Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I know I know...... Hence the:
    Col200sx wrote: »
    Probably going to face a backlash but here goes......

But whatever it is it just doesn't do it for me. Sorry :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I really can't stand the Christmas Barry's Gold Blend add, with yer man reminiscing about his train set.

Finishing up with the cringing line: Put the kettle on, we'll have a cup of tea

I agree.

This is what I had to say about it a couple of weeks ago.....
    Lapin wrote: »
    I hope Barry's Tea give the train set Dad a year or two off.

Twas a grand cosy ad the first time it was aired, but its annual repetition turned it into an irritating piece of schmaltz.

I still haven't heard it yet this year and hope you haven't put the hex on it now. ;)

Speaking of which - I haven't heard the "mobile phone for 20 lids" girl this year either.

I hope I haven't put the hex on everyone else now either. :)

We'll probably have both ads on during the next break in between the Kildare Village twats and that poxy Cork goat. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - Barry's Tea ad heard on RTE this morning. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - Barry's Tea ad heard on RTE this morning. :D

The one about getting a train set for Christmas? It goes on for almost five minutes. :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Speaking of ads for tea, the Lyons tea "talk" ad is pure annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

June Rodgers at the fat cow hotel, why anyone would want to spend money looking at that lump is beyond me.
    Cinderella at the gaiety, Christ I hate that child.
    Kill Dare village ad is just appalling.
    All charity adverts (save the money spent on ads and buy the fcuking goat, ,cow,chicken or whatever yourself).
    TV licence ads (just fcuk off).
    Akinoforce ?????? again just fcuk off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Put the kettle on, we'll have a cup of tea

Cringey alright.

We Irish are obsessed with 'putting the kettle on'.
    We do it before making love.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Cringey alright.

We Irish are obsessed with 'putting the kettle on'.
    We do it before making love.

I normally put it on during sex, Two hours is way too long to go without a brew:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

why do inane dull drab shopping centres such as Northside and Donaghmede feel the need to advertise to the whole of Dublin? two kips thats main attraction is Dunnes and a post office.

If An Post are right about the start of Christmas it looks like Christmas wont be coming to my house because we never send Christmas cards

In that Cinderella ad why does the child need to tell us that Cinderella is coming. I couldnt care about a fairy tale character and her sex life

And the master blender in the lyons ad not wanting to talk about the work christmas party and the other idiot agreeing makes me think those 2 got up to no good in the jacks and now have a dirty little secret

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

neris wrote: »
    And the master blender in the lyons ad not wanting to talk about the work christmas party and the other idiot agreeing makes me think those 2 got up to no good in the jacks and now have a dirty little secret

Would that be pillow talk?

Yakuza wrote: »
    Would that be pillow talk?

well the young fella did ask the master blender in another ad if hed like to see him in a nightie or somthing along those lines

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Hate hate hate that pig ad. The one with the kid talking very fast about someone getting a pig for Christmas and the husband kicking it because he thought it was a football. WTF is that all about?!?!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Corkys, Corkys, Corkys.

**Loads gun**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

EVERY newstalk break...

"I'm in love with a woooonderful man..... "

Jesus H Christ.... I want to break my fkn radio in to small small pieces...

"He doesnt burp or eat with his mouth open"...

She should be more concerned about her own eating habits...

That comfort keepers ad is back and doing my head in (my dad is sick but I couldn't be arsed to take an hour out of my day to visit him).

There's also an ad for a golf resort (Carton House maybe?) where they mention that membership is only €2,500 or something. In this day and age its quite insensitive to state that membership to anything is ONLY €2,500.. Does this bug anyone else? Or is it just me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I really can't stand the Christmas Barry's Gold Blend add, with yer man reminiscing about his train set.

Finishing up with the cringing line: Put the kettle on, we'll have a cup of tea

Cant stand it either. It's at least 30 seconds too long and the guy's voice goes right through me. 'Stick the kettle on' at the end of the ad makes no sense to me either. Your smug self-satisfaction at buying something the kids didn't want is no reason to have a sup a' tae. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

It's not the worst radio ad, or even terrible, but mobilecover.ie ... "you never feel more naked than when you don't have your phone"? Really? I can think of at least one other situation where you would feel more naked than that.

Like when you're actually naked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

There's a schmoozy ad for Coors Lite (I think) with that song "Dancin' in the moonlight". Drives me cracked - it's so... American! I first thought it was a p155take, but no, it's a straight-up ad with one of those smooooothhhh American DJ voices like you hear in the Simpsons... "Enjoy Laramie cigarettes... for that smoooothhhh flavor" :cool:

Awful! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Probably going to face a backlash but here goes...... I really can't stand the Christmas Barry's Gold Blend add, with yer man reminiscing about his train set. Finishing up with the cringing line: Put the kettle on, we'll have a cup of tea

I love that ad.
    It only appears sporadically and invokes a certain nostalgia.

that poxy christmas jingle rte 1 have with some twat singing about putting lights on a tree is doing my head in.

• Advertisement

that poxy christmas jingle rte 1 have with some twat singing about putting lights on a tree is doing my head in.

Thank you.

Same goes for the Santa bear ad with Ronan Collins. No, I won't buy a bear to show I care...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It sounds like the chorus group singing it is depressed.
    Completely monotone delivery.

It's for lyric fm isn't it?

dloob wrote: »

I've only heard it for Lyric this year so far, in previous years they used the same jingle across all RTÉ radio stations to advise on programme schedules over Christmas..

Is it too much to ask for to have new ads/jingles each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Seems the Irish can't do any kind of "festive" advertising. It's either diabetes-inducingly saccharine or wrist-slashingly negative. i.e. the current ad for The Simon Community. It's not enough to have some homeless chap go through his daily routine at the start, we have to get someone doing a Joseph O'Connor on a prozac binge impression appealing afterwards (the same gimp who did that BOI ad I also hate!)

Oh and SVdP... Lessons in Pathos, by Ryan Tubridy.
    Put a full stop between every word, the end.

But! The one "so bad it's good" ad is sadly conspicuous in its absence. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

PUT THE LIGGHTS ON THE TREE PUT THEM ON THE TREE PUT THEM ON THE TREE

Is that a bit of a genuine song or just issued from the devil's jingle dept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

That's a song by Sufjan Stevens, in fairness he is very talented with impeccable indie credentials don't you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

parasite wrote: »
    That's a song by Sufjan Stevens, in fairness he is very talented with impeccable indie credentials don't you know

It's unfair to blame the artist for a piece of music extracted out of context and relentlessly rotated on radio.

I mean you no ill-will Mr. Stevens.

Put the lights on the tree, put them on the tree, put them on the tree.. :D

CHOONNNNNNNN

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I just find every Christmas ad contrived and intensely irritating. I think at this stage my cynicism is taking over my life, I need to stop getting so worked up by such mindless sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I think it's an ad for Vicks, not sure, as the blood is flowing out of my ears by the time it's over. An English wan going on at the husband, (Steve, i think) about being all congested and breathing heavily while he's asleep.

Or that big ghey ad for the Panto with Mr. TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

dloob wrote: »

It sounds like the chorus group singing it is depressed.
    Completely monotone delivery.

No, I've heard it on RTE1 Radio 1 during Morning Ireland.
    Grrrr

Whats the obsession for charaties to portray men as women beaters? Theres one ad in particular where the woman is talking about her kid not being home for xmas and puts it down to a wife beater. Why cant they have been broke or some other depressing situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Whats the obsession for charaties to portray men as women beaters?

Because they need to justify their funding, and the nasty misogynistic violent male (the potential rapist which is of course dormant in all of us penis-bearers) is a convenient bogeyman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

I see Meteor are maintaing their yuletide tradition of crap ads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

The Meteor ads with that idiot singing songs. Here is a full transcript of one of the songs:

"I'll get myself a new smartphone
    And indigestion from nibbly food"

Wat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I know its for a good cause but the bothar charity ads are highly annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

DuckStab wrote: »
    ..... the current ad for The Simon Community. It's not enough to have some homeless chap go through his daily routine at the start, we have to get someone doing a Joseph O'Connor on a prozac binge impression appealing afterwards (the same gimp who did that BOI ad I also hate!)

I thought that was Christy Moore. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Chauncey

The Newstalk thing with the kid talking about Christmas is painful.

weeorr ceddebradin de burtajaysus an havin a fambly dinnorhh

That stupid bloody taxi company (I won't even honour them by naming them) have come out with an awful Christmas ad. If I lived in Dubland and was a user of taxis, those ads would put me off using that company...

• Advertisement

Someone needs to warn "dreamy darren" he's a nut job stalker in the office. Those millionaire raffle ads get ****er with every ad.

Also why is there suddenly a whole load of dating agencies advertising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

The Shannon Airport ads with Terry Wogan are grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Also why is there suddenly a whole load of dating agencies advertising

People can end up feeling very lonely at Christmas and may be willing to pay someone to convince them they won't be.

Has anyone heard the ad for a Hot Press subscription that's running on Today FM? Sounds like their editor (or whoever) did a quick record using his PC in middle of office, and cost all of €10 to make...

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Anyone else finding that there are a ridiculous amount of rhyming radio adverts this Christmas, in that Dr. Seuss style??

lepardstown race ad, M&S ad, lemsip ad etc.......

Truly annoying

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Anyone else finding that there are a ridiculous amount of rhyming radio adverts this Christmas, in that Dr. Seuss style??
    Truly annoying

Absolutely .. was gonna post about it.. Every fkn one... That Eason's ad with the guy with the lisp is particularly annoying and the other one with "presents for mummy and MMEEE" ... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

0.jpg
    epic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Absolutely .. was gonna post about it.. Every fkn one... That Eason's ad with the guy with the lisp is particularly annoying and the other one with "presents for mummy and MMEEE" ... :mad:

The Eason's one is alright.

The NCBI one seems like it's perfectly designed to make you feel bad when you find out that you've criticised an ad for a charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 trxking

0.jpg
    epic

lol yeah real original there buddy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

All the pseudo intellectuals love Hitchens. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

"Wouldn't the lady care to dance?"
    31056298.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement