Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of switching BT to Eircom... Any advice?

Options
  • 29-10-2007 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey so my folks have had iol in it's various incarnations (IOL, esat BT, BT Ireland) for the guts of 9 years. The current plan that is now running is...
    Deluxe Package
    Speed: 3Mb download/384Kb upload
    Contention: 24 : 1
    Download Cap: 30GB
    Price: €40 per month

and it's not really needed as it's not used that much during the week, plus the Dell wireless router is all but f*cked and needs to be replaced and so basically everything is pointing toward getting something a little cheaper and a combined wireless modem. Coupled with the fact that we live in the Drogheda/Slane area and the options aren't going to be amazing, and the fact that there's no connection fee, they're thinking of switching to...
    eircom broadband home plus
    Speed:2Mb download/256Kb upload
    Contention:48 : 1
    Download Cap: 20GB
    Price:€ 29.99

I know that Eircom has had a pretty bad rep for a long time, and I personally am on Smart in Dublin and couldn't be happier, but I really can't think of much to dissuade the switch to eircom broadband home plus. Is there anything I should be aware of (aside from the drop in contention ration/cap neither of which will have too much bearing as usage is pretty low) before swapping? Also, about how long do they take between ordering and actual connection?

Any feedback or ideas welcome, and sorry for yet another one of these, "should I go for blah blah" threads, I've read around though and don't see toooo much anti-Eircom-ness as of late.

Cheers!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they should switch to a bundle when they downgrade, the persuasive reason(s) to stay with BT is

1. cheaper anyway each month
    2. calls to UK landlines are free , if they call the UK a fair bit its a no brainer cost wise.

cons are connections fees for bundles and whether the wireless modem is free or not , it is with eircom .

in both cases bundles are cheaper than separates and is where the big savings are made .

technically they are equal .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Thinking of making a similar switch from bt to eircom myself.

Is there any downtime when switching to eircom from a reseller?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭wheatln2

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    they should switch to a bundle when they downgrade, the persuasive reason(s) to stay with BT is

1. cheaper anyway each month
    2. calls to UK landlines are free , if they call the UK a fair bit its a no brainer cost wise.

cons are connections fees for bundles and whether the wireless modem is free or not , it is with eircom .

in both cases bundles are cheaper than separates and is where the big savings are made .

technically they are equal .

Thanks for the response S.B. Meant to say that we actually have an Eircom business line already and so are already paying our phone and rental with them, and basically giving €40 to BT for broadband.

I will look into the Eircom bundles on offer though, cheers man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Look at the BT ones too , eg

http://business.btireland.ie/OnePlan1.html

eircom do not really compete for businesses that call the UK a lot .

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Can I add that I am with Imagine ( www.imagine.ie ) for over a year and I fine them good. Decent Tech Support. I find that Eircom are just too expensive. Imagine sometimes waiver the connection charge

Option Always On Plus
    Monthly Charge 1 €19.99
    Connection charge 2 €24.99
    Router rental (monthly) €2.99
    Downstream speed 3 2048 Kbps
    Upstream speed 3 256 Kbps
    Contention ratio 48 to 1
    Allowance4 20GB

• Advertisement
Advertisement