Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gloveworm

Is the goat not a billy goat? Why is he talking about giving milk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gloveworm

I find that latest ad "I tell her what to wear, and sometimes I need to get physical" extremely offensive... With the instruction that I'm not really a man if I have to hit a woman... How do they get away with this sh1te?.. oh right cos they are a shower of man hating, bleeding hearts..

That ad is a bit Fair City in its approach to domestic violence, super subtle alright. :rolleyes:

Controlling and abusive partners (male and female) are rarely that forthcoming and self-aware about their manipulation and aggression.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Is that Bothar Goat yer man Neil Delamare...???:confused:
    (Not the Trocaire Goat!)

Are there 2 goat ads? The super annoying ‘Are we there yet? Are we there yet?’ one that we all know and hate. And a second one about a ‘milk making machine’. We’re being overrun by goats here.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Are there 2 goat ads? The super annoying ‘Are we there yet? Are we there yet?’ one that we all know and hate. And a second one about a ‘milk making machine’. We’re being overrun by goats here.
    There's 2 different goats. One for Bothar and one for Trocaire.
    Betcha Gorta will launch THEIR goat shortly.
    Can't get enuf o dem goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Has anyone ever contacted bothair about this goat business? I'm sure he has to be having a negative impact on the amount of donations received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Some American whose great-(x10)-grandfather is doing my head in advertising a baseball game for The Gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

There's some ad on RTE radio 1 wher a guy whispers:

"When you drive in daylight with your dipped headlights off......."

I've never gotten any further than that cause it's so unbelievably irritating that I have to switch it off.
    Could be a very important message, but WHY DOES HE HAVE TO WHISPER??????? Arrrrghhhhh :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The idiot crying about changing his bins to the city bin company,

i cry when i am happy, piss off you twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Gloveworm wrote: »
    That ad is a bit Fair City in its approach to domestic violence, super subtle alright. :rolleyes:

Controlling and abusive partners (male and female) are rarely that forthcoming and self-aware about their manipulation and aggression.

Actually I think they are good ads if for no other reason that to raise awareness of domestic violence and the ways in which it can happen to both men and women.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Maybe its not the ads here but the subject of it, (although the ads are terrible).

I've just heard an ad for the Tom Dunne show where a girl rings in looking for a set of golf clubs for her Dad.

Another ad features a chap (without a hint of gratitude) asking for his brother in the States to be flown hom for Christmas as it would be a nice surprise for his folks.

In both cases the callers come across as smug, self entitled and in the case of the bloke, slightly obnoxious.

Whats the criteria here? If I phone Tom will he fix it for me to spend six weeks in the Bahamas simply because I think I deserve it, (which I do of course).

Awful ads.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I've never gotten any further than that cause it's so unbelievably irritating that I have to switch it off.
    Could be a very important message, but WHY DOES HE HAVE TO WHISPER??????? Arrrrghhhhh :mad:

I think it’s to show the difference between how hard it is to hear a whisper vs. Normal speaking volume. It’s analogous (probably the wrong word) to how hard it is to see a car with no lights versus lights on in the day.

It is a rubbish ad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I just heard an abominable ad on Today Fm for Jervis shopping centre, seemingly voiced by a woman with her jaw wired shut, bizarre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Mr robin of the national consumer agency needs to join camel and goat with a bullet in his brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

That Jervis shuppeng sintur advert..... WTF sort of accent is that?
    Also the person who voices the ad for the Olly Murs ad, she did the Kelly Clarkson ad too... Painfully excitable! Hate that phony I am smiling while I over enunciate voiceover style!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Am I the only one getting fed up listening to various well heeled Irish Celebrities urging me to give to a wide variety of charities at the moment?

Thought not.

And wouldnt it be nice to know whether Tubridy or Ormonde have "been paid a gratuity for their time in making this ad" or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

He speaks up after the first bit when he starts talking about putting dipped headlights on though.

It's a really dumb ad though. Were people driving around in daylight without headlights on really causing that much damage? I have never in my life come close to thinking "whoa, where did that car come out of? Maybe I would have seen him if his lights were on" at 2pm in the day. Are there some drivers who are actually this blind and still allowed to drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Brenda Donohue supporting Ronald McDonald House? Has she not supported Ronald McDonald enough over the years.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

My kingdom for a device that silences the radio during ads, just like you can skip ads on Sky Plus playback... and yes I know you can turn down the volume, but that isn't always an option when you're working...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

thalia_13 wrote: »
    That Jervis shuppeng sintur advert..... WTF sort of accent is that?
    Also the person who voices the ad for the Olly Murs ad, she did the Kelly Clarkson ad too... Painfully excitable! Hate that phony I am smiling while I over enunciate voiceover style!

You'd think they could at least get a voice actor who can pronounce shopping correctly, seeing as its part of their name and all. Shupping is not a ****ing word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

I find that latest ad "I tell her what to wear, and sometimes I need to get physical" extremely offensive... With the instruction that I'm not really a man if I have to hit a woman... How do they get away with this sh1te?.. oh right cos they are a shower of man hating, bleeding hearts..

Sad to hear Focus Ireland have joined in the "men are bastards" feminist-fun with their latest offering. :(

Spirit of Christmas - Sisterhood style!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

How much are Bóthar paying for their ads? They seem to have an ad in practically every single ad-break on both Newstalk & Radio 1. Surely they're not cheap spots??

dulpit wrote: »
    How much are Bóthar paying for their ads? They seem to have an ad in practically every single ad-break on both Newstalk & Radio 1. Surely they're not cheap spots??

Do Radio stations offer discounts for charitable organisations?

Do Radio stations offer discounts for charitable organisations?

Dunno, but they must be paying a sizeable amount on advertising, which could be better spent sending goat to africa..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally 10% off for charities on independents. No idea about RTE.

MYOB wrote: »
    Generally 10% off for charities on independents. No idea about RTE.

Interesting... I would have thought it would have been more than 10%..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

This is a Building Energy Rating cert or BER

BER_Cert_with_explaination_400.png

This is a bear or BEAR. There is no similarity or relationship between these words. Comprende? Also, the bear has the same expression on its face as I do when I hear your stupid stupid ad.

angry_bear.jpg

dulpit wrote: »

Much cheaper for them to run off a couple of thousand of these.....
    :D.....the sooner someone fcks that annoying dink into a pot and gets it over with the better.

NorthAfricanLamborGoatStew.jpg

europa11 wrote: »
    Much cheaper for them to run off a couple of thousand of these.....
    :D.....the sooner someone fcks that annoying dink into a pot and gets it over with the better.

Actually, in the latest (equally annoying) ad, goat is claiming that he'll be 'a milk-making machine in no time at all"

Goat, to the best of my knowledge, is male. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Also, if the village that goat is going to has so much grass and water, why do they need Irish goats in the first place? Surely such fortunate people would have their own goats?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

stannis wrote: »
    Also, if the village that goat is going to has so much grass and water, why do they need Irish goats in the first place? Surely such fortunate people would have their own goats?

Don't worry... they don't actually send Irish animals over.

I mean, who in their right mind would purchase a market value Irish cow raised on good water and lush green grass and ship it to a land without much of either.

I assume the purchased animals are local (which Africa is not shy of) and monies are then put to better use.

Don't worry... they don't actually send Irish animals over.

I mean, who in their right mind would purchase a market value Irish cow raised on good water and lush green grass and ship it to a land without much of either.

I assume the purchased animals are local (which Africa is not shy of) and monies are then put to better use.

afaik they do ship animals from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

europa11 wrote: »

afaik they do ship animals from Ireland.

Really! Jeez what a waste.

Well considering all their money must go on blanketing the airwaves with a corkonion goat it should be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They ship cows anyway as ours are much higher quality. Dunno about goats

If that dickhead Bóthar 'goat' is any example of Irish bred goats is anything to go by, hopefully they'll buy them down in the local markets in Sudan or wherever.

The only reason I'd find to transport our favourite "goat" by air would be to ensure that a C-130 Hercules craft was used.....the one with the ramp at the rear.....and then, at 25,000 ft over the Atlantic, when he asks in that horrid croaky voice and for the umpteenth time "are we there yet?", finally see justice done for the pain inflicted to our ears.

I think I may have discovered why Goat is so enthusiastic to leave Ireland...

"Other activities prisoners participate in include looking after livestock donated by farmers to the development agency Bothar prior to their transport to farmers in Africa."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jervis Shopping Centre

"Jvis Shping Centr in the cntr of shping"

Dunnes Stores, Paul Costelloe.

A match made in heaven I'm sure,
    but could someone please tell me whether I should be concerned if anyone close to me feels the need to start Shirting?????

Shirting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

There's an ad for the National Council for the Blind that's on Newstalk.

It's a poem with every 2nd line spoken by a "mother" and her "daughter".

The problem I have with it is:

1) The mother sounds more like a grandmother, it's the same voiceover as those Revenue Online (ROS) ads

2) The child sounds way too old to believe in Santa

Just sounds rather unsettling and unnatural overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

coonecb1 wrote: »
    Just sounds rather unsettling and unnatural overall

Yeah, there's something NQR about it... I think it's the fact that it's done in a rhyme, but one of those "free" rhymes where the last word of each line rhymes, but the number of syllables differs, throwing the rhythm totally out the window.

Kind of annoying all right... but NCBI deserve our support, so I won't hold it against them! :D

"As Maeve says herself, that's a fact"...

That's clever, get a fictitious character to endorse your product in lieu of actually getting the "facts" approved by the proper authorities.. How are they allowed to get away with this?

• Advertisement

There's another ad on at the moment which I find unsettling. It's for a home care company who provide a sort of nanny service for the elderly.

The ad features a woman complaining about her elderly fathers needs, she says she just doesn't have the time to be checking in on him and making sure he takes his medication, she needs the homecare crowd to do it for her.

Her father probably worked all his life to put food on her table and get her an education and now she see's him as a burden. If my parents ever need assistance like that in years to come they'll be moving in with me, I not going to cast them off to a group of strangers because I'm too busy to look out for them.

There's another ad on at the moment which I find unsettling. It's for a home care company who provide a sort of nanny service for the elderly.

The ad features a woman complaining about her elderly fathers needs, she says she just doesn't have the time to be checking in on him and making sure he takes his medication, she needs the homecare crowd to do it for her.

Her father probably worked all his life to put food on her table and get her an education and now she see's him as a burden. If my parents ever need assistance like that in years to come they'll be moving in with me, I not going to cast them off to a group of strangers because I'm too busy to look out for them.

This has been brought up a few times, it's an awful ad to be fair...

I may be wrong, but I think a boardsie sent that crowd an email complaining and they got a response...

mike65 wrote: »
    Jervis Shopping Centre

"Jvis Shping Centr in the cntr of shping"

That one is really weird!!! Who really speaks like that??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That one is really weird!!! Who really speaks like that??

Fionnuala O'Carroll-Kelly? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Inane Ad for the poxy Kildare Village Outlet in which one of the women clearly says Mary Christmas, or do I need a hearing aid?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

I like how Meteor have gone with a more wholesome Christmas message this year; "Buy a co-worker a phone and she'll open her legs for ya no bother"

But seriously, who the f*ck is "Maeve" and why the f*ck should I give a toss about her plant stanol ester fixation!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

DuckStab wrote: »
    I like how Meteor have gone with a more wholesome Christmas message this year; "Buy a co-worker a phone and she'll open her legs for ya no bother"

Well, this is the same Meteor who had the TV ad years ago where two lads were promised a "lap dance" for Christmas... :rolleyes:

But yeh the new ad effectively endorses prostituting yourself for a new phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Probably going to face a backlash but here goes......

I really can't stand the Christmas Barry's Gold Blend add, with yer man reminiscing about his train set.

Finishing up with the cringing line: Put the kettle on, we'll have a cup of tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Christmas Killer! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Col200sx wrote: »
    Probably going to face a backlash but here goes......

I really can't stand the Christmas Barry's Gold Blend add, with yer man reminiscing about his train set.

Finishing up with the cringing line: Put the kettle on, we'll have a cup of tea

Well doesn't that beat Banagher! Love it or loathe it- I'm in the first category and for me it's now as much as part of the build up to Christmas as the Guinness/Budweiser and Coca Cola ads. Doesn't make me buy Barry's tea though. :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement