Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade plates- I don't know everything, oops sorry!

Options
  • 29-10-2007 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

I started another thread about (what is aparently) a "trade plate"; the thread was locked before I got an opportunity to read the replies and respond. I'm not a "car painter" (the name I actually wanted to use was not available) and do not work in or have any association with the motor trade. I was quite surprised to see how people literally jumped on my ignorance of "trade plates"; well I would advise anyone who is so quick to make judgements about someone, based purely on a name not to be so hasty in their judgement in the future; I wouldn't be asking any "doctors" here for medical advice either!
    I asked a few buddies of mine (all car drivers but not associated with the "trade") if they were aware of trade plates and what they meant; none of them had heard of them or were aware that such things existed. Boards can be a useful forum to share knowledge but when someone makes a genuine mistake (about a pretty obscure, unimportant detail anyway) it's regretable that some users feel the need to "piss themselves laughing". Anyway I'm no longer "ignorant" about trade plates; least now I can concentrate on painting that car of mine;)

Comments

If you don't know it all, at least pretend you do.

That seems to be the way around here unfortunatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ever hear the expression 'When you're in a hole,stop digging' ? :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Carpainter, I'm not trying to be a smartass here but perhaps if you'd worded your original question in a different manner, you might not have got the abuse (such as "Donkey" from empirix, which was totally uncalled for) that you got. Instead of claiming these plates were illegal, just ask the question more directly, claiming a certain amount of ignorance towards the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yep, that's it folks, ensure you WORD your questions correctly emphasising ignorance.

if you don't do that and someone jumps all over it then it can hardly be their fault now can it? :rollseyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

deman wrote: »
    Carpainter, I'm not trying to be a smartass here but perhaps if you'd worded your original question in a different manner, you might not have got the abuse (such as "Donkey" from empirix, which was totally uncalled for) that you got. Instead of claiming these plates were illegal, just ask the question more directly, claiming a certain amount of ignorance towards the matter.
    The thing about not knowing stuff is that it's very hard to know what you don't know.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Anan1 wrote: »
    The thing about not knowing stuff is that it's very hard to know what you don't know.;)

You sure about that? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Anan1 wrote: »

its always nice to know what you don't know

image_4676127.jpg

;):p

Advertisement