Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Just checking. Begs the question why they don't use him...he's one of the best things Citroen have going for them except maybe the DS3.
    God I hate Irish radio ads... pisstake accents and stereotype views on nationalities...it's like a Jim Davidson routine without the funny...

[edit] Wow from the sounds of things my lack of newstalk reception is a blessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"It's almost 12 o'clock"...

And this ad was played at 11.27am... I'm sure it gave somebody a heart attack..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

"For more, stay tuned to RTE."

More what? Rubbish 'theatre' ads with this idiotic message tacked on to the end? I want an answer now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Alzy wrote: »
    yeah I agree , it's for taxis I think .... 'get off the bus ride with us ' :mad:
    Get off the Bus....RIDE WITH US!!!

Get off the DART...RIDE WITH US!!!

Get off the LUAS....RIDE WITH US!!!

NRC....Taxi....Taxi....Taxi...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Actually had a good laugh the first time I heard that. I was expecting them to rhyme "Luas" with "Us" in some way and there were plenty of immature giggles in the car about rhyming "DART" with "fart".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Wertz wrote: »
    Just checking. Begs the question why they don't use him...he's one of the best things Citroen have going for them except maybe the DS3.
    God I hate Irish radio ads... pisstake accents and stereotype views on nationalities...it's like a Jim Davidson routine without the funny...

[edit] Wow from the sounds of things my lack of newstalk reception is a blessing.

Jim Davidson is funny now?? :D

Citroën really splashed the cash on that advert though. That guy couldnt even do a Limerick accent let alone a French one, just sounds ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Get off the Bus....RIDE WITH US!!!

Get off the DART...RIDE WITH US!!!

Get off the LUAS....RIDE WITH US!!!

NRC....Taxi....Taxi....Taxi...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You gotta admit, its effective. Theyre inadvertently getting tons of free advertising in this thread alone...

"Winter's back".... :mad::mad::mad: all day today again..

If I ever meet that voiceover chap (Jimmy O'Byrne I think), he'll be suffering from that other perennial condition.. "My foot up his a$s"..

DarkJager wrote: »
    Jim Davidson is funny now?? :D

Citroën really splashed the cash on that advert though. That guy couldnt even do a Limerick accent let alone a French one, just sounds ridiculous

Not at all, I just couldn't think of someone else who does the nationalistic stereotype "comedy". Funny should maybe have had brackets too...

Heard the ad today...the poster is indeed correct that it is truly terrible.
    They have Loeb on retainer, and they use this clap trap?

Really tired of that food safety ad now with the machine gun list of kitchen implements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Heard an ad for the new Gaiety Panto. Heard it once, already loathe everything about it... :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

dulpit wrote: »
    An ad for Big Maggie, what's up with her voice????

Over acting, imagine sitting through a whole play listening to that rubbish.
    No thanks.

• Advertisement

Heard an ad for the new Gaiety Panto. Heard it once, already loathe everything about it... :mad:
    Achoo??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Hippo wrote: »
    "For more, stay tuned to RTE."

More what? Rubbish 'theatre' ads with this idiotic message tacked on to the end? I want an answer now!

I hate that 2fm did that aswell and there was never any more information.

The zurich ad with the business guy is head wrecking i really he wish he would f off to zurich and throw him self of one of those very big mountains without a parachute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Listening to Nova most of the day while I'm working on my dissertation, great station but the ads are killing it for me. Tons of annoying ones, but the most annoying is one for a pub in Stillorgan. It's some bint giving out about "men" they've only got four things on their mind, all of them at Stillorgan, says I. It even have a stupid "whisper, whisper" bit. Argh.

If anyone else knows this ad, please don't mention what it's for. I'm afraid that they'd think us discussing it is good publicity for that pub.

What about that one with the lady speaking in the soft northern accent, designed to appeal to the "whole country", cheaply, for some food safety campaign, :
    She says "Sauce. Pan." instead of "saucepan"!!!.
    WTF!!

"Christmas presnt crisis" buy them a charity goat. Concern ad really pi55es me off. why the feck would you insult someone with a goat, school books or an apple tree

The ad for Farnham Estate with the pencil scribbling in the background :mad:

ad for carton house golf club. ****ting on about how fantastic their designer courses are and its only €2300 for membership.

Oh dear it's that time of year again, Bothar ad on a little while ago...not long now till it's "choo choo" Barry's tea time.

Wertz wrote: »
    Oh dear it's that time of year again, Bothar ad on a little while ago...not long now till it's "choo choo" Barry's tea time.

I love the Barry's one, and looking forward to hearing it!!

Hate ALL the stupid Lyons Tea ones at the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hate ALL the stupid Lyons Tea ones at the moment though.

Me too. Doesn't that beat Banagher! :D

• Advertisement

I liked it once but it's been played several years now, its excessively long and it hasn't changed a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

C14N wrote: »
    I liked it once but it's been played several years now, its excessively long and it hasn't changed a bit.

It wouldn't be Christmas if it changed. It's like Willy Wonka, Urbi et Orbi, Turkey & Ham, the Queen's Speech....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

neris wrote: »
    "Christmas presnt crisis" buy them a charity goat. Concern ad really pi55es me off. why the feck would you insult someone with a goat, school books or an apple tree

The perfect gift to ensure the receiver doesn't talk to you for the entirety of Christmas day. I know people like charity but it boggles the mind as to who could possibly enjoy being told they were a bought a goat for christmas but can never meet it.

The bothar ad is really grating now. Those poxy animals are still on their way to fecking africa. they must be walking coz they were on the way to africa last year aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

neris wrote: »
    The bothar ad is really grating now. Those poxy animals are still on their way to fecking africa. they must be walking coz they were on the way to africa last year aswell.

to fahatalise the soil with owa manuah....painful

How much do you reckon bothar pay for these ads? Surely it'd be better if they saved the money instead?

