Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

The idiot Maalox ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

"A good dose of Snake Oil" - he sounds so pathetically woeful and hopeful all in one sentence. It makes me smile every time (and I still have no idea what they are advertising)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

"Nought nought nought nought"

Fcuk off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

The ad for Crumlin Childrens Hospital. It's effective yes, but no-one wants to hear a baby crying on the radio, again and again and again being drummed into your ear... drives me insane when it comes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

delaad wrote: »
    The idiot Maalox ad.

Is that the one with the bloke with the indigestion 'Just as I'm trying to enjoy our daughters birthday party' and says at the end 'mmm that cake looks great'?

It's just so cringeworthy, even the actor seems to be rushing through the 'script' in embarrassment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

soc160 wrote: »
    The ad for Crumlin Childrens Hospital. It's effective yes, but no-one wants to hear a baby crying on the radio, again and again and again being drummed into your ear... drives me insane when it comes on.

They have to generate their CEO's under the table payments somehow,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Is that the one with the bloke with the indigestion 'Just as I'm trying to enjoy our daughters birthday party' and says at the end 'mmm that cake looks great'?

It's just so cringeworthy, even the actor seems to be rushing through the 'script' in embarrassment

Awful awful ad

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

These new Sunday Business Post ads (preparing for the week) are death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    These new Sunday Business Post ads (preparing for the week) are death.

Instant way to alienate pretty much the entire IT sector, where the people making decisions quite frequently don't *own* an iron let alone spend their Sundays using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiler Durden

Who's your man that used to do the Newstalk inspirational ads, reminiscing about his time playing basketball and whatnot? Anyway, he's currently annoying me with some Angel Halo buisness I-dunno-what. His voice really grinds my gears, I can't think of how he could sound any more insincere.

And your man that did the ad. a while back with the line "represents yooooo!" Another lad that'd be better suited to reading toddlers stories.

The pair of them are really getting to me these days. If theirs are "radio voices" then I'll be getting rid of my radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

The Xmas Panto advert. They're using the same Mr. Brennan gobsh*te actor to voice all seven dwarves, and he's doing a ****e effort to disguise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

the ads for the philipines for charity is getting tedious now. voices that all sound the same shouting down the radio at you. so many of the ads with the same lines its hard to tell what charity their begging for

That's the one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

There's one doing the rounds at the moment, for heartburn/indigestion, and it involves a D4-head complaining he has heartburn/indigestion and his wife says something like "Why not take (insert name)? It's medically proven to relieve your symptoms" (Blah blah, load of codswallop she'd never had said in a real conversation) and then he says "Great, now I can have some birthday cake, delicious!"

It's all so false and ugh.

fussyonion wrote: »
    There's one doing the rounds at the moment, for heartburn/indigestion, and it involves a D4-head complaining he has heartburn/indigestion and his wife says something like "Why not take (insert name)? It's medically proven to relieve your symptoms" (Blah blah, load of codswallop she'd never had said in a real conversation) and then he says "Great, now I can have some birthday cake, delicious!"

It's all so false and ugh.

That's "The idiot M***** ad"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The new Hot Press magazine ad.

Christ, it's embarrassing.

You are no longer relevant, at all. Just give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Birneybau wrote: »
    The new Hot Press magazine ad.

Christ, it's embarrassing.
    Haven't heard it yet - care to enlighten us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

serfboard wrote: »
    Haven't heard it yet - care to enlighten us?

"Music"

"Environment"

"Film"

"Sex"...

"Blah"

"Blah"

Punctuated by some girl saying "Hot Press" at random intervals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

"Borry, Borry, turn off your olorm"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

MJ23 wrote: »
    "Borry, Borry, turn off your olorm"

Cringe inducing indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

"Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

My first time to hear it this year today. I see why it irritates so many :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Trebor176 wrote: »

My first time to hear it this year today. I see why it irritates so many :rolleyes:

I don't even think it's a real goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Get over it lads....It's a goat cause. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Micheal o Muiriheirteaigh stepped down from broadcasting in 2010 or something. Us non-GAA lovers breathed a sigh of relief.
    But since then, he's on every Movember & Blind charity ad on the radio assaulting the eardrums.
    "Kal-ose-ur-highs"[/QUOTE]

And new this morning..."The Eye-or-ish Hoss-piss Fow-un-day-shun".

Kal-ose-ur-highs"

Get ready to hear it approximately ten thousand times between now and Xmas day. How much must they spend on advertising?!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭TheSetMiner

" Do you sometimes find yourself asking the same questions again and again?

Do you sometimes find yourself asking the same questions again and again?

Spot the early signs of alzeihmers bladahblah..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

mattser wrote: »
    Get over it lads....It's a goat cause. :D

You're kid-ding right?

You're kid-ding right?

You're just milking it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Whenever I hear this ad, all I can think of is Andy Parsons on Mock the Week saying "Hi, I'm Dave, and like the TV channel, I repeat the same $hit over and over again" and then repeating the line a minute later in the same round.

Then I realised what the ad was for and felt horrible that I cracked up laughing every time it came on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

As long as that 20 minute long (Barrys tea maybe?) ad about Dad buying a train for his son on Christmas doesn't come back, I'm happy

I find myself asking again and again why a voice-over artist with a speech impediment keeps getting work. Seriously, how does having a lisp not exclude you from such work? Surely having a speech impediment on the radio is the equivalent of an ugly model or a professional athlete with no sporting prowess. Doesn't make sense and drives me mental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

theyd probably raise more money by telling people if they get so much donated by a date next year they wont play the ad at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I find myself asking again and again why a voice-over artist with a speech impediment keeps getting work. Seriously, how does having a lisp not exclude you from such work? Surely having a speech impediment on the radio is the equivalent of an ugly model or a professional athlete with no sporting prowess. Doesn't make sense and drives me mental!

I've just heard her voicing an ad for Toyota Yaris, or should I say Yarisss.

Or having a guy with no ability to pronounce German tackle the phrases "Wir leben Autos" or "Vorsprung durch Technik".

mackerski wrote: »
    Or having a guy with no ability to pronounce German tackle the phrases "Wir leben Autos" or "Vorsprung durch Technik".

Irish are crap when it comes to cars anyway.

Awe-dee and Pyoo-joe are just plain wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

TANKS A TOUSAND!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

As long as that 20 minute long (Barrys tea maybe?) ad about Dad buying a train for his son on Christmas doesn't come back, I'm happy

I don't think they've used it since Peter Caffrey, the actor doing the voiceover, died.

I don't think they've used it since Peter Caffrey, the actor doing the voiceover, died.

They have definitely used it since then

Not to mention rennawlt and voakes-wagon.

Heard it for the first time today too. Christmas must be here.

'Tis nearly tradition at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have, he died about 5 years ago and it was in use last year.

Or his other clanger 'Good-in-tag'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Heard it for the first time today too. Christmas must be here.

'Tis nearly tradition at this stage.

One of the very few radio ads that I like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Any of those Ads with the German bs at the end are so dated, they were vaguely catchy at the end of the 1970s (?) when they first aired but please...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Although attempts by car advertisers to be authentic in the pronunciation of the name can occasionally fall very flat. Early British ads for Hyundai pronounced it something like "Hhhyyyun-day".

We say "Hi-un-die" of course, but the Americans are worse: "Hoonday"! :eek:

Or his other clanger 'Good-in-tag'!

That deserves another eek: :eek:

Any of those Ads with the German bs at the end are so dated, they were vaguely catchy at the end of the 1970s (?) when they first aired but please...:rolleyes:

I can't agree. The German language may not be pretty, but it has never not been cool.

As long as they have a real German speaking the phrase, it's "alles Kuhl" with me.

Yeah, I know... :rolleyes:

"Day-cha" is how they are pronouncing the car that I would normally call "Day-see-ah".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

"Day-cha" is how they are pronouncing the car that I would normally call "Day-see-ah".

Yeah, and I heard it being called "Dacha" on British TV.

fricatus wrote: »
    Yeah, and I heard it being called "Dacha" on British TV.

That's how I've always pronounced it. I can't be sure of the second syllable but the first is certainly "daa" and not "day".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If in doubt, consult Top Gear. :pac: They pronounce it as "dah-cia" too.

One of the very few radio ads that I like

YOU BALLBAG!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement