Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A loss for "starter cars" and a new era of "starter bikes"?

Options
  • 29-10-2007 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

As every1 of us is listening to the bullsh*** that the government has come out with in relation to learner dirvers in the last few days, i can only help feel a decline of the "Great starter car" era and a begining of a "Great starter bike" era. A 1.0 car will no longer be of any benifit, for awhile anyway... Every1 will have to go on Mammy or Daddy's insurance for the six month waiting period... I can feel a rise in the demand for starter >125cc motorbikes as an accompaning driver won't be required for the driver(Althoughd driver must when driving such a vehicle display a yellow fluorescent tabard bearing the letter ‘L’ not less than 15 centimetres high in red on a white ground, in clearly visible vertical positions worn over the chest clothing) ... Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

As every1 of us is listening to the bullsh*** that the government has come out with in relation to learner dirvers in the last few days,
    I know, can you believe it? Imagine trying to make sure the person in charge of a 1 tonne potential killing machine knows what they are doing before driving alone.

i can only help feel a decline of the "Great starter car" era and a begining of a "Great starter bike" era.
    People want to learn to ride a bike, generally, because they want to ride bike. I would be surprised if there was a stampede of people rushing to buy bike simply so they can control a motor vehicle unaccompanied while learning. Between the insurance, protective gear and tuition it would be pretty expensive. Plus, not everyone want to ride a bike in winter.
    A 1.0 car will no longer be of any benifit, for awhile anyway... Every1 will have to go on Mammy or Daddy's insurance for the six month waiting period...
    Youi mean like they do in proper countries?
    I can feel a rise in the demand for starter >125cc motorbikes as an accompaning driver won't be required for the driver(Althoughd driver must when driving such a vehicle display a yellow fluorescent tabard bearing the letter ‘L’ not less than 15 centimetres high in red on a white ground, in clearly visible vertical positions worn over the chest clothing) ... Any opinions?
    I will be optimistic. My optimistic opinion is that people see it fr what it (hopefully) is. An actual attempt to address the idiotic system whereby it is, or at least people think it is, ok for someone to drive a car on public roads on their own without any requirement to have had training of any kind and perhaps having already failed a simple test of competency.

I hope that people simply learn to drive the way people do in other countries, by learning with someone that knows what they are doing. I grew up in the north. No one actually buys a car until they have passed a test, so a starter car is your first car after you have passed, not a car to learn in.

I can't see the take up of bikes increasing as a result of this.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That's how it was for me when I started out, but that was down to the cost of car insurance back then. I spent 5 years on 2 wheels before I bought a car - and I didn't buy my first car until I had passed my driving test. Naturally insurance companies just laughed at me when I asked if my 5 years of road experience and no claims bonus would apply when I switched to a car :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think starter tractors might take off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

They're not going to do this for ages, just look at where we are with the whole licensing laws, and the first of the changes they are going to make, and now we find out that it won't happen for another 8 months, don't get too worried yet.

But when it does happen, they're planning to do it on power to weight ratios, and they are planning to put in decives that will re programme the ECU so that the car will just simply now exceed the quoted power to weight ratio(and it won't be key operated, so if you want to drive your mums 530i using someone elses key, the car will be permanently de-tuned until such time as you pass the test, so won't won't get away with that either)

What I'm looking forward to is the 'reduced speed limits for L drivers', I can't wait to see how thats going to be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

maidhc wrote: »
    I think starter tractors might take off!

Yes, a nice little fasttrack would fit the bill nicely:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

As every1 of us is listening to the bullsh*** that the government has come out with in relation to learner dirvers in the last few days, i can only help feel a decline of the "Great starter car" era and a begining of a "Great starter bike" era. A 1.0 car will no longer be of any benifit, for awhile anyway... Every1 will have to go on Mammy or Daddy's insurance for the six month waiting period... I can feel a rise in the demand for starter >125cc motorbikes as an accompaning driver won't be required for the driver(Althoughd driver must when driving such a vehicle display a yellow fluorescent tabard bearing the letter ‘L’ not less than 15 centimetres high in red on a white ground, in clearly visible vertical positions worn over the chest clothing) ... Any opinions?

How bad. Might be good for people to gain experience driving around on a mode of transport that makes them vulnerable, instead of cocooned in their 4x4s driving around with tunnel vision.

Advertisement