Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Yer man doing the national irish bank ad's voice over kinda piss u off dublin accent

Ye I know the one you're talking about.... "What would Rolls have been without Royce, what would Hannah have been without Barbara"... What would the bank be without State funding.... closed down..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Why do Bothair persist with using 'goat' year after year?

That effin goat is getting my..........ehm, goat up. :o

I'll get my gcoat.
    Goodnight !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Ye I know the one you're talking about.... "What would Rolls have been without Royce, what would Hannah have been without Barbara"... What would the bank be without State funding.... closed down..

Any idea who he is? really annoying sneery know-it-all voice!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eminoz

Any idea who he is? really annoying sneery know-it-all voice!
    My guess is Stanley Townsend (usually like his voiceovers but am losing goodwill rapidly) (Sorry Stanley. if it's not you) (and if it isn't, can you tell us all who it is?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The best one has to be where yer man actually leaves a message on the answering machine telling his ma or someone that he's outside. (As he knocks the front door getting no reply.) With the dozy music in the background.

That one makes no sense.

His Ma saw his name come up and didn't answer. So she won't be rushing to get his phone message.

Or else she is busy doing something else.

Either way, she won't be rushing to answer the door, so your man will be freezing his balls off until he rings the Ma's Doorbell.

The one with the 80 year old telling us about lying in bed looking forward to his turkey and all the best things his woman can offer makes me feel physically sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Lapin wrote: »
    The one with the 80 year old telling us about lying in bed looking forward to his turkey and all the best things his woman can offer makes me feel physically sick.

That ad was probably written by a 27 year old female. It's probably her idea of romantic, that there's such a thing as one true love, and that it can last a lifetime.

Listen love, stop watching The Notebook and start watching The Wire if you want to get a sense of things people can identify with.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

coonecb1 wrote: »
    Listen love, stop watching The Notebook and start watching The Wire if you want to get a sense of things people can identify with.

Yeah, I'm sure The Wire is really relevant to people living on the mean streets of Termonfeckin or Buttevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

stannis wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm sure The Wire is really relevant to people living on the mean streets of Termonfeckin or Buttevant.

I'd say it's more relevant than The Notebook, wouldn't you?

Or did you think the Wire was only about cops and robbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I hope everyone gives their animal gifts through Oxfam, Concern or some other non-Bothar charity this Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

NRC Taxi have a new Christmas rap ad.:mad::mad: I won't comment any further on it because I can already feel my blood pressure rising and I don't think I could describe it without veering off into a rant and using excessive amounts of profanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

eminoz wrote: »
    My guess is Stanley Townsend (usually like his voiceovers but am losing goodwill rapidly) (Sorry Stanley. if it's not you) (and if it isn't, can you tell us all who it is?)

Sure sounds like him alright.. Stanley Townsend (audio samples on the right side of the page)... He also played Patrick Neary in the RTE drama Whistleblower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

NRC Taxi have a new Christmas rap ad.:mad::mad: I won't comment any further on it because I can already feel my blood pressure rising and I don't think I could describe it without veering off into a rant and using excessive amounts of profanity.

Desperate ad. Will never be booking a taxi with them.

Ad on for consumer authority or some other useless consumer quango which starts off with some pesky weassily voice that turns into a supposed stronger shopper. Every 2nd ad these days is a quango

Vodafone xmad voicemail which sounds like somr bloke wishing his boyfriend happy xmas but is a father lesving a message for a small baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The new, politically correct, advert for Bord na Mona briquettes - the gay one - what the fxxxxx are you supposed to tell your kids when it comes on? PS I'm not remotely homophobic but object to homosexuality being pushed as being a normal lifestyle choice in such an insidious way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The new, politically correct, advert for Bord na Mona briquettes - the gay one - what the fxxxxx are you supposed to tell your kids when it comes on? PS I'm not remotely homophobic but object to homosexuality being pushed as being a normal lifestyle choice in such an insidious way.

But...But...:confused:

Sounds like you're a little homophobic...although maybe there was something about the ad? I haven't heard it, what makes it insidious?

C14N wrote: »
    Sounds like you're a little homophobic...although maybe there was something about the ad? I haven't heard it, what makes it insidious?

Not surprising you haven't heard it - I've just remembered it's a new TV Ad! What a silly twat - sorry. :o:o:o

Here it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Huthksvornadh.

Black and decker would have been easier for Dermot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

PS I'm not remotely homophobic but object to homosexuality being pushed as being a normal lifestyle choice in such an insidious way.

You're right. That's not remotely homopohobic. It's right-there-in-front-of-you homophobic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I object to it being pushed as a "lifestyle choice" when there's no concept of choice to it. You're gay or you're not, you don't choose.

If you can't tell your kids that, you're going to have dreadful trouble telling them about lots of other things in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The hybrid English/Irish Bothar ad is really grating.

... agus camel is pulling his weight.

I admire the charity, but its time for them to try something new.

The Vodafone ads are dreadful but they have managed to redeem themselves somewhat with their latest offering. The one where yer man got a present of a 'Dublin Bike Scheme' bike got a laugh out of me. :)

Lapin wrote: »
    The Vodafone ads are dreadful but they have managed to redeem themselves somewhat with their latest offering. The one where yer man got a present of a 'Dublin Bike Scheme' bike got a laugh out of me. :)

He sounded really bitter n angry aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

That bloody aldi advert with the woman "dancing" with the bread on forks :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was driving behind a car yesterday and I noticed it had a Bothair bumper sticker with that cretin 'Goat' sprouting his catchphrase 'Are we there yet?'
    I had to pull off into a layby and have a cigarette to calm my nerves, I must have come very close to having a road rage incident.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭suzzi

bord na mona ad - was sure the daddy was going to drop the tray!..:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

Wertz wrote: »

. Poorly animated characters, with two of the usual RTÉ suspects from the pool of voice actors, the scripts are terrible instead of clearly explaining what saorview is for the benefit of those who need to have it explained (many old people I've talked to through work don't understand what it is), they waffle on about back to front binoculars, celebrity chefs and the like and try to make the ads humourous..
    is there anywhere i can listen back to the Tommy and PJ ad about the binoculars? Think it is the "very sharp indeed Tommy "one. What actors do the voices?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Diving Board

Whats with the 2 f@cking simpletons on the saorview ad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Not really an ad, but the soundbites they play going into and coming out of ad breaks on Ray D'Arcy (The small & mighty ones) wreck my buzz big time...

• Advertisement

Apache pizza happy day, Apache pizza happy day:D:D:D:D

Excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

my bf has a massive Fire log!

PS this is radio ads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Crown paints: "it's not just paint, it's personal" WTF does that mean??? I have to change the radio as soon as I hear that bird's voice on the ad. Urge to kill goes through the roof if not

Promo ads for tom dunne on newstalk

Also agree on the persil things on darcys show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

That Rhinestone Jewellery ad that's been doing the rounds on Newstalk.... "A story to be told, and jewellery to behold". Go piss off with yourself... :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

To be fair, the Small and Mighty soundbites had their moment of glory the day Darcy wore those GAA shorts for the push up challenge.

Not surprising you haven't heard it - I've just remembered it's a new TV Ad! What a silly twat - sorry. :o:o:o

Here it is.

That was actually hilarious, "it's going to be a long night" :D Surprised they get away with it though, especially with David very obviously wearing a scarf inside in a very warm room. Don't have a problem with it myself, although I do notice that any time anything to do with being gay is mentioned in an ad, it's always because dad is going to be shocked at his son being gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

The Hot Press Annual
    The Hot Press Annual
    The Hot Press Annual
    The Hot Press Annual
    The Hot Press Annual
    The Hot Press Annual
    The Hot Press Annual
    The Hot Press Annual

"I can never accept this."
    A very powerful RSA ad IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Newstalk is evidently funded by the National Lottery at this stage. They cannot take a break without playing one of their tediously unfunny adverts. Your chances of winning anything significant is so small they need to compare them to your chance of freak encounters with reindeer, bears, etc. As for the layer-over-layer of tripe that someone would do for a milllion Euros ... stfu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Agreed. All the more so as they are evidently using an actual victim to voice it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭squonk

C14N wrote: »
    That was actually hilarious, "it's going to be a long night" :D Surprised they get away with it though, especially with David very obviously wearing a scarf inside in a very warm room. Don't have a problem with it myself, although I do notice that any time anything to do with being gay is mentioned in an ad, it's always because dad is going to be shocked at his son being gay.

I don't watch enough regular telly to have seen that ad so far, so thanks for the youtube insert. It's just strange. I actually feel sorry for the dad given his son decides to wait til he's got his other half in tow before telling the oul' fella he's on the big pink bus. The ad is offensive for it's general stupidity IMHO!

It is but I hate it.

Its not PC to say this, but I find those road safety ads extremely annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I was driving behind a car yesterday and I noticed it had a Bothair bumper sticker with that cretin 'Goat' sprouting his catchphrase 'Are we there yet?'
    I had to pull off into a layby and have a cigarette to calm my nerves, I must have come very close to having a road rage incident.:D
    Im just trying to figure out, how much Bothar expect to raise by their advertising campaigh as to how much it will cost them to buy that amount of airtime ? Really makes you wonder about the economics of the whole thing, plus having to listen to that bloody goat . PS the goat reminds me of Ray Darcy, dont know why , maybe cause they are both pains in the arse !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Im just trying to figure out, how much Bothar expect to raise by their advertising campaigh as to how much it will cost them to buy that amount of airtime ? Really makes you wonder about the economics of the whole thing, plus having to listen to that bloody goat . PS the goat reminds me of Ray Darcy, dont know why , maybe cause they are both pains in the arse !!!

perhaps their expenses are tax deductable, being a charity.

The Ad for the Leopardstown Inn - the one about the Carousel Bar, Indiana Jones, Marco Polo etc. which seems to be on Newstalk every second ad break. Can the place be as big a kip as the ad makes it sound? Anybody? Wild horses wouldn't drag me in to it.

Repak ads for their new .....................iphone app

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

All this makes me glad I don't listen to Newstalk. I wouldn't know Ray Darcy if he came up and bit me on D'arse.

"Maybe its the economy?" Indeed.

And maybe its not a subject suitable for daytime radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

On newstalk

An ad for some play on in the Gaiety, its revolting.
    Some actress reciting some crap in the worst, (what I assume is Kerry) accent I've ever heard.

I don't want to live on the same planet as this garbage!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement