Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Heard an ad this morning for Tesco Mobile, with a pair of women singing what I think is gossip, to the tune of the William Tell Overture. Dreadful!

Rossini must be spinning in his grave, listening to that! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Those ads for UPC's "extrawdinary" Horizon service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

ottostreet wrote: »
    DIARRHEA!

Thanks for that...

even worse if it comes on while you're eating :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Seren_ wrote: »
    even worse if it comes on while you're eating :(

There's a whole website dedicated to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

"Just off the phone with Sinead in Oz"
    "How are they"
    "Great, but missing us, and little Jack's taken his first steps"
    "I think it's time we went down under"
    "Oh Great!! I'll give Abbey Travel a ring....."

Jesus :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CriticofScience

I thought this was a bizarre thing to put in your own ad. If another party was to say that your offers "can change like the weather", you would sue them for slander... Ben seems to be bringing his hanging from the balcony approach to his business..

He keeps saying "orfer"...

"How are they"

Oh yeah, I heard that. So lame, and totally cashing in on the whole emigration and "Skype grandparents" phenomenon. :mad:

It continues by the way: "... I hear they have great fares with Emirates"

Ehhh, so go onto the Emirates website? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

"Fifi, kill!"

Volume, kill

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

The new muller rice ad, my god its bad!!

• Advertisement

Jeffeferson Payroll ad on Newstalk.
    Remember "What have the Romans ever done for us?" from the Life of Brian?
    Well, the team who got this ad together think that 35 years later, it'd be hilarious to have a really bad John Cleese giving us a "What has Jefferson Payroll ever done for us"
    This is ear-meltingly bad. Probably the worst radio ad I've ever heard.
    And that's saying something.
    I cannot believe that there is an ad production agency out there who thinks that this lazy, half arsed rubbish is fit for promoting a product.
    Those guilty should be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Not really an ad but that RTE radio jingle after the news( Womans voice whispering RTE Radio ). It's asinine, and seems to have been there forever. Also, why don't they change the intro tunes for the news. They used to change every few years. The present ones are there 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is imelda may really an international music star?? hate those credit union ads and their poxy music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jeffeferson Payroll ad on Newstalk.
    Remember "What have the Romans ever done for us?" from the Life of Brian?
    Well, the team who got this ad together think that 35 years later, it'd be hilarious to have a really bad John Cleese giving us a "What has Jefferson Payroll ever done for us"
    This is ear-meltingly bad. Probably the worst radio ad I've ever heard.
    And that's saying something.
    I cannot believe that there is an ad production agency out there who thinks that this lazy, half arsed rubbish is fit for promoting a product.
    Those guilty should be fired.

Agreed. I was trying to figure out what the point of the ad was, and why they were using such bizarre accents until I realised about halfway through that they were linking a (terrible) John Cleese accent with Life of Brian.

Woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

neris wrote: »
    Is imelda may really an international music star?? hate those credit union ads and their poxy music

Credit union ads are better than bank ads. I really can't stand them new AIB and TSB ads. For a long time there, we had no ads from the banks (instead, we had a weekly documentary about them called The Frontline) and now they are back on again! Can we sit down and watch TV without having to hear terms like AIB, Permanent TSB, Bank of Ireland and so on. Apparently not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

"How are they"

Really annoying alright especially when that woman says the above word in bold,I cant even say the word now.I want to kick something when/the way she says it.....preferably that woman if she was near me :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

fricatus wrote: »
    Heard an ad this morning for Tesco Mobile, with a pair of women singing what I think is gossip, to the tune of the William Tell Overture. Dreadful!

Rossini must be spinning in his grave, listening to that! :rolleyes:

This is an absolute travesty of an advert. If somebody pitched this in an episode of the apprentice they'd be ridiculed and sacked on the spot. The fact that somebody actually gave it the green light is truly baffling.
    Poorly written lazy mess of an ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

New Advertising / Marketing rule...

LEAVE BASIL FAWLTY ALONE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The ad for Codaline's concert consists of little more than moaning instead of singing.

Dargull wrote: »
    This is an absolute travesty of an advert. If somebody pitched this in an episode of the apprentice they'd be ridiculed and sacked on the spot. The fact that somebody actually gave it the green light is truly baffling.
    Poorly written lazy mess of an ad.

Agreed! Teeth grindingly bad!

(I'd like to see you do better etc -Ed.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

That Aubrey pain in the arse that phones Liveline to plug his removal firm at every opprtunity has an ad on Newstalk now linking Pat Kenny's move from Montrose to Diggs Lane to his business.

Its an awful load of shíte.

And to be honest - The whole Pat Kenny transition thing is getting a bit tedious now.

It's hardly a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 maynoothlizard

On Radio 1 of all places there was an ad earlier today for some creatures called Damo & Ivor. Was not familiar with these punchable cretins. What are they, a kind of blackface take on salt o' d'earth Dubs?

The ad for Codaline's concert consists of little more than moaning instead of singing.

But didn't you hear, he's got high hopes

I know people hate Kildare Village ads on here, but the latest one has hit a new low: "I stroll from DKNY to LK Bennett, I eat Italian, I sip American, and this... is my bliss". :rolleyes:

What's there to say to that other than a hearty "fcuk off!!!" :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I know Cohen's concerts might be over, but I love how a show in the O2 in front of 14,000 can be considered intimate.

Would anyone else tolerate the ****e that the guy in the belvita breakfast bar ad takes? His female colleague abuses him from the very start with this dismissive attitude, it's not like he's being particularly annoying. She seems extremely tightly wound over a ****ing biscuit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Would anyone else tolerate the ****e that the guy in the belvita breakfast bar ad takes? His female colleague abuses him from the very start with this dismissive attitude, it's not like he's being particularly annoying. She seems extremely tightly wound over a ****ing biscuit

Also drives me mental they way she says 'Belvita breakfast biscuit' with her mouth full. :mad::mad::mad:

Not because of manners or anything like that. It just grates on me, can't explain why!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

"pink floyd genius roger waters bring the wall to dublin"

jeepers its on constantly on all stations, the promoters are doing a neil diamond on it going into over kill they must be having trouble selling this gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

philstar wrote: »
    "pink floyd genius roger waters bring the wall to dublin"

jeepers its on constantly on all stations, the promoters are doing a neil diamond on it going into over kill they must be having trouble selling this gig

is mary byrne supporting him?!

Home Store & More.
    Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone.

I wish it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Home Store & More.
    Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone.

I wish it was.

Yes. Me too.

• Advertisement

That posh bird with the D4 voice doing the Arthur's Day ads is very annoying.

Aaafthurs Daey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

"Dear thirty year old me...........Get out! Get out while you still can, for the love of God!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Something tells me they think it'll make people go "ah, she told him!" when in fact it makes her sound like a hideous wench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Vodafone - you need to have a word with whoever runs the Vodafone Red account. Those 'letters' are just confusing. Gondoliers, olde-worlde musicians... I generally lap that kinda stuff up but, in your case, they are either too long or the sound mixing is off.
    Please deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pjordan

Just wondering incidentally on a slightly related note, if a radio advert for a musical performance or musical features a stock or archive recording not of the actual artist who are supposed to be performing in the live show is this mis-selling or misleading advertising?

There's an example at the min in an ad for West Side Story and I'm pretty sure the backing track of the ad for the Dublin show features the OST of the movie with Natalie Wood or the original broadway production both which one would imagine would be impossible to replicate on the Dublin stage especially considering poor Natalie's been dead over 25 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

There's an ad about some fruit delivery company (I think) where two women compare their colleagues to fruit. (I think!) When they're asked to do some work they get really bitchy and nasty. I actually find the whole thing pretty uncomfortable to listen to.

There's an ad about some fruit delivery company (I think) where two women compare their colleagues to fruit. (I think!) When they're asked to do some work they get really bitchy and nasty. I actually find the whole thing pretty uncomfortable to listen to.

I know. What a pair of plums.

Ahem. ITHANKYEW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The tsb ad where yer says about the fella ringing up for a curry chip. Don't lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 maynoothlizard

Just heard a Vodafone ad with some guy who I'm guessing didn't come first in his class of voice artists pretending to be a panhandler in San Francisco and rustically discussing a newfangled invention called a metal detector. Don't remember much after that as at that point my eyes misted over and everything went black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Just heard a Vodafone ad with some guy who I'm guessing didn't come first in his class of voice artists pretending to be a panhandler in San Francisco and rustically discussing a newfangled invention called a metal detector. Don't remember much after that as at that point my eyes misted over and everything went black.

Urgh. Don't get me started on the Vodafone Red campaign. Not only is the gondolier's letter annoying, but I can barely understand a word he says. Grr.

New ad out for Renault where a guy is moaning at his mate for being too tight to buy a drink but can still afford a new Renault. How does this make it on to the radio? It sounds like a cringey overheard conversation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

New ad out for Renault where a guy is moaning at his mate for being too tight to buy a drink but can still afford a new Renault. How does this make it on to the radio? It sounds like a cringey overheard conversation!

sounds like a petty childish bitchy rant

Ad currently on Newstalk about generic medicine from Clonmel Healthcare or somesuch.
    But it has this ubiquitous oul wan with a voice that goes thru ya informing us
    "I trust my kids, I trust my doctor, I trust Clonmel healthcare"
    " Ask you're doctor for generic medicine from Clonmel...."
    :(
    "Ask me bollix"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Ad currently on Newstalk about generic medicine from Clonmel Healthcare or somesuch.
    But it has this ubiquitous oul wan with a voice that goes thru ya"

Ruth fkucking McCabe, the Granny in Damo and Ivor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

June Rogers at Red Cow - same ad as last year - still utter faeces.

• Advertisement

Ruth fkucking McCabe, the Granny in Damo and Ivor.
    Thanks for that.
    I want this person off the airwaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

"I WILL WIN TICKETS TO AN ADVENTURE PARK!"

Fair play to you. Now be quiet, young lad.

I will ask Rachael to make my sandwich

I'll have a kids meal and a fruuuuce juice...

neris wrote: »
    sounds like a petty childish bitchy rant

My rant or the one in the ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

This one is particularly ridiculous, it's not funny nor does it get the message about the price of the car across effectively... is it cheap or will you be so broke you cant afford a drink after buying? The guy shouting at his mate seems a tad insane, the background noise makes it sound like they are at a football match of some sort yet they storm off??? Just what???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I really don't get this ad either. Most companies try to make the people who own their products aspirational. Are they trying to say that people who own Meganes are right fisted round dodgers with stroppy man children as friends??

In a sea of terrible radio adverts this truely is the worst I've heard in a long time

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement