Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Ripped off

Options
  • 29-10-2007 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Just found out that my remington 700 sps was only worth €850 max from a gun dealer when i went to trade in, its only 3 months old and i was never happy with the accuracy of it so i decided to change it, i was told my anschutz .22 hornet was worth €900 and the remington new is €1100 so i traded in my hornet and gave €200, im so pissed with this gun dealer whom ive been dealing with for years and got him LOT of new costumers, if its ok with the mods id like to name and shame but dont want to get boards into trouble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I feel for you, You should always shop around before making up your mind. Also look to US prices they are a good indication. Then go back and ask how much for ???? look at UK magazines too. It is very easy to buy in the north, Living close to the north I use that as a bargaining chip. I get good value, and purchase from one or two very good dealers, one over the boarder.

send me a pm if you want the details of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I'll presume you want to trade it back to dealer that sold it to you. Bought for €1100, trade in value €850.

Once you take gun out of the shop dealer will knock off 21% of its value, hence €1100 - 21% = €790.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

I'll presume you want to trade it back to dealer that sold it to you. Bought for €1100, trade in value €850.

Once you take gun out of the shop dealer will knock off 21% of its value, hence €1100 - 21% = €790.

i bought it for €1100 when the real price new is €850, cant belive how low this gun dealer scooped to rip me off :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

pm. wrote: »
    Just found out that my remington 700 sps was only worth €850 max from a gun dealer.

€750 for the SPS from Duffy's in Galway:
    http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24&products_id=21

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Where did you get the 850 price?? That maybe so for a straight deal but when you are trading in there has to be a little room for the dealer to make somthing, theese guys work on fairly small mark ups from what i can see, maybe im wrong but thats the way it looks from here,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

if its ok with the mods id like to name and shame but dont want to get boards into trouble.
    There's no problem with naming the dealer and the price you got, but claiming that you were ripped off... well, read 6.5's post, it's right on the money (if you'll pardon the pun). Caveat Emptor applies here in spades I'm afraid :(

Where did you get the 850 price?? That maybe so for a straight deal but when you are trading in there has to be a little room for the dealer to make somthing, theese guys work on fairly small mark ups from what i can see, maybe im wrong but thats the way it looks from here,

maybe i didn't explain myself properly. I traded in my hornet which i was told was worth 900-1000 for a remington .223 sps plus i paid €200 as i was told the remington was worth 1100. How much do you think these dealers should make and what do you call being ripped off as some people have said the rrp on the sps is a low as 750 a big difference to 1100.

It would appear you may have been ripped off, I would imagine a 'cash price' would be less than the €850 ? €1100 does seem a bit dear, I got a VSSF for €1600 and that was a 'trade in' price

It would appear you may have been ripped off, I would imagine a 'cash price' would be less than the €850 ? €1100 does seem a bit dear, I got a VSSF for €1600 and that was a 'trade in' price

ill take a trip down to the gun dealer tomorrow and see what happens, if the response is negative i will name and shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

1150 for my VSSF, cash.

• Advertisement

Gerri wrote: »
    1150 for my VSSF, cash.

That's an exceptional price !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭17REM

vssf ii for 1300. you shold have rang around not much point crying about it afterwards

just got back from Mulvihills gun shop in ballymahon co.longford, when i explained my case to dave ( the owner ) he showed me the cost price of the sps €600 plus vat, he sells this gun for €950 a big difference to €750 here http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24&products_id=21 i was also told to fcuk off out of the shop no less than 3 times even tho i have spent god knows what over the years and brought a lot of friends to him that spent thousands between them, i will just have to put this down to experience, but i know 1 thing for sure i will never darken the door of that place any more and will tell all i know about my experience :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Well done for naming, hope you told him to go to fcuk.
    Sounds like a right ar**hole does'nt know which side
    his bread is buttered.Hope it all backfires on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

I know a lot of fellas in the shooting game ect that have been to him and go to him and will name and shame him as well, that was not called for!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Which was not called for Keelan, naming the guy or what the guy did to the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Sorry, think you have it rong here some how??
    I think he should be named and shamed, the firearms dealer, who did what he did to P.M.

Keelan.

Fair enough so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bengie

why an i not surprised, i dealt with dave for a good few years also and when i traded in my shotgun he did the same to me my gun was worth €1100 as a trade in but he only gave me €800, same as you pm it wasnt till after i had the deal done that i realized id made a big mistake, i trusted him as i dealt there for years and i to got riped off buyer beware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

I been in the same situation as you lads but not with yer man in ballymahon.. yet. Another dealer local to that area ripped me of . people need to no who they can trust . so why not set up a sticky with provable stories of rip offs and good deals. maybe then these dealers will start to treat us with a little respect instead of prey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Talking about prices and stuff. Has anyone any idea what an Anschutz 1430 in .22 Hornet, built in 1974 with no damage except a broken blade sight and a few small nicks in the wood would be worth ? I was given a price by someone I don't want to mention that nearly made me ring the GP to book a hearing test. Just to give you an idea what sort of rifle we're talking about read the following : I wouldn't be a crack shot with a rifle but a lad most of you will know from here shot a group of 3 shots a little bit less than a centimetre square with it from about a hundred yards.

Talking about prices and stuff. Has anyone any idea what an Anschutz 1430 in .22 Hornet, built in 1974 with no damage except a broken blade sight and a few small nicks in the wood would be worth ? I was given a price by someone I don't want to mention that nearly made me ring the GP to book a hearing test. Just to give you an idea what sort of rifle we're talking about read the following : I wouldn't be a crack shot with a rifle but a lad most of you will know from here shot a group of 3 shots a little bit less than a centimetre square with it from about a hundred yards.

Rifle is 33 years old......€800 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

It is worth as much as someone wants to pay.

Considering that a new CZ is about the same ????????? check the anchutz web for a price comparison
    I know they say firearms of certain quality hold there value, but there is also the chancer who tries to take the pi$$

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

just got back from Mulvihills gun shop in ballymahon co.longford, when i explained my case to dave ( the owner ) he showed me the cost price of the sps €600 plus vat, he sells this gun for €950 a big difference to €750 here http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24&products_id=21 i was also told to fcuk off out of the shop no less than 3 times even tho i have spent god knows what over the years and brought a lot of friends to him that spent thousands between them, i will just have to put this down to experience, but i know 1 thing for sure i will never darken the door of that place any more and will tell all i know about my experience :mad::mad:

That shop is less than 10 miles from me, iv never been in there though, i heard he was fairly sound

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I was offered around 200, that's what I call taking the pizz and a bit more on top. You wouldn't get an Anschutz rimfire for under a thousand Euro new of the shelf...

No wonder you were looking for a hearing test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

i got quoted 750 euros for a remmy 597, when duffys are selling them for 300, what the hell??

750? Holy mother of God. I paid 300 for mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

revan23 wrote: »
    i got quoted 750 euros for a remmy 597, when duffys are selling them for 300, what the hell??

Who quoted that? You should name and shame.

You'd have to wonder who would try a stunt like that with the internet available to anyone who wants to check prices.

• Advertisement

E@gle. wrote: »
    That shop is less than 10 miles from me, iv never been in there though, i heard he was fairly sound

its about 10 miles from me to and i taught he was sound, look what happened to me !!!!

Advertisement