Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

What about those self promotional ones RTE are putting out at the moment....

...the ones with Duncan Stewart and Eanna Ni wots-her-name from Moony Goes Wild having a chat with "Eastenders" Peggy Mitchel about a party.

Holy Jaysus! :eek: It has to be the worst!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

sudzs wrote:
    What about those self promotional ones RTE are putting out at the moment....

...the ones with Duncan Stewart and Eanna Ni wots-her-name from Moony Goes Wild having a chat with "Eastenders" Peggy Mitchel about a party.

Holy Jaysus! :eek: It has to be the worst!!! :mad:
    The other ones are just as bad. Don't get me started.

Bond-007 wrote:
    The other ones are just as bad. Don't get me started.

Oh sweet gentle jesus!

Have just hear the other one with Pat Kenny and Pillock Moony...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

123.ie, just log on and save money....

he he, i love it... it's a great tune...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

about five years ago i used to work in the radio center in RTE. i had to listen to take after take of cheap, sh1te, irratating radio ads. as i'm sure you have guessed... it's the same five people who do all the ads. and believe it or not they get paid feck all (in house RTE anyway). i remember one guy refusing to record an add for sky tv because the pay was so bad.

anyway... i hated those bastards and i still do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,577 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just listening to Today FM there, heard that stoopid ad for diet coke, where the girl describes the experience of diet coke... Thought it had gone forever, but apparently not...

That girl has quite possibly the most annoying voice in the world...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,577 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oh and to add to annoying ads, that one with the 2 from Fawlty towers (Well people ripping off their voices anyway) that one sucks too...

I'm guessing there's a thread on annoying ads, i apologise if i'm venting in wrong place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some REALLY bad ones that came up recently....

"SEAN! GET THE WAFFLES!"

"Phone bill there? Hang on let me get the oven gloves...."

"Finally its finished. Just hit print, and..." (5 seconds of wailing thats worse than nails on a blackboard)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

BEST
    Daft Dave, absolute travesty that he got taken off

WORST
    Little arse monkey asking his dad to get Irish Broadband
    Steve Davis
    Car ad, i think it's for mini, with the young lad pretending to drive it "rrrrr, a touch of handbrake and a flick of that responsive steering...", annoying is too small a word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"Roar on Leinster"

That is all.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

WORST
    Little arse monkey asking his dad to get Irish Broadband

yeah that's the worst ad on the radio. the culchie kid asking his daddy to get broadband. "Daddy, Daddy, when are we going to get broadband?" bash.gifredcard8kq.gifbat.gif

and the Birdseye Potato Waffles ad is **** too.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Is that kid a "culchie" ? Doesn't sound like any real accent that I recognise......but yeah - VERY annoying!

The BEST one on radio at the mo is the one with Neil Delamare advertising something.....can't remember what........oh yeah, "LOTTO!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

TmB wrote:
    Some REALLY bad ones that came up recently....

"SEAN! GET THE WAFFLES!"

"Phone bill there? Hang on let me get the oven gloves...."

"Finally its finished. Just hit print, and..." (5 seconds of wailing thats worse than nails on a blackboard)

I see you listen to newstalk ;)

They're on TodayFM too. No station is safe.

Latest one to bug me is one for Eircom Phonewatch (they've moved from buuuuuh-gluuuuhhhhsssss to ads that don't make sense). They say that when thieves break into your house, the first thing they look for is car keys. Fair enough. But why does phonewatch help any more or less than another alarm system? The buuuuuhhh-gluuuhhhsss will still be 15-30 miles down the road before the cops get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The inkjet ad.
    The guy is trying to print but cant and starts shouting Noooooooooooo!

When I listen to the radio and am leaving the office, the last thing I want to hear is someone getting stressed in an office. Puts me in bad form just listening to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 sim2

The Meteor television ad with the cat. I know this is a radio thread but........

Where did that girl get her voice..."You got her a little bowy friend"

Arrrrrrggggggggghhhhh!
    It's the same voice that is on everything!!! People in Ireland had different accents which makes things interesting so why don't ad makers consider this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Does anyone know who sings the Eircom 11811 ad? Love her voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

dulpit wrote:
    Just listening to Today FM there, heard that stoopid ad for diet coke, where the girl describes the experience of diet coke... Thought it had gone forever, but apparently not...

She's very annoying alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

micmclo wrote:
    The inkjet ad.
    The guy is trying to print but cant and starts shouting Noooooooooooo!

Worst ad ever!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

How about that ad for Blueface? A woman with a dreadful Dort accent telling us in singsong gloating tones about how she's making "phune colls" using this cursed blueface service. She deserves to be clubbed to death with a VOIP handset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

READS OF NASSAU ST
    READS OF NASSAU ST
    READS OF NASSAU ST

SHUT THE F**K UP YOU LOUD BASTARDS! Jesus h christ I heard the name of the shop the first 500 times you said it you pricks :mad:

Firetrap wrote:
    How about that ad for Blueface? A woman with a dreadful Dort accent telling us in singsong gloating tones about how she's making "phune colls" using this cursed blueface service. She deserves to be clubbed to death with a VOIP handset.

Hey - don't blame her....maybe Blueface distorts your voice :eek:

Stephen wrote:
    READS OF NASSAU ST
    READS OF NASSAU ST
    READS OF NASSAU ST

SHUT THE F**K UP YOU LOUD BASTARDS! Jesus h christ I heard the name of the shop the first 500 times you said it you pricks :mad:
    whoa, calm down, kid. it's not that bad.:rolleyes:

Yes it is, kid.

123.ie enough said. :mad:

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote:
    Yes it is, kid.
    don't call me "kid" but I do agree that Louie Walsh must die.

I hate that ad for an airport down the bog somewhere. there's a fella with a strong culshie accent claiming he was robbed at the airport. I've no idea what the hell he's waffling on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

That Reads of Nassau street is that the one on 2fm at the mo that they repeat the name of the shop over and over and over in the space of 30-40 seconds cos that has to be the most annoy ad EVER....

For safety reasons I can't say what the funniest ad I've heard in ages is.. :(

el diablo wrote:
    don't call me "kid"

I was just returning the favour :p

Petals: its impossible to get away from it, its on all the national stations :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Stephen wrote:

Petals: its impossible to get away from it, its on all the national stations :mad:

Is that it? I don'tknow what it is I try to zone out when it comes on it's the most annoying ad ever..

Home Store and more...
    Home Store and more...
    Home Store and more...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

I hate any ads featuring bratty kids with mid-atlantic accents.Why dont they feature normal kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Vodafone Broadband ad, for telling lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

That Marks and Spencer ad is the best ad ever.....the chocolate sauce ad......I work in Marks and I have never seen so many people buying something......even though it's 5.50 of something!! Nuts.

Although maybe it was the tv ad and not the radio ad that made them buy it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I know it's been mentioned at least twice already but that fcuking poxy bastard Diet Coke ad with the american whiney bitch is pure headwreck.
    I was in a shop today buying a bottle of the stuff and that ad was on the shop radio...I felt like just putting it back in the fridge and getting pepsi.

But you didn't. The ad made its point.

No, I didn't because I was in the queue to pay, had just been toiling in the afternoon heat and was ready to drop.
    Tell me how I was influenced by some stupid yank c*nt going on for 10 minutes about how it makes her sparkle or whatever it is she's faffing on about....you'd want to be a pretty sad bastard to let an ad like that influence you into doing anything. It's not clever, it's not funny, it just plays on this pseudo American vibe advertisers seem to think we lap up in this confused little nation, and it just pisses loads of people off.
    Yep, obviously another advert that's working...:rolleyes:x2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

dulpit wrote:

YES, oh my god yes, this drives me mental, if I could punch her each time she comes on it would only ease 99% of the aural trauma!
    I never listen to the radio, but now I started this job where the guys have it on FM104 all day, mob rules but that doesn't stop me turning it down whenever I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I hate that "Ikon, its spelt with a "k" ad (you know the one, starts off normal with a guy telling you what you can get at or with Ikon, but every time he says "Ikon" some young one pops in saying "It's spelt with a "k").

There's also some ad know for phone bills where a guy burns his hand on the phone bill when it gets posted through its letterbox. I think they got the voice actors from "Over-Actors Anonymous"

People keep saying the fact that I remember these ads meen that they are working, they're in my head making me think about those products so I'm more likely to buy/use them. Thing is, most ads are so annoying to me that I'd rather nail my privates to a burning building than actually buy anything from these places (Like Harvey Normans, Eurocycle/Eurobaby, Fitzsimons of Templebar, Coke, etc)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

El Diablo, I only noticed your gif now, but if you post anything like that again in Radio, I will ban you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:eek:

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote:
    I hate that ad for an airport down the bog somewhere. there's a fella with a strong culshie accent claiming he was robbed at the airport. I've no idea what the hell he's waffling on about.

There's an airport in a bog ? :eek: Or is that slang and the airport is down the toilet ?

Anyways, I don't think an ad "for" an airport would work if it highlighted that you could get robbed/ripped off at the airport, do you ?

I think I know the ad you mean but I haven't a clue what it's for......guess it works, then ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Sea travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I just heard an ad for Meteor on the radio and it's a complete rip off of an NTL ad. "How much are texts?' 'They're Free!' How much are weekend calls?' 'They're free!' When they get through the list of freebies, the stupid guy asks, 'How much did you say blah blah blah was again! FFS, this was done to death last summer by NTL, think of something new and not copy something rubbish from last year, please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

BEST
    Daft Dave, absolute travesty that he got taken off

heeees BACK!

Heard him this morning... its like an old friend (plus monkey) returning from a 6 month holiday.

W.B. Dave! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

This most annoying ad on the radio is the one for the specsavers daily contact lenses. :mad:

A stupid annoying bitch is crying about throwing away her contact lenses.

What annoys me most is her rubbish attempt to pull off crying; it's so fake:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

The most irrating ad is either the inkjet.ie ad or the orbit laser eye clinic one. Do the people who make these ads not listen to them before they're broadcast, they're horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The current ad for some broadband company talking about 'fall' and nothing but wet leaves between now and Christmas.

Its Autumn damn you! :mad:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Best ad ever has to be the 'Catch-It-If-You-Can' Catch Chocolate Bar - Whatever happened to that ?

• Advertisement

I can't be the only ones who's sick to the back teeth of that GE money advert, the one that apes Christy Moore. I had nothing aginst it at first, but have been a captive audience to todayFM all week and it's on literally every break.

"...or log on to the oul' webshite" ;)

:mad:

While I'm on the subject, at least I'll never have to buy the new James Blunt album (not that I ever would, mind) since the radio ad for this plays me all the "best" bits every 15 minutes throughout the day.

I've come to the conclussion that it's not necessarily just the ads that are to blame here but the frequency with which they bombard our ears...with this in mind wouldn't it make more sense for advert makers to make a few ads in a series and mix it up a bit instead of the parade of same old same we get now?
    Familiarity breeds contempt...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement