Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for opinions on Ballyfermot

• 29-10-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi, 1st time on boards and was just looking for some opinions on Ballyfermot, Had a look at existing threads but not much there.

Thinking of buying a house in 'Lower Ballyfermot' over the next few months and I don't really know that much about the area. Was looking at O'Hogan Road, Muskerry Road & Landen Road. Anyone here that lives there or knows anyone in the area and knows anything about it?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

CAT24 wrote: »
    Hi, 1st time on boards and was just looking for some opinions on Ballyfermot, Had a look at existing threads but not much there.

Thinking of buying a house in 'Lower Ballyfermot' over the next few months and I don't really know that much about the area. Was looking at O'Hogan Road, Muskerry Road & Landen Road. Anyone here that lives there or knows anyone in the area and knows anything about it?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks!:)

I live up the road in Bluebell. I have some advice, STAY AWAY. Its a kip, I know loads of nice people there but there is a large number of scumbags who ruin it for everyone. Landen road is also near a famous halting site called Labre park. If you are that desperate to get your foot on the property ladder I would move to the part near the GAA club, its a little quieter there. I heard of loads of burnt out cars over the Halloween period in the whole Ballyer area, I would move elsewhere if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It's bleedin' rap-eh

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

rb_ie wrote: »
    It's bleedin' rap-eh
    please make at least the token effort To be helpfull :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm from Ballyfermot, lived there for over 20 years and couldn't wait to get out tbh.

By the sounds of it you're just another person in the long line of people that want to buy a house close to the city and so are looking at previously "untouchable" places like Crumlin, Drimnagh and Ballyfermot, etc. as an alternative. Sometimes this works out but if you're not from an area like this it could take you a lot of time to adjust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CAT24

Thanks for your opinions!! Took a drive round the area one of the nights and didn't really like what I saw. Lots of kids hanging around corners, greens etc. Don't think I would feel comfortable walking around the area at night.

I'm actually from Drimnagh so I think I'll stick to what I know!

• Advertisement

Not much difference between lower Ballyfermot and Drimnagh tbh.

Believe me there's no comparison!

There certainly is. I know Drimnagh quite well, my Dad is from there originally and I have a lot of friends who grew up there too.

I'm not getting into a discussion about Drimnagh. I just wanted opinions on Ballyfermot.

Hey, ya don't have to do anything ya don't want to do. That's the beauty of freedom of choice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BSmith

Don't be Crumlin bashing!

Yep I live in Templeogue now tho.

Em I would say if you are used to the high life you will find it hard to adjust, but it really isn't very bad, I know a lot of people who live there, in the long run, safe up lots of drinking money and move up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mirissa

Hi,

I moved into Lower Ballyfermot 2 years ago in one of the streets you mentioned and haven't had any problems. It's on the edge of Ballyfermot and really close to Inchicore/Kilmainham/Chapelizod. I'm female and will walk to/from the shop/bus stop on my own at night. I find the young kids around us fine. A handful of nights since we moved in I've heard commotion at night (you know the thing - people after a few drinks making a bit of noise as they pass). Haven't had teenagers hanging about my road much but I guess that's the thing that varies from road to road.

If you are looking at a particular house/road I recommend vetting it out for a few nights - drive there and go for a walk around. That's what we did and we weren't turned off.

Spent a year looking at areas in Cabra/Crumlin/Drimnagh. I feel that the roads you mentioned are no better or worse than the cheaper roads in Cabra/ Crumlin/ Drimnagh. A house in Lower Ballyfermot will cost less for the same.

Went to Ballyfermot in the end as we were priced out of other areas and we are as happy here as we would've been in a similar road in Cabra/Crumlin/Drimnagh. We're close to city centre, have 3 beds and a good sized garden. I'm not from Dublin and have never lived in a corpo area before so maybe I don't have the same prejudices that some Dubs may have grown up with about sentiment towards particular areas.

Hope that helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's a kip.

Thanks for the replies, we have decided against Ballyfermot in the end. Went for a drive around the area a couple of times and just wasn't pushed on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the misses got a house there she rents out, while we were doing it up, we were comtemplating living there. then we were robbEd 5 times by the junkies living next door. the house is now rented to people from the area. if your not from there you won't survive 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My folks are from there so I'm there often enough. An absolute hole of a place. There's alot of older people living there and they're really nice, a good laugh, real Dubliners, etc., but there is a huge amount of scummers around, loads of junkies and filth bags. Not to mention the pik--TRAVELLERS in labra park.

It's as rough as a badger's arse. Steer clear.

DaveMcG wrote: »
    It's as rough as a badger's arse. Steer clear.
    Haha. Ya must love Tallaght so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tallaght's pretty huge and thankfully I live in a decent part, as do most of my mates, but yeh, it has alot of rough parts too that I try to avoid.

Advertisement