Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Absolutely loath that hotel ad that ends "the password's Cheers!". Foxtrot Oscar.

And wtf is "the usual service charge"? I've never come across this before, set room or B&B rate is my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

How did they get Jean Christophe Novelli to do that stupid Supervalu ad...

"Bon Appetit"
    "C'est Magnifique"

a few tokens French sayings, he sounds like Delboy with his "mange tout"..

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Absolutely loath that hotel ad that ends "the password's Cheers!". Foxtrot Oscar.

And wtf is "the usual service charge"? I've never come across this before, set room or B&B rate is my experience.

Yeah, heard that again today for the first time in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I really want to hate it because I hear it so much but the latest McDonalds ad is so cute I can't. Whoever they got to play the little girl is great. Sounds really natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

KerranJast wrote: »
    I really want to hate it because I hear it so much but the latest McDonalds ad is so cute I can't. Whoever they got to play the little girl is great. Sounds really natural.

Seriously??? It makes me want to bludgeon them both to death with a dead badger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ray houghton doing the harvey norman ads. Big let down especially his go harvey attempt in a dodgy accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's got to be the cheapest radio ad ever made and it's running for years. It's like a radio version of the Londis TV ad for Marrowfat peas that was out in the early 1970's - a TV ad with no movement in it whatsover! Cheap, cheap, cheap. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It's got to be the cheapest radio ad ever made and it's running for years. It's like a radio version of the Londis TV ad for Marrowfat peas that was out in the early 1970's - a TV ad with no movement in it whatsover! Cheap, cheap, cheap. :D

Yeah, it's clearly the owner of the place deciding that, no, I'm not going to pay for some voice actor, pffff, sure what can they do that I can't? Ten takes later... what do you mean it's shiite? It sounds good enough to me! We're running out of studio time - it's grand, sure who's going to pick holes in an ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

That ad sounds so pretentious, and I agree with the above poster about the "usual service charge". Sounds like a right ripoff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Apache pizza, happy days. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    If they have ANY professional respect for the service they provide to their clients, the ad agency behind the new Berkley Court ad (located on the 'infamous' Lansdowne Road .....) Should summarily dismiss whoever on their staff was responsible for that gaffe.

Why is Lansdowne Road 'infamous'? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

"Yodel ay ee oo yodel, yodel..., Thats the sound of a happy Zurich insurance customer....."

I think the happy customer would sound more appealing trying to yodel whilst hurtling head first towards the ground after being fúcked out of an alpine cable car one thousand feet above a remote Swiss halting site.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

el diablo wrote: »
    Those Supervalu ads with that stupid ****ing "Say Hello" song. :mad::(:rolleyes:

Ditto, its Sooooooooo $%^%^%&ing annoying

glad to hear i'm not the only one out there that has issues with this ad,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Kia Rio advert.

Out of all the cars they seen this year the motoring experts voted it Car of the Year, why?

"Because its the best".

Now me, you and Kia all know this is not true.

It may have been the best value for the common man, but its certainly not the best. It wasn't better than the latest Jag, or a pile of BMWs, or Audi's or the Lexus or Range Rover ...... I could go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

The 'Eat City' ad with their 'office choir'. Jesus Christ, who the hell thought of that out of tune, un-inspired jingle? The whole concept of the ad is just nuts. I turn the radio off when I hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

The Brennan's bread ads with some post-Tiger bint gushing about her wonderful kids (undoubtedly called Fiachra and Oisín) eating "good honest food", because non-bread based meals are patently dishonest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

"Mash, not the sitcom but the much loved comfort food..."

This line is what makes me irrationally pissed off at this ad. When did some squished spuds become "comfort food"? Always seemed like one of the most basic foods going. It's the kind your mammy brings up when she talks about how "back in the day, all we got for dinner was bacon and cabbage with mash".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    If yer headin' for Clonsilla or a southside villa ........................
    Rotten... :mad:

Plus Eden restaurant and Hot Press with bloody Roisin what's-her-name.. I hate her voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

There is something distasteful about the current Concern ad appealing for donations for Haiti.
    Instead of a straightforward appeal, they have spliced the recording so that the person speaking "doesn't come up for air" with one sentence almost overlapping the end of the previous sentence.
    Why resort to such gimmicks? I find it more off-putting than "appealing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I have to put my hands over my ears for a few seconds when I know the 'Liberdee Inshurans' ad coming on after the news on 2fm. Fúcking hate that annoying accent. How did they let this shìte on the radio. Its like poison being poured into your ears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

NIMAN wrote: »
    The Kia Rio advert.

Nah, The Hyundai one is even better.

If you think you know Shytundai, think again. They're even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

coonecb1 wrote: »
    Why is Lansdowne Road 'infamous'? :confused:

It isnt. Thats whats so amateurish about the ad.

They obviously meant to say "the famous Lansdowne Road".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

The one I hate most at the moment in playing practically non stop during Off The Ball - for a promotion Carlsberg are running where you get your photo scanned onto some giant flag they are bringing over to Poland for the Euros.

Is that Mick on the telly? He must be in Poland.
    He cant be.
    Why not?
    Because Mick's over there, with my Carlsberg.

The first guy sounds like his voice was in the act of breaking on the very day they recorded.

This has to be a case of deliberately making an annoying ad just so the product sticks in the listeners mind, notwithstanding people hating it. As opposed to a bland ad that consumers forget in an instant. Actually the same could be said for many of the ads mentioned on this thread. These marketing geniuses, eh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That Corona Extra ad which keeps playing the rift to 'Dancing in the moonlight' I actually like the song but I don't like the way its used in that ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Dirigent wrote: »
    Nah, The Hyundai one is even better.

If you think you know Shytundai, think again. They're even worse.

Very true. And his pronunciation of "Hyundai" is totally wrong. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Pat Shortt ads for some insurance company are very grating. I's kinda sad to see Pat having to prostitute himself out like this. However I suppose the comedy bookings dried up in recent years when people discovered he was a bit of a one trick pony who was never that funny in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

The Pat Shortt ads for some insurance company are very grating. I's kinda sad to see Pat having to prostitute himself out like this. However I suppose the comedy bookings dried up in recent years when people discovered he was a bit of a one trick pony who was never that funny in the first place.

Agreed. I switch over ever time I hear that ad. So ****ing annoying.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The really annoying Tesco Ads with Terry Wogan Marty Whelan - surely he doesn't need the money.

Sorry Marks & Spencer but the day your new website launches isnt the day ive been waiting for and no i wont be popping any champagne corks. Now f*** off back to London with your pretentious ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

DuckStab wrote: »
    The Brennan's bread ads with some post-Tiger bint gushing about her wonderful kids (undoubtedly called Fiachra and Oisín) eating "good honest food", because non-bread based meals are patently dishonest.

yes very annoying , doesnt the aul dub fella say somethign like "naturally low in fat and sugars"??? WTF :(:mad::(
    isnt that like putting "Dolphin Friendly" on a tin of Beans???
    Seriously what are these AD people thinking of????

The TV verison is equally as uber annoying too, channel flicked, nuff said.

There is something in brennans bread (White one in the ad) that absolutely kills me with heartburn - so i never nerver eat it.
    T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Super valu have ruined that Martin Solveig - Hello song for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

that dairy gold add, where your man, talking like he is out of breath, going on about mash being a comfort food, and to add a big chunk of dairy gold to it....christ, who thinks mash is (A) nice, and (B) a comfort food.

really hate his accent too......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All the adverts for Soarview esp the one which is actually a "sneaky" ad for SKY.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Live music updates on RTE Radio One.
    HII LAAAHHHVVE YEEUUUUUUUUUUU, HII LAAAAHHHVE YEEEEEUUUUUUUUU

It's like Neil Diamond never existed!

mike65 wrote: »
    All the adverts for Soarview esp the one which is actually a "sneaky" ad for SKY.

The new 1 with Pjs mum is pathetic & cringeworthy

heard a brutal one on nova this morning for one of those pallet/freight companies advertising their rates to mainland europe. they had that twat pat courtney doing dodgy french spansih and italian accents. is there no level of cringeworthiness that man wont stoop down to

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Those TV licence ads always bring a smile to my face.
    Y'know the ones with the Cork chap who sings to his licence
    (pay youself, pay yourself) or wants to pay it through the power of Feng Shui, or the one where he keeps thinking about paying it
    (ok, I'm thinking bout paying it now) or lately he's intoning hymns
    to it.
    Classy, humorous ads, (not sure if they'll make people pay though...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I think that's a bit unfair in the light of his performance in Garage, which showed a different side to him.

I had to laugh as well one day on hearing that ad... I must have heard it 10 times before I realised there was the sound of cattle in the background... birds singing too! I must be simple in the head, but it still cracks me up! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Those TV licence ads always bring a smile to my face.
    Y'know the ones with the Cork chap who sings to his licence
    (pay youself, pay yourself) or wants to pay it through the power of Feng Shui, or the one where he keeps thinking about paying it
    (ok, I'm thinking bout paying it now) or lately he's intoning hymns
    to it.
    Classy, humorous ads, (not sure if they'll make people pay though...)

I quite like some of the ads, but the signing one is awful. Any ad with your "typical" cork accent bugs the bejesus out of me, why do they overdo it so much?

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    I quite like some of the ads, but the signing one is awful. Any ad with your "typical" cork accent bugs the bejesus out of me, why do they overdo it so much?

I'm actually down in Cork for a few days at the moment, and after hearing some of the locals in a pub here last night, I'm beginning to think the ads are quite tame by comparison. :o

Coilte...... Why the f do they need to adverise? To justify to the public why they need a huge budget for next year. AS if quangos don't waste enough money these lumberjacks go wasting money on unnecessary advertising

neris wrote: »
    Coilte...... Why the f do they need to adverise? To justify to the public why they need a huge budget for next year. AS if quangos don't waste enough money these lumberjacks go wasting money on unnecessary advertising

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I too was a bit surprised to hear them advertising.. Seems to me it's more about telling us how brilliant they are, so that they wont be privatised..

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but I too was a bit surprised to hear them advertising.. Seems to me it's more about telling us how brilliant they are, so that they wont be privatised..

i wasnt thinking about them getting privatised i was thinking how they were saying they cant get a ceo for the pay pack they offer and maybe this was some way of them saying look at the "important" work we do so we need an expensive ceo for all that "important" work

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

The Kahlsbug ads for Yoo-woe 2012.

The official sponsaw of the Eye-wish team.

neris wrote: »
    i wasnt thinking about them getting privatised i was thinking how they were saying they cant get a ceo for the pay pack they offer

ok I see your point.. It's kind of funny though, when I hear that ad all I think of in my mind is "Coillte.... A great bunch of lads".. :pac:

That damned Zurich ad REALLY starting to annoy... That's it, I'm moving to Newstalk ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

ok I see your point.. It's kind of funny though, when I hear that ad all I think of in my mind is "Coillte.... A great bunch of lads".. :pac:

That damned Zurich ad REALLY starting to annoy... That's it, I'm moving to Newstalk ..

I'm not sure whether Zurich do banking or insurance or what, all I know is that I don't want to give them money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Marathon sports ads. The current one's they're running to try and whip up band wagoners to go to the Heineken Cup final are cringe worthy, full of cliches and contrived 'passion'. The guy reading it sounds like he is constipated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

The current RSA ad directed towards farmers etc., the voice over says.

"If you drive a tractor you must hold a licence"

Its bad enough with them holding mobile phones...............;)

pretentious celtic tiger D4 ad for the cliff house with two wags going on about cocktails and sea food platters

That guy on the Marathon Sports ad should get off the toilet before telling others to feel the passion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement