Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do lawyers do it???

• 29-10-2007 9:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

How can lawyers defend murderers and rapists, even when they know for sure that the accused has committed the crime?
    <snip - herr K>

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

*sigh*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

How can lawyers defend murderers and rapists, even when they know for sure that the accused has committed the crime?

<Snipped Herr-K>

What about doctors helping the same people when they are sick?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

Oi! Whats the *sigh* for?

Yes I know they make money, that's great.

Anyways, i was trying to make a point but some moderator did a drive-by on my post. Now it's pretty meaningless.

Ok by bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Oi! Whats the *sigh* for?

Yes I know they make money, that's great.

Anyways, i was trying to make a point but some moderator did a drive-by on my post. Now it's pretty meaningless.

Ok by bye.
    No; it's really not. It's fine without your example. The case you cited is an on-going case? As such: It's unethical (and illegal?) to imply guilt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

A classic film from the 1980's called "From the Hip" explains all! It's a well observed drama starring Judd "Bender" Nelson a hot-shot lawyer who defends evil (although you're not supposed to know that at the start - woops I've said too much) murderer (damn I've done it again!) John Hurt.

Imdb only gives it 5.7 but don't be put off by that score. It's at least a 5.9 imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ask OJ's or Michael Jacksons lawyers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

biko wrote: »
    Ask OJ's or Michael Jacksons lawyers.

Johnie Cochran died, would be hard to ask him, though with your recent paranormal activity, perhaps not impossible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

I believe that they have an obligation to defend their client to the last. The whole point is to give EVERYONE a fair trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

If the guilty party doesn't tell the truth (and Solicitors are bound to disclose all information that is in their knowledge), it is hearsay. If the Solicitor suspects, but the person has not said anything indicating that they did in fact commit such and such a crime, they are duty bound to their client.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Afaik, they don't ask questions re: guilt, as if admitted they must disclose it. So they defend people with a story. They are spin doctors really, and everyone is entitled to a fair trial- plus innocent till proven guilty. It might be about money for some of them, but its a job that needs doing. It mightn't seem fair to you, but what if someone is unfairly accused? What about the extenuating circumstances in each case? They do an important job, and while some are sleazy,most aren't. This can be said about every job. Its the people, not the profession that makes someone/something bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Everybody is entitled to a defense so as to ensure the real story comes out. It has turned out before that people who looked as guilty as sin turned out to be innocent. As long as the lawyer does everything above board then if he's guilty he will still be convicted and the appropriate sentence will be given.

The only problem I have with lawyers like that is when they get people off on a technicallity when they are obviously guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

cooperguy wrote: »
    The only problem I have with lawyers like that is when they get people off on a technicallity when they are obviously guilty.

Judge Curtin case was a classic example of this.
    And while everyone complains about it, in a way they are doing the gardai/DPP a favour as they showed them their error and hopefully it won't happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yeah, let's assume everyone who has been arrested for rape and murder is guilty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Is the OP serious or just trying to be a smart-arse?

Everyone has the right to a fair trial in front of a judge/jury of their peers. It is not the place of the solicitor to determine guilt, its the place of said jury. Otherwise you have a system where only the blatantly innocent would be represented.

And even if the solicitor thinks they are guilty, again its not his call. For example, what if the defence team for the Birmingham Six had looked at the police evidence and decided they couldn't morally represent these people?

Hey it's nothing more than a rant really. It's like saying "how can fat bastards keep on stuffing their mouths like that while there's kids dying in Africa".

If the evidence against the criminal is overwhelming - like O.J.'s case, in a lawyers position I would just find it hard to care if he gets a fair jail term or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If the evidence against the criminal is overwhelming - like O.J.'s case, in a lawyers position I would just find it hard to care if he gets a fair jail term or not.

Don't become a laywer so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Lol - yes, money that's why we do it... well still a law student so maybe my idealist view of the world will change once I'm trying to earn above minimum wage as a trainee barrister...could take up to 10 years.

Personally I was shocked that the person in the A case (rape of underage child) was released and re-jailed. Our constitution took a battering there I think. Lawyers/judges are supposed to look at the law and apply it fairly to all (doesn't matter if you're a rapist, murderer or politician - interesting titbit; rapists and politicians are often given special protection in jail as they are regarded as the lowest of the low by even the criminals themselves).

One particular case may seem like a very bad decision i.e. Curtain case or A case (A was rejailed though - public pressure overwhelming senses of judges in my opinion). But looking at the whole picture our legal system is based on the fact that it is better to let a few bad apples get off than to imprison one innocent person. Of course the law is constantly evolving to try and close off loopholes but within reason. This is why we have such principles like right to silence and right to legal representation.

Finally imagine how bad it would look if a lawyer appointed to defend someone refused? The jury would not give a fair trial at all to the accused.

And of course lawyers, being human, are fallible - they are tempted by greed and corruption just like any of us.

If for instance I knew my client was guilty of say murder - I would be obliged to put his/her best case forward - I trust the prosecution to do the same. I could not lie and say he did not commit murder but could provide mitigating factors (I would also be challenging the evidence of the prosecution to make sure the evidence is up to standard). It is up to the jury to decide on the evidence presented the facts of the case, and the judge to decide the sentence. We're all just cogs of the great big legal system.

Finally as a law student - I do not have first hand experience of working as a criminal defence barrister so what we learn in lectures could be quite different to the real world (and sadly it often is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

According to the Bar Council of Ireland's code of conduct,
    So long as an accused maintains his or her innocence a barrister’s duty lies in advising the accused on the law appropriate to his or her case and the conduct thereof. Barristers shall not put pressure on the accused to tender a plea of guilty whether to a restricted charge or not, so long as the accused maintains their innocence. Barristers should always consider very carefully whether it is proper, in the interests of justice, to accept instructions to enter a plea of guilty. They should ensure that the accused is fully aware of all of the consequences of such a plea and they should insist that the instructions to plead guilty are recorded by their instructing solicitor in writing and in their presence. Where the accused is pleading guilty barristers should not accept instructions to tender a plea in mitigation on a basis inconsistent with the plea of guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

Admission of guilt by client
    In criminal matters it is a matter for the jury or the court, not for the advocate for the defence, to decide the guilt or innocence of his client. It is the duty of the solicitor for the defence to put the prosecution to proof of what it alleges and the solicitor may submit to the court that there is insufficient evidence adduced to justify a conviction. Where, prior to the commencement or during the course of any criminal case, a client admits to his solicitor that he is guilty of the charge, it is well settled that the solicitor need only decline to act in such proceedings if the client is insistent on giving evidence to deny such guilt or requires the making of a statement asserting his innocence. Where the client has admitted his guilt to his solicitor but will not be giving evidence, his solicitor may continue to act for him. The solicitor for the defence may also advance any other defence which obliges the prosecution to prove guilt other than protesting the client‘s innocence

More than likely, the lawyer will steer well clear of drawing out an admission from his client. He will just find out how you intend to plead and then build a case; perhaps advising a different plea if he thinks necessary.

If I was charged with murder and I started to tell my barrister that I had indeed done it, I wouldn't be surprised if he put his hands over his ears and said "na na na I'm not listening"

I have been through the whole legal thing but I don't think I could go on to be a solicitor. Not because I am concerned about ethics or morals, it's just that years of study and exams have left me feeling as if my brain has been rotating in a microwave for a decade. I look forward to a nice simple office job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

While I understand the necessity for lawyers in our legal system, I personally couldn't do the job. I think a certain level of amorality is required to be able to deal with the possibility of helping guilty people walk free. Not the nicest way to earn a living imho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"How do lawyers do it?" By dropping their briefs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Everyone is entitled to a representation in court regardless of guilt. A person may have killed someone but perhaps the rightful outcome is that they are convicted of manslaughter rather than murder in light of some mitigating circumstances. Some people can be set up really badly leading to a miscarriage of justice and they deserve representation. Otherwise are we to allow the tabloid press to become judge, jury and executioner?

Stereonick wrote: »

More than likely, the lawyer will steer well clear of drawing out an admission from his client. He will just find out how you intend to plead and then build a case; perhaps advising a different plea if he thinks necessary.

If I was charged with murder and I started to tell my barrister that I had indeed done it, I wouldn't be surprised if he put his hands over his ears and said "na na na I'm not listening"

I have been through the whole legal thing but I don't think I could go on to be a solicitor. Not because I am concerned about ethics or morals, it's just that years of study and exams have left me feeling as if my brain has been rotating in a microwave for a decade. I look forward to a nice simple office job

The solicitor and barrister are completely separate. I'm not sure exactly what the op is referring to but I'm assuming he's on about the whole Hollywood style American courtroom where the lawyer becomes almost possessed and starts ranting and bullying the witnesses. It doesn't actually work like that, well not in Ireland anyway! ;)

This line applies to the role of the barrister,
    In criminal matters it is a matter for the jury or the court, not for the advocate for the defence, to decide the guilt or innocence of his client.

I don't see the issue with the line you bolded either. :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Jigsaw wrote: »
    Otherwise are we to allow the tabloid press to become judge, jury and executioner?
    Given that this is AH, yes.

On a related note, Bring Back Birching.

An Citeog wrote: »
    The solicitor and barrister are completely separate. I'm not sure exactly what the op is referring to but I'm assuming he's on about the whole Hollywood style American courtroom where the lawyer becomes almost possessed and starts ranting and bullying the witnesses. It doesn't actually work like that, well not in Ireland anyway! ;)

This line applies to the role of the barrister,

I don't see the issue with the line you bolded either. :confused:

Well my good man, I know they are separate, I did law you know :D And this is not from an American document, rather an Irish publication about duties of solicitors and barristers. That is exactly how it works over here, if you receive an admission of guilt, you are not to defend that person if they maintain that they will plead innocent.

That line means that it is not the barrister's concern whether his client is guilty or not. He is concerned with arguing his case by however he pleads.

Anyway, the bold type stresses that if a client admits guilt to his barrister and then still persists in pleading innocent, the barrister should refuse to represent him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

"How do lawyers do it?" By dropping their briefs?

I misread that as 'by dropping their beliefs', weird

Well my good man, I know they are separate, I did law you know :D And this is not from an American document, rather an Irish publication about duties of solicitors and barristers. That is exactly how it works over here, if you receive an admission of guilt, you are not to defend that person if they maintain that they will plead innocent.

That line means that it is not the barrister's concern whether his client is guilty or not. He is concerned with arguing his case by however he pleads.

Anyway, the bold type stresses that if a client admits guilt to his barrister and then still persists in pleading innocent, the barrister should refuse to represent him.

I know I quoted you but I was referring more to other posts in this thread where terms like lawyer, solicitor and barrister were being used interchangeably.

I agree with the whole admission of guilt thing aswell, sure I even posted about it before you! ;)

K Sorry :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭2rs

Is there not something in the code of conduct of a barrister which prevents them from refusing a case without good reason?

The fact that the client is perceived to be guilty of murder or other nastiness is not a good enough reason for a barrister to turn down a brief afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Saint Bob

Cause they get paid either way?

2rs wrote: »
    Is there not something in the code of conduct of a barrister which prevents them from refusing a case without good reason?

The fact that the client is perceived to be guilty of murder or other nastiness is not a good enough reason for a barrister to turn down a brief afaik.

certainly not, if they are perceived to be guilty. But if a guy accused of murder argues his innocence with all his might and then in private confides to the barrister "i killed her" then he is not supposed to agree to argue his innocence further

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭2rs

certainly not, if they are perceived to be guilty. But if a guy accused of murder argues his innocence with all his might and then in private confides to the barrister "i killed her" then he is not supposed to agree to argue his innocence further

let me put it another way. If a solicitor comes to a barrister with a brief to defend an accused child rapist or murderer, can the barrister turn the brief down?

I think this wouold then answer the OP's question as to how lawyers can do it. The answer would thus be that they have to???

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Silverfish wrote: »
    Money.

^^^^^^^^^^^

You can analyse and analyse the OP's question, but at the end of the day it all comes doen to 'the almighty (insert currency)'

Well of course he can turn it down, but why would he? I'm just saying that if the client is pleading innocent and then tells the barrister that he is guilty and that he wants to plead innocent then the barrister should strongly advise him to change his plea. Strictly speaking, a barrister cannot go ahead and argue his innocence once he has received an admission of guilt. However in reality, from talking to a relative, most barristers keep the issue of whether or not their client actually did it as far from their minds. They just listen to what the client wants to claim in court and then help them build a defense with the evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Awful Scut Mk2

Christ, no. I've had to sit through a couple of murder trials as an observer and the sheer tedium of the tactics adopted by some of the highest paid barristers in the land would have forced me as a juror to acquit the accused so that I could get out of there.

It basically goes like this -

Bewigged twat: "I put it to you that you are lying."
    Witness: "No".
    Bewigged twat: "I put it to you that you were never there that night".
    Witness: "I was there."
    Bewigged twat: "I put it to you that you have fabricated your entire testimony."
    Witness: *snores gently and drools onto chest*

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lynnlegend

even if the person is clearly guilty like the macanns they still have a right to be tried to prove there guilt or lack there of ......and some one will always shovel sh*t if the price is right

I'm not sure exactly what the op is referring to but I'm assuming he's on about the whole Hollywood style American courtroom where the lawyer becomes almost possessed and starts ranting and bullying the witnesses.

Where does my original post imply possessed hollywood lawyers?

Anyways, I was referring to a particular case in the opening post. Said post was subsequently raped, and is now just a general statement/rant/question. It picked up a bit of steam though, I'm liking it.

Advertisement