Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

soc160 wrote: »
    It's to keep their Irish output up. Required to do a certain amount of it.

I had always suspected this, perhaps it's to do with getting a massive grant for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Endfloat

homah_7ft wrote: »
    I hate all those ones that say, "It's almost six O'clock time to call ..." most of those places are closed at 6..

Oh dear Jesus don't get me started on those ads! "It's 3 o'clock. Time to change your wardrobe doors." "Really, is it now? So at 3 o'clock every day I have to change my wardrobe doors?" What the hell is that about? They make no logical sense!! They're an advertising concept from a bygone era where there was a pack of old farts working in the production studios in these radio stations. It shows that there's some old fart working in the production studio of Nova who has no concept of modern advertising whatsoever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

combo775 wrote: »

Oh dear Jesus don't get me started on those ads! "It's 3 o'clock. Time to change your wardrobe doors." "Really, is it now? So at 3 o'clock every day I have to change my wardrobe doors?" What the hell is that about? They make no logical sense!! They're an advertising concept from a bygone era where there was a pack of old farts working in the production studios in these radio stations. It shows that there's some old fart working in the production studio of Nova who has no concept of modern advertising whatsoever!

Speaking of old farts coming coming with ads, are the fairy liquid ads taking the piss with their atrocious ads? I really can't understand that someone close to them hasn't said 'well actually lads, the scripts for your ads couldn't be more amateur'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Ad on RTÉ radio this morning for Axa insurance had me giggling like an idiot... it's the one where the guy suggests moving in with this girl after their first date so as to save on car insurance, and then discovers - to his obvious disgust - that the girl doesn't drive.

Very funny, as the guy is such a tool. I wonder will it still be funny after repeated listens though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

^^^^ Absolutely hate it for the reasons you state - unfair stereotyping of all males as dickheads. Teeth grinding stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

The complete dearth of logic in radio ads is something that's agitating me more and more. What exactly is the though process (if any) behind making ads like:

"I sailed across the Pacific in a bathtub but then went into hiding after saucy photos emerged. ...get Sky!"

"I'm a rugby-obsessed gimp, get insurance from Aviva!"

So there I was, sitting on the couch with the old... laptoperoonie ;)

Irritating enough the first time, but nearly every single ad break on Today FM/Newstalk for the better part of a month? Someone needs to wire the old laptoperoonie's charger up to his bollix and see if he gets a bigger jolt than that from Aviva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

fussyonion wrote: »
    There's a REALLY annoying radio on at the moment for McDonalds with an alarm going off to the tune of Christ Be Before Me with a tinkly tune and the woman says "Barry, turn off your alarm"..it's SO SO annoying it makes me twich.

That one is horrendous. It would have been poor at the best of times but they really extend the annoying ringtone and snoring far longer than is warranted. It doesn't even make any sense.
    fricatus wrote: »
    And yes, it really is annoying, but that's the point! :D

Just because something is trying to be terrible doesn't mean it has any more merit when it succeeds.
    MYOB wrote: »
    Including the company themselves:

http://www.easons.com/

(note the lack of an S on the logo on the site though)

Ah but I think the reason for that is that "eason.com" has already been taken by some sort of American business software company.
    That Seachtain/Bliain na Gaeilge ad is annoying. What makes it worse is that "Seachtain na Gaeilge" lasts 2 weeks, 2 weeks of bloody twiddly-aye culchie sh1te.

Didn't this used to be just 1 week long? Why did it get pushed up to 2 in the last few years? :confused:
    combo775 wrote: »
    Why in gods name does Nova have to play every irritating ad on the air?? (Not to mention the fact that they are now stuck playing the same 10 songs over and over again). If I hear that poxy ad for eurocycles eurobaby again I will go insane, and then they follow it up with the NRC taxi ****e. The big problem is that people respond to these ads and then go and use their services! I have purposefully walked past an NRC taxi in town when I've been getting a taxi, and I'll be damned if I'll ever buy a single thing in eurocycles.

Nova's advertising is probably what turned me off the station completely. I put up with the somewhat repetitive playlist of songs consisting only of the most famous songs by any given artist but it was having to change the station every 10 minutes to get away from the consistently dire ads that just made it more hassle than it was worth.
    DuckStab wrote: »
    The complete dearth of logic in radio ads is something that's agitating me more and more.

Don't forget "why do anything for a million Euro when you can just play lotto? th_trollface-emoticon-2.gif"

As someone who studies statistics and probability this ad never fails to annoy me. Maybe we'll use other methods because we could play Lotto every week for literally a hundred years and still have such a negligible chance of winning that we can just round it down to zero?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

^^^^ Absolutely hate it for the reasons you state - unfair stereotyping of all males as dickheads. Teeth grinding stuff.

Exactly. The worst part is that the guy in the ad is the target for the ad; a male driver. Why are they insulting their potential customers? It reminds me of that terrible Rabo Direct ‘show me the rock, you wagon’ ad from a few years ago.

I still love the TV licence ads – the new one with the guy paying by Morse code is funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

ALDI prsents Carmen.

Jeeze thats a bit ambitious? ;)

ALDI prsents Carmen.

Jeeze thats a bit ambitious? ;)

LOL... :D

I'm trying to come up with a good joke about Aldi being "Grocery men" and Audi being "Car men" but it's just not happening

I'll get my coat... and I didn't even get to the punchline!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

BMW 3-series/1-series ads. That bloke has the most annoyingly smug voice ever. And the way he goes on about complimentary leather as if free leather is beneath BMW drivers. He's basically a stereotypically smug BMW 3-series driver (drives a 316 bog standard model and thinks everyone is jealous of him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

..but then he refers to it as the "Ernest and Young Entrepreneur of the Year".

:eek:

Most professionals in radio use pronunciation guides in scripts so his script should he read

Ernest [PRON:Earn-ssst; like the end of pssst!] and Young Entrepreneur of the Year, but some scriptwriters in radio want to look cool and don't give any pronounciation hints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭De Bhál

maldron hotels ad based on a rabbit taking part in a quiz similar to 'Who wants to be a millionaire'

it's really bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

De Bhál wrote: »
    maldron hotels ad based on a rabbit taking part in a quiz similar to 'Who wants to be a millionaire'

it's really bad.

I heard. Whatever were they thinking?
    They really must be scraping the bottom of the barrel. Even the hotel dishwashers could do a better one.

De Bhál wrote: »

it's really bad.

Awful. There has been a string of "mastermind" ads that ask a load of questions and the answer is always the same - business or product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I love $ky's advertising at present about how their 'great offer' of 2 months free, a free $ky box and free install could save you up to €158.

Save you!

Here's another idea, don't get in $ky at all and save yourself real money, anything from €350 to €850 each and every year.

Love how saving money in the advertising world actually costs you money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭GSF

NIMAN wrote: »
    I love $ky's advertising at present about how their 'great offer' of 2 months free, a free $ky box and free install could save you up to €158.

Save you!

Here's another idea, don't get in $ky at all and save yourself real money, anything from €350 to €850 each and every year.

Love how saving money in the advertising world actually costs you money.

Think how much you could have saved by not posting this twice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That Maldron hotels ones is probably the worst one I have ever heard. What in the the name of all that is good and holy thought this was a good idea ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That Maldron hotels ones is probably the worst one I have ever heard. What in the the name of all that is good and holy thought this was a good idea ?

Just heard that maldon ad. Desperate to say the play. Sounds like darth vader had his balls in a vice before he hit puberty.

• Advertisement

These Toyota ads are blowing my mind. What’s the connection between a guy with an American accent shouting ‘GIMME YOUR CAR’ and a Japanese car company? There was one last week where he talks about how it’s cute that Ireland also celebrates St. Patricks Day, just like in America. The creative process that led to this abomination being produced must have been something really special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I like the current ad for David McSavage and his live shows where he pokes fun at radio ads. I suppose a lot depends on whether you'll find him funny or not anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Two ads that are particularly grating at the moment are:
    1) give me my taxi discount, give it to me now! I want it. Arrrggghhh I can't stand the ad. Possibly something to do with the fact that I can't stand Orlaith whatever the name is of the actress who is in the ad.

2) My name is Kate and you know I breastfed my baby to give her the best possible start in life and now I want you to spend a fortune on makey upy follow on milk rubbish.

Switch the station the very second I hear either of these on the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

The Bank of Ireland ad thats doing the rounds at the moment, the one with the lady talking about her lump sum saving called Peter.
    Oh God, it really makes me want to shove my boot through the radio, extremly irritating :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I quite like the Chicago town ads, they're done as if they're movie trailers, but then go on about how they're better than dominoes & four star. There's something about the ads that make me listen, and because there's a few of them, I still get (slightly) amused that it's a pizza ad...

Not that I'll ever buy these pizzas by the way (don't eat pizza), so I can't confirm if the ads themselves are good from the commercial point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Rte 1 advertising that advertising with rte 1 is a fantastic thing to so for your business is wrecking my head.

Also Bobby Kerr ads on newstalk for their "business person of the month award". Funny that all the winners seem to be running big business and not some small guy whos struggling along but keeping his business afloat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

neris wrote: »
    Rte 1 advertising that advertising with rte 1 is a fantastic thing to so for your business is wrecking my head.

Also Bobby Kerr ads on newstalk for their "business person of the month award". Funny that all the winners seem to be running big business and not some small guy whos struggling along but keeping his business afloat

I quite like the one about backing a dirty great billboard into a field....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭ofcork

Ad on RTÉ radio this morning for Axa insurance had me giggling like an idiot... it's the one where the guy suggests moving in with this girl after their first date so as to save on car insurance, and then discovers - to his obvious disgust - that the girl doesn't drive.

Very funny, as the guy is such a tool. I wonder will it still be funny after repeated listens though!

Guy in the ad says we could get car insurance for whatever price but the voiceover says quote is for male aged x years driving x car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

neris wrote: »

JESSSSUS H CHRIST.. I just plugged out the radio when that sh1te came on again..

"John has lots of ideas how to grow his business".. followed by Joe Rooney shouting for two minutes, with words like "flashbob" that RTE thinks we should find funny.... (in the same way that RTE expects us to find John Murray funny)..

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

GastroBoy wrote: »
    The Bank of Ireland ad thats doing the rounds at the moment, the one with the lady talking about her lump sum saving called Peter.
    Oh God, it really makes me want to shove my boot through the radio, extremly irritating :mad:
    Don't know if it's the same ad, but there's a BOI ad where we hear:
    "Helllo..My name's Marie,....and this is our lump sum, John.
    "Say hello John"
    "Hellllo"
    "Ah bless, he's quite shy"
    "Ah-Hem, I'm just not used to public speaking......."

What patronising bast***, thought up this ad and who in the name of Jaysus let it past quality control?
    If this ad was pitched at 5 year olds, it would be deemed simplistic and patronising.
    Wise up.
    People who have thousands in lump sums to invest are not children.
    Inform them like adults.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

ofcork wrote: »
    Guy in the ad says we could get car insurance for whatever price but the voiceover says quote is for male aged x years driving x car.

Quote based on an unemployed 18 yo male, driving a Mitsubishi Colt with stuck-on plastic trims still living with his ma.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

Sorry the "Home Store and More" wins for worst ever assault on the ears.

He must die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm amazed that those Kildare Village ads have not changed their tone/tenure, we are in the 5th year of slump so the "sex and the city" vibe really does rub me up the wrong way. Are there still wimmin tottering around in 200/300 euro heels and handbags looking for that perfect little something and another bleedin' handbag?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

The best ad on radio is the ad for Muckross Hotel with Bill Cullen and Jackie Lavin. Its only brilliant because its seems to have only starting being broadcast after the banks appointed a reciever and took control of the hotel. It must be a sickener for Cullen to hear his voice promoting a hotel that he has lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm amazed that those Kildare Village ads have not changed their tone/tenure, we are in the 5th year of slump so the "sex and the city" vibe really does rub me up the wrong way. Are there still wimmin tottering around in 200/300 euro heels and handbags looking for that perfect little something and another bleedin' handbag?

Fabulous... Agreed, they are awful...

Ended up listening to 4FM last night for a bit, their ads sound like you're listening to community radio or something... :pac:

Pharmaton ads and their 50s songs are back. Shudder

mike65 wrote: »
    dulpit wrote: »

Yeah, I heard the latest one there - "she was looking fab-u-lous in LK Bennett, DKNY, blahdy-blah"

Totally stuck in 2006. I don't want to spoil anyone's consumer fun, but in a country where 18% of all mortgages are in arrears and a further 6% are "at risk", isn't it a bit insensitive to be listing off all the brands like some airhead with her Daddy's credit cord?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    These Toyota ads are blowing my mind. What’s the connection between a guy with an American accent shouting ‘GIMME YOUR CAR’ and a Japanese car company? There was one last week where he talks about how it’s cute that Ireland also celebrates St. Patricks Day, just like in America. The creative process that led to this abomination being produced must have been something really special.

Toyota. Possibly the most annoying ads in the world!

Yeah, I heard the latest one there - "she was looking fab-u-lous in LK Bennett, DKNY, blahdy-blah"

Totally stuck in 2006. I don't want to spoil anyone's consumer fun, but in a country where 18% of all mortgages are in arrears and a further 6% are "at risk", isn't it a bit insensitive to be listing off all the brands like some airhead with her Daddy's credit cord?

I can see where you're coming from, but driving anywhere near Kildare village at the weekend is a nightmare. Completely jammers. 18% of us are in arrears maybe , the other 82% get the money from somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Don't know if it's the same ad, but there's a BOI ad where we hear:
    "Helllo..My name's Marie,....and this is our lump sum, John.
    "Say hello John"
    "Hellllo"
    "Ah bless, he's quite shy"
    "Ah-Hem, I'm just not used to public speaking......."

What patronising bast***, thought up this ad and who in the name of Jaysus let it past quality control?
    If this ad was pitched at 5 year olds, it would be deemed simplistic and patronising.
    Wise up.
    People who have thousands in lump sums to invest are not children.
    Inform them like adults.
    :mad:

I heard this ad and had no idea idea what was going on. Great thing about these ad's is their is no quality control, in house scripts from the station are sent on, generally these companies have no idea about writing an ad and the stations don't care as long as they get money from producing and airing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Worst impression of Basil Fawlty ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

''Have you drawn the short straw with your franking machine provider?''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

"Awwwww!"
    "What's the matter hun?"
    "I need my soap, how can I have a bath with no soap?!"
    "I bought you soap earlier!"
    "Not that soap, I need my TVNowwwwwwwwwww magazine!"

:mad::mad:

Also there's an ad, think it's for Toyota, can't be sure, where the guy overpronounces the word "three", really emphasising the "th" bit, rolling it off his tongue.
    He even says "authorised" but like this: "auTHURRised" to emphasise the fact he's saying "th" and not "t" as in "three," not "tree".

:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Everytime I get introduced to John the Lump Sum, all I can think about it introducing my radio to Sam the Lump Hammer... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

''Have you drawn the short straw with your franking machine provider?''

A nation nods sagely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Heard one earlier where juliette gash was speaking French. The ad was about something that obviously wasn't important enough to remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Radio5

dulpit wrote: »

Ended up listening to 4FM last night for a bit, their ads sound like you're listening to community radio or something... :pac:

Sounds like the 4FM ads are aimed at those with issues about their appearance/body shape or size!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

"AH HERE GIVE ME A BREAK"

Give us a break indeed :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

"AH HERE GIVE ME A BREAK"

Give us a break indeed :mad:

I just heard that one now.... Today FM Breaks.

An ad that truely dispells any myth that working in either Radio or Advertising requires talent.

'Howaya, I'm Maggie Muff'

What the Christ is this '50 Shades of Maggie' garbage? So, so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

Ad for some hotel in Galway thats changed their name - 2 uinder-employed actors doing a voiceover in the style of Basil and Sybil Fawlty - utter faeces.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement