Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

They have definitely used it since then
    MYOB wrote: »
    They have, he died about 5 years ago and it was in use last year.

Cheers lads, I was afraid they'd stopped it, I like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The fcuking goat is back:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Every time I hear the goat I smirk and think of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiler Durden

Embrace The Goat, embrace him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's an ad for, erm, Centra maybe? With a Scandinavian guy talking about cupboards. I keep thinking its for Ikea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Seems to be day 1 of the goat ad, make the pain stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

miketv wrote: »
    Seems to be day 1 of the goat ad, make the pain stop!

the little boll1x first appeared at 7.20 am on Newstalk this morning

hilarious_goat_photobombs_640_02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

the little boll1x first appeared at 7.20 am on Newstalk this morning

Can you find out where he lives and we can take out a contract on him? :D

"Quick Sheila, down it, we're going to go into the second hour!"

Quite like that Renault ad. Brought a smile to my face. We all know someone who goes into meltdown when the parking ticket is up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Quite like that Renault ad. Brought a smile to my face. We all know someone who goes into meltdown when the parking ticket is up.

I just came on to post this, laughed out loud in work when I heard it! Genuinely funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

'Tick tok tick tok tick tok tick tok tick tok..what's that sound?'

I'll tell you what that sound is. It's me changing the station to escape that awful ticking! Why would you put an incredibly annoying repetitive sound as the basis for your ad?

I think I have misophonia or something ;)

I think Renault have finally got their act together in terms of ads. The "Morgan, turn on the heating" one is quite good. Some of their radio stings are awful, full of sexual innuendos like "the Renault Clio, do you remember your first time?" Oo-la-****in-la

There's no touching that Toyota ad. on the telly. Where he forgets to put the handbrake on the Hilux. You just can't replicate that on the radio. It's so much harder to make a good one, a memorable one.

Like "Munnnnnkaaaaaay!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

'Tick tok tick tok tick tok tick tok tick tok..what's that sound?'

I'll tell you what that sound is. It's me changing the station to escape that awful ticking! Why would you put an incredibly annoying repetitive sound as the basis for your ad?

I think I have misophonia or something ;)

I was coming on to complain about that indicator one. Sweet sufferin jaysis!
    I've no idea what the ad is for, because like you - as soon as I hear the f*cker I switch stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

There's no touching that Toyota ad. on the telly. Where he forgets to put the handbrake on the Hilux.

there was a good car ad years ago for volkswagen with a little girl in it and things kept going wrong for her and shed just say bolllox and the end of the ad you see the father putting petrol in to a diesel engine and going bolllox

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"Starring Westlife's Bryan McFadden"

Has he joined them again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

"Starring Westlife's Bryan McFadden"

That really makes me want to go.

That ad for homelessness with Christy Moore in it. I like him, but when he talks, it just sounds the lead into one of his songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

that macdonalds ad with the Christ Be Beside Me alarm does my nut in. EDIT - ****, is it morning has broken? damn you religious upbringing and mass I havent been to in decades. no matter ... i hate that ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

siblers wrote: »
    I know its for a good cause but the bothar charity ads are highly annoying.

you'd thought they would have changed it this year..but no such luck:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

WHEN THE DES KELLY VAN COMES DOWN YOUR STREET

I kind of like it now :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuaYWFuzDFWau5yMW_qSJnUfWUuT_F1WyxlI_-CCoVSlqqTONA

Yep, Goat.
    We're there now!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuaYWFuzDFWau5yMW_qSJnUfWUuT_F1WyxlI_-CCoVSlqqTONA

Yep, Goat.
    We're there now!
    :D

Serves him right for spoofing that he'd be able to supply a village with milk.

I wonder how long Goat's enthusiasm lasted? I'd say not long after the crate he was in was cracked open.

"Are we there yet!?"

Yes Goat, you're there, and you're pretty much in Hell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

The ad for the new Nissan Qashqai (Nissan's cash cow?:o) is quite clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The ad for the new Nissan Qashqai (Nissan's cash cow?:o) is quite clever.

It might be if thought up by a six year old - perhaps it was. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

It might be if thought up by a six year old - perhaps it was. :D

I'm young at heart;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats that ad which ends with some "American" accent trilling? :mad:

mike65 wrote: »
    Whats that ad which ends with some "American" accent trilling? :mad:

The one where the ad goes from being slightly grating to absolutely hideous in a second?

Think its for some payments firm I'm never, ever going to use. Likely someone read a book on writing radio copy from 1985 and assumed you couldn't get away without singing numbers.

Good Christmas ad for done deal at moment

The one where the ad goes from being slightly grating to absolutely hideous in a second?

Think its for some payments firm I'm never, ever going to use. Likely someone read a book on writing radio copy from 1985 and assumed you couldn't get away without singing numbers.

If you disregard the awfulness of the ad (hard), what kind of software company has only a telephone call to action and no website?

• Advertisement

Came on here to whinge about that. Absolutely criminal. People should be locked up for it. If thre's an ad. in a foreign accent you have me lost immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The ad for the gaiety panto with the child actor doing the fake speech impediment "it twoodend be twistmasss",4 more weeks of this !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oops69 wrote: »
    The ad for the gaiety panto with the child actor doing the fake speech impediment "it twoodend be twistmasss",4 more weeks of this !

The Tivoli panto one isn't much better ("Hi, I'm Buffy").

Get off the national radio please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"Are we there yet!?" Yes Goat, you're there, and you're pretty much in Hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

dulpit wrote: »

Agreed annoying in the extreme.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

dulpit wrote: »

They must be dropping a fortune on advertising. I hear this ad everyday on DriveTime on Radio 1.

Literally any ad on radio nova is atrocious. Have they been exposed to every day life in the last 20 years at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Oops69 wrote: »

That's not even the worst bit for me, the bit where they go IT'S THE GAEIDDDDDEEEE PANTEEEEW in their half Dublin half American accents drives me crazy. There's a T in Gaiety douchebags!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Heard what must be the worst ad on the go. Some american going on about sepa payments and then "sings" the phone number for the company

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    Heard what must be the worst ad on the go. Some american going on about sepa payments and then "sings" the phone number for the company

Yup, because SEPA has lots to do with America...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Literally any ad on radio nova is atrocious. Have they been exposed to every day life in the last 20 years at all?

Totally agree.

Just as well they break them up with a song every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Lot's of horrible adds mentioned, do any of them make you switch station as soon as you hear them?
    I have 2 that I automatically switch as soon as I hear them;
    "are we there yet?" goat &

any add that starts with "It's almost x o'clock, time to ......"
    Nova, Newstalk & Today FM all guilty there

edit; the fake Aussie on about "bickpacker travel insurance" on Phantom is almost at that status as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

paulbok wrote: »
    any add that starts with "It's almost x o'clock, time to ......"
    Nova, Newstalk & Today FM all guilty there

Heard one the other morning at 8 am- it's nearly 8am, time to go to Such and Such Volkswagen for a test drive.

As if any car dealership is open before 9!

ivytwine wrote: »
    As if any car dealership is open before 9!

Service department almost inevitably will be these days. May not be able to do much more than give you a brochure for out front though.

The Loop ad., with the voice of the fellah I was giving out about last week, blabbering on about aftershave. He gives me the gick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

That is the worst of the worst. It makes no sense to sing the number. If there was much under it and she sang along to the music, then maybe.

There was one on Spin the other day to do with a perfume website, trying to encourage guys to go there to buy perfume for girlfriends etc. It was followed by the same type of VO encouraging girls to go the website to buy presents for boyfriends.

That's what i picked up out of it anyway, because it made no sense at all. Also a pointless ad because even though I know it was to do with perfume, i've no idea what the website might be

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

There’s an ad for something that has some ****ehawk droning on about volcano’s, how they’re great to look at etc. I don’t know what the ad is for but the guys voice drives me insane. The embodiment of smug.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Have been meaning to post about this one for a week or two but see that a few people have beaten me to it. Its so bad that I actually love it and look forward to the bit where she goes all acapella out of nowhere for no reason. I think she sounds a bit like she is singing some sort of Native American chant from the old west but that might be just me.

I can't help but imagine that it was outsourced to a jingle company found on the web for shoestring budget ads, I had the same feeling about the old "8202020" taxi ads with the girl singing out of tune.

Fran1985 wrote: »
    That is the worst of the worst. It makes no sense to sing the number. If there was much under it and she sang along to the music, then maybe.

There was one on Spin the other day to do with a perfume website, trying to encourage guys to go there to buy perfume for girlfriends etc. It was followed by the same type of VO encouraging girls to go the website to buy presents for boyfriends.

That's what i picked up out of it anyway, because it made no sense at all. Also a pointless ad because even though I know it was to do with perfume, i've no idea what the website might be

I think its meant to be a 'rap-like' delivery of the 'lyrics' of the script. But it makes both of them sound like they're suffering a TIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The Loop ad., with the voice of the fellah I was giving out about last week, blabbering on about aftershave. He gives me the gick.

I never get the point of ads for airport shopping. You can't go there unless flying, and if you're flying you'll invariably wander in anyway... What's the point? :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement