Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I presume nobody here uses NRC because of the ads, some of you I imagine actively avoid them. See they say the more annoying the ad is the more likely the listener will remember the product/service being advertised. That's true but I find if people are tortured for long enough they'll snap and their dislike of the ad turns to pure hatred. People won't do business with a company they despise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Brown Thomas' ad (with the old-fashioned singing) is AWFUL. I don't know if they are singing out of tune on purpose, but it makes me reach for the 'change station' button every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Any radio ad with whispering is annoying. It's radio. You are supposed to HEAR it. Remembering Lyric's "**Lyric FM**" which always sounded to me like "...***Lurk FM***...".

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭reera82

The Heinz ketchup ad which is set to the alphabet tune. The guy who came up with it should be sent out in front of a firing squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Shin shin on Newstalk, god I hate it.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Greenman wrote: »
    Shin shin on Newstalk, god I hate it.:mad:

Is that the Irish language thing?
    Should be banished to Radio na G where it belongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anything that tries to convince us we are getting somethign for 'free'.

Like the latest advert offering a 'free' iPhone5. Totally free to you if you agree to pay us €1440 (24 months @ €60 per month).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pacanto

Some D4 head saying,"cos any dope can be in a relationship" in that blood boiling way only a D4 head can speak.The rest of the add is muck too but that line at the end....GRR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Radio5

It's probably been said before but any ad for Kildare "Village". Seriously annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Ian Dempsey doing the ad for Robbie Williams' Irish gig, "with very special guest Olly Moores!" Jesus, it's 'Murs'! You'd think someone in radio would know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I'd actually give Dempsey credit for not knowing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I don't actually think it's on now, but it's a bread advert always on during Hector in the morning and all it is is a man going OM NOM NOM OM NOM NOM.. i actually can't stand it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Amc removals on news talk. Bad enough that pillock spent half an hour on liveline name dropping his company but now we have to listen to him at any random time

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Dub Ste

I don't know what it is with taxi cab firms,are they trying to out****e each other??

I heard an ad for Ballsbridge taxis this morning,and it's one of the worst ads being aired at the minute.

Why do these firms hate us so much??????:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Radio5 wrote: »
    It's probably been said before but any ad for Kildare "Village". Seriously annoying.

Especially that one about yer wan treating "the one I love" that they put on every year before Valentine's day.

"followed by a romantic stroll through the 'village'..." (grrr, it's a shopping centre)

"but you're SINGLE!!!"
    - "I know!!!"

Pathetic! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

The amount of Irish people speaking broken German in advertisements is disconcerting on several levels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

OMG GAHHHHHHHHH The Brown Thomas ad with the 1950's style singing!
    Especially the part "did you know it's on until March the 3rd?!"...GAHHHH SOMEBODY MAKE IT STOP!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Agreed, tuneless sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Superquinn and their butchering of "Gonna Fly Now" just makes me yank my earphones out as soon as I hear the opening bars.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That new Easons Mother's day one is awful sh1te

• Advertisement

That new Easons Mother's day one is awful sh1te

Specially cos they say it "Eason" and don't add the S, which I know isn't part of the name but everyone calls it Easons!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The woman's accent annoys me a lot more than that, nothing worse than over exagerrated accent, especially a Cork one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Heard an ad for Mrs Brown's Boys DVD on sale in Xtra Vision. For some inexplicable reason they have decided to use someone with a thick Dublin accent instead of the normal ad-man voices you hear.

Why?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Any ad for anything on at the Grand Canal Theatre.

The current offering is for "the full monty"

It makes my ears bleed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Tom creens back and now with 100% added dramatic music to back up the shouting actor.

dulpit wrote: »
    Heard an ad for Mrs Brown's Boys DVD on sale in Xtra Vision. For some inexplicable reason they have decided to use someone with a thick Dublin accent instead of the normal ad-man voices you hear.

Why?!?

To appeal to the demographic that finds MBB amusing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

neris wrote: »
    Tom creens back and now with 100% added dramatic music to back up the shouting actor.
    Tom and the over pronounced 'Thhumb'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The dunphy/giles golf club one gets a special mention. So bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Radio5

Heard one for some offer for Toyota this morning. Fakey American accent. Brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Just heard one on Newstalk for the Entrepreneur of the Year.

It's bad enough that your man w@nks on about entrepreneurs and their "courage" and "determination", but then he refers to it as the "Ernest and Young Entrepreneur of the Year".

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

mloc123 wrote: »
    The dunphy/giles golf club one gets a special mention. So bad.

Heard that yesterday evening, didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

What made it worse is that Hollystown is a terrible course anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

fussyonion wrote: »
    Specially cos they say it "Eason" and don't add the S, which I know isn't part of the name but everyone calls it Easons!

Well everyone is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Astalia x

iradio has the worst ads ever...very cringe worthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

That Ad currently running to promote the learning of German which drops in and out of English/German. The smugness of guy doing the voiceover reminds me of Lord Haw Haw.........now where's my gun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

C14N wrote: »
    Well everyone is wrong.

Including the company themselves:

http://www.easons.com/

(note the lack of an S on the logo on the site though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is Louise Duffy trying to get an award for most adds on today fm ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Is Louise Duffy trying to get an award for most adds on today fm ?

She'll have a hard fight to win that title from Phil Cawley

I think it's Phil Cawley on the property tax ad? Hate the way he sounds so happy about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think it's Phil Cawley on the property tax ad? Hate the way he sounds so happy about it.

Well Louise is doing something property related.

• Advertisement

That Seachtain/Bliain na Gaeilge ad is annoying. What makes it worse is that "Seachtain na Gaeilge" lasts 2 weeks, 2 weeks of bloody twiddly-aye culchie sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Talking of which ^^^^ there's some god-awful Irish ad/or something "Gaelige Gaisce....??" that pops up on Newstalk just before the news programme starts at 7.00am every weekday. The problem is that I all switch off the clock radio the instant I hear it starting and drift back to sleep therby missing the news. :mad:

Anybody know the thing I mean and can they explain what the hell it is about?

Awful one on FM104 lately with your woman from Fair City (Robin):
    "Give me my discount!" "I want my discount!" "I want my €4 euro discount!"
    And FM104 presenter Andy Preston playing a Dubliner taxi.
    DIRE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

DIRE.

God, he's not doing ads now is he? An appaling enough presenter at the best of times!

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    God, he's not doing ads now is he? An appaling enough presenter at the best of times!

Yep, he sure is AND he puts on a real Dublin accent.

Talking of which ^^^^ there's some god-awful Irish ad/or something "Gaelige Gaisce....??" that pops up on Newstalk just before the news programme starts at 7.00am every weekday. The problem is that I all switch off the clock radio the instant I hear it starting and drift back to sleep therby missing the news. :mad:

Anybody know the thing I mean and can they explain what the hell it is about?

I do. Usually some spiel about a famous artist/writer as Gaelige.
    Don't worry, it's just some Conradh/Gaelgoir Taliban funded attempt to permeate the non-Radio na G airwaves.

• Advertisement

Awful one on FM104 lately with your woman from Fair City (Robin):
    "Give me my discount!" "I want my discount!" "I want my €4 euro discount!"
    DIRE.

I guess that explains its crappiness. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Endfloat

Why in gods name does Nova have to play every irritating ad on the air?? (Not to mention the fact that they are now stuck playing the same 10 songs over and over again). If I hear that poxy ad for eurocycles eurobaby again I will go insane, and then they follow it up with the NRC taxi ****e. The big problem is that people respond to these ads and then go and use their services! I have purposefully walked past an NRC taxi in town when I've been getting a taxi, and I'll be damned if I'll ever buy a single thing in eurocycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

combo775 wrote: »
    Why in gods name does Nova have to play every irritating ad on the air?? (Not to mention the fact that they are now stuck playing the same 10 songs over and over again). If I hear that poxy ad for eurocycles eurobaby again I will go insane, and then they follow it up with the NRC taxi ****e. The big problem is that people respond to these ads and then go and use their services! I have purposefully walked past an NRC taxi in town when I've been getting a taxi, and I'll be damned if I'll ever buy a single thing in eurocycles.

I was thinking something very similar the other day. Nova seem to have especially irritating ads. And it really feels the once out of every two times i tune in to nova, there are ads on. (The other of the two times is usually Sting and the bleedin police).

Anyway i was gonna turn Nova on earlier, because i'm still boycotting Newstalk, but i didnt because of their horrible ads.

Good news for Phantom, i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Endfloat

I'm sticking with Phantom myself. Very good radio station with much fewer ads and a more diverse range of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

I do. Usually some spiel about a famous artist/writer as Gaelige.
    Don't worry, it's just some Conradh/Gaelgoir Taliban funded attempt to permeate the non-Radio na G airwaves.

It's to keep their Irish output up. Required to do a certain amount of it. In fairness it's better than the ****e on Nova, it's half Irish half Englisand is just pointless...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement