Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

neris wrote: »
    Mespil hotel are back with another round of tripe. Some bog warrior app developer whos app hasnt actually been launched yet

They haven't learnt a thing have they.

They continue to market the hotel towards people from outside Dublin as a place to stay when visiting the capital.

That makes perfect sense, as its unlikely that people living in Dublin will stay there, and foreign tourists are unlikely to hear the ad.

But its the cak handed clumsy approach they employ to address their potential customers that lets them down.

This unlaunched app crap they are running with now just follows on from the - 'going to Dublin to see one of them mobile phone things - campaign that received wide criticism last year.

The hotel itself is in a great location and it may offer value for money. But as long as these pretentious ads continue, no foot of mine will ever cross the door of the place. And as such, for me, this ad campaign is counter productive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

We have a new contender for worst ad. That active55 rte radio1 ad where the music warp repeats along with the womans voice at the end. Whenever i hear ads like this i think of the apprentice Ireland toe tapping talents!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Lapin wrote: »
    They haven't learnt a thing have they.

They continue to market the hotel towards people from outside Dublin as a place to stay when visiting the capital.

That makes perfect sense, as its unlikely that people living in Dublin will stay there, and foreign tourists are unlikely to hear the ad.

But its the cak handed clumsy approach they employ to address their potential customers that lets them down.

This unlaunched app crap they are running with now just follows on from the - 'going to Dublin to see one of them mobile phone things - campaign that received wide criticism last year.

The hotel itself is in a great location and it may offer value for money. But as long as these pretentious ads continue, no foot of mine will ever cross the door of the place. And as such, for me, this ad campaign is counter productive.

I remember that. There was something like "we can buy an iPhone when we're in Dublin". Where did these people come from exactly where there are no shops that sell phones for miles around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

We have a new contender for worst ad. That active55 rte radio1 ad where the music warp repeats along with the womans voice at the end. Whenever i hear ads like this i think of the apprentice Ireland toe tapping talents!.

I felt like bashing my head repeatedly against the steering wheel in time to the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Sile Seoige on the Credit union adds, HIReland, and Old Mr Brennan adds make me want to drive off a cliff - or at least change station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Heard it today on Newstalk. How do companies think these ads will sell products???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

KerranJast wrote: »
    There's some ad for some baby related crap with some obvious ad voice woman have a breakdown "will I ever get my life back.." blah blah. It's enough when real life parents annoy me with their kid related BS without the radio doing it too.

This patronising crap is really annoying me at the moment. There's 2 of them now, and it's yer one that used to be on fair city doing the voice over. Her saccarine sweet tone of voice is actually more annoying than the ad content which is pure bile anyway. I want to smash the radio when I hear either of the ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

dulpit wrote: »
    Has anyone heard that ad for the Smash-hit Hurling/GAA comedy stage show thing... Why? Why? Why?
    the one with this tagline:

".....you'd be mad to miss it....."

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

Okay, I wanted to kill when I heard the crap on Nova for some pub in Stillorgan "he's only got four things on his mind".

I stopped myself.

Then, we get the NRC ones. The rifle is getting cocked. But no, look it's an advert. Maybe it's not worth it.

But now, I hear the Eurocycles "Oirish" one. It's a ****ing pisstake. They have to die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The posh **** who does all the Newstalk ads advertising jewellery in an even posher voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

This Travel Department Ad has me reaching for gun every time I hear it - the voice, the ****ing voice!!! Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

GRRR...That Seven Seas ad with the skipping record. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

telekon wrote: »
    GRRR...That Seven Seas ad with the skipping record. :mad::mad:
    That got me twice today already, very frustrating ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

That stupid Hireland ad with Sean Moncrieff. Firstly, he pronounces it wonky, and I always assume it's an ad for Rabo Bank... Just had to listen to both the Hireland ad and a Rabo ad back to back, Moncrief overload...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why is the latest 11 8 90 ad all distorted???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

dulpit wrote: »
    That stupid Hireland ad with Sean Moncrieff. Firstly, he pronounces it wonky, and I always assume it's an ad for Rabo Bank... Just had to listen to both the Hireland ad and a Rabo ad back to back, Moncrief overload...

You beat me to it!!

Take 45:
    "Harlend" No Sean, try it again. Tip: It should sound like how unaffected people pronounce "Ireland".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Wintersback. Codliver oil or some such muck.

What a madly, clever, hilarious ad.
    I laughed so much my face hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

RTE:
    The Calender Girls promo adds from Linda 'throat cancer just around the corner' Bellingham.

God I hate that ad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

fryup wrote: »

The first time I heard it I assumed something had gone horribly wrong with the radio station's playout system!

It sounds absolutely awful. I'm not sure what the message they're trying to communicate by using distortion is, but to me it just sounds like they recorded the add off the phone with the microphone in a bucket of water!

"oh Winter's back".... "no I've got Winter's back"..

you'll have winter's jaw if you don't shut up

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Energia (?) ad on Newstalk a minute ago.

Woman at doctors.

Doc - "Ok woman say Ahh"
    Woman - "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

Christ, its more than annoying. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

That taxi ad that is on Newstalk every 20 minutes is really putting me off listening to Newstalk.

that Fiat Ducato ad, ".....theres an image in your bacon....."

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

fryup wrote: »

sounds like it was saved as a very poor quality MP3, perhaps by accident, but i'm very surprised that the stations who received the ad didn't go back to the production company or the client at least. Sounds dreadful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭squonk

I get the impression listening to it that the 11890 ad is meant to sound like a 70's film or TV show. For anyone growing up in the 80's, TV mostly sounded like that. Cinemas had stereo and I can't commend on what cinema was like in the 70's as I'm an 80's kid. The big 'thing' around 87 was Simulcasting where major events were broadcast on TV and also on Radio via stereo so you could watch and enjoy stereo sound. Later of course TV's started getting stereo speakers and audio began to be broadcast in stereo.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

squonk wrote: »
    I get the impression listening to it that the 11890 ad is meant to sound like a 70's film or TV show.

That may have been their aim, but they haven't achieved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Fran1985 wrote: »
    sounds like it was saved as a very poor quality MP3, perhaps by accident, but i'm very surprised that the stations who received the ad didn't go back to the production company or the client at least. Sounds dreadful

Agreed! I thought it was just the one station I heard it on (4FM) but I assume its on other stations like that too? Pretty bad...!

Bard wrote: »
    Agreed! I thought it was just the one station I heard it on (4FM) but I assume its on other stations like that too? Pretty bad...!

From seeing the ad on TV, they're definitely going down the retro route, does sound like pants though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

They wanted the 11890 to sound like "an old kung-fu" show.. but ultimately it just sounds SH1T! But then again, we've all remembered it havent we?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Very true, Cpt. Caveman, but that production wouldn't entice many to use their service either, if it's Directory Enquiries (is it?) then you might be justified in expecting the operators to sound as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That "Whopper Wednesday" Jedward ad for Burger King..... Rage inducing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

The Transland ad with all the crap put-on accents (Italian, bog and English).

Worst ad on the radio. :(

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

That_Guy wrote: »
    That "Whopper Wednesday" Jedward ad for Burger King..... Rage inducing.

Especially when they play it twice on the bounce like they did earlier this morning on d'Arcy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Holy fúck.... Jedward are back promoting another Burger King burger today. :(:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jedward promoting Burger King = more revenue for KFC from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Is Dawn Bradfield the only female voiceover artist working in Ireland at the moment? She seems to be on everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Is Dawn Bradfield the only female voiceover artist working in Ireland at the moment? She seems to be on everything

If you think that's bad, she was narrating Dont Tell The Bride the other night, then voicing a load of ads in the break, and then acting in Father Ted after it..

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

If you think that's bad, she was narrating Dont Tell The Bride the other night, then voicing a load of ads in the break, and then acting in Father Ted after it..

And we used to think that Carrie Crowley had reached saturation point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Someone should tell Liberty Insurance that a sure fire way to irritate us around here is to run the same ad over and over in every ad break!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Someone should tell Liberty Insurance that a sure fire way to irritate us around here is to run the same ad over and over in every ad break![/QUOTE

Have to agree with you,was out for a walk tis morning and it was on every ad break from Ian Dempsey show,must have heard it 8 or 9 times today,so irritating.
    As for the jedward ad,think burger king and jedward should be given a one way ticket to Antarctica,so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

Had 98fm,(god forbid),on in the office today,and there was an ad they've played repeatedly today,and I'm on the verge of going postal.

It's for JEDWARD'Sshow in the olympia in DECEMBER !!!!!

Make it stop,make it stop..................................now !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

A new ad for Irish Pride bread (I think) that went on for about three minutes.

WALOFS.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

That Irish Pride ad absolutely grates on me. As does the VO guy on the Dairygold ad, "butter it, melt it, dollop it" etc, his voice does my nut, it keeps making me want to clear my throat, awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

FBD insurance ad with the high pitched squeaky voice.:mad::mad:

I won't be renewing with them this year because of it.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

FBD insurance ad with the high pitched squeaky voice.:mad::mad:

I won't be renewing with them this year because of it.:D

Awww... the incredible shrinking quote? I thought that was one of the better ones out there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The lotto ad where the girl says she is going to get Sebastian Barrington Fitzpatrick tattooed on her forehead.

At the end of the ad there is a buzzing noise and a little "Ooooh" out of the actress. Am I the only one who isn't thinking tattoo? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Bard wrote: »
    Awww... the incredible shrinking quote? I thought that was one of the better ones out there :)

It makes me want to get a gun and start shooting the place up.... All those FBD ones are tripe... The stupid trumpets, "it'll be either a great quote or a really great quote", "well that's not actually my voice there"... I hope they close down soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Hayles Freight stop apologising for an advert you haven't aired in about two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liberty Ireland is already starting to drive me a bit nuts, not helped by it sponsoring the weather or traffic or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Mr E wrote: »
    Am I the only one who isn't thinking tattoo? :)

For some reason a rabbit keeps popping into my head at that point. Dunno why.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement