Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

"Wouldn't the lady care to dance?"

That blasted costume jewelry add is back on Newstalk again.

The only thing I want from that "era" is Al Capone, dancing the charlston on top of a flag pole

Kill this ad with fire I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

dulpit wrote: »
    That stupid bloody taxi company (I won't even honour them by naming them) have come out with an awful Christmas ad. If I lived in Dubland and was a user of taxis, those ads would put me off using that company...

In a way it helps advertise its competitors, while I remember the words 'bus' and 'Luas' I can't for the life of me remember the taxi company's name...

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

All the pseudo intellectuals love Hitchens. :)

What ad is that from ?

I hope they're referring to Peter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Lapin wrote: »
    What ad is that from ?

I hope they're referring to Peter. :)

Easons I think, and why?

stannis wrote: »
    Easons I think, and why?

I haven't heard the ad.

I'm a advocte of Christopher Hitchens and I don't make any bones about it. I think the world was a better place with him in it.

And I would never describe myself as an intellectual for that, (Even a pseudo one).

If you really meant Peter. Two words there,

****k him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

stannis wrote: »

Easons I think, and why?

Grr. I'm no fan of Hitchens but even I get weirded out at the thought of his work being touted as Christmas stocking fillers.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

I'm a advocte of Christopher Hitchens and I don't make any bones about it.

Wonderful. What aspect of Hitchens' life, philosophy or literary oeuvre do you think needs to be "advocated"?
    If you really meant Peter. Two words there,

****k him.

Are you an adult?

^^^ Try stirring the pot on a different thread.

I'm not going to bite the bait here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

All the pseudo intellectuals love Hitchens. :)

It was a bit weird that they decided to put a controversial person like Hitchens in the ad for Christmas. Would be a bit of a weird present to get for most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

"Ah, howeyez lads..." Like some sort of zombies, Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen have been resurrected for a Radio 1 ad for a musical. I've heard the ad a number of times now and I still cannot make out the name of the production.
    There's a good reason why the real-life Bertie wasn't a voiceover artist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

"Ah, howeyez lads..." Like some sort of zombies, Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen have been resurrected for a Radio 1 ad for a musical. I've heard the ad a number of times now and I still cannot make out the name of the production.
    There's a good reason why the real-life Bertie wasn't a voiceover artist.

Anglo the musical? Terrible ad, it would really put you off seeing it...

"Now with 20% more Biffo". :rolleyes:

I know it's awful to say, but there's an ad playing at the moment where a woman talks about her mother who died from cancer as a result of smoking. No issue with the content of the ad, but the woman who recorded the voice must have had a wicked cold or something, sounds like she's well bunged up. Detracts from the ad because all I can hear is someone with a cold and it makes me automatically snuffly...

That Citybins ad, with yer one smashing the plates, makes me "flippin' raging" myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Niles wrote: »
    That Citybins ad, with yer one smashing the plates, makes me "flippin' raging" myself!

They changed coz shed use to say she was feckin raging. Im sure some easily offended pedantic prat took offence at the word "feck"

neris wrote: »
    They changed coz shed use to say she was feckin raging. Im sure some easily offended pedantic prat took offence at the word "feck"

I'm surprised he hasn't moaned about the Newstalk ad for their golfing link that uses the word "feck" spelt with a 'u'.

There's a new 123.ie ad.

gtfo_get_out_guy_rage_face_comic_meme_postcard-p239230085214716177envli_400.jpg

Actively makes me not want to use the company, even if they were cheaper with quotes (they've never been cheaper for me btw)

Tallaght ford are back with their dodgy singing ad from a few years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Actively makes me not want to use the company, even if they were cheaper with quotes (they've never been cheaper for me btw)

Haven't been cheaper except for the stereotypical boring old dear (well, old either gender now) with a 1.0 ****box and a bland job since they were bought out by RSA. Just became yet another insurance firm targetting the same minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I heard an ad this morning advertising something called "Islam Attack" - I looked down at the radio, wondering what the hell these guys were advertising!!

Turns out it was "Slam Attack", some kind of wrestling promotion in one of todays newspapers. :o

It's amazing what one little slip of diction can do to change the entire meaning of something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Mr E wrote: »
    I heard an ad this morning advertising something called "Islam Attack" - I looked down at the radio, wondering what the hell these guys were advertising!!

Turns out it was "Slam Attack", some kind of wrestling promotion in one of todays newspapers. :o

It's amazing what one little slip of diction can do to change the entire meaning of something.

LOL, that is just Post Of The Day!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

The Irish Sun giveaway

Yet another reason not to touch that steaming load of moose piss with a 10-foot clown pole

There is an epic ad for a golf course with John Giles & Eamon Dunphy. I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

New ones from the TV licence shower advising not to pay your bill by Morse code or by using the "message in the bottle" method.
    "Pay in a way that suits you", he oozes....
    Well, Morse code suits me...!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

"One 870ml bottle of Fairy could last for up to ten weeks!"

"(May vary depending on usage)"

!!! Entirely meaningless.

new brennans bread ad where mr brennans "buddy" is interviewing the "ordinary" people of ireland asking them why like breannans so much. Funny how he found a pro voice over artist on the street for her opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The absolute deluge of No Nonsense.ie Ads for FBD (?) Insurance with some sort of deranged Seán Moncrieff style narration. Mental note made never to go to FBD for anything. And another gripe I have, apart from every second Ad being a medical one, is the speeded up crap about terms and conditions applying or being regulated by the Central Bank. FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can some asshole/TD not introduce a bill in the Dail to remove this ****e and that it can be taken as read that terms etc. apply???::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

without doubt the most annoying and infuriating tv and radio adds are the tv licence adds.

Darsad wrote: »
    without doubt the most annoying and infuriating tv and radio adds are the tv licence adds.

I wouldn't agree, some such as the one with rabbit are quite amusing. Anyway, I haven't had to put up with the TV ones since becoming a Saorview-free zone. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The absolute deluge of No Nonsense.ie Ads for FBD (?) Insurance with some sort of deranged Seán Moncrieff style narration. Mental note made never to go to FBD for anything. And another gripe I have, apart from every second Ad being a medical one, is the speeded up crap about terms and conditions applying or being regulated by the Central Bank. FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can some asshole/TD not introduce a bill in the Dail to remove this ****e and that it can be taken as read that terms etc. apply???::mad::mad::mad:
    Those ads really annoy me :mad:

The Ben Dunne Gym 'the Christmas season is well and truly over' add is beginning to annoy me, well, actually all the Ben Dunne gym ads to. How exactly is that voice and tone meant to inspire anyone to do anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Anglo the musical? Terrible ad, it would really put you off seeing it...

"Now with 20% more Biffo". :rolleyes:

“SAVAGE…….GO SEE” :rolleyes:
    Fiona Looney (columnist, playwright, scriptwriter and media personality)

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The regular Anglo Musical ad (with regular voiceover, but some of the songs playing in the background) are worst than the bad Bertie/Biffo impression ads. The songs sound like a drunken singalong in a pub after a lock in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

like the breakdown cover ad where the son asks "Ma what is the Capital of dublin?"

like the "learn to live again" ad where the couple are going to go to the Cinema
    "but the food in the Cinema is really expensive!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Some ad for Flora spray or pour on lotion voiced by a rather mealy mouthed English "celebrity" chap and his equally unintelligible "mum".

Keep it for the UK stations please.

On a different note, our threadbare friend is back on with a more acceptable version of the god awful Hireland ad. It doesnt sound like "Harland" anymore.........

Ad on Newstalk for some company where they've left their UK phone number in it. That's gonna get sales...

sheesh wrote: »
    like the "learn to live again" ad where the couple are going to go to the Cinema
    "but the food in the Cinema is really expensive!"

The 'left the imersion on' ad makes me want to throw the radio (well, my phone) to the ground.

Can't even remember what the ads are for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Tommy Tiernan advert for a man who apparently is a comical genius yet they only play one line that is an actual joke/funny line, the other 3 things he says are meaningless. Thing one is "he he he" and the last "goodnight", can't remember the 3rd, but again its irrelevant.

Note to advertisers, if going to promote a comedian, maybe try to make him sound funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Niles wrote: »
    The 'left the imersion on' ad makes me want to throw the radio (well, my phone) to the ground.

Can't even remember what the ads are for!

Renault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

NIMAN wrote: »
    The Tommy Tiernan advert for a man who apparently is a comical genius yet they only play one line that is an actual joke/funny line, the other 3 things he says are meaningless. Thing one is "he he he" and the last "goodnight", can't remember the 3rd, but again its irrelevant.

Note to advertisers, if going to promote a comedian, maybe try to make him sound funny.
    I always think this as well play a funny bit on the ad,you are hardly spoiling the gig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I am sure yous have seen " The Sun" newspaper ad with the girl singing some unknown tune, well I think she s freaky with those big eyes of hers and the way she stares at you.......................................................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YwrWpiEGg3c

*shudders*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I've never heard an ad for a comedian that made me want to see their show, apart from the Des Bishop ones there a little while back. It's usually one line out of context and then an audience laughing infuriatingly because we don't know why the joke is funny. They should just do what Bishop did and have the comedian do the ad themselves, at least it sounds a bit more genuine then.

Whoever edits those always the same format comedian ads really needs to be let go. Heard one for Dara O'Briain using content from three DVDs ago; a show I'd actually also seen live and the cut half the joke out, and put canned laughter on a section before the punchline (of sorts, as they'd cut it up too) was delivered...

Would put me off seeing any comedian.

All ads for comedians are truly terrible. One (semi) funny line, howls of laughter and a possible "zany" sound track.

Be much better to just have a guy say Comedian X is playing at Venue Y on Date Z. /ad.

The Ad for the 'original' Rat Pack show at the Gaiety. The original Rat Pack were Frank Sinatra (d.1998), Dean Martin (d.1995) and Sammy Davis Jnr. (d.1990), so who on earth are performing at the Gaiety. They should be done under the Trades Descriptions Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

The Money Village ad that's always played on 98fm... "You'd be barking not to!" and a load of dogs barking... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Tallaght ford airton road,jebus that add does my tits in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

"Hi I'm Rachel, as you know I breastfed my daughter from birth...." arrrrghhhh I HATE that ad! The piano music on it infuriates me and makes me want to destroy my radio. Also the ad that was on a few weeks ago for Cinderalla at the Gaiety.. the kid shouting "Cinderella's coming". There are no words for the annoyance caused by the repetition of these ads every ad break on Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gloveworm

faigs wrote: »
    "Hi I'm Rachel, as you know I breastfed my daughter from birth...." arrrrghhhh I HATE that ad! The piano music on it infuriates me and makes me want to destroy my radio.

That ad drives me demented. Bog off, Rachel, we're not all followers of your lactating boobs' twitter account.

Theres some weird fetishisation of motherhood in ads currently, it's infuriating, patronising and creepy. Always a smiley, smug, over-familiar tone, calling mothers "mums" and saying "baby" instead of "your baby".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dear Business owners

STOP USING YOUR OWN VOICES ON RADIO ADS

its so fcuking mickey mouse:mad:

• Advertisement

Seren_ wrote: »
    The Money Village ad that's always played on 98fm... "You'd be barking not to!" and a load of dogs barking... :mad:

And the ASAI don't even think the ad is taking advantage of people in distress / causing moral hazard by encouraging people to default either. Makes it even worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement