Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

na to me that "nine nine nine nine nine" one is irredemable.

its like halfway through it the girl realises she just cant sing it and starts to cringe.

bloody awfull ad. cant even remember what its for.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

just heard a desperate ad for a jason byrne gig. the whole ad seems to be taken up with bleeps covering foul language while he go on a rant about the show being nothing like love/hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

That ad on Newstalk where yer man is blabbering in Irish for about 30 seconds. The only bit I understand is his name at the end of it. Does anyone know what the ad is for? What the fcuk is the point of it?

The ad for the Gaiety Panto is really grinding my gears now. It must be in 50 times a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

neris wrote: »
    just heard a desperate ad for a jason byrne gig. the whole ad seems to be taken up with bleeps covering foul language while he go on a rant about the show being nothing like love/hate.

I wouldn't look out the window to see that big shouty eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is a new car ad where the narrator keeps getting interrupted by wolf whistles. I now return the favour by interrupting the ad with a station change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

The unfunniest man in Ireland doesn't disappoint with the unfunniest ad on radio.
    MJ23 wrote: »
    I wouldn't look out the window to see that big shouty eejit.
    If I got free tickets, had drink bought for me all night, was put up in a hotel for free and given €1,000 I still wouldn't go.

OK, maybe I'd take the grand, and listen to my iPod for the evening - complete with comedynoise-cancelling headphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ad for q park advertising parking vouchers for Xmas. Awful ad and an awful Xmas gift to get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Birneybau wrote: »
    "Music"

"Environment"

"Film"

"Sex"...

"Blah"

"Blah"

Punctuated by some girl saying "Hot Press" at random intervals.

It's the worst ad I've heard on radio in years.

It's just so badly made. Just completely and utterly awful in every aspect of its production.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiler Durden

Fran1985 wrote: »

There was one on Spin the other day to do with a perfume website, trying to encourage guys to go there to buy perfume for girlfriends etc. It was followed by the same type of VO encouraging girls to go the website to buy presents for boyfriends.

I heard it this morning - it's hard to get across how bad and amateurish that ad. is . It's absolutely woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Whats the sceal with some provincial stations using the same man or woman for every second VoiceOver/Ad

One unnamed station actually had the presenter doing an ad during the adbreak.

BAI... hello?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

vector wrote: »
    Whats the sceal with some provincial stations using the same man or woman for every second VoiceOver/Ad

One unnamed station actually had the presenter doing an ad during the adbreak.

BAI... hello?!

People are saving money. Radio stations are presumably offering themselves as cheaper alternatives - "advertise with us and we'll provide an all-in package!"

The presenters rattle off the voiceovers for a bit of cash, the station secures advertisers and the companies save money on hiring outside voice talent.

I don't think they're breaking any rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Definitely not breaking any rules. Sure you have the likes of Marty Whelan advertising for Tesco and he has his own show on Lyric.

And when it's community or local radio there often is a limited amount of voices anyway so presenters are bound to do ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

ivytwine wrote: »
    Definitely not breaking any rules. Sure you have the likes of Marty Whelan advertising for Tesco and he has his own show on Lyric.

And when it's community or local radio there often is a limited amount of voices anyway so presenters are bound to do ads.

Oh God, do we have Marty - I'm sick of his bloody voice and I wish he would hurry up and pay off his mortgage in Malahide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Just heard the Barrys tea christmas ad. I can't stand it. Goes on for an eternity. Station change everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Heckler wrote: »
    Just heard the Barrys tea christmas ad. I can't stand it. Goes on for an eternity. Station change everytime.

Can't stand it either. Absolute nonsense.

"Blah blah blah, I says... blah blah blah, she says... blah blah blah he says..."

Awful ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don't hear it very often, due to how much buying 90 seconds of airtime costs compared to a normal length ad. Don't mind it at all myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

The festive season can now begin in earnest, because finally The Greatest Christmas Ad in History has returned to our airwaves!

God bless you John from Axa, may you have a very adequate Christmas and neutral New Year!

It is doubly apparent that the recession is indeed over, as after the lean years spent in the wilderness due to no one wanting his "D4 is too down-market for me" accent, my nemesis has returned.
    Lending his questionable vocal talents both to Meteor - "Hew mush oar smoarshfewnes?" (How much are smartphones) - and "Ew Broyan's Woyans" (O'Brien's Wines).

Deck the halls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Ad for q park advertising parking vouchers for Xmas. Awful ad and an awful Xmas gift to get

And they are a robbing shower.

A car park voucher is 1 step above a voucher for camels.goats. banana trees and waters and their steps that are very far down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

There's an ad on beatfm not sure if it on national radio but its awful. basically a guard pulls a lad over sayin he was speeding! lad tells him that a particular jewellery shop has sale on and guard says ill lead you follow. I think its awful considering how serious speeding is and the damage it causes

I know his old mate Mike Murphy owns [or did, pre NAMA] it, but Gaybo advertising a small shopping centre in suburban Dublin is a bit of a low for him.

MYOB wrote: »
    I know his old mate Mike Murphy owns [or did, pre NAMA] it, but Gaybo advertising a small Kip of a shopping centre in suburban Dublin is a bit of a low for him.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

MYOB wrote: »
    I know his old mate Mike Murphy owns [or did, pre NAMA] it, but Gaybo advertising a small shopping centre in suburban Dublin is a bit of a low for him.

Nothing too low for that ego maniac - he loves the sound of his own voice. Would put me off ever going near the place if he's associated with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

A car park voucher is 1 step above a voucher for camels.goats. banana trees and waters and their steps that are very far down

Not unless you actually need it. Would be handy if you are parking daily in Stephens Green for work etc. Would rather something like that which would actually save me money compared to a voucher for a shop I would normally never be in.

Oh and I got a gift of Chicks from Trocaire last year from a "Friend"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Strituck wrote: »
    Would rather something like that which would actually save me money compared to a voucher for a shop I would normally never be in.

As someone texted in to Ray D'Arcy recently: "Cash - the voucher you can use everywhere that never expires".

• Advertisement

I've always wondered how awkward it would be when you receive one of these trocaire or bothar gifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've always wondered how awkward it would be when you receive one of these trocaire or bothar gifts.

I got a concern hammock or something from my aunt one year. Haven't called to hers at Christmas since... :mad:

My opinion of the gifts is if you want to donate to charity - good for you.
    If you want to give someone a present - good for you.
    If you want to send goat to africa as a gift for someone else - shame on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Especially if you've been known to give out about charity CEO salaries, how much money actually makes it through to the end recipients, or the whole thing of sending farm animals to poor countries where they can barely afford to feed the poor thing or pay for its upkeep (vet's bills, anyone?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

My 8 year old niece got a bothar gift from gran some time ago. Response was, "What's the point? You don't really get a present." Hard to argue with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

The Jervis shopping Centre ad on TodayFM (and possibly others). The Vo does my fcuking head in with the affectation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

"Ah Dave! Great to see you, even if you are looking a bit smug!"
    "Well I just got that project in on time, all thanks to Sabio!!!"
    "Ooh, I've got a project due in as well!!"
    "Well, talk to Sabio then!!"

"I sure will. Fancy a shag?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

It's been around for ages, but still annoys me every time I hear it - the one that starts off with 'close your eyes' from Micheál O Muircheartaigh. Who thought that an ad telling people to close their eyes was a good idea to put on the radio, where a huge proportion of the listeners are made up of drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

PaulieC wrote: »
    The Jervis shopping Centre ad on TodayFM (and possibly others). The Vo does my fcuking head in with the affectation.

'Jervis shipping centre, the shipping centre in the centre of shipping'

It's weird alright. I think I've heard her voice other ads and she doesn't speak like that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

anybody know if that music from the mcdonalds add can be downloaded? Need it for a joke on someone!!

It's weird alright. I think I've heard her voice other ads and she doesn't speak like that

It's defo shupping centre in the centre of shupping

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

vitani wrote: »
    It's been around for ages, but still annoys me every time I hear it - the one that starts off with 'close your eyes' from Micheál O Muircheartaigh. Who thought that an ad telling people to close their eyes was a good idea to put on the radio, where a huge proportion of the listeners are made up of drivers.
    Ah, you must mean, "Kha-lows yor highs"
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oh I was meaning to gripe about that. Awful ad, would make me actively avoid Jervis if I was in Dubland. Who came up with that tagline too? Shopping centre in the centre of shopping? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

So many terrible ads on the radio these days. What kind of geebags thinks them up?

There's a Boots ad on now which has clearly been sped up to fit a smaller slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

That lad with the 'American Accent' who does the Aiken promotions ads.

Sponsored by the Irish Indeepednint

Revolting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We're going to hit bothair Goat before Christmas, the contract has been accepted by a west Dublin Gang. They'll hit that cawksuker before he boards the boat To Africa. They're going to leave him on the asphalt for all the world to see..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

We're going to hit bothair Goat before Christmas, the contract has been accepted by a west Dublin Gang. They'll hit that cawksuker before he boards the boat To Africa. They're going to leave him on the asphalt for all the world to see..

Maybe they could take out' Doesn't that bate Banagher' as well!!

Choo choooooo.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The current Trocaire ad ends, after the usual bull about chickens and goats making people happy with this " you're making more people than you know happy when you make a gift to Trocaire " talk about stating the bleedin obvious or wha!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

There's a long-winded one at the moment by some phone or computer company (?) wishing customers a merry Christmas and talking about how the wife is talking to her sister online, the husband is watching a movie and the kids are dreaming of video games. Missing the point of Christmas a bit, aren't they? Y'know, family being together and all that?

stannis wrote: »
    There's a long-winded one at the moment by some phone or computer company (?) wishing customers a merry Christmas and talking about how the wife is talking to her sister online, the husband is watching a movie and the kids are dreaming of video games. Missing the point of Christmas a bit, aren't they? Y'know, family being together and all that?

UPC. Its at least realistic to what people actually end up doing after about 6pm on Christmas day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Not too bad a gift to be fair

Georgia+Salpa_Rosanna+Davison.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Not too bad a gift to be fair

Georgia+Salpa_Rosanna+Davison.jpg

In fairness, that's the first thing I thought... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Funny+Camels+In+Car.jpg

Its seems the little b@stard has arrived in Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mdonoghue

there's one with advertising a car and a lad is givin out the details of it and someone whistling as your whistling at a fine lady and then he starts again ..... it is overplay on the radio, annoys me in the mornin :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

There is one on at the moment for Harvey Norman, with a child with the most annoying accent, " 8 more sleeps 'til Santa".......and " Go Harvey go" in the most annoying " Australian" accent ever.............

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement