Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat peeing in inappropriate places

Options
  • 29-10-2007 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭

We have two cats, sisters from the same litter, both spayed, and about 4 years old. They've very different characters, one, Buffy, is quite small but quite confident and definitely the dominant of the two, and Holly, despite being bigger and when it actually comes to a scrap the stronger of the two, who is quite nervous and 'scatty' for want of a better word.

Recently Holly has started occasionally peeing in inappropriate places in the house. This isn't just a quick spray for territorial reasons, we're talking a full bladder full puddled on the floor. Just a few minutes ago I heard a psssssst sound outside my office door and there she was, crouched down in the hallway peeing a great big puddle onto our nice wooden floor!

We have two litter trays, currently placed next to each other, and although we don't always clean them out after each and every wee, are kept pretty clean IMO. There's not that much room to put them a long way apart, as I've heard recommended, but would that help do you think? I've also heard that something like FeliWay might help, ehat do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 what2choose?

Hi, my cat used to pee (and foul) inappropriately as well. Its been a couple weeks now *holding thumbs* since . Only he's only six months old.

I was advised to specifically keep the cat litter box(es) in the same place constantly. Because they become really used to 'going' in the same area. Saw it myself, he was playing when suddenly he rushed for where the loo used to be, he was confused to see that the loo wasn't there, but 'toileted' anyway, to my horror:mad:.

And another tip is to clean messes up with non-bio products, as the normal have an amonia (or similar) which smell similar to their own toilet smells.

I think what helped me specifically is that he seemed to have specific rooms he would toilet in (even though they may be in diff places in the room), I started to keep the doors to those rooms closed, unless there were people in the room. At night time specifically, and had the cat loo constantly available in the same spot too.

It does seem strange tho that she is only starting to do this now. Could there be a possibility that she could have a bladder infection, or a medical condition? Have you spoken to your vet?

Just a random thought...do your cats toilet outdoors aswell? If so, is it possible that her usual exit (i.e. window) is now closed, and that she doesn't get out in time?

Cats wouldn't normally dream of messing about the house if they are used to going outside or in a litterbox, so I would tend to ask a vet for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

because of her age i would bring her to a vet, she may have a bladder infection...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

*Page* wrote: »
    because of her age i would bring her to a vet, she may have a bladder infection...
    She has had one or two bladder infections (cystitis) in the past, but they've been easily spotted, i.e. constantly visiting her litter tray, straining to go but nothing coming out and small drops of blood in what little urine did come out. This has usually happened when she's been under a lot of stress, such as just after coming home from the cattery where she shared a cage with her domineering sister, but there's no sign of anything like that right now. Last night it was fair streaming out over the floor, and she doesn't show any other signs of discomfort or anything. Could it still be a bladder infection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

It could i had an adult female cat her problem was lack of control... it turned out to be a very small infection in her bladder not her track, were she would just release with out warning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Generally if there is a change in habits it is best off bringing the cat to the vet to check for bladder infections etc. As the cat is 4 she should know well were the litter box is but for some reason not getting to it on time. Also if there is a large stream it could be something to check out, urinating more volume than normal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement