamt about the return of an ad for the one (shouting) man play about Tom Crean.

Maybe I actually heard it, but if not please forgive me for the panic -

I MADE, A MISHTAKE.

Naw, 'fraid not Lapin. You only WISH you were dreaming.
    It appears that Tom Crean will be shouting out of the radio to us until OCTOBER!!!
    All this for a 6 night run...????? Surely anyone who wanted to see this has seen it already??
    So, don't worry..only 12 more weeks of "SOUTH GEORGIA" and you can sleep safely again.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

or Fenton banging on about purpleness

First time I heard that ad, I actually thought Barney was coming back to the O2. That would have been less irritating than the Prince ad.

Check out
    http://soundcloud.com/gremlinsaudio/gremlins-commercial-break

Excitable shouty guy in the middle is either Tony Fenton, or Phil Cawley. They have cracked the perfect recipe for radio ads though.

lmao sounds like an ad for Unique in the middle bit...dunno if it's Cawley or Fenton though; don't think it's either....but certainly has their style down cold.
    Oddly enough I'm having a craving for chocolate now, so adverts do work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dunno if it's Cawley or Fenton though; don't think it's either....but certainly has their style down cold.

The style was what I was getting at, not actually Cawley or Fenton, just sounds exactly like they are on ads - excitable and shouty.
    Oddly enough I'm having a craving for chocolate now, so adverts do work :D

And I have a craving for a mild mannered Scottsman! :eek:

• Advertisement

McCain's Mexican Wedges...where did they get yer wan from? It's like she was afraid to stop grinning the whole way through the take...which does nothing for the ol' 20 something tiger cub accent. Oh and as usual in an Irish ad the guy can do nothing right and needs to be rebuked at any opportunity...aren't bbqs all about the meat??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Night Joe Dolans Car Broke Down, which has been wowing them in the provinces and will be drilling its way into your head from now until the flipping tickets all sell out.

The most recent one to really get on my nerves is the one for Senior Helpline voiced by Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh (damn I right I pasted his name).

He can't pronounce the word "senior". He prounounces it "seener". He does it twice. I know he's not a native English speaker but it is a fairly simple word. He also sounds very creepy when he says the line "It's for you".

I don't want to begrudge the encouraging of elderly people to call a hotline to talk to each other but the ad is very irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

McCain's Mexican Wedges...where did they get yer wan from?

I didn't know it was possible to emphasise the X in Mexican, but somehow she managed it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

How unrealistic can the eircom ads get? The latest one has a woman ringing in saying she has a baby on the way and needs support. Jim turns around and asks if it is his.

Now I'm not sure if the ads creators have ever been inside a call centre, but coming out with something like that would get you fired on the spot.

NCA back to school costs ads...

"lo-lo-lo-la-lalla....not listening"

Yeah I know the feeling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

The ad on Nova for Hard Rock Cafe where he talks about John Bon Jovi's "buns". fooking shyte. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    The ad on Nova for Hard Rock Cafe where he talks about John Bon Jovi's "buns". fooking shyte. :rolleyes:

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

DarkJager wrote: »
    Now I'm not sure if the ads creators have ever been inside a call centre...

Just to take up that point, having worked in a call centre, I absolutely hate ads that are set in call centres, especially ones where the poor minimum-wage drone is being ever so helpful to the courteous customer.

Usually the fcuker on the phone is only interested in getting the caller off the line so he can meet his targets for the day, and the customer is usually either pestering the guy with yet another stupid question (RTFM!), or else being unreasonable and aggressive, or is simly thick as p1gsh1t!

It would be nice for once to hear an ad that displayed the reality of the situation, with a bit of humour... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Anybody got a link for that Dublin taxi ad rip off of Ice Ice Baby?
    The "something...something....something...taxi....taxi....taxi", "6 77 22 22, YEAAAH!!!" one?

• Site Banned Posts: 2 ballsack

Nah the worst one is the Denny Ad, you know the one with the statue of Mary in the front garden. With the dog ugly bride and the bulldog mass going sausage eating family. Imagine the smell at the wedding with all those sausage farts. Oh yeah and the Lyons ads, makes me hate my own race when I see those ads

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement