Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

background checks for getting a FAC? Something is not right here

Options
  • 29-10-2007 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I am worried about news locally (from a very reliable source)that a local drug user has been granted a FAC for a shotgun.

What background checks were done if any on this guy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

well if hes a drug dealer he probably needs his gun for his business Tools Of The Trade so he might have argued his point with the super

If this is true its a bit unfair as some hard working legit people find it hard to obtain a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I am worried about news locally (from a very reliable source)that a local drug user has been granted a FAC for a shotgun.

What background checks were done if any on this guy?

Probably has no convictions recorded against him/her. Gardai have to be able to prove you are unfit to hold a firearm. Very hard without arrest/conviction record ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

If you feel he will be a danger to the public tell the Gardai (anonymously if need be) and they'll check and if your beliefs are true they'll take it off him

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

You know he is a dealer, but do the Guards? Put pen to paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Drug user does not mean dealer. So the Guards could easily be unaware to this fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Well spotted! A nice example of Chinese whispers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Hmmmm, first post, unsubstantiated aligations, I smell a rat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Feirmeoir

... just be careful about accepting what your friend says as the Gospel truth. Not that they are lying, but we are all only human and fallible in our knowledge. Unless you personally know who they are talking about, and unless you are personally aware of drug-abuse and a pattern of risky behaviour by this person, perhaps it is worthwhile just remaining aware of your friend's concerns for now without promoting it, until and unless you get your own personal confirmation.

As an example why: a theatre student who lights up their wacky-tabaccy (albeit illegal) on a weekend night, may not be as much of a public hazard as an angry drunk buying (legal) drink on a weekday evening.

I'm not condoning illegal behaviour, by the way, but living in the countryside you get to be aware of the potential power and harm of juicy rumours. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 worried shooter

Ok, I know for a fact that this guy is frequently off his face on hash and other class A drugs and is very violent. I have witnessed with my own 2 eyes.

I am just worried that he might do something stupid whilst off his face.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you know this for a fact and you're worried, you're morally duty-bound to report it to the Gardai. If you're repeating rumour, then you're committing libel. And if this is a wind-up for a tabloid story, none of us are amused. In any case, I think the thread's covered the necessary ground. Personally, if you know this person has a drug problem and a violent temper, I would say you have an ethical duty to report him or her, as their licence is invalid - firearms certificates cannot be issued in such circumstances. No responsible person would do otherwise.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement