Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

How does goat write that letter back home. He has hooves for flip's sake.

Although how can he talk is probably a more pertinent question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

stannis wrote: »
    How does goat write that letter back home. He has hooves for flip's sake.

Although how can he talk is probably a more pertinent question.

Or supply milk, being male. Then again, any "female" goat I ever saw had a beard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I've heard one for National Radio Cabs lately on Newstalk where a father is telling his adult daughter that he can track her taxi journey online through some sort of sat nav app. Not only very annoying but also very creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Wotsername

I don't like the one where there's a knocking sound, and in a very woe betide you tone, the voice-over man says "This is the sound of the television licence inspector knocking on your door"
    I always imagine the sound of a door slamming and a kid saying "And this is the sound of me ma telling him to fcuk off!"

I like the one with your man singing "Pay yourself" to his licence tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

I've heard one for National Radio Cabs lately on Newstalk where a father is telling his adult daughter that he can track her taxi journey online through some sort of sat nav app. Not only very annoying but also very creepy.
    As well as the fact that the oul guy sounds 87 years old while his daughter sounds 15.
    "Y'ill always be me Baby....":eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Probably not very current, but the 8202020 ad where it's basically maths is hard so we've changed a 20% discount to a €2 discount and free waiting outside your gaff to make it easier for you.

If I had a taxi arrive at my house and he had started the meter before I got in the car I'd tell him to jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

The best ad on radio ever has to be the Barry’s Tea ‘Turn the moment gold’ Christmas add.
    The one with the father buying the train set.
    Kid: ‘You’ll never guess what Santa brought…’
    Father: ‘Well doesn’t that beat Bannagher, isn’t Santa the smart fellow…’
    No fake accents, no pretentious statements, just a great little story.
    Pity it’s only on at Christmas time.

This ad is getting a lot of negative comments on this thread.
    But look at the above quote.
    It stems from 8 years ago (first page on this thread), when we were all partying and buying property and nobody gave a fcuk.
    It was universally LOVED back then!!
    Is it just that we have become much more cynical and curmudgeonly nowadays that we can't appreciate the simple sentiments of nostalgia.

Now, stick on the kettle there and make us a cup a tea, good woman...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It stems from 8 years ago (first page on this thread), when we were all partying and buying property and nobody gave a fcuk.
    Is it just that we have become much more cynical and curmudgeonly nowadays that we can't appreciate the simple sentiments of nostalgia.

Nah, I'd say it's just overkill... Played too often each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Totally agree!! The adult daughter has to call her father when she is ready to go home (although why she'd ever want to go back there is beyond me) and her Dad orders the taxi, choses the way she pays, monitors her movements on GPS.:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Andrew maxwells stand up ad is really condescending. " I even named the website after me to make it easier for you" awful tone of voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

The airtricity ad with the winter creeping up on us theme irks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

ofcork wrote: »
    The airtricity ad with the winter creeping up on us theme irks me.

Is it a moose munching on a meringue? A chihuahua chomping on tortilla chips? No! It's another marketing degree being put in the shredder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

that awful ad with the painful lispy kid saying 'this year im only going shopping with you if we are going to Charlesland' or something like that....

to which my response (as Mom) would be 'great, youre a flippin nuisance to bring shopping anyway so I will go anywhere EXCEPT charlesland ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Meangadh wrote: »
    That's not even the worst bit for me, the bit where they go IT'S THE GAEIDDDDDEEEE PANTEEEEW in their half Dublin half American accents drives me crazy. There's a T in Gaiety douchebags!

"Tanks a tow-sint", you're asking for a slap. :mad:

There's your problem right there. When I first heard it, I thought it was thoughtful and touching. But a thousand times later, it makes my skin crawl.

Why did they get an old man to play the father to a young child anyway?

Is your business SEPA ready? :mad:

"Ready, aim........"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Is your business SEPA ready? :mad:
    It's just about NAMA ready at this stage..

I can't figure out who to blame:
    - The advertising writers/creators who came up with the script
    - The casting director for choosing someone who realistically sounds about 5 times older than his daughter (e.g. 75 years old versus 15 years old)
    - The "actors" who are paid to realistically portray parent/daughter but leave enough awkward gaps in the "conversation" to sound as if they haven't rehearsed

Or the people who signed off on the whole thing and deemed it to be sufficiently professional and catchy to get us to buy into.

Note: I'm now consciously avoiding NRC cabs because of the radio ad. (It joins Kildare village on my own personal boycott list)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CriticofScience

It's just about NAMA ready at this stage..

Is that the one where yer wan starts singing the phone number or whatever to the tune of jingle bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I see Foras na Gaeilge are trying to make the most of their budget surplus before the end of the year...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

- The casting director for choosing someone who realistically sounds about 5 times older than his daughter (e.g. 75 years old versus 15 years old)
    - The "actors" who are paid to realistically portray parent/daughter but leave enough awkward gaps in the "conversation" to sound as if they haven't rehearsed

Or the people who signed off on the whole thing and deemed it to be sufficiently professional and catchy to get us to buy into.

Note: I'm now consciously avoiding NRC cabs because of the radio ad. (It joins Kildare village on my own personal boycott list)

Writers, Creators, Casting Directors, Actors???

If only that was the process....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

I actually Like both the NRC ad and the Kildare village ad. Use NRC all the time as I'm in Dublin but haven't ventured to Kildare village yet. Only one ad ever put me off a product and that was the Harvey Norman ads, never been in one despite having decorated three houses in as many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Don't worry, it probably won't last long. It's the death rattle of a traditional cab company that's being blown out of the water by Hailo. (Notice the lame attempt at a dig at the fact you can pay for your Hailo cab by putting your card details in your "fly by night phone")?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Why did they get an old man to play the father to a young child anyway?

Dude, you're missing the point...the young boy's voice is the old man remembering when he was small and got a train set from Santa, and now he's buying one for his kids (from him, Santa will get them what they asked for as well).

I still love that ad, but am glad that it's only aired for a few weeks a year.

Yakuza wrote: »
    Dude, you're missing the point...the young boy's voice is the old man remembering when he was small and got a train set from Santa, and now he's buying one for his kids (from him, Santa will get them what they asked for as well).

I still love that ad, but am glad that it's only aired for a few weeks a year.

My point is that the old man has children young enough to get presents from Santa.

So he sounds about 70, he's buying a present for his son who is less than 10 years old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Had a pure Vietnam flashback there today about the Tom Crean: Antarctic Explorer ad. Maybe the worst ad ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Had a pure Vietnam flashback there today about the Tom Crean: Antarctic Explorer ad. Maybe the worst ad ever made.

Which one? The Guinness TV one is a classic. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lImxHh-lhI

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

South Georgia, as big as my thumb!

The stuff of nightmares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

KBC the bank of you....has nobody told them about the last six years...**** off. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

KBC the bank of you....has nobody told them about the last six years...**** off. :mad:

KBC have been on PR overdrive since the whole, 'harass a priory hall resident to suicide' thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

The Penneys Christmas ad seems to be used every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Ken Early sounds like a stoned Fintan O'Toole in sex pest mode and his ad is doing my head in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

When will the panto ads end!!! Non stop billy Barry shrieky kids at every ad break. I hate kids! I hate amateur theatre!! Leave me alone!!!

Also am I the only one who thinks the Kildare village ads are incredibly sexist and patronising towards women."I sooo need a handbag...giggle...:and shoes....giggle...and a dress....giggle"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Wotsername

fg1406 wrote: »
    When will the panto ads end!!! Non stop billy Barry shrieky kids at every ad break. I hate kids! I hate amateur theatre!! Leave me alone!!!

Also am I the only one who thinks the Kildare village ads are incredibly sexist and patronising towards women."I sooo need a handbag...giggle...:and shoes....giggle...and a dress....giggle"

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

fg1406 wrote: »

I do, especially where she's paired with her oh-so-sensible husband.

But that's advertising, dealing in broadest brushstrokes imaginable. We're ALL idiots to the advertisers.

• Advertisement

There's a recurring ad for Munster Joinery. They talk about windows (including Aluclad!) and they mention that their windows or PVC or something is so good you get improvements of 0.4 (or something similar). They don't mention what this figure is about, and it bugs the hell out of me.. Stupid ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

dulpit wrote: »
    There's a recurring ad for Munster Joinery. They talk about windows (including Aluclad!) and they mention that their windows or PVC or something is so good you get improvements of 0.4 (or something similar). They don't mention what this figure is about, and it bugs the hell out of me.. Stupid ad.

I think it's therms or something. Something to do with double glazing....

U-value.

Are you seriously telling me you don't have off-the-cuff knowledge of how to carry out a Building Energy Rating assessement on a window? They teach that in first class

U-value.

Are you seriously telling me you don't have off-the-cuff knowledge of how to carry out a Building Energy Rating assessement on a window? They teach that in first class
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

KBC have been on PR overdrive since the whole, 'harass a priory hall resident to suicide' thing.

Exactly right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Apache pizza happy days, 9.99 happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

ivytwine wrote: »
    I do, especially where she's paired with her oh-so-sensible husband.

But that's advertising, dealing in broadest brushstrokes imaginable. We're ALL idiots to the advertisers.

Well, it's to appeal to the masses more so. It's not like they can make individual ad's for each person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ben Dunne: don't worry lads, I'll write me own ads, my own awful ads

Ben Dunne: don't worry lads, I'll write me own ads, my own awful ads

Awful they may be, but at least they're to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

DuckStab wrote: »
    Ken Early sounds like a stoned Fintan O'Toole in sex pest mode and his ad is doing my head in!

Who he ?

mattser wrote: »
    Who he ?

Ken Early?

2930_53_blog_entries_921_328x250.jpg

Formerly from Off the Ball on Newstalk, now on Second Captains podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Ken Early?

2930_53_blog_entries_921_328x250.jpg

Formerly from Off the Ball on Newstalk, now on Second Captains podcast.

Oh right :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

Ken Early?

Formerly from Off the Ball on Newstalk
    And the weakest link on that programme, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

i like ken early (on the podcasts at least). although the radio add isnt great... :o , (murph is the weakest link, sorry murph)

i really dislike the guy in the axa add on tv and radio, his accent irritates me more then it should...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Who is the guy who has been doing voice overs for ad's for around 30's years on RTE. He has a baritone voice and does the Gaitey ad's. He has also done the Viscount biscut ad on TV. Any ad he does annoys me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement