Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

That stupid Global ad "if it's good enough for Jim, it's good enough for me" Ya thick eejit. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

What that ad for a website were you sell your unwanted gifts that appeared around Christmas with the guy that has a Dublin accent? Here's one line I can remember: "Come on I've been goin' bald since I was nineteeeeen!"

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pleb41

uggybear wrote: »
    What that ad for a website were you sell your unwanted gifts that appeared around Christmas with the guy that has a Dublin accent? Here's one line I can remember: "Come on I've been goin' bald since I was nineteeeeen!"
    It's for DoneDeal.ie as far as I remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

ofcork wrote: »
    Ad for the irish independent how much is your property worth,is the tiger back?

Its like 2006 again, ad for the mail on sundays32 page property supplement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

pleb41 wrote: »
    It's for DoneDeal.ie as far as I remember

Thanks, it's been bugging me for ages

Blackrock Clinic - where our bank balance needs yours. :rolleyes:

The p & g affect, i really want my knee to meet the voiceovers face. Patronising ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Not an ad as such, but the today fm main female VoiceOver annoys me now. When she first started I thought the Dublin accent was different but now it's just annoying. It doesn't help that she does most of the awful today fm breaks ads either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

Just a general comment, I wish for weather or road traffic updates they would use people with as little accent as possible. there is one on RTE from 'eh eh' roadwatch, Aoife somebody or other, her accent is just awful...I know she cant help it but its just painful listening to her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I also wish they would stop treating us all like kids in those traffic reports.
    ' The roads are wet this morning, so please slow down '. thanks for that, I was thinking of speeding up to uncontrollable speeds.

But the worst advert bar none at present has to be the one about some super clever dog using a time machine, in some new film. It has so many annoying elements. A woman's voice over that hurts your brain, strange voice and sound effects, a narrative that is more hyped sounding than transfer deadline on Sky Sports News, what sounds like a terrible film etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

while I am on a bit of a rant, that ad for phoenix magazine, who does that?
    The fella with the most irritating nasal whine I have ever heard.
    How could Phoenix ever think that ANYONE would buy their magazine based
    on this ad...maybe he is well known (not by me though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

ofcork wrote: »
    Ad for the irish independent how much is your property worth,is the tiger back?

Would be worth getting the 2006 version and comparing... followed by a good session of crying...

soc160 wrote: »
    Would be worth getting the 2006 version and comparing... followed by a good session of crying...

Been alot of propert ads on radio lately. Their like feckin buses. None for years then a plethora of them. Just waiting for the apartments in bulgaria to come along again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

NIMAN wrote: »
    ' The roads are wet this morning, so please slow down '. thanks for that, I was thinking of speeding up to uncontrollable speeds.

Going by the amount of idiots behind the wheels of cars, I think it's justified! People are so dumb it's only a matter of time before the AA start telling us which is the brake and which is the accelerator!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Not an ad as such, but the today fm main female VoiceOver annoys me now. When she first started I thought the Dublin accent was different but now it's just annoying. It doesn't help that she does most of the awful today fm breaks ads either

Is that not a Waterford (or that area) accent ? It is annoying whatever it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Again, not really an advert, but the RTÉ Radio 1 and 2fm idents do my nut. A whispered branding sounds lousy.

[Electronic Whoosh]
    "RTÉ... Radio 1"

[Psst Noise]
    "2fm... FM... FM... "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

That ad for fruit from Smithfield market or whatever it is, is back again... "long-faced Linda from accounts' 'bitter like an old lemon' or some such. Crap ad, borders on bullying in the workplace tbf. Would actively put me off getting anything from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

That ad for fruit from Smithfield market or whatever it is, is back again... "long-faced Linda from accounts' 'bitter like an old lemon' or some such. Crap ad, borders on bullying in the workplace tbf. Would actively put me off getting anything from them.
    Yep, it's nasty. They're asked to do some work and they act like complete bitches. So so nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I know it's not radio, but the ads that play on Spotify are utterly terrible. The worst bit is that (a) you can't skip (unless you pay, which is fairy nuf) and (b) they have maybe 3 ads that they loop all the bloody time. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dulpit wrote: »
    I know it's not radio, but the ads that play on Spotify are utterly terrible. The worst bit is that (a) you can't skip (unless you pay, which is fairy nuf) and (b) they have maybe 3 ads that they loop all the bloody time. :mad:

di.fm used to have TWO ads - one for US post offices and one for Scion cars (hideously pre-boy-racered Toyota/Lexus models). That got pretty tiring pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Why does Spin 1038 force us to listen to the most abominable ads? It was playing when I was getting my lunch today, and they were playing that goddamned EuroCycles ad. I felt as if my ears were being stabbed by a needle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Every f*ckin time that UPC ad comes on Newstalk I have to turn it down. Why does it have to be so much louder than the rest of the talk on the station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

madmaggie wrote: »
    That stupid Global ad "if it's good enough for Jim, it's good enough for me" Ya thick eejit. :eek:

Hadn't heard it for ages before it popped up the other day. Argh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Hadn't heard it for ages before it popped up the other day. Argh!

They don't just do windows you know.... Cringe.

NIMAN wrote: »

But the worst advert bar none at present has to be the one about some super clever dog using a time machine, in some new film. It has so many annoying elements. A woman's voice over that hurts your brain, strange voice and sound effects, a narrative that is more hyped sounding than transfer deadline on Sky Sports News, what sounds like a terrible film etc.

Not an ad, but the weather forecaster saying "it's wet out there, don't forget your brolly". A brolly on a wet day, I never would have thought of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Why does Spin 1038 force us to listen to the most abominable ads? It was playing when I was getting my lunch today, and they were playing that goddamned EuroCycles ad. I felt as if my ears were being stabbed by a needle.

Serves you right for listening to Spin SW

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

All those ads for 'P & G' products make me reach for the dial or stick a cd in rather than listening for about 3 mins while they go to great lengths explain what the P&G effect is....grrr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

The one for Dacia Sandero....where the demented sounding granny is speaking to her grandson (who's in need of a clip round the ear!)

It makes me want to deflate the tyres of every Dacia Sandero I ever see (which btw, I never have!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I see the Hireland ads with Sean Moncrief are back. Pity he keeps saying her-land, not hire-land.

Dairy gold ads trying to sound like a m&s ad. I don't like to dollop butter onto anything, it's just wrong!

• Advertisement

RH149 wrote: »
    All those ads for 'P & G' products make me reach for the dial or stick a cd in rather than listening for about 3 mins while they go to great lengths explain what the P&G effect is....grrr!

they are desperate. For a large global company youd think theyd come up with better ads for their brand names no one gives a monkeys about P&G the company

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

What about that the ZIP firelighters mini drama, you can get them in "your favourite retailer"!

who knew?

Written by someone who's never had to light a fire in their lives......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

madmaggie wrote: »
    Not an ad, but the weather forecaster saying "it's wet out there, don't forget your brolly". A brolly on a wet day, I never would have thought of that.

Brolly.

Who uses that word, apart from the cast of Coronation Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Brolly.

And the panel of the Sunday Game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Brolly.

I would have thought it's fairly common in Ireland. Most people I know would say it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

The ad for SSE Airtricity with the awful 'gone with the wind' oirish accent is really bugging me the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

The infuriating Renault ads with the annoying couple somehow being able to buy popcorn at the cinema or afford another hours parking all because they bought a 2014 Renault.

jvan wrote: »
    The ad for SSE Airtricity with the awful 'gone with the wind' oirish accent is really bugging me the last few days.

that sounds like the girl who was the chef in Raw.

Those boots perfume ads are dire and total overplay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Wotsername

I just heard a great ad for 'Valentines Day on rte'
    A Dublin woman talking about herself and her French husband "learnin' each other" about the language.

"like Pettit Pois, I used to say Pet-it-Poss, But no, It's Petty Pwah. See, and Helmet, He used to say Helmet, but I told him no, It's hel-meh, hel-meh, see? We learn each other". :)

Suzuki Swift advert presented as if its some form of public service announcement, in a hectoring voice. Who thought that was a good idea?

• Advertisement

Sexy north of the island accent though, if not a little bit too serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

yeah is her brother the guy from the liberty insurance ad or Michael (Rhino Horn) Flatley's sister?

Also the proctor and Gamble (P&G) ads are rubbish as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The stupid, patronizing 3 ad about the use of the 'pause' is driving me bonkers. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Irish Life. Alll that waffle abut children. Parents are a superior race X 100. We get the message.

And its voiced by Vivienne from FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Voice : "What 3 words would you use to describe the Open University?"

Woman : "Tools......"

Couldent have said it better myself..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Voice : "What 3 words would you use to describe the Open University?"

Woman : "Tools......"

Couldn't have said it better myself..:D

Lol I can here to post exactly that. Could not believe that ad got passed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Those two gee-bags talking about fish oil burps then belching all the way through the ad. This is on national radio.

Hideous.

The low budget (i.e. Ben Dunne style) ads for the Connacht Hotel in Galway City featuring Shay Livingstone. His amazing Ad offers guests 'complimentary' breakfast - what next complimentary beds? :rolleyes:

And what about the TSB ads which try and make them out to be some super new bank rather than the decrepit, badly-run, bankrupt institution that had to be bailed out by the taxpayer. :mad:

The low budget (i.e. Ben Dunne style) ads for the Connacht Hotel in Galway City featuring Shay Livingstone. His amazing Ad offers guests 'complimentary' breakfast - what next complimentary beds? :rolleyes:

Hotel room rates are quoted without breakfast far more often than not now.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Hotel room rates are quoted without breakfast far more often than not now.

I have to admit that I haven't stayed in an Irish hotel in a while but the concept seems cheap and scabby to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement