Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

But we also comlain when other companies use professional voice over artists claiming to be joe public or their employees (think FBD for example), so hard to win on that one!!

She does drop the ball a few times but starts out fairly well IIRC, and I dont really mind it now!

I generally prefer to just have a decent, well spoken actor who doesn't explicitly pretend to be anything else.

Another example of getting "real" people in was that awful AIB one with the "Oh. My. Gosh we're going to have a baby" and the lad opening a savings account to buy her a ring. Some people just aren't able to talk on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Manhattam popcorn.... Yer one that goes ''eughh a nice packet of popcorn and a soft drink. What the hell is the deal with that grunty urgh noise she makes before she starts wittering on about packet of popcorn making life GRAND.... All I hear in that ad is her URGHH' noise!!! Ahhh damn you spin1038 for always playing that ad..

Also Craig Doyle feck off and get a more meaningful career I will never EVER buy anything you endorse AND you almost ruined my viewing of the IOM TT on ITV with your crappy leathrt jacket and no knowledge whatsoever about superbikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The "soft drink" woman in that ad just confirmed to me that it was put together by the staff of either the first station to carry it; or Manhattan themselves, pretending to be members of the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maxol:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

AXA
    ''four tausand''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is it me or do RTÉ play an ad for the latest play in the Gaiety all the bloody time??? Their entertainment updates (as they call them) should be renamed Gaiety updates... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Your having a mare buddy.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

A pox on the house of everyone involved in the ads for Mick's Garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

dulpit wrote: »
    Is it me or do RTÉ play an ad for the latest play in the Gaiety all the bloody time??? Their entertainment updates (as they call them) should be renamed Gaiety updates... :mad:
    Yeah! and every show has an 'all-star' cast....wtf:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

haven't seen the 48 (Go Conquer etc) radio ads mentioned here.

i'm not into advertising or anything but they started off real slick, i was quite impressed by how bold and exciting the initial TV and radio ad was.

then they brought out the radio ad with the girl slagging off the guy about his MILF and him slaggin her about getting her number off the jacks door bla bla bla. Yer wan also proudly announces that she's so 'wild and crazy' that ....get this..."she's given her number out before KNOWING THAT THE DIGITS WERE WRONG!!!" - u can't get crazier than that folks!

Jaysus fookin wept...

- the humour and dialogue is pathetic drivel, you couldn't get worse if you were trying to take the piss. not funny, original or remotely acceptable
    - yer wan's american accent is deplorable

how do they get away with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does anyone else think there is just one mention of the word 'Coupe' too much in the latest Hyundai radio advert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Those Kildare Village ads make me want to throw the radio across the room. In fact, all the Kildare Village ads make me want to destroy something.

Absolute Celtic Tiger shyte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I've had this PPI award winning ad on audio cassette since it came out in 1996. At long last, thanks to my eight year old, here it is for your delectation - shades of the Guinness Island Ad with the ticking clock. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭squonk

I heard the Maxol ad yesterday. I had no idea what it was about til the girl shouted MAXOL at me. It's a bit of a mess really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ArsenalChap101

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Those Kildare Village ads make me want to throw the radio across the room. In fact, all the Kildare Village ads make me want to destroy something.

Agreed terrible ad - Golfers Knee! Too long standing in the dole queue; just call it as it is

That AXA ad is the pits too... couldn't they have given her some English lessons to get that 'th' pronunciation right?

Ah My first post on Boards and its about radio ads ! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

The "What would I give for a million Euro" ads.

Seriously annoying at this stage.

I mean, we get it, it's a million Euro. We all want a million Euro.

You don't have to make ads to explain to us that a million Euro is a good thing :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That wan on the Axa insurance ad with her turty tree and a turds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

mike65 wrote: »
    That wan on the Aviva insurance ad with her turty tree and a turds...

"Tree tousand euros... apply by June turtiet"

Makes me cringe every time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Fuppin Mrs Brown and his '2 will do' ad complete with that irritating laugh that is supposed to be comedy in itself. Jesus it makes me want to weep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

optogirl wrote: »
    Fuppin Mrs Brown and his '2 will do' ad complete with that irritating laugh that is supposed to be comedy in itself. Jesus it makes me want to weep.

Agree 100% what a shïte ad, is the thinking behind all these ad's to make them so annoying that they get embedded in our brains like 1890 2222222222222 one. But this "2 will do" is by far the worst. I have heard it twice now, so that will do, get it off!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

That wan on the Axa insurance ad with her turty tree and a turds...

Axa are setting new standards (but not in the proper use of the English language) according to the advert. Poor girl, I'm beginning to wonder are we all being a bit hard on her and she actually has a serious speech impediment? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

squonk wrote: »
    I heard the Maxol ad yesterday. I had no idea what it was about til the girl shouted MAXOL at me. It's a bit of a mess really.

I cannot think why this ad is on the radio.
    Fuels you can trust? As opposed to those other fuels which are flaky and liable to let you down, right?
    And then the weird hippy-dippy singalong style that makes it sound like a Sesame Street jingle. Because the customer feels like a muppet every time he or she has to fill up at the pumps?
    Erm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That ad for radio advertising: "they like Taytos, they haysh bogball, they refer to machines as 'she', they drink sweet tay with milk..."

I was intrigued the first time (what's this ad for...) but now that I've heard it more than once it has really started to grate!

Hale's Freight. Black & Yellow... When did they ever have an ad with the black and yellow in it even????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Some ads on Radio Nova:

McGowans pub: men have only four things on their mind... :rolleyes:

Hard Rock Cafe: the one that talks about John Bon Jovi's "buns". :mad:

There's a few more but I can't think of them at the moment.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Hale's Freight. Black & Yellow... When did they ever have an ad with the black and yellow in it even????

Black & Yellow Black & Yellow Black & Yellow Black & Yellow Black & Yellow.......:D

Do you not remember that, they even made a follow up ad to apologise for the public outrage it caused. :pac:

Black & Yellow Black & Yellow Black & Yellow Black & Yellow Black & Yellow.......:D

Do you not remember that, they even made a follow up ad to apologise for the public outrage it caused. :pac:

No I don't remember it at all... How long ago are we talking about?

No I don't remember it at all... How long ago are we talking about?

Pretty much 2003-2011 from what I remember anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

That annoying one for radio advertising done in the stupid "local" voices and dialects.
    We come across as fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

el diablo wrote: »
    Some ads on Radio Nova:
    The one's on Nova that do it for me are the one for the company that will ship a pallet anywhere with those stupid accents and the Hydroponic ad that sounds like it's V'O'd by a child.
    Wasn't too keen on their taxi ad's either but at least they change them every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

That annoying one for radio advertising done in the stupid "local" voices and dialects.
    We come across as fools.

ditto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

A new ad for Heinz with two mountain men/boggers waffling on about... I'm not too sure what. :confused:

Anyway, it's a crap ad.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

We come across as fools.

I actually like them (I think there's two versions doing the rounds) and think they're clever, my only complaint is they're on all the damn time.

We come across as fools.

Yeah I kind of cringe listening to that. I know I shouldn't, we all speak with our own unique Irish accents and thats great, but I just keep imagining big Gombeen Leprechaun heads when I hear it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

when your out on the raz or heading down to your ma's

but i know there number so must work,

lookitsme wrote: »
    when your out on the raz or heading down to your ma's

but i know there number so must work,

Going for something to ate or on a first blind date. :D

Its as annoying as ever but like you say it sticks in the mind, I know the number off by heart as well. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"They're the Irish (and listen to more crap ads than anyone else)"! :mad:
    fricatus wrote: »
    That ad for radio advertising: "they like Taytos, they haysh bogball, they refer to machines as 'she', they drink sweet tay with milk..."

I was intrigued the first time (what's this ad for...) but now that I've heard it more than once it has really started to grate!
    We come across as fools.
    Yakuza wrote: »
    I actually like them (I think there's two versions doing the rounds) and think they're clever, my only complaint is they're on all the damn time.
    Yeah I kind of cringe listening to that. I know I shouldn't, we all speak with our own unique Irish accents and thats great, but I just keep imagining big Gombeen Leprechaun heads when I hear it. :o

The Mick Heaney in the IT has also noticed!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2012/0623/1224318494376.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Vodafone ad about its double credit.
    What they think is good ''double dip in the sea'' ''double header''? What... Really, that's the best you could come up with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

We come across as fools.

I think it's aimed at past FF voters

• Advertisement

We come across as fools.

But we ARE fools. I mean, look at the calibre of people we choose to represent us.

Sometimes I look at them and think "4 million of us and THAT's the best we can do??":confused:

Foxhound38 wrote: »

It seems that nobody knows what Kildare Villiage actually do, which I suppose you could blame on the crap ads. They're not in any way "Celtic Tiger". Their business is taking unsold stock from the high street stores and selling it at a lower price. It's like a big TK Maxx. They're probably doing better now than they did during the Celtic Tiger, since people can't afford this stuff from the normal shops as much.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    The one's on Nova that do it for me are the one for the company that will ship a pallet anywhere with those stupid accents and the Hydroponic ad that sounds like it's V'O'd by a child.

The Nova one that gets me at the moment is where Pat Courtney is shouting his head off and making a poor attempt at impersonating an American drill sergeant. I have no idea what it's for, I just remember the European cup and Croatians being mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Anyone hear that "Scrappatoni" ad by Renault, the one where the guy shouts "Ah will ya just stop!"
    Hopefully it'll cease broadcasting when the Euro championship is finished on Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

That radio ad about how to pay your tv licence :mad:
    Go compare ad, your man had to go into hiding after making it :D
    Most UK tv ads usually have some fat idiot in a leotard jumping around like a fool :rolleyes: Great way to put people off the product you are advertising :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

That Sudocrem ad to take a picture of baby
    not take a picture of YOUR baby drives me mad.

Also Doonbeg Lodge ads, its like someone died, the same with their tv ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Ruff says flaherty

ootbitb wrote: »
    I think it's aimed at past FF voters

Most annoying ad I've heard in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

HALES FREIGHT must be felling the pinch.

They only have about 8 annoying ads per hour these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

awful voiceover on the Sligo Tourism advert. Sounds like Rachel Allen on some very moorish crack cocaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The ad with that eejit Dom Jolly promoting a 'Carcation'. In no way would that ad ever make me want to go on the ferry. It takes 3 and a half hours to get from Rosslare to Fishguard, it's about 50 miles or so.

Has anyone heard the ad on the radio for some sort of undertakers? I just found it really weird that there are ads for this sort of thing on the radio...

MJ23 wrote: »
    The ad with that eejit Dom Jolly promoting a 'Carcation'. In no way would that ad ever make me want to go on the ferry. It takes 3 and a half hours to get from Rosslare to Fishguard, it's about 50 miles or so.

I hate the way he tries to sell it as being some sort of luxury voyage on a great ocean liner. Its a bloody car ferry Dom FFS. :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement