Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Stereo With IPod Connection

Options
  • 29-10-2007 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I drive a 07 Renault grand scenic that only has the bog standard factoryfit stereo.Does any body know if it's possible to change the stereo for one with an ipod connection without sacraficing my in dash display and steering column audio controls,plus I have a parrot bluetooth handsfree connected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Have a look on pixmania.com. Alot of car steros are equiped with either an SD or USB port.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don't bother fitting a new headunit, just get a Dension Ice Link Gateway. it uses the CD changer slot in the back of the headunit and is hard wired into the car. much better than getting rid of the factory unit.

http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/iPod_Car_Kit/For_Factory_Fitted_Radios/Renault_iPod_Car_Kit/Dension_Renault_Gateway_100_iPod_Car_Kit/Renault_ice%3ELink_Gateway_100
    here's the blurb:
    The Ultimate Renault Car Integration Kit for your iPod...The Dension Gateway 100 brings complete integration of the Apple iPod with your factory fitted Renault radio. Simply connect the Gateway 100 to the CD changer socket of your radio and start enjoying crisp, clean digital music. Imagine having access to over 10,000 MP3s at the touch of a button!

The operation is simple: Gateway 100 translates CD changer messages to iPod controls and switches the iPod automatically on and off as you select/deselect the CD changer source. The iPod is controlled from the head unit‘s CD changer keys and steering wheel controls (where available) and your iPod is charged while connected.

Forget the need for poor quality cassette adapters, illegal FM Transmitters and trailing cigarette lighter cables. The Dension Gateway 100 is available for a huge range of OEM Factory Fitted and Aftermarket radios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ditcher24

I don't know much about this kind of thing but I'm not sure if my stereo will have this output on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Isn't there some kind of transmittor for playing your ipod through the radio - plug your ipod into it and it picks up a preset radio frequency or something like that? Anyone know if these yolks are any good and around about how much do they cost?

There is alright but from what I've been reading the cons out weigh the pros...

• Advertisement

can the ice link 100 be bought in Ireland?

It can, but ebay etc. is your friend if you want it at decent money. Maybe Halfords do them too, they certainly do some Dension products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

There is no problem changing the stereo in modern Renaults.

It is always easier to use an aftermarket stereo with iPod connection as these will have been designed with iPod in mind and therefore be more intuitive to use when controlling an ipod than the factory units. Everyone complains about using a mobile when driving but an ipod is much more distracting so you want something that is safe and easy to use.

The steering wheel controls won't be a problem, the dash display may be possible to interface but it depends on the model, if however it wont connect you will only lose the radio portion of the dispaly and not door warning or temp displays etc.

Whatever you decide do consider changing the speakers as factory ones ( whatever the car ) are dire.

www.securesounds.ie

Does anybody no anthing about the Kensington Digital FM Transmitter for ipod,was looking at one in the apple store for 79.95,?

fm transmittor not as good as wiring directly into stereo cd changer input or aeriel socket. also have to worry about charging ipod.
    I've used the Dension Ice Link FM (readily availible in Halfords)which plugs into the car aeriel socket, technically it's an FM transmittor, but as it transmits directly to the aeriel socket there's no interference, it also provides charge to the ipod.

• Advertisement

Did you get yours in Halfords?Do they supply and fit,how much did you pay for it?

supply only was around 90 quid, easy to fit. think theyll fit it for around 15 or 20 extra

might give them a buzz tomorrow to check it out,naas branch is nearest to me.Would you change speakers too,or would standard radio be decent enough for better speakers?

speaker setup in Scenics is grand, depends on how high your expectations are though.

your right it is good enough,not outstanding but they do the job,i hope this ipod touch is worth all the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Harmon Kardon do an iPod connection kit that has a small LCD screen that can be dash mounted and a little joystick that replicates the controls of the iPod. May not be as neat as the Dension ICE link though.

I got one myself a month or so ago, but it's not fitted yet.

it's definately not as neat! and more expensive too!

Pricewise you can get lucky on ebay. The look and amount components is definitely subjective, it could easily clutter up the car.

i'd find it hard to get the HK unit to blend in with any dash, it's very eye catching, not something you want from a security POV. the Dension could be mistaken for a phone kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cabtaker

while the transmitter does an ok task, and is cheap on ebay,
    it incliudes hiss and backround interferance too,
    there are areas also where i couldnt get any sound from the radio,
    D 14 is one for me anyway,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Does anybody know if there i something like this to connect either the iphone 3g or an ipod nano 16GB to a car stereo?

I'm really getting tired of listening to the same CD's over and over when i've thousands of songs in my pocket

Any help would be greatly appreciated, The car is a Peugeot 206 and the radio is the standard fitted one with a CD player

Any tape drive? If so, then the tape adapters are OK. There also seem to be other proper wired adapters that will work here:
    http://www.nexxia.co.uk/iPod_MP3_Adaptors/peugeot.htm

Advertisement