Vodafone Christmas radio ad, (sounds like the TV one)schmaltzy, out of copyright cheap music picked by a 20 year old thinking it'll appeal to the masses without offending anyone.

Boring, Boring, Boring.................................
    And another 5 weeks of it to come, dear God give me strength.

There's surely a major opportunity being missed by some ad agency by forgetting about using the "Going Back" song as used in the famous ESB ad for a new cuddly warm Christmas radio ad?

There's a whole generation out there now who would never have known the original, and the song is as appealing as ever IMO, what with emigration etc.

Sorry if a little off topic.

5% commission to me please!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Will someone ever shut Craig Doyle and the rest of the UPC people up by telling them THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FIBRE-POWERED BROADBAND!

Fibre optic cable is a conduit, it is not a power!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

That one for 'Money Village', when the ditty is played 'You're not alone .....'. It's the only add that I turn off the car radio for (when I hear it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

*hears the ad for June Roger's Christmas show*

Christmas is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Gophur wrote: »
    Will someone ever shut Craig Doyle up

Fixed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

For me its the add from Fleetwood.Fleetwood wood wood fleetwood.Radio is turned off every time .

Fixed :)

:eek:

Gophur wrote: »
    Will someone ever shut Craig Doyle and the rest of the UPC people up by telling them THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FIBRE-POWERED BROADBAND!

It the wan from Fair City that does the second part of that ad that really annoys me.. fake, sickeningly sweetened tones .... And the way she says "broaaaband" :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Radio 1 has a little spiel from Dimplex that introduces the weather (I think) during Morning Ireland every morning.

The background music is Gymnopédie by Satie, which I can't stand*, and hearing that sets it playing in my head all day long. :mad:

* beautiful piece of music, but just so depressing!

Vodafone Christmas radio ad, (sounds like the TV one)schmaltzy, out of copyright cheap music picked by a 20 year old thinking it'll appeal to the masses without offending anyone.

Boring, Boring, Boring.................................
    And another 5 weeks of it to come, dear God give me strength.

I haven't heard the new Vodafone music but I hated the old one. It was a strange sort of sound that I can't describe, you'd have to hear it to appreciate how infuriating it is.
    fricatus wrote: »
    Radio 1 has a little spiel from Dimplex that introduces the weather (I think) during Morning Ireland every morning.

The background music is Gymnopédie by Satie, which I can't stand*, and hearing that sets it playing in my head all day long. :mad:

* beautiful piece of music, but just so depressing!

I love that song but it definitely doesn't belong in some poxy radio ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Prostate. There I've said it!

You say it now...

Prostate, There we've said it...

Makes me want to pull my own prostate out through my foot.

C14N wrote: »
    I haven't heard the new Vodafone music but I hated the old one.

I heard a different version today, more talk on phones, less music this time, still sh**.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

'Ireland don't play in pink Chloe'

F**k you, you passive aggressive di*k. Wash yer own bleedin fleece!

• Advertisement

optogirl wrote: »

That sounds a bit psycho that part of the ad.

Davina speaks to her Irish listeners directly and then lowers herself to speaking to a real live Irish person, a lady in fact, who is most impressed with Davina's wares. (arent we all?)

The usual grating sound of bubbly well spoken "UK celebrity" followed by "Paddy's Wife" Yeuchh!:D:D

Joe Dolan's car broke down again...

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

How much do you reckon bothar pay for these ads? Surely it'd be better if they saved the money instead?

I'm beginning to think they based this ad on Shrek.

The 'Goat' character seems to be a direct rip-off of 'Donkey' in Shrek.

They are both hyperactive and irritating. Only difference is 'Donkey' had some witty lines which made him endearing, and the voice-over was well delivered by Eddie Murphy.

'Goat' on the other hand sounds like he's voiced by a 15-year old, pimply faced puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Oh ya, the Lyons putting the talking back in to tea add.

While I hate it, the part that pisses me off is the big slurp of tea he takes before he tells that story, it's disgusting :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Well it finally happened on Sunday morning, I awoke in a half drunken hungover state and slammed my clock radio against the wall.
    You owe me a new one National Radio Cabs.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Col200sx wrote: »

While I hate it, the part that pisses me off is the big slurp of tea he takes before he tells that story, it's disgusting :mad:

You would not like the guy who sits next to me in the office. He drinks tay, not tea. Every cup is drank in 4 sets of 3 slurps each followed by an aaahh(4 times daily). 2 of these are accompanied by an apple eaten with his mouth wide open and each bite is preceded with a hhhhhhhom sound. The 2 o'clock tay break sounds like this

SLURP
    SLURP
    SLURP
    AAAAHhhh

SLURP
    SLURP
    SLURP
    AAAAHhhh

SLURP
    SLURP
    SLURP
    AAAAHhhh

SLURP
    SLURP
    SLURP
    AAAAHhhh

hhhhhom
    NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

hhhhhom
    NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

hhhhhom
    NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

hhhhhom
    NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Well it finally happened on Sunday morning, I awoke in a half drunken hungover state and slammed my clock radio against the wall.
    You owe me a new one National Radio Cabs.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Which station, I need an excuse to buy a new Radio:) Love those ads though, always make me smile.

If yer off to yer Ma's or going out on the razzz - 6772222

Hmmm, they work :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

He does sound like a nut job holding a knife in that tone though... sends a shiver down my spine each time i hear it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Arnotts ad "jeffrey were not going to Rome"

Disgusting throwback to the attitude of the Celtic Bubble:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement