Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

New ad that I've actually heard twice in some ad breaks today.

"It's me Bob. I'm your network."

Sweet Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

soc160 wrote: »
    Kids in ad's and kids voices in ad's, awful idea, awful implementation and awful results.

I'm not sure its a kid, I just think its an American woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Currently doing my nut in is the add with the retard walking into a cafe and asking about saving money on his banking charges. Someone actually got paid to come up with this nonsence! 😡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Car dealers desperate for us to buy cars by *jokingly* referring to New Years celebrations. ANY ref to Christmas is kept to December

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CriticofScience

Jesus wept, are Nova still playing those "deddly" pallet freight multi-accent atrocities?

Two's Company. She's 28 and she met her boyfriend there. She doesn't sound smug or patronising however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I know I'll get shot down for saying this but "two gold medals Tom" on Newstalk is a ad I can't stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

6781 wrote: »
    I know I'll get shot down for saying this but "two gold medals Tom" on Newstalk is a ad I can't stand.

Naah, you're not alone. Condescending nonsense that tries to airbrush the real position in society of those with "special needs".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gloveworm

fricatus wrote: »
    Naah, you're not alone. Condescending nonsense that tries to airbrush the real position in society of those with "special needs".

Have to agree. Almost feels like there's an ad or media piece featuring someone with Down's Syndrome, they're reduced to "ha-ho, you cheeky yoke, ah shure, god love ye.". It actually seems to be a default position in real life too, strangely.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Greyham

Gloveworm wrote: »
    Have to agree. Almost feels like there's an ad or media piece featuring someone with Down's Syndrome, they're reduced to "ha-ho, you cheeky yoke, ah shure, god love ye.". It actually seems to be a default position in real life too, strangely.

absolutely, there is something so maddeningly patronizing about how people with mental and physical disabilities are treated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Sick of hearing Hot Press ads on Phantom. This is the fifth ad in a row now where they've tried to push their fluoridated water conspiracy theories, seemingly thinking that if they just keep talking about it, somebody will believe them. Honestly, for a music magazine it's quite strange that they keep mentioning it over and over in their adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Is your man who used to voice the quality suites or suitable company the same fella who says he's "Peter Morgan and I can show you how to make money on the stock exchange" and the same fella currently voicing the eircom broadband adds? Sure sounds like the same annoying voice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Leopardstown fecking inn enough said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ben Dunne's low no budget ads for his feckin gyms. Really at this stage in his career you would think he would know something about advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

bolda talk on news talk....grrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Ben Dunne's low no budget ads for his feckin gyms. Really at this stage in his career you would think he would know something about advertising.

Indeed. I would have thought gym ads should be inspiring and motivating, with a bit of 'get up and go' to them. Instead we get this monotonous, droning voice that seems uninterested in its own product.

I have just heard that pumping hi-octane advert for D2. Something to do with a barbecue. Mercy me. I am not really pushed if it's meant to be light hearted or not. Its bloody irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

11890's new one

The esso fuel ad. Is it Stephen Hawkins sister doing voice over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

National Aquatic Centre Finnie the frog so annoying sounds like Bosco :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The esso fuel ad. Is it Stephen Hawkins sister doing voice over?

Her voice makes her look as if she's very close to an orgasm. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I find that VW ad where the Dad is reading his daughter's diary incredibly creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Leopardstown fecking inn enough said

It spins though!! Like a drunk!! SPINS ROUND AND ROUND!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Urgh, could someone please lock Rory in one of his Elephant Self Storage lockups?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

dreadful add cannot stand it nought nought nought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Any ad with that knob from Fair City who can't pronounce his r.
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

That current AIG ad with some eejit excitedly listening to an AIG advert while telling his friend about it.
    What genius came up with that concept and waste of time.
    And to add insult to injury (puns appropriate) it signs off with the usual financial regulator :eek: nonsense. Is it not offensive to keep using that in adverts considering the current evidence of lack of regulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

that renault ad for new reg cars:o its on constantly

"Should Old Acquaintance be forgot,
    and never thought upon"

has dad lost the plot mom,

no he's just bought a new renault
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

[scream]
    [glass breaking]
    [scream]
    [glass breaking]
    DONAL!!!

seriously dislike :mad:

The guy with the American movie voice explaining that 3 million people listen to radio through Harvey Norman, Brennan's, and auto glass ads. A really round about way of explaining this. The face that you want to turn it off when the ad comes on is a real oxy moron!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

This one is just plain disturbing. And I've only heard it twice.

I had to research to find out what the ad is as I cant get past the "Hi I'm Ogie" in the most decrepit very old man and possibly dying right, almost Monty Python 'Throw out your dead' style but devoid of any inkling of humour, death rasp.

Its an ad for the Cosy Corner on RTE Junior radio, a sort of lullaby compilation aimed at the getting the kids to nap so you can do something productive audience.
    Starts off with some very softly spoken woman introducing the Cosy Corner over some tinkley music, then "Hi I'm Ogie":eek:

It's already giving me nightmares, can't imagine what little brains make of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The guy with the American movie voice explaining that 3 million people listen to radio through Harvey Norman, Brennan's, and auto glass ads. A really round about way of explaining this. The face that you want to turn it off when the ad comes on is a real oxy moron!

Yeah, they're really stupid ads. Some grand-voiced American dude telling you that three million people hang on Oul' Mister Brennan's every word, as if he was Martin Luther King?

Give me a break... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

The flippin HB/Supervalu ice cream ad where this one tells a story about going to Granny's for ice cream and jelly. "We used to call her Nana Kelly... or Nana Jelly" (as if that was hilarious). Aaaaaagh. So stupid.

Seriously difficult to understand how people are paid to write that crap. A 10 year old primary school child would come up with better.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Meangadh wrote: »
    The flippin HB/Supervalu ice cream ad where this one tells a story about going to Granny's for ice cream and jelly. "We used to call her Nana Kelly... or Nana Jelly" (as if that was hilarious). Aaaaaagh. So stupid.

Made worse again by the ultra-contrived "She had aaa uhhmm, a jelly mould..?"
    Yes luv, we've only heard you on around 50 other ads this year so I'm sure this is an intensely personal tale and not one you're reading off a script. I presume she was give direction to "sound natural", instead ends up sounding about as natural as a prototype Siri.

In the continuing trend of mobile phone companies actively trying to drive away customers through advertisements, the current crown must surely go to Vodafone and their like tweet like share tweet retweet share comment post freestyle rap, good lord. If I didn't know better I'd swear the ad was made by O2!

Oh and AIG taking meta postmodernism to a new level low.

All TV licence adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

DuckStab wrote: »
    Yes luv, we've only heard you on around 50 other ads this year so I'm sure this is an intensely personal tale and not one you're reading off a script. I presume she was give direction to "sound natural", instead ends up sounding about as natural as a prototype Siri.

So irritating! This 'I'm making this up off the top of my head' approach also features in one of the lotto adds where your man is listing the things he'd do for a million euro and he actually says 'I'd yap bap bap'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gloveworm

DuckStab wrote: »
    Yes luv, we've only heard you on around 50 other ads this year so I'm sure this is an intensely personal tale and not one you're reading off a script. I presume she was give direction to "sound natural", instead ends up sounding about as natural as a prototype Siri..

This, all this! The "uuuuhmmm, a jelly mould?" gets on mah tits especially. Who is unsure about the nomenclature of a mould for jelly? Oh yes, a jelly mould! Such an obtuse name for a thing that moulds ffin jelly! *hugs self, sings Bringing in the Sheaves*

Also, the bit where she says probably the only reason they went to visit their granny was to get the ice-cream and jelly. You ungrateful imaginary little rip. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"Any chance of a shift?." seriously I don't need to hear this kind of skangery innuendo on the radio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

The current dragged out Harvey Norman ad for something, not sure what.

Painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Michael Buble is this summers Neil Diamond! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Ronald Reagan, Pope John Paul II, Old Mister Brennan...
    What a load of nonsense.
    I used to love those ads that illustrated the power of radio but whoever is making them has really lost their way.
    Go back to the shooting staplers please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Don't know whether it was mentioned already but, the ad for multitrip travel insurance, that has the hostess going "Tea, coffee, " etc in a silly accent.

The bit at the end "Tea, coffee, psychiatrist, because I'm going out of my tiny mind"... always struck me as quite nasty and mean-spirited.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

The AIG insurance ad
    'Hey, listen to this cool ad about insurance on the radio'.....said noone ever!!!

Not only did someone come up with such a stupid premise, someone else signed off on it that it was good enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

mike65 wrote: »
    Michael Buble is this summers Neil Diamond! :mad:

From the amount of advertising they are doing, it sounds like they sold the same amount of tickets as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Painful.

I thinks it's an ad for ... radio ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Hi everybody,I'm Ogie....:eek:
    WTF is this creepy shyte ?????!!!

Painful.

Not surprising to have Harvey Norman associated with yet another annoying ad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Hi everybody,I'm Ogie....:eek:
    WTF is this creepy shyte ?????!!!

One of the creepiest sounding ads ever. It's for RTE's Junior Radio service.....To think it's aimed at kids :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I am not nearly mature enough for the AA ad where she keeps using the words "toolbox" and "tools". I don't know if that makes it a good or bad ad, but it definitely makes me feel like a teenage boy... *snigger*.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I'm adding the advert always on Nova for, I think, Trinity Taxis. It does my head in!

"7 0 8 double 2 double 2"

"7 0 8 double 2 double 2"

"I called. . ."

Yes, we get the point!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement