Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington 700

Options
  • 29-10-2007 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

I am thinking of trading in my Brno 527 for a Remington 700 Varmint. Does anyone here own this rifle? I am looking for a .223 with a heavier barrel, any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I have one in 220 swift. can't recommend it enough. Going for a 223 will probalbly mean you'll have to reapply for a new licence and you'll probably need a safe and monitored alarm. Also 223 licences seem to be frowned upon by a lot of supers now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

The 527 i have is a .223

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

jcatony wrote: »
    I am thinking of trading in my Brno 527 for a Remington 700 Varmint. Does anyone here own this rifle? I am looking for a .223 with a heavier barrel, any recommendations?

dont go for the sps the accuracy is brutal.

The 527 i have is a .223

Not a bad rifle, CZ I presume, Remmy VSSF would be more accurate, but heavier and bulkier, straight swap on thr licence front, how bad ?

pm. wrote: »
    dont go for the sps the accuracy is brutal.

I've heard that accuracy from sps is suspect alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

Whatabout the tikka tactical?

Whatabout the tikka tactical?

Friend I shoot with has a T3 Tac in 223 and 308, very good guns, thread recently will fill you in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Since you're going from a .223 to a .223 the thing you'll be asking for in the Garda station is called a "substitution". All that changes on the licence is the make of the rifle and the serial number, this can and is filled in with genuine Bic Biro, and stamped if I remember rightly. This can be done infront of you then and there. I went from a Tikka .223 to a Remington VLSS .223 this year. Although I got faffed around for a week, I kicked up a fuss and he did it pronto. Like I said it can and should be done then and there for you.

As for the models...
    VSSF II (17REM has one in .223)
    VLSS Thumbhole (which I have in .223)
    VLS (know a lad in England has one in 22-250, he's delighted with it)

Those are the three I would be looking at. I put the VSSF II first as I figure it's got the edge with the stock. Be warned though, these are HEAVY rifles for carrying around, part of the fun though isn't it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

My local station won't do substitutions. Everything has to go back to the district HQ. Nothing happens fast where I am.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

I have one in 220 swift. can't recommend it enough. Going for a 223 will probalbly mean you'll have to reapply for a new licence and you'll probably need a safe and monitored alarm. Also 223 licences seem to be frowned upon by a lot of supers now.

Yep i have one in 220Swift too VSSf totally superb rifle very accurate and extremly devestating:D only thing is its quite heavy!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

When you guys were saying that the accuracy of the SPS was suspect, is that the standard SPS or the SPS Varmint…I have a 700 Varmint VLS and its bang on, pardon the pun, as far as accuracy but its not a .223….i like the look of the SPS Varmint and I have heard that they flew out the door of Duffy’s in Galway in .223

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

tha standard sps isnt free floated.that could be a cause of the reported inacuarcy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

TomBeckett wrote: »
    Yep i have one in 220Swift too VSSf totally superb rifle very accurate and extremly devestating:D only thing is its quite heavy!!!
    i have the same one, it is very heavy but there is hardly any recoil as a result

Mac Tire wrote: »
    When you guys were saying that the accuracy of the SPS was suspect, is that the standard SPS or the SPS Varmint…I have a 700 Varmint VLS and its bang on, pardon the pun, as far as accuracy but its not a .223….i like the look of the SPS Varmint and I have heard that they flew out the door of Duffy’s in Galway in .223

standard, haven't seen or heard anything of the varmint

Advertisement