Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

It takes the form of an ad. offering an position of employment as a sex worker, with details of type of applicant sought and future prospects-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Some bank ad.

Oh my gosh, we're having a baby.

Who the fúck says gosh?! This isn't 50's America ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Coriolanus wrote: »
    Some bank ad.

Agreed, it's on the telly too... Wrecks my buzz... And also any ad for the Gaiety... They must spend a fortune on advertising..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭squonk

Some bank ad.

She sounds like a cylon with a low battery! The ad is stupid in the way it's structured. Her: 'Oh my gosh! We're having a baby', Him: 'So, I thought it was about time, started a saving account and bought a ring'. My interpretation: ****e, I've just knocked her up, I suppose I'm stuck with her now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

tesco; marty whelan; baseball bat-
    kitchen strewn with radio fragments-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

MarkHitide wrote: »

And then you have to go to Tesco to replace what you smashed.

Very good advertising on tesco's part lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Theres an ad currently running on Newstalk for a car parts store, I think its called Jims Garage or Daves Garage??

Its very hard to understand your man reading it as he speaks like an inner city drug dealer. At the end of it he belches into the microphone, yeah thats right belches.:confused:

Who the hell comes up with this kind of tripe?

I actually like that ad, it's funny :o

(And I'm usually hyper-critical of radio ads)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I hate all Tesco ads due to my hatred of all things Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

The current radio for Ruhama.ie; tasteless.

Yeah, what got me about that one was she said something along the lines of "nobody choose a life in prostitution". That got me thinking that that can't be true. There are plenty of countries where prostitution is legal and regulated, there have to be some girls who think to themselves "this is the job for me!". Heck, even in Ireland there have to be a few who just decided to do it.
    squonk wrote: »
    Her: 'Oh my gosh! We're having a baby', Him: 'So, I thought it was about time, started a saving account and bought a ring'. My interpretation: ****e, I've just knocked her up, I suppose I'm stuck with her now :)

Lol, exactly what I was thinking when I heard it.
    Some bank ad.

Their acting is terrible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

There is one for Harris for heating just now (mabye only on Nova)
    sounds like a couple reading the newspaper but the guy is trying to tell the woman about a deal but he keeps pausing between every word! uhh Harris uhh for uhh heating uhh boiler uhhhhh service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Barnardos ad. I'll hold what I was going to say, but aargh. Actually have to turn the radio off till its over now, lest I change channel and find its on there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭squonk

Not sure if it's national but there's an ad on Clare FM for the ISPCC I think it is. Starts off with a kid saying something like 'Nobody likes me. I'm annoying and a pain in the arse...' which is all well and good and you're thinking 'poor kid' but then he somehow morphs into a US kid judging by his accent when he goes 'and I can't take a punch either. I take it like a gurl, a whiney liddle gurl'. If the ad went on any longer I'd expect to hear 'Aw geez coach, put me up to bat! I'm sure gonna do my best for ya!'. Where did they get this fella? We're 4,000 miles from the nearest part of the US/Canada so why his accent is like that I don't know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Not sure if it's national but there's an ad on Clare FM for the ISPCC I think it is. Starts off with a kid saying something like 'Nobody likes me. I'm annoying and a pain in the arse...' which is all well and good and you're thinking 'poor kid' but then he somehow morphs into a US kid judging by his accent when he goes 'and I can't take a punch either. I take it like a gurl, a whiney liddle gurl'. If the ad went on any longer I'd expect to hear 'Aw geez coach, put me up to bat! I'm sure gonna do my best for ya!'. Where did they get this fella? We're 4,000 miles from the nearest part of the US/Canada so why his accent is like that I don't know!

its a national tv and radio campaign. can be a bit hard hitting but usually alot of those ads are

I thought it was quite effective, particularly the part about taking a punch. When I was about 10, admitting to feeling pain if someone punched you was a sign of extreme weakness, which is ridiculous.

I liked the ad for some bank (can't remember which one but it wasn't one of the traditional Irish banks). Started out with a woman saying "I'm starving" and her husband/boyfriend says "Well you know what you'll get from me" before rhyming off some fancy meals. A voiceover says "it's always nice to be pleasantly surprised" and introduces some sort of account with a special interest rate they have. Kind of made me laugh, although I guess I just liked it because it actually made the point and wasn't horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

It really p*sses me off how we've completely surrendered control of the English language to the Americans, and how unquestioningly we imitate their words and pronunciations.

There's one ad that really gets me, it's of a child struggling with his abc's, and he pronounces the letter Z as 'Zee' rather than 'Zed.'

Happens on two separate occasions in the same ad.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

"You're thinking, there goes my bonus."

No, I'm thinking 'there goes my radio' after I hurl it across the kitchen.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    "You're thinking, there goes my bonus."

No, I'm thinking 'there goes my radio' after I hurl it across the kitchen.

I'm thinking "that company has such ridiculous deadlines, a paid-for clone of Google Docs really won't help much", and then throwing the radio away after I hear it for the 50th time that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

The Barry's teeeeeeeaaaaaa ads are back again with their cloying sentimentality.

I'm sure he's a lovely bloke, but if I never hear Ray Houghton mangling vowels again, it will be too soon.

coonecb1 wrote: »
    It really p*sses me off how we've completely surrendered control of the English language to the Americans, and how unquestioningly we imitate their words and pronunciations.

There's one ad that really gets me, it's of a child struggling with his abc's, and he pronounces the letter Z as 'Zee' rather than 'Zed.'

Happens on two separate occasions in the same ad.

It's always been Zee for me. Zed always seemed to bring the thing to a horrible, baseball-bat-to-the-head close. Zee rhymes with Vee.

C14N wrote: »
    I thought it was quite effective, particularly the part about taking a punch. When I was about 10, admitting to feeling pain if someone punched you was a sign of extreme weakness, which is ridiculous.

I liked the ad for some bank (can't remember which one but it wasn't one of the traditional Irish banks). Started out with a woman saying "I'm starving" and her husband/boyfriend says "Well you know what you'll get from me" before rhyming off some fancy meals. A voiceover says "it's always nice to be pleasantly surprised" and introduces some sort of account with a special interest rate they have. Kind of made me laugh, although I guess I just liked it because it actually made the point and wasn't horrible.

KBC Bank if I'm not mistaken...

There's an ad for comfort keepers or something, the one where a woman says something like "sometimes dad forgets to take his medicine, and I don't have the time to look after him". Make the time, he's your bloody father you selfish cow.. :mad:

• Advertisement

national fish and chips day today apparently just heard their brutal ad on pat kenny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

neris wrote: »
    national fish and chips day today apparently just heard their brutal ad on pat kenny.

And every ad break on Newstalk since. :(

As much as I like fish n' chips, I think I'll wait till Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Visit Carlow "Just say Catherine sent you!". Ugh she tilts the bejebus out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

dulpit wrote: »

There's an ad for comfort keepers or something, the one where a woman says something like "sometimes dad forgets to take his medicine, and I don't have the time to look after him". Make the time, he's your bloody father you selfish cow.. :mad:

Yeah that ad is really annoying,she sounds like a real posh bitch and her dad is only an inconvenience to her:(

I know she is only an actress but annoying none the less:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

I emailed the company concerned (myhomecare.ie) to complain about the ad.

To their credit, I got a polite response apologising for any offence caused, which they say is of course unintentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Marathon Sports have an ad out for travel packages to Wimbledon at the moment.

'The fresh cut grass, the most pretigious lawn courts in the world', FEEL THE HISTORY, FEEL THE PASSION, RAWWR!!!! :rolleyes:

Do you know if I was going to buy a package to Wimbledon I'd choose a different company purely on the basis that Marathon Sports advertising campaigns have been bugging the hell out of me for too dam long at this stage.

Marathon Sports have an ad out for travel packages to Wimbledon at the moment.

'The fresh cut grass, the most pretigious lawn courts in the world', FEEL THE HISTORY, FEEL THE PASSION, RAWWR!!!! :rolleyes:

Do you know if I was going to buy a package to Wimbledon I'd choose a different company purely on the basis that Marathon Sports advertising campaigns have been bugging the hell out of me for too dam long at this stage.

Ah give poor Wimbledon a break.

They've had a rough time of it in recent years

Vinnie Jones fecked off to the lure of the silver screen.
    A bunch of celtic tiger fat cats tried to uproot them to Dublin.
    But they got lucky and ended up in Milton Keynes as the MK Dons instead.

..................................................:pac:............;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lapin wrote: »
    Ah give poor Wimbledon a break.

They've had a rough time of it in recent years

Vinnie Jones fecked off to the lure of the silver screen.
    A bunch of celtic tiger fat cats tried to uproot them to Dublin.
    But they got lucky and ended up in Milton Keynes as the MK Dons instead.

..................................................:pac:............;)

At least the supporters club AFC Wimbledon are back in the football league. Don't worry a new breed of The crazy gang will ride again. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

Every second ad on the radio that seems to be voiced by Fair City actors.

• Advertisement

^^^

Its what they do in their spare time, when they're not driving taxis. ;)

creepy ad for netflix where the voice tells the kids hes not their daddy but their mommy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am currently wondering how blatantly erroneous adverts are allowed to be aired by the Advertising Regulator (if there is one).

I think there's an ad for eMobile at present which uses the term "at last a truly unlimited mobile service".

Now call me old-fashioned but for me using the terms in BOLD means that it should be totally unlimited.

And then at the end of the advert they say "fair usage policy applies".

For me, this is plain old false advertising.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am currently wondering how blatantly erroneous adverts are allowed to be aired by the Advertising Regulator (if there is one).

I think there's an ad for eMobile at present which uses the term "at last a truly unlimited mobile service".

Now call me old-fashioned but for me using the terms in BOLD means that it should be totally unlimited.

And then at the end of the advert they say "fair usage policy applies".

For me, this is plain old false advertising.

Fair usage applies, but to be fair to emobile they're pretty damn generous with their fair usage, it's set at:

45,000 minutes, 10,000 texts and 15GB of data.

There are 44,640 minutes in a 31 day month, so no issue there.
    10,000 texts works out at 13.4 texts an hour, every hour of every day of a 31 day month.
    And 15GB is just generous.

And if you go over your call (impossible) or text (pretty damn hard) allowance they charge you an out-of-charge fee of €0.00 per minute/text. They do, however, charge €1 per 50MB over the 15GB. So there is that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

dulpit

Not complaining whether their 'fair usage' policy is good or not.

But if you are going to tell people you are offering Ireland's first truly unlimited package, then the words 'fair usage' shouldn't come into it. End of.

Fair usage applies, but to be fair to emobile they're pretty damn generous with their fair usage, it's set at:

45,000 minutes, 10,000 texts and 15GB of data.

There are 44,640 minutes in a 31 day month, so no issue there.
    10,000 texts works out at 13.4 texts an hour, every hour of every day of a 31 day month.
    And 15GB is just generous.

And if you go over your call (impossible) or text (pretty damn hard) allowance they charge you an out-of-charge fee of €0.00 per minute/text. They do, however, charge €1 per 50MB over the 15GB. So there is that.

The only thing I could think of that's a problem is the data. The first two seem basically unlimited as it is but 15GB of data could be easily used up if you use it as a primary internet device in a good area. They could have made it a lot higher too as 3's unlimited data is at something like 3700GB.

I'm tired of hearing eircom Musichub ads. Yes eircom, I do like organising my CD collection, stop judging me. The service is no replacement for having a real collection.

Also Lyon's tea ads:
    A: "Master Blender, how do you get the tea to taste so rich?"
    B: "Well it's depressing"
    A: "I understand, it's a mystery"
    B: "No, it's the pressing"

Ugh, hate hearing that. What does a mystery even have to do with being depressing? And then we get the line "a taste that's richer than...that rich fella who own's the internet!". ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

''Hi, Kathryn Thomas from Carlow here...''

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Aoife1979

That fecking ad on RTE radio 1 for the tv license. The one where the gob****e sings pay yourself. Wish he he would piss off he can't sing.

Ah I love that Ad! And thats the whole point, he's not supposed to be singing well. That's what makes it Funnier!!!

Heard one for meteor about euro 2012 with some put on female European accent from the voice over. When you listen to it, it's one of the regular voice over actresses

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mega Buddy

The ad for Bord Gais Energy. Have no idea who the female on the ad is, but she certainly can not pronounce the word 'energy'. She says enegy! Truly frustrating.

I think it was an Axa ad I heard this morning where the girl in the ad used the word "tousand" instead of "thousand" and "tree hundred" instead of "three hundred". Sounded quite unprofessional for a big insurance company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

^^Heard it as well... cringe.

mario rosenstock deserves a boot in the hole for his latest offering trying to tell us how fantastic "the power" of radio advertising is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"They're the Irish (and listen to more crap ads than anyone else)"! :mad:

How long that ad is going to last with "cream crackers" in it, I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Drackedie

I think it was an Axa ad I heard this morning where the girl in the ad used the word "tousand" instead of "thousand" and "tree hundred" instead of "three hundred". Sounded quite unprofessional for a big insurance company.
    Yup, that one is one of the many currently doing my head in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Drackedie

3 ads this morning making me cringe/want to kill the radio:

The Pharmaton one where your one sings "wob bom a loo bop... got a man named Jay-Z..". This ad drives me crazy - as does the other Pharmaton one with singing in it (can't remember the song, now).

The Volkswagen "take a deep breath and relax..." ad. Aarrgghh!!

The Lotto ads, in particular the one where she is going to smother herself in honey and go around the rockies making mating noises. Come to think of it, the "ready, theady" Lotto ad with they guy walking on coals does my head in too...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

i dont get this ad at all, not really annoying me yet but I fear it will, when the (Presume she's american) buts in and says MAXOL, MAXOL,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

That annoying one about stray cats on Newstalk.
    Spay me, please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

But we also comlain when other companies use professional voice over artists claiming to be joe public or their employees (think FBD for example), so hard to win on that one!!

She does drop the ball a few times but starts out fairly well IIRC, and I dont really mind it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

tommytee wrote: »
    i dont get this ad at all, not really annoying me yet but I fear it will, when the (Presume she's american) buts in and says MAXOL, MAXOL,

Jesus I heard that ad yesterday and felt like ripping the radio out of the dashboard and fcuking it out onto the M9 at 120 km/h. What are they trying, some sort of Phoebe/American hippy chick vibe? :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement