Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

zeppe wrote: »
    Anybody got a link for that Dublin taxi ad rip off of Ice Ice Baby?
    The "something...something....something...taxi....taxi....taxi", "6 77 22 22, YEAAAH!!!" one?

I quite like that ad :o

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

This one's for you "ballsack".:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypPtYH6dTUc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    The most recent one to really get on my nerves is the one for Senior Helpline voiced by Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh (damn I right I pasted his name).

He can't pronounce the word "senior". He prounounces it "seener". He does it twice. I know he's not a native English speaker but it is a fairly simple word. He also sounds very creepy when he says the line "It's for you".

I don't want to begrudge the encouraging of elderly people to call a hotline to talk to each other but the ad is very irritating.

dreadful ad, 'seenur' help line

he was also doing an add recently for either centra or spar, something to do with the GAA Championship, 'meeting your friends at the bus stop, the craic outside spar on main street..taking the bus to croke park' dreadful add.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Ugh, that creep from the Quinn ads is back doing ones for Easons *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ad for arthritis Ireland (a worthy charity I'm sure)...the worst D4 dort accent ever. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Any one of Craig Doyle's shills for whatever form of insurance you're having yourself.

Oh speaking of Mr Doyle....ad for some travel firm he's in with some aborted abbey actress known as Bridie who wants to tell us about her eruptions and fallujah? Big WTF from me...feck off the both of ye...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

There is an ad for a taxi company with this fella talking in a cockney accent, near the end he says 'You may think this company is in London but they are in Dublin and there number is 01 .......' just completley shoehorned Dublin in there, terrible stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shotfan

Just the fact that the same 2 or 3 people do EVERY ad on the radio.
    I particularly dislike the older gent who plays every generic 'business' boss, as well as the 'host' on that hotel ad with the irritating kid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

coonecb1 wrote: »
    Jim: Eircom Support, Jim speaking!
    Woman: Jim, we're having a baby
    Jim: OK, but...
    Woman: But what?
    Jim: Are you sure it's mine?
    Woman: Of course not, sure no woman in their right mind would sleep with a greasy little twerp like you!

In fairness I don't think Jim has reached puberty yet - and yes, everytime I hear him on any ad I want to smash the radio. :D

• Advertisement

In fairness I don't think Jim has reached puberty yet - and yes, everytime I hear him on any ad I want to smash the radio. :D

Especially the new one...
    I'm sure that woman who was pregnant just a short while back is now breaking up with her bf because her neighbour likes to play games...
    Cue Jim: "Oh I'll bet he does!"...
    What is this: Carry On Callcentre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Shotfan wrote: »
    Just the fact that the same 2 or 3 people do EVERY ad on the radio.
    I particularly dislike the older gent who plays every generic 'business' boss, as well as the 'host' on that hotel ad with the irritating kid!!
    For me it's the young fella that seems to do every ad. I think he's on Fair City now? Ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    I can't make up my mind on that ad for taxis where the gangsta punter is rapping along with the Dublin cabbie. It seems to be on every single ad break on newstalk and whenever it comes on I find myself rapping along with the taxi driver part. I seem to know all the words and even the number off by heart. No idea of the name of the taxi firm though.

I accessed this thread just to mention this ad.

It is dire.

I actually switch radio station when I hear it (take that, newstalk...) in protest. Pathetic protest, but still, it's a fucking rubbish advertisement.

That feckin' licence fee ad with the dentist...RTE have some brass neck when they decide to compare their revenue generation with having your teeth drilled and then equating both to being painless. On a satirical level it's almost brilliant, if it weren't for that woman mumbling with her mouth full making it so damn annoying...

Oh and I've seen it mentioned here a few times but had never heard it...the Tom Crean ad...why is the guy shouting?
    "I made a mishtake!" (laughter) What? The only mistake would be buying tickets, I'd hazard...

Wertz wrote: »
    Oh and I've seen it mentioned here a few times but had never heard it...the Tom Crean ad...why is the guy shouting?
    "I made a mishtake!" (laughter) What? The only mistake would be buying tickets, I'd hazard...
    That's the most annoying part of that ad, the show is actually really really good, but the ad makes me hate it so bloody much... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

theres an ad on the last few days for either barrys or lyons tea and its creapy. sounds like gay sexual harrasment in the workplace. somthing about puting talk in tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

zeppe wrote: »
    Anybody got a link for that Dublin taxi ad rip off of Ice Ice Baby?
    The "something...something....something...taxi....taxi....taxi", "6 77 22 22, YEAAAH!!!" one?

That bit where he goes "...and i'll bring you into town where ye'll have a bit of craic" grates on my nerves big time. :mad:

theres an ad for easons school where some womans being interviewed about buying books but keeps waffling on about aliens. Stupid ad thats pointless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

bamboozle wrote: »
    dreadful ad, 'seenur' help line

he was also doing an add recently for either centra or spar, something to do with the GAA Championship, 'meeting your friends at the bus stop, the craic outside spar on main street

Shows you how ineffective the ad is - it's actually for SuperValu!
    dulpit wrote: »
    That's the most annoying part of [The Tom Crean] ad, the show is actually really really good, but the ad makes me hate it so bloody much... :mad:
    I agree the show is good. I didn't mind the ad so much at first, but the constant repetition is getting to Neil Diamond proportions at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That Solheim Cup one !!

Jez, talk about waffle. Its straight out of the Sky TV-like hype dept.

Its womens golf, no-one cares.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

It’s the moment you’ve waited for, the moment you’ve dreaded.

Jesus woman, you’re not going over the top at The Somme.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

All the ads on our local station Ocean FM cringeworthy.

Since when has Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh become a sought after voice for radio ads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭cml387

Since when has Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh become a sought after voice for radio ads?

Since he retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭squonk

Thumbs up to those who hate the Solheim Cup ad. "the talking is over", feck that! They'd be better off with an add with a vo by some of the lady golfers saying 'Hi, I'm x, from england and I'll see you at the Solheim cup" because right now, we don't know any of the lady golfers and we don't care either! Golf is bad enough as it is, if the ladie's version follows the rule of thumb for most sports, shares in companies producing sleeping pills will go through the floor while this is on because their products won't be needed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

That bloody ad where Dave books a cheap hotel for himself and his mates and its so cheap they think he secretly paid extra for them. Jesus Christ, All I can think of is the bloody voice actors sitting in the studio shouting this purile bullplop at each other wondering where their lives went wrong. Some of them probably started out with aspirations of being the next De Niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Was it since some marketing genius decided he sounded "Prizzidintshall"? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

The latest eircom broadband ad with jim and his caller breaking up with her boyfriend,it must have been on every break on today fm...overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

That bloody add for Zurich Insurance:

Yodelling for cheaper car insurance.....

And yer wan yodelling away like a muppet, and himself translating it.

Shockingly bad add :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

That ad for advertising on RTE radio, voiced by Joe Rooney, is the most annoying ad by far on radio at the moment... It's bascially just thirty seconds of him SHOUTING down the fkn radio at you.. With the same fuddy duddy "funny" RTE scripts.. Really want to put my fist through the radio when this interminable crap comes on..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

That ad for advertising on RTE radio, voiced by Joe Rooney, is the most annoying ad by far on radio at the moment... It's bascially just thirty seconds of him SHOUTING down the fkn radio at you.. With the same fuddy duddy "funny" RTE scripts.. Really want to put my fist through the radio when this interminable crap comes on..

Is that the one about backing a dirty great trailer with a billboard into a field? I really thought that was quite good - seriously! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Is that the one about backing a dirty great trailer with a billboard into a field? I really thought that was quite good - seriously! :D

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That Taxi ad in a bad cockerney accent, seriously do they want to attract or repel trade?

What's interesting in that ad is that it says that the RTÉ radio ad department helps you out with production of your ad...that explains oh so much really, both about the small pool of voice actors used and the general level of piss poor output as evidenced by the length of this thread.
    A good radio ad is and can be an effective promotional tool but I would argue that a poor one can in fact detract from the product or service it seeks to promote...

In other news I notice Eircom Jim is back with a slightly less annoying offering about some bloke thinking of getting the family dog put down so his children can get grinds or something...funny thing is that the dog's bark doesn't sound like it's on the same phoneline as the caller...perhaps the dog is in fact in the cubicle next to Jim...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

europa11 wrote: »
    Was it since some marketing genius decided he sounded "Prizzidintshall"? :rolleyes:

He sounds like a farmer with a gobfull of hot spuds.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Heard an awful one for Setanta featuring a haka. Who comes up with this sh1te.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    That bloody ad where Dave books a cheap hotel for himself and his mates and its so cheap they think he secretly paid extra for them. Jesus Christ, All I can think of is the bloody voice actors sitting in the studio shouting this purile bullplop at each other wondering where their lives went wrong. Some of them probably started out with aspirations of being the next De Niro.

the other 1 were the bloke with the skanger accent is taking the girl to the hotel and thinks he sees madonna in the lift is utter tripe aswell. and you know if you booked on that site youd probably end up in a travel lodge or premier inn and not the ritz

Heard an awful one for Setanta featuring a haka. Who comes up with this sh1te.

heard that today sounded like they were saying breakfast roll in the haka. more rubbish from setanta.

neris wrote: »
    heard that today sounded like they were saying breakfast roll in the haka. more rubbish from setanta.

Heard this also, is it not pretty offensive to the Maori?

Heard this also, is it not pretty offensive to the Maori?

"Ah shure them lads will never hear it"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

The first time I heard the eircom broadband ad... me and my husband keep breaking up... guy next door likes to play games... I bet he does... was funny, but not after the 1 billionth time hearing it. Too many ads on Today FM. (I know, advertising pays, but it's the sheer repetition of the ads that gets me.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A special on Centra brand wine gums

fcuk off:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The aul' one that does the TG4 ads, Suil Eile, Can she not talk like her chest is deflated???
    man she gets right up me jacksie with a wire brush

that new 1 for the solheim cup with some posh english bird begging people to come watch golf. mens golf is bad enough to watch

€218 ?

Two hundred and eighteen euro???

Teo hunret n eideen neuro?????

F*CK OFF! I don't care if you're giving it away, whatever it might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Bloody Super Valu. I get that they want to use people from all over the country in their ads but at least pick people who can speak.

It's Super Valu, not Soup Valu, and it's thick bleach rather than tick bleach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

The ad on FM 104 for the Strawberry Alarm Clock. Its strawberry not "strawbree". Bloody hell learn how to pronounce the word properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Any sign of a 'best' radio ad in this thread yet? The Irish marketing companies have a lot to answer for...seriously, is the best they can come up with? Irritating and nauseating advertising. Get it together lads.

They could do with a couple of Don Drapers in their ranks. Maybe they should drink and smoke all day long for a bit of inspiration...

I can't recall ever posting about a "best" one, there are some, but they don't tend to run for long or incite the same sort of urge to rant about as the bad ones.
    An ad IMO is "good" if it manages to avoid being mentioned...and even a good one can become bad if it's on every single ad break.
    We have such a small pool of voice actors and a seemingly limited number of ideas and scenarios for radio ads that the repetition and familiarity tends to grate in a short space of time.

[edit] The Barry's christmas one with the train seems to be liked by a few on here (not my cup of tea though :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

The ad on FM 104 for the Strawberry Alarm Clock. Its strawberry not "strawbree". Bloody hell learn how to pronounce the word properly.

I think the put on accent is all part of the fun? No?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement